the Ka thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

unclebengi

Re: Ka - Cold Fact (video)

Post by unclebengi »

Looks like Ka just released a new EP, only in CD form- http://brownsvilleka.com/

Ned Ryerson
Location: with my helmet on you can't tell me i'm not in space.

Post by Ned Ryerson »

:cheers: just ordered. loving the surprise release every summer schedule. could use a tracklist though

any word on the metal clergy album?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

NY people, he's playing in Greenpoint on friday

spent half a day yest trying to find any other trace of that ep but nada. kinda slightly offput that he didn't produce it, the dude credited seems a little corny
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Versive

Post by Versive »

Preservation?!

He has dome some amazing work with Mos Def and used to be in a group with Rob Sonic.

:arrow:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

neither one of those thing fills me with the least bit of confidence. always thought that mos def album was overrated

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

I've definitely been sleeping on Ka. I've really only heard him on Roc's stuff. Thought he was nice, but never checked to see if he had solo stuff. Just ordered all three off his site. Grief Pedigree is super nice.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

EP's a little underwhelming. Only 5 tracks and the first one's just an intro w/out any rapping. The beats seem to be made in his style (even if he didn't make them) and he raps well, but paying for 4 short songs isn't ideal. If there's one person I don't have a problem overpaying for work, it's Ka, but he could have at least upped the ante to 6 songs or so. The one w/ Roc is too short altogether and the others aren't much longer. There is some cool (presumed documentary) interview content from someone who was a criminal turned singer that runs throughout the EP. If anyone can identify it, let me know, but it's not enough to save the miniscule content.

johnatron

Post by johnatron »

not a single snare on this ep. just a heads up...

Versive

Post by Versive »

unclebengi wrote:one w/ Roc
johnatron wrote:not a single snare
ordering now

Ned Ryerson
Location: with my helmet on you can't tell me i'm not in space.

Post by Ned Ryerson »

gotta agree with bengi for the most part. i expected this to be short since it's Ka but it's under 15 minutes total including an intro. and for some reason the song with Roc, which is under 2 minutes long, fades out in the middle of Ka's verse... that said the songs that are on here are really strong. the beats fit his style really well. To Hull and Back is one of his better songs

tracklist in case anyone is interested:

1. The Maestro (intro)
2. Still Heir
3. Fall of the Bronze (New Iron) ft. Roc Marciano
4. Years
5. To Hull and Back

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

I like the new EP (big surprise)

Also, he called it the appetizer before the meal on twitter. So hopefully it's just a little something to hold over until they drop Metal Clergy this year (or at least another Ka full length)
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brayden

Post by Brayden »

I'm really feelin the EP as well. That track with Roc Marciano was real dope until it cut off. Hopefully we get a full version of that on the Metal Clergy album.
The Essence of Rap and Hip-Hop - for the latest underground hip-hop album reviews.

sen

Post by sen »

unclebengi wrote:EP's a little underwhelming. Only 5 tracks and the first one's just an intro w/out any rapping. The beats seem to be made in his style (even if he didn't make them) and he raps well, but paying for 4 short songs isn't ideal. If there's one person I don't have a problem overpaying for work, it's Ka, but he could have at least upped the ante to 6 songs or so. The one w/ Roc is too short altogether and the others aren't much longer. There is some cool (presumed documentary) interview content from someone who was a criminal turned singer that runs throughout the EP. If anyone can identify it, let me know, but it's not enough to save the miniscule content.
Those interviews are with Barry White. Preservation has something out too, I believe, where he flips Barry White samples.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

sen wrote:
unclebengi wrote:EP's a little underwhelming. Only 5 tracks and the first one's just an intro w/out any rapping. The beats seem to be made in his style (even if he didn't make them) and he raps well, but paying for 4 short songs isn't ideal. If there's one person I don't have a problem overpaying for work, it's Ka, but he could have at least upped the ante to 6 songs or so. The one w/ Roc is too short altogether and the others aren't much longer. There is some cool (presumed documentary) interview content from someone who was a criminal turned singer that runs throughout the EP. If anyone can identify it, let me know, but it's not enough to save the miniscule content.
Those interviews are with Barry White. Preservation has something out too, I believe, where he flips Barry White samples.
:cheers:

Would have never guessed Barry White, cool shit.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Still Heir is a Barry White sample.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

The last track on the new EP, To Hull And Back, is a PROBLEM! I love this EP and that song especially.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Yea the whole thing is sick. My initial reaction was more excited than it was for Night's Gambit

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

No bump for the new Adult Swim single son dropped yesterday???!?

KA - Lost Prophet Report
https://soundcloud.com/adultswimsingles/ka-lost-prophet-report

Versive

Post by Versive »

Just listened to it. Sounds great. Ka still digging in the electronic section it seems. Great counterpoint to the EP from earlier this year.

DLG

Post by DLG »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

That shit is pretty ill. He kills it and the samples are awesome but...this no drums thing is getting a little redundant. Imagine this beat with any type of drums? I feel like a dick even complaining about it but with every new song I find myself wishing for a snare.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

you know who is mostly intrigued by the drum tho

:cheap:

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

:copy:

DLG

Post by DLG »

:lol:

Versive

Post by Versive »

*shit, didn't see it up there, my bad

B. Ware tha Siniq

The no drum thing doesn't really bother me - I think it fits his style and voice pretty well. Track is cool, but kind of underwhelming to me in isolation, but I'm looking forward to this project.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Versive

Post by Versive »

Blockhead wrote:That shit is pretty ill. He kills it and the samples are awesome but...this no drums thing is getting a little redundant. Imagine this beat with any type of drums? I feel like a dick even complaining about it but with every new song I find myself wishing for a snare.
I dig this song as is, but have to admit that the drums at the end of the track do make me wish they played more throughout. Still looking forward to hearing the full album though, and still think the Ka-Preservation EP leading up to this album was underrated as fuck.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:The no drum thing doesn't really bother me - I think it fits his style and voice pretty well. Track is cool, but kind of underwhelming to me in isolation, but I'm looking forward to this project.
It doesn't bother me as a thing in general (I'm not Wicked22) but , you know, an entire rap album with out a single kick or snare...I dunno. I just wish he'd mix it up a little. That said, He's too good a rapper to make it a serious issue , I'm just nit picking.

B. Ware tha Siniq

no, I hear you. I'd have to really look at the songs where he's had more percussion (I know it's not much of his solo material, but maybe a few of his guest appearances), but my sense is he generally hasn't sounded as good on those tracks. Very small sample size, I know, so it could've been a variety of reasons for that. I do agree it would be nice to hear him on a whole album with drums sometime just to get a sense of what that would be like in comparison to the work he's done to date. I know you're a fan of his so I didn't take it as a Wicked22'esque criticism.