ackbar
Super Canadian

Re: Worst Album of The Year

Post by ackbar »

jigga

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Tough choice between Em and Jay. Went with em.
Why are drake and pusha here? I'm not a huge fan of either but they were both received pretty well.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

alpha

Post by alpha »

Like how some of these are on the best album poll too

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

That gif maker deserves serious props.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Yeezus. No contest.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Jay doesn't really deserve to be on here.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Jay doesn't really deserve to be on here.
Oh but it does.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Philaflava wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:Jay doesn't really deserve to be on here.
Oh but it does.
Nah. And Yeezus has not business here either.

The answer is Eminem.

PEACE

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Yes, please explain Magna Carta being in here.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Wait, has anyone heard I am not a human being II?

that's not one of the worst albums of all time?

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

I Am Not A Human Being 2 has one of the best singles of 2013/Wayne's best single in years with Rich As Fuck and a Gunplay verse on Beat The Shit.

For those two reasons (and Curtains which is also dope) it doesn't deserve to be listed alongside the Joe Budden, Eminem and Wale atrocities.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Doris.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

12 reasons to pop the disk
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

yeezus because of the blow potential for making something really interesting as opposed to what it actually was - the half formed ideas of a coke riddled aspergers case that is so insecure he needs to ruin borderline interesting songs by talking about what he came on.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

LOLz.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Employee wrote:Doris.
:naswtf:
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

ardamus wrote:Yes, please explain Magna Carta being in here.
because, though it is much better than 'Blueprint 3', it's still so shitty that I still have never listened to it all.

it was revealed to be underwhelming after the initial hype died down, but it's not the worst thing of the year.

THE WINNER IS EMINEM.

HL :bunk: ing
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

step one

Post by step one »

Mindbender Futurama wrote: it was revealed to be underwhelming after the initial hype died down.
to the suprise of absolutely no-one thats listened to rap for more than 2 years.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ChaMerZ wrote:
http://www.syffal.com/earl-sweatshirt-doris
Roundtable Review: Earl Sweatshirt - Doris

Employee

What's the best track and why?
"Centurion": Earl's only genuine Saafir-on-"Hype shit" moment; Scorcese-style attention to detail courtesy of the finally plugged in protagonist. "Uncle Al" is a close second; nipping at "Centurion"'s brackish backdrop and bomb-drops. Fly ass beat, big and expansive, swirling around an assassin-level Earl laying waste to everyone and everything.

I recommend listening to this record while...
Cleaning your house; changing a diaper; sorting your recycling; trying to impress everyone at your junior college; riding a bike with a cigarette dangling from your Herpes-highlighted lips; cruising Tumblr; evaluating the FDA's statements about Lexapro; seeking out the assistance of a mental health professional; or riding in an elevator.

While I listened to this record, I pictured...
Being admitted to a residential drug rehabilitation center; being involuntarily admitted to a psychiatric hospital; watching MTV while holding a gun to the right side of my head; shook parents; a dismayed Donahue screaming at Earl; social abattoirs; double standards; a thermometer protruding from my hairy chest displaying the cold temperature in my heart; and throwing it out the window of my car on the 880 (a/k/a Nimitz) at 80 MPH.

Anything else to add?
"Doris" is, at its epoch, a half-ass mixtape; one of those weird promotional detours that is ultimately a footnote in a rapper's catalog. Unfortunately for Earl (and myself) "Doris" is his first rap baby: anticipated, planned for, brimming with potential. But somewhere along success' path, the new Rap Savior stumbled onto a bumpy stretch and shat "Doris"; out of what feels and sounds like obligation, really. There's no sense of a contemporary, burgeoning maturity despite the reviews from the Cultural Sensitivity Police loudly citing one. If anything, "Doris" is a sad, disappointing, galactic fart from a post-Camp Brainwash could-be phenom.

