Re: new Eminem - Survival & Berzerk

Post by sleazy_j »

and overall voice, too.

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

Balzac wrote:

on point for the most part

personally i think flow and wordplay can take a song pretty far, regardless of beat and subject matter.
^^ what a fucking geek.

"Rap God" is more than the sum of its parts, in the big picture. This track is especially fucking phenomenal if you keep from intellectualizing it with petty or cynical rap critique.

Like Kendrick did on the "Control" verse, it's basically Eminem acknowledging and laying claims on a title that people already had given him. It's a bold fucking move. Add to that how he fucking RIPS THE BEAT TO SHREDS in his illest demonstration yet as to why he is considered one of the Rap Gods... I remember when people used to refer to "'Till I Collapse" as Eminem's hardest verses, they are all obsolete now. This will be in the middle of an album with shorter conceptual tracks and hopefully more laid-back effortless stuff but this one was to just kill it for six straight minutes and send that message. Like MB said, all versions of Eminem are in there and hell fucking yeah rap nerd in the video I laughed at that make-a-cake-for-the-women-line.

Being skeptical of Eminem's music is understandable, he fell way the fuck off for a while... Two months ago I still had him sort of written off like it seems most of you have but I lucked out getting into a good headspace to appreciate the inspired Eminem of 2013. Either it's my biggest set-up for disappointment in a while or I managed to completely tune in to something real, but either way waiting for MMLP2 is making this a good fucking month. Listening over and over to that tracklist I posted earlier.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

yeah, my main criticisms are with the beat. the lyrics are pretty fucking amazing. sometimes they are really childish, and sometimes they are slightly insightful. most of the time, they are of a lyrically lyrical nature, ha. clever and witty enough to be entertained by it, and not be making excuses for it.

even though the last 6 bars of him trying to justify why he still hates women is :bunk: to me but whatever

the rest of it is a good fucking rap song and is supposed to be the kind of thing you do if you want to proclaim yourself a "rap god". dude's just styling on it, and that's okay. ESPECIALLY WHEN MOST MOTHERFUCKERS IN THE RAP GAME ARE -NOT- PUTTING ANY FUCKING EFFORT INTO THE LYRICS ON THEIR GOD DAMN RECORDS, FOR FUCK SAKES :nut:

I DO like this rap critic's shitting on 'Berzerk', and totally agree with his one :spidey: point: Eminem taking things back to the Beastie Boys of 1986 is kinda stupid because honestly, few people that were HARDCORE INTO HIP HOP back in the day actually liked the Beastie Boys "License to Ill" when they first came out. That shit was frat-rap and white-b-boy party music that went platinum cause they were white, gimmicky and on Def Jam. That's why Beastie Boys totally evolved their sounds beyond "License to Ill" with "Paul's Boutique" and "Check Your Head". Marshall took it back too far! It's not just because the hook is weak and the rhymes are silly that 'Berzerk' sucks... it's also because you're biting an era of the Beastie Boys that I didn't fucking like!! :rofl:

Eminem's best rock/rap song is his verse on 'Fuck Off' with Kid Rock. :lock:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

step one

Post by step one »

Mindbender Futurama wrote: MOST MOTHERFUCKERS IN THE RAP GAME ARE -NOT- PUTTING ANY FUCKING EFFORT INTO THE LYRICS ON THEIR GOD DAMN RECORDS, FOR FUCK SAKES :nut:
You keep saying this but based on what you discuss on here you seem to mostly focus on the big mainstream artists. There's plenty of people still doing proper rappitty raps. Did you check the new Black Milk album for example?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Dap

Post by Dap »

The Frankest wrote:
Balzac wrote:

on point for the most part

personally i think flow and wordplay can take a song pretty far, regardless of beat and subject matter.
^^ what a fucking geek.

"Rap God" is more than the sum of its parts, in the big picture. This track is especially fucking phenomenal if you keep from intellectualizing it with petty or cynical rap critique.

Like Kendrick did on the "Control" verse, it's basically Eminem acknowledging and laying claims on a title that people already had given him. It's a bold fucking move. Add to that how he fucking RIPS THE BEAT TO SHREDS in his illest demonstration yet as to why he is considered one of the Rap Gods... I remember when people used to refer to "'Till I Collapse" as Eminem's hardest verses, they are all obsolete now. This will be in the middle of an album with shorter conceptual tracks and hopefully more laid-back effortless stuff but this one was to just kill it for six straight minutes and send that message. Like MB said, all versions of Eminem are in there and hell fucking yeah rap nerd in the video I laughed at that make-a-cake-for-the-women-line.

Being skeptical of Eminem's music is understandable, he fell way the fuck off for a while... Two months ago I still had him sort of written off like it seems most of you have but I lucked out getting into a good headspace to appreciate the inspired Eminem of 2013. Either it's my biggest set-up for disappointment in a while or I managed to completely tune in to something real, but either way waiting for MMLP2 is making this a good fucking month. Listening over and over to that tracklist I posted earlier.

whole post is fucking LOL worthy

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

can't believe that goofy shitball is ever posted in earnest
moved by duck muscles

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

Meh. Berzerk works for me, I'm a Rick Rubin apologist and a big Beasties fan so I'm a big softy for what's going on there. A lot of fairly blatant trend following going on here, but in Eminem's defense, he's not the first an he most certainly won't be the last - ie, followup title to a big 90's lp, Rick Rubin, synch-laden beats. That said, if you're going to straight up jock Yeezus' beat preferences then why not go all out and try to work with the guy on something really innovative as opposed to signing off on second tier beats that are only vaguely reminiscent (if that) of what was happening on Yeezus. Hmm indeed. Survival is cringe-worthy cornball Eminem waste at its finest.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

step one wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote: MOST MOTHERFUCKERS IN THE RAP GAME ARE -NOT- PUTTING ANY FUCKING EFFORT INTO THE LYRICS ON THEIR GOD DAMN RECORDS, FOR FUCK SAKES :nut:
You keep saying this but based on what you discuss on here you seem to mostly focus on the big mainstream artists. There's plenty of people still doing proper rappitty raps. Did you check the new Black Milk album for example?
I listen to lots of other stuff. A solid majority of the new school are people who just echo various aspects of the major label superstars anyways, so whatever. I'm fucking OPEN to hearing ANYONE doing TOTALLY brand new, fresh, innovative hip hop. Last time I asked y'all to put me on to all this super next level fresh dope creative tight ass rap music y'all are hearing... nobody puts down shit. :bunk:

I'm about to peep that 'No Poison No Paradise'. But Black Milk was never a lyricist that made me :ohsh: , has he stepped his rapping up? His music is good and his beats are very good, but it doesn't blow me away.

Say what you want about major label rap music, but I haven't heard ANYONE ON EARTH go as hardbody bananas blackout on the lyrics as I've heard Eminem do with 'Rap God'. If you have, then post the song here please. Thank you.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

LilLeftBrain wrote:can't believe that goofy shitball is ever posted in earnest
I showed you the water, LilDonkeyBrain.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

can't say I know what that's about but I feel inclined to throw out a The RankFest
moved by duck muscles

step one

Post by step one »

Listened to Rap God for the first time last night. 'OMG rap skillz' aside it doesnt warrant repeated listening. Beat is shitty and chorus is annoying ( so a standard Eminem track really).

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Ah yes, reciting lines written over a decade ago, retreading shock-value homophobia to much lesser effect, and making Monica fucking Lewinsky references in 2013 - signs of effort, as long as you're rapping real fast!

If there's anything to be learned about post MMLP Em, it's that he has zero regard for lyrical content so long as those lyrics work phonetically and rhythmically. He's still really talented on a technical level, and he still finds interesting and unique patterns and flows, but the content is complete drivel and comes off as shockingly out of touch.
The new 'gears of war' Bro-rock shit is a turnoff too. I saw someone of twitter say Em makes music for dudes who post their workout routines on Facebook, which seems like an accurate summary.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

binary

Post by binary »

Rap God is fucking insane, goddamn. perfect song for the gym.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

binary wrote:Rap God is fucking insane, goddamn. perfect song for the gym.
https://twitter.com/the_blueprint/statu ... 3591332864

step one

Post by step one »

Kony Montana wrote:I saw someone of twitter say Em makes music for dudes who post their workout routines on Facebook, which seems like an accurate summary.
sleazy_j wrote:
binary wrote:Rap God is fucking insane, goddamn. perfect song for the gym.
https://twitter.com/the_blueprint/statu ... 3591332864

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Kony Montana wrote:
Ah yes, reciting lines written over a decade ago, retreading shock-value homophobia to much lesser effect, and making Monica fucking Lewinsky references in 2013 - signs of effort, as long as you're rapping real fast!

