Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

The Ivy League Nigga

TOTAL SLAUGHTER BOOTLEGS

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

Who got 'em? Post 'em up.

Thun

Re: TOTAL SLAUGHTER BOOTLEGS

Post by Thun »

There was a ustream with good enough sound to follow it.

Absolutely the single worst battle rap event ever. I highly advise you don't watch it. Your future self will thank me.

The Ivy League Nigga

LOL. I saw that stream but, since I'm a nerd, I decided it was too poor quality to even keep watching.

I know it'll suck. But I watch it all, these days,... so, y'know, I'll watch it eventually.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

I liked what Hollow was saying about Slaughterhouse trying to capitalize on battle rap. Made perfect sense.
Other than that, it doesn't match up to a SMACK/URL, KOTD, Don't Flop, UW, and etc. event.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Thun wrote:There was a ustream with good enough sound to follow it.

Absolutely the single worst battle rap event ever. I highly advise you don't watch it. Your future self will thank me.
Nah, I say watch it because it may the beginning of the end for what we know as battle rap. Its a turning point in the whole shit. Like I said, it does not compare to what we watch on YouTube and what we discuss.

The Ivy League Nigga

Okay quality of the event (and bootlegs) aside isn't the headline Mook embarrassing Lux? I said it after Lux battled Hollow that his gimmick was exposed in the third round, Mook picked that up and ran with it. I mean the whole shit is laid bare. Lux can't come back again battling like that.

Mook edged him round one and destroyed him in two and three. 3-0.

Thun

Post by Thun »

This was Lux at his worst, but Mook didn't say a single impressive line and spit tons of garbage. People need to stop basing their opinion on the flatline encephalograph crowds at these events. Anyone who is a Joe Budden fan in 2014, for example, does not have an opinion worth respecting, let a lone the ability to react correctly to something in real-time.

Mook didn't expose shit, when we get a full transcript of lyrics will see clear logical patterns with Lux and a whole lot of random nonsense, as ALWAYS, from Mook.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Destroyed? Quotes please.

Thun

Post by Thun »

BTW, I'm one of the idiots who ordered the online PPV which didn't stream live. I can view it after the fact now, anyone know how I can turn that into a viewable file for ya'll?

The Ivy League Nigga

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair to wholly discount the performance aspect of battle rap (crowd response, flow, gesticulation, the audio drops from the DJ, freestyled-lines that often aren't as intricate as writtens). That stuff is important and what separates it from a text battle on a message-board, right?

Anyway, lyrics as texts are obviously most important and I'll be glad to reevaluate when I can hear it a little more clearly. Though, right now, it certainly feels like Lux got bodied. Regardless of Mook's performance, Lux, as you noted, was pretty anemic and I, like his opponents, find his style/content increasingly tiresome. Maybe you don't.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

so where the bootleg links at

Thun

Post by Thun »

The Ivy League Nigga wrote:I hear what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair to wholly discount the performance aspect of battle rap (crowd response, flow, gesticulation, the audio drops from the DJ, freestyled-lines that often aren't as intricate as writtens). That stuff is important and what separates it from a text battle on a message-board, right?

Anyway, lyrics as texts are obviously most important and I'll be glad to reevaluate when I can hear it a little more clearly. Though, right now, it certainly feels like Lux got bodied. Regardless of Mook's performance, Lux, as you noted, was pretty anemic and I, like his opponents, find his style/content increasingly tiresome. Maybe you don't.

I'm not discounting the performance aspect. What's so great about Mook's performance? That he projected louder? Dude has never been recognized for anything other than being overexcited. Lux's flow and lyrics were on-point if not exciting. It doesn't look good that the GED crowd turned on him but I don't see how that fact makes Mook's performance transcend the usual rand and rave walk around sweaty and overemphasize wack shit circus it has always been.

"Regardless of Mook's performance, Lux, as you noted, was pretty anemic" has never equalled getting "bodied." C'mon man.

"I, like his opponents, find his style/content increasingly tiresome." Interesting, given 30% of Mook's material was flipping Lux lines, poorly.