So many of its songs fall flat on their face out of the gate ("Pre", "Burgundy", "20 Wave Caps"); others run out of steam too soon, too painfully ("Whoa", "Hoarse", "Sasquatch"). As intros go, "Pre" is among the worst I've had the misfortune of subjecting myself to. Such an acutely mediocre set of hot bars at the outset defines the remainder of the journey. SK La'Flare pulls a reverse Saafir-outshining-Casual by dropping what has to be the highest profile, lowest common denominator intro in recent memory. Why, how, and who is responsible for this are questions I, myself, will ponder for ages. And Mr. La'Flare is not the only guest who outstays their welcome: the countless Odd Future cameos are forgettable save one Tyler punchline: "We're runnin' shit like dingleberries on four cheetahs." And that only sticks out like a sore, psychological thumb because of its authentic absurdity. I know that landing RZA on your debut is an unrealized wet dream for the world at large, but to earn his stamp of approval in the form of a lackluster loop while he gruffly recites "I Fuck THE FRECKLES OFF YOUR FACE, BITCH" redefines underwhelming. Acting like Odd Future is incapable of rapping is (a) dishonest and (b) inaccurate, but on "Doris" they, individually and collectively, plead weaker cases for themselves than a posse of Gary DiPasquales.

Another disconcerting element is Earl's turn toward what can only be described as "whining." The triad of "Chum", "Sunday" and the disgusting "Burgundy" sum up this paradigm. "Burgundy"'s beginning is easily-digestible pablum for crybabies. Why does Earl require that I, the listener, inquire as to why he's so psychologically vexed? Am I suddenly obliged to lead myself to The Guilt Zone for expecting that a rap album from a dope rapper contain dope raps? Preposterous (and I actually like the beat). Where it takes the proverbial cake, eats it, and vomits it all over your church clothes, though, is when the beat drops and the world's coolest man-child utters "My grandma's passin', but I'm too busy tryin' to get this Fuckin' album crackin'...to see her, so I apologize in advance if anything should happen, and my priority's fucked up and I know it..." Ignoring dying elders in order to further one's career is a hallmark of sophistication? Of course it isn't (unless you exist in a thought vacuum where acting like a brat into early adulthood and dressing the act up in Rap Clothes bestows on you false wisdom).

There's been suggestions that "Doris" is one of music's greatest, artistic shell games of all-effing-time; that he purposely comes across as a human Haldol. Teasing the audience with a peculiar assortment of appearances, track placement, production, and his alleged disconnect with reality and rap. You know: that this is a purposeful con job and the true gems are in the mail; that Earl pulled a rap David Chase Art House Facial and left us to wonder what it all means in the end. But the idea that this is an elaborate ruse is not one I can or will buy. Everything it is is mundane and old hat: the album cover with its trademark, "Fuck YOU, MOM & DAD!!!", keychain-esque, Madonna-redux blasphemy; contributing to the Kanye-induced Season of the Whine with his juvenile "Woe is Me" rants and verses; and a patina pockmarked by paltry production. I came here for rap; not for a peek into a bellyacher's allegedly wounded psyche.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Employee wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:
http://www.syffal.com/earl-sweatshirt-doris
Roundtable Review: Earl Sweatshirt - Doris

Employee

What's the best track and why?
"Centurion": Earl's only genuine Saafir-on-"Hype shit" moment; Scorcese-style attention to detail courtesy of the finally plugged in protagonist. "Uncle Al" is a close second; nipping at "Centurion"'s brackish backdrop and bomb-drops. Fly ass beat, big and expansive, swirling around an assassin-level Earl laying waste to everyone and everything.

I recommend listening to this record while...
Cleaning your house; changing a diaper; sorting your recycling; trying to impress everyone at your junior college; riding a bike with a cigarette dangling from your Herpes-highlighted lips; cruising Tumblr; evaluating the FDA's statements about Lexapro; seeking out the assistance of a mental health professional; or riding in an elevator.

While I listened to this record, I pictured...
Being admitted to a residential drug rehabilitation center; being involuntarily admitted to a psychiatric hospital; watching MTV while holding a gun to the right side of my head; shook parents; a dismayed Donahue screaming at Earl; social abattoirs; double standards; a thermometer protruding from my hairy chest displaying the cold temperature in my heart; and throwing it out the window of my car on the 880 (a/k/a Nimitz) at 80 MPH.

Anything else to add?
"Doris" is, at its epoch, a half-ass mixtape; one of those weird promotional detours that is ultimately a footnote in a rapper's catalog. Unfortunately for Earl (and myself) "Doris" is his first rap baby: anticipated, planned for, brimming with potential. But somewhere along success' path, the new Rap Savior stumbled onto a bumpy stretch and shat "Doris"; out of what feels and sounds like obligation, really. There's no sense of a contemporary, burgeoning maturity despite the reviews from the Cultural Sensitivity Police loudly citing one. If anything, "Doris" is a sad, disappointing, galactic fart from a post-Camp Brainwash could-be phenom.

So many of its songs fall flat on their face out of the gate ("Pre", "Burgundy", "20 Wave Caps"); others run out of steam too soon, too painfully ("Whoa", "Hoarse", "Sasquatch"). As intros go, "Pre" is among the worst I've had the misfortune of subjecting myself to. Such an acutely mediocre set of hot bars at the outset defines the remainder of the journey. SK La'Flare pulls a reverse Saafir-outshining-Casual by dropping what has to be the highest profile, lowest common denominator intro in recent memory. Why, how, and who is responsible for this are questions I, myself, will ponder for ages. And Mr. La'Flare is not the only guest who outstays their welcome: the countless Odd Future cameos are forgettable save one Tyler punchline: "We're runnin' shit like dingleberries on four cheetahs." And that only sticks out like a sore, psychological thumb because of its authentic absurdity. I know that landing RZA on your debut is an unrealized wet dream for the world at large, but to earn his stamp of approval in the form of a lackluster loop while he gruffly recites "I Fuck THE FRECKLES OFF YOUR FACE, BITCH" redefines underwhelming. Acting like Odd Future is incapable of rapping is (a) dishonest and (b) inaccurate, but on "Doris" they, individually and collectively, plead weaker cases for themselves than a posse of Gary DiPasquales.

Another disconcerting element is Earl's turn toward what can only be described as "whining." The triad of "Chum", "Sunday" and the disgusting "Burgundy" sum up this paradigm. "Burgundy"'s beginning is easily-digestible pablum for crybabies. Why does Earl require that I, the listener, inquire as to why he's so psychologically vexed? Am I suddenly obliged to lead myself to The Guilt Zone for expecting that a rap album from a dope rapper contain dope raps? Preposterous (and I actually like the beat). Where it takes the proverbial cake, eats it, and vomits it all over your church clothes, though, is when the beat drops and the world's coolest man-child utters "My grandma's passin', but I'm too busy tryin' to get this Fuckin' album crackin'...to see her, so I apologize in advance if anything should happen, and my priority's fucked up and I know it..." Ignoring dying elders in order to further one's career is a hallmark of sophistication? Of course it isn't (unless you exist in a thought vacuum where acting like a brat into early adulthood and dressing the act up in Rap Clothes bestows on you false wisdom).

There's been suggestions that "Doris" is one of music's greatest, artistic shell games of all-effing-time; that he purposely comes across as a human Haldol. Teasing the audience with a peculiar assortment of appearances, track placement, production, and his alleged disconnect with reality and rap. You know: that this is a purposeful con job and the true gems are in the mail; that Earl pulled a rap David Chase Art House Facial and left us to wonder what it all means in the end. But the idea that this is an elaborate ruse is not one I can or will buy. Everything it is is mundane and old hat: the album cover with its trademark, "Fuck YOU, MOM & DAD!!!", keychain-esque, Madonna-redux blasphemy; contributing to the Kanye-induced Season of the Whine with his juvenile "Woe is Me" rants and verses; and a patina pockmarked by paltry production. I came here for rap; not for a peek into a bellyacher's allegedly wounded psyche.
ouch, pretty inflammatory. i'd understand if it was one of your cookie-cutter, flavor of the month rappers but Earl? really?

:omar:

or are you just trolling?

i wrote a rather long-winded, track by track review of earl a while back so might as well venture a shameless plug of my own: http://afroterminal.wordpress.com/2013/ ... w-hip-hop/

my views are on the other extreme of the spectrum.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

If you think criticism or critical thinking or not liking an album, even passionately, in a review is trolling, you should probably stop writing.

As for your review: I found it to be milquetoast and very in line with what most tools with limited knowledge write when they are writing about Rap.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

everyone has to start from somewere. well thanks for reading anyhow.

step one

Post by step one »

Emp still salty that he's on what must be his 5th or 6th different blog now, put a ton of effort into his writing and still no one gives a fuck what he thinks.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

More or less.

illuminati_guy

Post by illuminati_guy »

mmlp2
budden
magna carta

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Yeezus...

I actually like MMLP and Magna Carta :megaman:
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

MMLP2 with Magna Carta as a close second. Eminem fans make me :jaz:

My favorite of these albums is french's. Some of the beats banged. All around crap albums though.

Kace

Post by Kace »

I can get how the Kanye and Eminem joints were the most dissapointing albums, but they weren't the worst in that list.

Voted Lil Wayne.
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

GhostDog

Post by GhostDog »

Yeezus. Easy pick.