Roc Marciano thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Gregg Popabitch

Re: Roc Marciano thread

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Philaflava wrote:I find that I enjoy Ka the most in the car.

perlman

Post by perlman »

This is ill. You faggots hating on it sound like groupies. Waaaa I want all marci all the tiiiimmmmmeee waaaaa!
If I had a hammer/I'd build a city on stilts

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

Nah this shit is trash...Marcberg and Reloaded are ill...90% of the Features on here suck...

MistaTurk

Post by MistaTurk »

easily his worst release so far... he needs to take a break for a while (no answering phone calls for guest appearances espeicially).
it's a cold world betta pack your own heat

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

This thread is hilarious: in two or so pages he went from being the illest mawfucka alive to Yelawolf.

Loving this, shit is a luxurious listen. You guys also need to admit (nh @ "You guys also need to admit") you would not have been satisfied (nh @ "not have been satisfied") no matter what he dropped (nh @ "he dropped").

Shit is spacious.

Dap

Post by Dap »

shit is good fuck ya'll faggots hating on it

AVENTUS

Post by AVENTUS »

Sebastion Shaw wrote:Knowledge the Pirate is borderline wack to me man. Bunch of meh features and non exciting beats so far.
This.

Roc is biting Alchemist hard with that cover. And conceptually a little too. Mac Miller, Roc, alotta dudes trying to bite other producers on more than just sonics lately.
Philaflava wrote:If Pimpire is his Empire Strikes Back, this is on his Attack of the Clones.
Treated.

The Intro was my favorite beat on it. It's alright, but Pimpire and Reloaded are worlds better.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

Beats are not throwaways. Shit is lovely. This man can do no wrong. Have another couple of listens. :bow:

DLG

Post by DLG »

beats are dope, but as phila said, not nearly as layered and interesting as his usual stuff.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

DLG wrote:beats are dope, but as phila said, not nearly as layered and interesting as his usual stuff.
Lame & Vague, guy; just because you don't cream seven unicorns per rhyme cycle doesn't mean Marci isn't on a killing spree.

Kace

Post by Kace »

I don't see any problem at all with Roc's beats and rhymes on this. Album could really do without the features though, I think that's the only thing that brings it down a bit.
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

DLG

Post by DLG »

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Never thought I'd see the day that Marciano is cast out of the :phila: .

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

I suspect people might warm up to it after a few more listens. Although, I don't mind most of the features, I could have done with a few less as well.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

i was always under the impression that after he was appointed a position of power at Man Bites Dog Records that his intention was to release an album where he produced all the beats and let people collaborate with him. That's exactly what the album did. I'd agree with the majority of those promoting the reactionary backlash that some of the features could have been better but I think the album is pretty good throughout. There are no rappers presently dropping classics album after album, and I'd argue that this doesn't even really count as a proper solo for him, but simply a compilation that he produced and rapped on.

Ned Ryerson
Location: with my helmet on you can't tell me i'm not in space.

Post by Ned Ryerson »

can someone edit guilty simpson off the song he's on? his style does not work in between ka and marci at all.

album is about what i expected. i don't like most of the guest's and with some of the one's i do, their styles just don't mesh well with roc's. Drug Lords, Confuscious and Cut the Check are my favorite songs

Versive

Post by Versive »

Employee wrote:This thread is hilarious: in two or so pages he went from being the illest mawfucka alive to Yelawolf.

Loving this, shit is a luxurious listen. You guys also need to admit (nh @ "You guys also need to admit") you would not have been satisfied (nh @ "not have been satisfied") no matter what he dropped (nh @ "he dropped").

Shit is spacious.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Evidence killed it this year on the strength of his Marc collabos alone.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Agreed on Evidence. Knowledge the Pirate on the other hand has had multiple chances to prove himself and has proven to be a below average rapper time and time again. He'll write a decent punchline every now and then, but he has a horrible voice and can't flow. Take him off the last few Marci projects and replace his verses with Roc or Ka verses and you'd have near perfect albums.

This is dope though, definitely reminiscent of Russian Roulette as far as the type of beats and rappers, but it's nice to have a Roc verse on every song. Lot more high points on Pimpire IMO, especially as far as standout Roc verses. Counfucious is the cut on Beaucoup, War Scars a close runner up.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Thought Knowledge was dope on Pimpire.

