Macklemore won all the Grammys

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

sleazy_j

Re: Macklemore won all the Grammys

Post by sleazy_j »

Philaflava wrote: I've never seen him actually say or do anything.
same could be said for Ant until Atmosphere dropped their third or fourth album with him behind the boards.
some producers just chill in the background.

i don't care for Macklemore, but i'm happy to see an "independent" artist clean house at the industry circle jerk that is the Grammys.
i'd rather see Macklemore win than give Kanye West the opportunity to give an acceptance speech.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Awa ... erformance
look at the fresh prince, or Young MC.
the Grammy wins always go to the most cookie-cutter white friendly song or album out there, anyhow.

i'm sure "Parents Just Don't Understand" was as ridiculously overly loved by whites in 1988, and Schoolly D fans were probably like "what is this shit?"

so, nothing new happened.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

^^ I agree with everything you just wrote. Especially the Kanye bit.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

panthergod

Post by panthergod »

He supports faggots.

Thats what this boils down to.

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

You dudes are liars! WE all would've loved to see another Kanye acceptance speech .
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I'll just leave this here.

Studio CDQ
Imagination Dragons - Radioactive Remix feat. Kendrick Lamar
https://dl.shared.com/fsek9nhnxh

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Philaflava wrote:I'll just leave this here.

Studio CDQ
Imagination Dragons - Radioactive Remix feat. Kendrick Lamar
https://dl.shared.com/fsek9nhnxh
Trash

PEACE

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

After Team Bey performed, they were the best thing about last night. Kendrick might have stolen the whole show.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

that performance was terrible. the daft punk performance >>>
not even close

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

ackbar wrote:that performance was terrible. the daft punk performance >>>
not even close
:fail:
Blinded by the colorwayz me thinks

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

daft punk, pharrell, nile rodgers, stevie & an incredible 70s studio recreation >>> imagination dragon's "mash up" greeklife white party

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Brougham33 wrote:Image
:rofl:

AVENTUS

Post by AVENTUS »

1st: Thrift Shop was funky as hell, and I would cosign that being nominated and even maybe winning song of the year. Not the Gay song (which is what I assume won)

2nd. This Mormon shark-ass MF is the weakest sperm that ever came out of Brother Ali's white-haired testicles.

3rd. Hollywood should be ashamed of themselves, and their own hyper- sensitivity about their place and social standing in every corner of western culture. Our culture is just like any other disposable tool to them. Pieces of shit......all those awards. Give the nigga ONE. Not 4.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OO18F4aKGzQ

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:Wasn't surprised at all, in fact knew it would happen going in. Look, "the Grammy's" isn't some monolithic institution with an anti-black agenda, it's just a bunch of people voting about music that they never listen to, and it's flaws expand way beyond selecting the right rap album each year (something they've never done well). But, funny that the turd Macklemore himself addressed it a lot more succinctly than most of you who got your panties in a bunch:
Macklemore Says He Had "An Unfair Advantage Due To Race" At The Grammys

Macklemore calls his Grammy wins, "The blessing and the curse."

Macklemore says that his four Grammy wins yesterday have both positive and negative aspects.

“It’s the blessing and the curse, a little bit more the curse,” the Seattle rapper said during an interview with New York radio station Hot 97 that was published today (January 27). “First and foremost, Kendrick [Lamar] is a friend of mine. He’s somebody that I love his music and, in my opinion, had the best Rap album of the year. And knowing how the Grammys usually go, I knew that there would be a great chance that we’d win that award and, in essence, rob Kendrick. That’s what happened tonight. It kind of sucks. I think we made a great album. I think that Kendrick made a better Rap album.”

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis won four Grammys yesterday (January 26), including Best Rap Album and Best Rap Song. Macklemore said he knows why he and Lewis were so successful at the award show.

“In terms of the people that are voting on those ballots, filling out those bubbles, we have an unfair advantage due to race, due to the fact we had huge radio success, due to the fact that our name was circulating more in a pocket in the industry of people filling out that ballot,” he said. "This is not like a Rap Radar poll, like a 2DopeBoyz poll. This is not a Hot 97 poll. This is the Grammys. This is many different types of people. All different age groups filling out a ballot where they might not necessarily know the genre.”

Macklemore also explained why he said he felt he “robbed" Kendrick Lamar, in particular, at the Grammys.

“What makes it awkward for me is the fact you never want to be the person that is robbing somebody else,” he said. "I think if you look at what the Grammys are, I think that what people don’t understand is what the Grammys are a bunch of people that are on the Grammy committee or in the industry [that get] a ballot. I got a ballot this year. Now, as I’m filling out the ballot, I’m realizing I don’t know much outside of the genre of Hip Hop in terms of who should get what award. So I’m like, ‘I don’t really know about singer-songwriter or country music or whatever,' but people are filling out bubbles of genres that they don’t know about. And that’s the process of it.”
OH, so you're completely aware of the discrepancy and imbalance due to race, but you don't say ANYTHING BEFORE THE SHOW OR ON THE AWARD SHOW?