I don't mean reviewing text only, I mean watching the battle again. After all the impulsive hype dies down, just as in Lux vs Hollow, is anyone really going to make the credible claim that Lux got bodied? I'm seriously doubting that.

The Ivy League Nigga

I didn't mean text as in the written transcript. I meant text as in the content of the words they said. I didn't mean Mook is necessarily a great performer. I meant that the performance aspect, to me, is nearly as important as the text. Crowd reaction, to me, matters. The narrative, context, and expectations leading up to the battle matters. It matters to me that the rappers are exciting and not just reciting technically proficient/impressive but ultimately boring rhymes.

Lux is a talented guy. Like everybody else, I think what he did against Cal was amazing. I just think in the six rounds since then, he's tried to recapture that magic to increasingly less success. And his last two rounds against Mook were utterly flaccid. I understand why someone would still find what he does good/interesting/effective... I just don't. I'm open to the fact that on further listens, I may find more merit in Lux's performance. But after one listen, I do believe he lost by a huge margin.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Mook performed well and beat Lux. Did he catch a body? No. Same with Arsonal and Big T. Arsonal beat Big T but he didn't catch a body.

dubs

Post by dubs »

I watched a lil bit, didnt watch the whole buddens/hollow battle yet. But the whole thing just didnt feel the same as a uw smack etc.

If its even debatable that mook didnt catch an L, im disappointed in lux.
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Yeah the whole event was pretty awful.

If Smack is smart he will move very quickly to reclaim the territory and he credibility that has eroded in the past year.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

^^^This. I think it goes without saying that even the worst SMACK/URL was better than Total Slaughter, IMO.

Thun

Post by Thun »

The Ivy League Nigga wrote:I didn't mean text as in the written transcript. I meant text as in the content of the words they said. I didn't mean Mook is necessarily a great performer. I meant that the performance aspect, to me, is nearly as important as the text. Crowd reaction, to me, matters. The narrative, context, and expectations leading up to the battle matters. It matters to me that the rappers are exciting and not just reciting technically proficient/impressive but ultimately boring rhymes.

Lux is a talented guy. Like everybody else, I think what he did against Cal was amazing. I just think in the six rounds since then, he's tried to recapture that magic to increasingly less success. And his last two rounds against Mook were utterly flaccid. I understand why someone would still find what he does good/interesting/effective... I just don't. I'm open to the fact that on further listens, I may find more merit in Lux's performance. But after one listen, I do believe he lost by a huge margin.
SAM SUNG ON THE WHOLE GALAXY

Thun

Post by Thun »

It should be noted however, that the Road to Total Slaughter reality miniseries was pretty good.

The Ivy League Nigga

Thun wrote:
The Ivy League Nigga wrote:I didn't mean text as in the written transcript. I meant text as in the content of the words they said. I didn't mean Mook is necessarily a great performer. I meant that the performance aspect, to me, is nearly as important as the text. Crowd reaction, to me, matters. The narrative, context, and expectations leading up to the battle matters. It matters to me that the rappers are exciting and not just reciting technically proficient/impressive but ultimately boring rhymes.

I GOT A NEW HAIRCUT AND I'M ACTING UP

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Thun wrote:It should be noted however, that the Road to Total Slaughter reality miniseries was pretty good.

diz should become a rnb singer lol

Thun

Post by Thun »

The Ivy League Nigga wrote:
Thun wrote:

Well, which one is more of a reach?

The Ivy League Nigga

Thun wrote:
The Ivy League Nigga wrote:
Thun wrote:

Well, which one is more of a reach?
Obviously the Mook line. But ya boy Lux had his fair share of WTF-duds too.

I actually don't have the heart to argue about this. I generally like Lux. I just think got his ass handed to him 3-0 this time. The Hollow battle was debatable, but I don't think this one was. Here's to hoping Lux either gets reinvigorated or switches it up in his next battle.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

tehgiftofgab wrote:
Thun wrote:It should be noted however, that the Road to Total Slaughter reality miniseries was pretty good.

diz should become a rnb singer lol
When Daylyt was trolling from the start of the 1st episode, that was pure :lol: z.