If there's anything to be learned about post MMLP Em, it's that he has zero regard for lyrical content so long as those lyrics work phonetically and rhythmically. He's still really talented on a technical level, and he still finds interesting and unique patterns and flows, but the content is complete drivel and comes off as shockingly out of touch.
The new 'gears of war' Bro-rock shit is a turnoff too. I saw someone of twitter say Em makes music for dudes who post their workout routines on Facebook, which seems like an accurate summary.
I don't even disagree witcha, bruh. Some of the stuff in 'Rap God' is fresh lyricism to me ("the walking dead, but I'm just a talking head, a zombie floating" etc.) but a decent amount of it is :naswtf: :naswtf: :naswtf:

That being said: Marshall STILL PUT 'EFFORT' AND FOCUS into the writing of the song, which is more than can be said for a whooooole heap of rappers nowadays. I'm fucking SICK of this whole "yeah, I'm the next Jay-Z/Lil Wayne yo, Ion't eem hafta WRITE NUFFIN DOWN, SON! I jes walk in da boof and spit hot flames off da top, SHIT IZ CLASSIC MATERIAL EVERY TIME. Too busy countin' money to spend time on my wordplay, potna" :bunk:

The other two songs Em dropped are just weak songs, but... at least he tried? They just weren't very inspired ideas, not the final result. The original intention of 'Berzerk' is semi-admirable I suppose, but still, the song itself is something that's a bit too much in the 'Just Lose It' category of Eminem's more cringe-worthy work. 'Survival' shouldn't even be on the album, that's just sad. Leave that song buried on the iPod of a dead Call of Duty soldier. :arrow:

Eminem says he put in a lot of work into this album, and there is 5 bonus songs, ONE FEATURING SIA :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: (that could be the next 'Stan' but better cause Sia >>>>>>>>>>> Dido) but still... as you said: Eminem doesn't say much, at the end of the day. A lot of the content is seriously questionable to the point where we gotta wonder: "does Eminem ever leave his Detroit mansion bubble and actually interact with the world in a way that ISN'T watching it broadcast by some pop media network on the internet or TV?" :killacam:

And he said in Rolling Stone: "It's not necessarily a sequel". We'll see what THAT means :omar:

Rap is outta control.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

probably the first time a "radio single" with Rihanna mentions Kool Keith, which is an accomplishment in itself.

i dig the beat, but i don't think the song rides it well. it's like a bad blend or mashup.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

mint fucking legend! monster god! RAP GOD!!! Eminem is ultrakill
moved by duck muscles

step one

Post by step one »

Casual on the 'Rap God' beat (free DL)

http://casual1.bandcamp.com/track/he-st ... ems-rapgod

Mindbender to lose his whole shit in 5...4...3...2...

LYRICS IS BACK, YO!

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

sleazy_j wrote:probably the first time a "radio single" with Rihanna mentions Kool Keith, which is an accomplishment in itself.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

step one wrote:Casual on the 'Rap God' beat (free DL)

http://casual1.bandcamp.com/track/he-st ... ems-rapgod

Mindbender to lose his whole shit in 5...4...3...2...

LYRICS IS BACK, YO!
:cheers:

:bow:

:copy:

and I never want to hear 'The Monster' ever again. The Kool Keith line is literally the only redeeming moment in the whole song. :bunk:

rapgods is outta control

SpecialAFFEX

Post by SpecialAFFEX »

Casual is still around??

He had one decent album and could not fuck with Em on any level.

And I'm not even an Eminem fan.

Will download MMLP2 when it leaks and give the shit a spin or two.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Kool Keith's reaction to being mentioned.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.2 ... -reference
"I don’t take the phrase like a diss," he said. "I take it as he had a moment of his life to think about me for a couple of seconds. That’s really good. All the rappers know me in general. For him, all the rappers look up to him. That’s the thing in general. One day we’ll get on the track. Hopefully, he calls me to do that song and we get a song. Trade some vocals and stuff like that. I’m glad. That goes to show that I am still current. You don’t have a box to put me in. I’m not labeled from the guys that are back in time and the rappers that can’t keep up with the current moment. That’s a very good compliment."

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

obviously Keith's going to flip it to work in his favor. "i'm still current."
Eminem's been dropping PE, Heavy D, etc. old school names in recent tracks.
Maybe pandering to say "i know old school rap, guys".

oh, well, this new song doesn't do anything but add to that.

http://potholesinmyblog.com/eminem-love ... ick-lamar/

this definitely doesn't fit the "marshall mathers lp" gloomy feel.

edit: album leaked.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

sleazy_j wrote:obviously Keith's going to flip it to work in his favor. "i'm still current."
Eminem's been dropping PE, Heavy D, etc. old school names in recent tracks.
Maybe pandering to say "i know old school rap, guys".

oh, well, this new song doesn't do anything but add to that.

http://potholesinmyblog.com/eminem-love ... ick-lamar/

this definitely doesn't fit the "marshall mathers lp" gloomy feel.

edit: album leaked.
best song out of the 4 so far.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

That's dope as fuck. Flows for days.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

legacy ain't bad
UBM CD COMING SOON

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

i noticed on the last few Eminem albums, he'll have songs with hooks with uncredited singers, and songs with credited singers.
must suck to be singing a hook that doesn't get listed as a feature on the tracklisting.