Versive

Post by Versive »

I thought he came correct on here too

Versive

Post by Versive »

Only verses I really didn't like were Freeway's and Guilty's

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Versive wrote:Only verses I really didn't like were Freeway's and Guilty's
^^^ This dude just admitted he enjoys Alchemist's rapping.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Haha, he's not bad in the muddy psychedelic Gangrene context.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

he is trying to do that saltine version of that roc marciano flow mixed in with a little doom.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

My thoughts, feelings, and opinions: http://www.syffal.com/roc-marciano-marci-beaucoup
Roc Marciano - Marci Beaucoup

Shit is spacious.

The flyest narrator, already in full-blossom Pimp Mode, slaps his hand strong on 2013's largely sallow face by wrapping it in a bow shaped like a coup. Its tracklist is laden with guests that get most underground heads straight moist: Ka, Action Bronson, Blu, Freeway, and Cormega constitute a handful of his dutiful collaborators. Their utility lies in their respective, collective abilities to intensely shine the spotlight on the opposite of Occam's razor: Roc Marciano. Who doesn't want (yearn/crave/pray for/plead for/beg for/silently weep for) a current crop of Marci's croissants in their basket at the beginning of every winter? Alas, the world is, as Grandma used to say, "unfair" and that means you get what you get. In this case: fifteen anchor bangers from the Deluxe Interior Expert and his superb cohorts. However, it appears as though the inclusion of a guest (or guests) in doses as decisive as Marci Beaucoup's are rankling the feathers of Roc's most ardent loyalists; denouncing and branding it a "contractual release".

Assuming that theory is true, and it isn't, but keeping the assumption in play, here's to toasting my eggnog in favor of Man Bites Dog lining his stocking with extra high-yield T-Bills. Beacuse if this is what Marci is capable of when he is apathetic and, in effect, raging against the machine, one can only wonder what he can accomplished when he is laser-focused. Admittedly, it is jarring upon impact: hearing Roc crowded by so many competing, crowded voices. But the shock rapidly melts, giving way to a delightfully dark thaw. "Drug Lords" is one of his more particularly menacing missives featuring this spine-tingler: "Prepare the airtight recital, Defend the title, Rock the belt to make the flesh melt, Possessed by the wealth, Ya lyin' to ya self, This is like Lion vs. Elk, The Nine is on the shelf" - Yes (and the ensuing shit-talk is the icing on the cake). There's a vicious, visceral backdrop of an incomprehensible game of Pong waged between Shakespeare and Dolemite in all of Marci's coded mini-novels-on-tape. My vociferous praise of his pun puzzles and metaphor mazes is redundant, but his technique of visual rapping is genuinely a glimpse into the future of linguistics.

Not content with only peppering my brain with vibrant, volatile pictures, Marci also produced this year-end-yo-yo all by his Lonesome Dove. And it shows: his cuisine is seasoned with furious flashes of Soul, full-bodied guitar chops, and loop upon coruscating, subdued, acute loop. "Confucius" (which features the yin to his yang, Ka (who is also my preferred Marci collaborator)) is a prime exemplar of Marci's adherence to the loopy-yet-lucid loop. These are not only "dusty but digital": it's distinct and discerning. Taking all the above into account, including his towering past achievements, you'd be hard-pressed to provide a superior candidate for THE PREDOMINANT MC/PRODUCER. I didn't find myself gyrating uncontrollably to all of his cameo-granting preferences, but those are minor complaints in the grand scope of Marci Beaucoup (and Roc Marciano).

Upon listening to this in my headphones I found myself wandering back to my teenage years and hotboxing a friend's car while we listened to the Wu-Tang Clan for between six and eight hours. Absorbing all the rhyme molecules as was humanly and philosophically possible. That was when I felt the most alive; that was when I felt things. Marci Beaucoup is all the smoke, laughter, crassness, vulgarity, and pomp of that era. However, it is now refined into a fine wine that can be consumed by the glass or the bottle. The choice is yours; oh, and take your shoes off before you come in the house, you undignified muthafucker.

Rabbi Jihadovich

Post by Rabbi Jihadovich »

Jesus. I wonder what kind of cringe your faggy review would produce on Roc's face if he ever read it. The only music you should ever review going forward is Mindbenders.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Rabbi Jihadovich wrote:I wonder
:pause: