Big Pun
16%
Sadat X
3%

Total votes: 64

Dids

Re: Pick your favorite rapper

Post by Dids »

Quik and E Double are such different producers that I can't imagine that just coming down to a matter of taste. If you wanted to define east cost vs. west coast production for their times, they'd both be pretty perfect examples. Hard to say one's better than the other when they're trying to do such very different things.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

I should've added, besides "Heartz of Men". Cuz yeah that trumps almost anything.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

DJ Quik

c'mon this is the west coast bruh. plus he's one of the only ones on the list who still makes listenable music. masta ace turned into a pretty terrible boring rapper. GZA & big pun only really made one great album each

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

With the AZ and Pun crowd. Pun wins to me because he'd easily win the "guest appearance you'd be most excited to see on a tracklist" award even though he only had one good album. AZ is consistently good since '94 and prolific as fuck. Gza is probably right behind them IMO and I don't really have a problem with him being in the lead. Liquid Swords is the single best album from any of these cats and he was a major part of 36 and Forever and that goes a long way.

Req

Post by Req »

ackbar wrote:big pun only really made one great album
probably because he died
F.U. MOOLAH

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Voted Pun.

Something like Pun > AZ > Kiss > GZA > Sadat for the top 5.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Went with Quik cuz I like the bulk of his work more than anyone on the list, though he's not as skilled a rapper as some of them.

GZA is doing well for a guy with one amazing amazing album and a solo career otherwise filled with snoozefests.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Wu Tang should definitely have tax exemption considering the amount of people it brainwashed into ignoring Raekwon and GZAs comatose old man deliveries after the 90s. Rae sounds like some defeated working stiff reading all them lavish luxury items off a shopping list and GZA sounds like the dudes he was learning astrophysics off last year

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

In 2014, AZ is the rapper I'd most like to listen to. And DJ Quik makes the best music.

PEACE

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Masta Ace is one of my top 5.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Larry2times wrote:Wu Tang should definitely have tax exemption considering the amount of people it brainwashed into ignoring Raekwon and GZAs comatose old man deliveries after the 90s. Rae sounds like some defeated working stiff reading all them lavish luxury items off a shopping list and GZA sounds like the dudes he was learning astrophysics off last year
thank you

:leon:
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

I picked Ace because his catalog is so good and spans so many years. I'm not mad at any of these guys winning though, but I do find it peculiar that a guy with one great solo LP is running away with it. The Force is strong with :wutang:

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

Actually, I guess the same could be said for Pun. He did die though, I'd say that was beyond his control, but he was the size of a Mac Truck, but I digress. Jadakiss can get the fuck outta here. Common and AZ are good choices.

Thun

Post by Thun »

AZ

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

The Afronaut wrote:
sean wrote:had to vote common.
on a stage, no one else on that list can fuck with him.
This is the first time I've heard this, is Com well known as great performer?
He's definitely got a pretty good live show. Often with a band, usually breakdances, freestyles, lot of energy, etc. That said, this list is not exactly a who's who of the best live performers in rap.

I voted AZ, but Common, Pun, & GZA all make sense to me. Sleepy jokes aside, both Beneath the Surface and Legend of the Liquid Swords were pretty solid albums in retrospect. It's just that they both fell in the period when everyone was like "WTF why isn't RZA doing all the beats anymore, this shit's wack," which is an era that went on way too long in my opinion.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Beneath The Surface has its moments but I really didn't like Legend of the Liquid Swords. I kinda like the Muggs album, too.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

out of the rappers still alive and trying to make it rapping (no big pun) i think jadakiss has had the most longevity in the game. i still find his verses interesting, have always dug his raspy voice, and he picks good beats most of the time.

not really concerned with quik because like sermon he gets an automatic pass as a legit musician because he makes beats.

most of the time my favorite rappers aren't going to be producer/rappers.