Fuck this fool. I'm not buying this bullshit anymore. This is my Paul Mooney making moment. I'm not gonna be a white apologist and just smile and nod while this white washing of mainstream hip hop culture happens in front of our bleeding, crying, ever-widening eyes. I see nothing but racism and double standards and fraudulent connections gwanning. We're not in a post-racial, post-hetero paradise. And Macklemore is NOT the poster boy for "conscious hip hop" in 2014.

He says he's ignorant to other genre artists... so why is he filling out a Grammy ballot? He just proved how ignorant the system is, and he also stated that he contributes to its ignorance perpetuating. And him KNOWING how fucking BAD it is for him, the only white artist, to be going up against Kendrick and Co., and knowing BEFOREHAND that his whiteness MIGHT tip the scales in his favor? And then, after it DOES happen, he doesn't say anything until the next day... ON FUCKING HOT97, instead of saying it to Rolling Stone Magazine or on Jimmy Fallon or some white mainstream media outlet? How many fucking ways can this guy try to lie about his naivete regarding the depths of his complicity in the creation of hip hop white supremacy?? FUCK. THIS. WACK. NONSENSE. IN. ITS. BLEEDING. PINK. SPHINCTER.
Piff Tannen wrote:mindbender, you know if you got a grammy and you felt someone else you were up again should have gotten it, you wouldnt give it up, none of us would. dont even front son. end of the day, shit is still a competition.

would you be this mad if kendrick lost that grammy to drake?
If I REALLY fucking made a decent album, and someone else in hip hop TOTALLY had a better year and better debut: I WOULD HAND THEM THE AWARD. I couldn't sleep at night knowing I was a part of some injustice. I actually HAVE integrity, guys. I am the guy who would rather NOT sleep with a woman, than fuck her while she's drunk. I would rather not be famous and rich, than be famous and rich from music that doesn't come from my heart and soul.

I WOULD give up an award if I DID NOT deserve it. But if I did, then I'd keep it. As anyone should.

Macklemore says, and I quote: "I robbed you." If I felt that way, I'd fucking DO something about it to rectify the situation.

And I wouldn't even give a fuck if Drake or Kendrick won. Either one of them could have taken it, and that's totally a more logical decision by every RATIONAL standard of measurement in the rap music industry. Drake is the fucking top guy in the rap game, and Kendrick is in the Top Ten, maybe even Top Five. Why wouldn't one of their albums win?

BECAUSE: THEY AREN'T GREAT WHITE HOPES :omgracist:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Does anyone read Mindbender's posts anymore? Did anyone ever read them? I'm just curious. Don't get all pissy, Bender; I honestly want to know if anyone reads any of your posts.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Macklemore is going to get the ultimate last laugh this Sunday when the Seahawks do their thing

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i personally loved these pre-cursors to 'thrift shop'

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

bender, your gradual increasing disdain for white people over the last year or so on here is getting a little disconcerting..

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Cleanhobo wrote:Does anyone read Mindbender's posts anymore? Did anyone ever read them? I'm just curious. Don't get all pissy, Bender; I honestly want to know if anyone reads any of your posts.
If a tree falls in the forest, does it still make a sound? :killacam: I believe it does.

The way I feel, if someone actually CARES about the topic in the thread, they will read it.
Have your reading, typing and comprehension skills increased since becoming a daily internet user? Mine have.
I think fast, write fast, kill fast and evolve fast.

Those who can't keep up or can't read a few paragraphs will miss out on lots of valuable info & wisdom.
Do I give even a single lazy fuck? Yes.
Sike! NAAAAH, B.

And if you know what a lurker is, you might get hip to the game as to who else might be reading this gold.

:rofl: oh, it's cleanhobo. welcome back. YOU SEE THIS BULLSHIT? :wtf:

wait :spidey: are you asking "does anyone read YOTMB?" because you're a Macklemore fan? :lol:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Balzac wrote:bender, your gradual increasing disdain for white people over the last year or so on here is getting a little disconcerting..
dude, I fucking LOVE YOU. we've been friends beyond hip hop and beyond all this modern internet message board bullshit.

Balzac, you think when I see you, I would treat you any different than I EVER treated you? I would not. I'm not a douchebag.

I have no problem with white people. No problem! And I have thousands of white friends and lovers, this is fact. I'm not the Black guy who has one white buddy, and "slept with a white girl once, but then got all fucked up and went to only fucking Black women, cause they are my kind." :nut: I DON'T PLAY THAT "STICK TO YOUR OWN" SHIT AT ALL. I AM LOVE INCARNATE. I have respect and kindness for everyone. Including white people!

But I have a serious problem with white supremacy... and the people who perpetuate it. Which primarily are white people, but also include everyone else who wants to benefit from white privilege, and wants to enter the elite wealth club.

And yes, over the years, I have also seen myself evolve (devolve? :rofl: ) into a more fiery person.

When I started here, I was Detroit Red. I'm leaving this prison as Malcolm X, brother.

THE MALCOLM THAT CAME BACK FROM MECCA. The one who was cool with all the cool white Muslim men and women that were bout it bout it. But that Malcolm also had NO fucking love or respect for anything corrupt or evil, whether it was the FBI, the American Government, the CIA, or the Nation of Islam.

THAT'S THE EXACT KIND OF BLACK MAN I AM, THE KIND OF MAN I AM, AND THE KIND OF LOVER OF JUSTICE AND TRUTH THAT I AM.
I don't give a FUCK if someone doesn't like the truths I fight for. This shit has to be done. Freedom depends on it. Cause anyone who isn't paying attention might not notice that certain freedoms of ours are being taken away.
Some white people (and ignorant non-white people) are not aware of that though, so they think I'm the bad guy.
:fail:

I'm your brother, Balzac. Always have been, always will be. Even if I don't make it out to Edmonton every Christmas. I thank you for maturely expressing your concern to me, my friend.

I have no disdain for good people, man. I love ALL people, from white to black and between and beyond :liljon:
I just will NOT hold my tongue anymore when I see lies and corruption and evil and WHITE SUPREMACY or WHITE PRIVILEGE rear its ugly head.

Macklemore won FOUR Grammies and beat out DRAKE, JAY-Z, AND KANYE WEST. Are you fucking KIDDING ME?!

If I were white, I'd be fucking ASHAMED. Why do white people turn a blind eye to the fucking corrupt bullshit that other white people do?
You think that I'm not ashamed when I see BET do some coon-ass award show and pull some bullshit like they did to Charron with the BET Cipher? Corey Charron IS MY FUCKING ACTUAL REAL LIFE FRIEND, and I took his side 1,000,000% over BET's side, when they denied him his spot in the cipher because he's white and nerdy. HE'S ALSO THE BEST SPONTANEOUS FREESTYLER ON THE ENTIRE FUCKING PLANET, so FUCK YOUR RACIST IGNORANCE, BET.

Guys, I speak for JUSTICE. Not Black justice or White justice. UNIVERSAL JUSTICE.
I'll probably be fucking dead and gone before everyone realizes that.

Balzac, thanks for not devolving into an accusatory asshole while expressing your concerns.

Trust me homie: if we get up like all the old school LBA homies used to, you'll know that I'm still the same ol' broham you always knew :ignore: and I'm STILL not as crazy as Conspiracy :rofl: :ff:

Versive

Post by Versive »

As I said the year LL Cool J hosted (last year? I don't remember), it still takes a leap of faith to believe that the Academy even recognizes hip-hop as music. This is business as usual.

Plus ... IT'S A FUCKING AWARD SHOW!!!

There are definitely better, more important places to direct your rage. I find that the best way to protest the Grammy Awards is to stop caring about it altogether and pretentiously scoff at anyone who does.

speaker

Post by speaker »

:rofl: at the efforts to downplay the obvious role of racism in Macklemore's victory in this thread. The general absurdity of the Grammys, and your personal opinion of Mindbender, are irrelevant to that larger issue. The reality is that, within your own niche-market backpack subcultures, many of you are just as inclined to fawn over white artists disproportionately as the Grammy voters. It's obvious in half the threads on this site.

First Beard

Post by First Beard »

Cleanhobo wrote:Does anyone read Mindbender's posts anymore? Did anyone ever read them? I'm just curious. Don't get all pissy, Bender; I honestly want to know if anyone reads any of your posts.
Came here hoping he would be screaming about Richard Sherman, and after only giving this thread a cursory review - not leaving disappointed.

We all know the Grammys are a joke. Daft Punk can win record of the year. Fine. That single is dope. But Kendrick should have won the "bigger category" - Album of the Year. That was the true robbery.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

a good piece of work my friend did

:hooray:

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

You clearly do

PEACE

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

lol hes a truther

the week after 911 too

lol @ this thread

step one

Post by step one »

I dont think I've seen anyone give more of a fuck about a Grammy than Bender has in this thread.

Pop artist wins award at ceremony that recognises achievements in pop music. Its a weird thing to get genuinely upset about
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

all good addi

:cheers:

elohim

Post by elohim »

Honestly, I was kinda mad about the Kendrick snub at the time. But then I read this thread. And admittedly I can only make it through less than half of Mindbender's long-winded half assed diatribes, but that was more than enough. I would probably pay money to stop him from cluttering up threads with his black Will High bullshit.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Balzac wrote:bender, your gradual increasing disdain for white people over the last year or so on here is getting a little disconcerting..
seriously, I'm starting to get pissed off about that shit. Bender just because you are a broke bum, don't start blaming everything on white people. That shit isn't gonna fly with me.

Versive

Post by Versive »

speaker wrote:The reality is that, within your own niche-market backpack subcultures, many of you are just as inclined to fawn over white artists disproportionately as the Grammy voters. It's obvious in half the threads on this site.
Currently 6 out of the 36 most recent non-sticky threads in My Two Cents are about white artists (and two of those are about black artists too (Yelawolf/Lord Jamar & El-P/Killer Mike). I'd say that's pretty proportionate ... and far less than half.

The reality is that you care about the Grammy Awards.