Your Old Droog (Y.O.D.) - Nutty Bars

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Kace

Re: Your Old Droog (Y.O.D.) - Nutty Bars

Post by Kace »

He's either Nas or it's all a market ploy by Mass Appeal/Egotripland (and even Nas himself) to create lotta buzz in order to promote their new guy.

Probably the latter.
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

is their video of fat french montana rapping in nas voice or what?

Versive

Post by Versive »

Alright now I'm interested again. Can somebody who downloaded the ep reup that? It's only streaming now.

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

Blockhead wrote:Hits keep coming...
https://soundcloud.com/your-old-droog/sleepers
This is Nas.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Kace wrote:He's either Nas or it's all a market ploy by Mass Appeal/Egotripland (and even Nas himself) to create lotta buzz in order to promote their new guy.

Probably the latter.
It could very well be that it actually is Nas on record, but they'll continue to market it as this new guy even after the show. Send in a dude with a backing track and/or teach him how to sound similar enough to pass.

Didn't Frank Zappa do some shit like this?

Anyway, I bought a ticket to the show. Hoping Nas performs in white face.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Anyway, I bought a ticket to the show. Hoping Nas performs in white face.
:rofl:

pretending to maybe be another rapper=dopest marketing gimmick

how do u know it's not nas? nas isn't this good anymore : (
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

step one

Post by step one »

The Ivy League Nigga wrote:
This is Nas.
Sounds less like Nas than the other tracks tbh.

Probably best to just stop thinking about the whole Nas conspiracy and just enjoy it for being some good rap music.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Money Daniels

Post by Money Daniels »

Maybe I'm misinterpreting something, but doesn't he clearly say "Droog is a cuban" in his most recent song.

It seems like everyone is forgetting that this guy also had a music video on Vimeo that was removed once the Nas comparisons started coming up. It was linked in this thread.

He also says "Prefer a girl my age, but I'll take a cougar down"… isn't Nas 40 something?

I don't get how anyone could think this is ACTUALLY Nas rapping.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

it has to do with how people desperately want nas to rap/sound/be interesting again.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
I think this is a valuable point. If this was Nas, it's the best he's sounded in years and a fairly different approach stylistically and topically than he's ever taken. I mean, if it is him, hats off to him sounding recharged after 25 years of rapping. I just don't see that happening.

I'd also like to echo Step one's point about people missing out on good music getting too caught up on who this person really is. His EP is dope...and the newer songs that have leaked are even better. Whoever it is, he's good.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

*bumps golden era nas*

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

LOL @ golden era

This whole shit reminds me of

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

^^^ word! and remember Sacario too? ha ha, there were a few clone Jiggas :rofl: they never even lasted a summer :copy:

I'm TOTALLY convinced this is Nas though. I feel like I wanna bet money on it, LOL

Nasir is bored and fucking with us majorly. I think this even went as far as someone from EgoTrip or Complex being like "yo Nas, I'm picking your beats for this project... YOU JUST RAP"

the voice is TOO FUCKING CLOSE for it to be someone else. like, fuck this shit.

Shyne sounded like Biggie, but not really too much, he just had a husky bassy voice, but had more enunciation.

YOD sounds 99.999999% percent like Nas. And honestly, this is TOTALLY just a half-pitch-shifted Nasir Jones rapping.

Not only did Nas pitch-shift his voice when he did that song rapping as a girl on "Streets Disciple", he fucked with his voice in crazy (awesome) ways on "Who Killed It?" on 'Hip Hop Is Dead'. Nas has done stuff like this before, and his CLASSIC Funny Or Die sketch is totally the reason why I believe Nas would fuck with rap like this :rofl:

I swear Nas is pulling some MF Doom shit on us :naswtf: :doom:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Blockhead wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
I think this is a valuable point. If this was Nas, it's the best he's sounded in years and a fairly different approach stylistically and topically than he's ever taken. I mean, if it is him, hats off to him sounding recharged after 25 years of rapping. I just don't see that happening.

I'd also like to echo Step one's point about people missing out on good music getting too caught up on who this person really is. His EP is dope...and the newer songs that have leaked are even better. Whoever it is, he's good.
:killacam: x :larry:

I don't think that's the case. The vets can still rap. And REALLY be inspired if they want.
They just have to care, and most of them don't anymore.

Common proved on his new album 'Nobodys Smiling' that he could totally still RAP. Does anyone care? Not really but he can still SPIT.
Raekwon can still rap ill. Eminem can still rap really good, even if his content is almost abominable these days.
Even Jay-Z proved that he can rap REALLY FUCKING DOPE if he wants to, on that 'We Made It' remix with Jay Electronica. I swear that's the best single Jay-Z verse in 10 years. "I'm ready to chase a Yakub back in the cave!" :ohsh: :naswtf:

dudes just get mad lazy and rich, that's all. but Nas is like: lemme get my Dr. Dre on... him and Jimmy Iovine took a dirty ass Bay Area/Compton rapper named The Game and ran him thru the Interscope Gangster-Making Fake Rap Machine, and all of a sudden: VOILA! 'This. Is. How. We. Do.' and 'The Documentary' goes platinum

WHO DOES A FUCKING DEBUT CONCERT AT WEBSTER HALL?!
YOD would have to be connected to someone REAL major to get a first concert that prestigious.
To get a first show at a venue THAT big, he'd have to be connected to someone like... Nas :ohhh: :rofl:

To Complex and NahRight and MAC "LYIN' ASS" MILLER, talmbout this shit like "I met Droog, he's real yoe", I SAY: WE DON'T BELIEVE YOU, YOU NEED MORE PEOPLE :bunk: :lol:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

But if it's proven he's actually a different person, what will you say? Can you really condemn a man for having the voice he was born with?
Also, the venue he's playing is tiny. It's the small room at webster hall. It fits like 200 people.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Blockhead wrote:But if it's proven he's actually a different person, what will you say? Can you really condemn a man for having the voice he was born with?
Also, the venue he's playing is tiny. It's the small room at webster hall. It fits like 200 people.
Nah, I can't condemn a man for having the voice he was born with.

Which is why I TOTALLY fucked with Shyne's music. He was not Guerilla Black or Gravy, who were obviously stretching their voices to try to be Biggie Smalls-like. Shyne was naturally that way. To the point that he now puts on an OBVIOUS nasal-y Italian Godfather eating pasta accent to try and change his natural voice from sounding like Biggie... and it's even WORSE :fail:

damn, its really shitty to have a similar voice... BUT I SWEAR THIS IS NAS!!!! I was avoiding it for a while cause you know how I feel about style biters like The Game and studio gangsters like Rick Ross, LOL. But I never said YOD was wack. GOD NO. I was just like "this guy sounds TOO MUCH like my favorite rapper of all time."

Well no shit... BECAUSE IT ~IS~ MY FAVORITE RAPPER OF ALL TIME :rofl:

RAP. IS. OUTTA. CONTROL. and I TOTALLY believe Nasir Jones has the exact type of sense of humor to try and pull this shit on us. Since 'Life is Good', what's he been doing? Nothing. Just scheming and plotting.

I've been listening to Nas since 1991. A few people have approximated Nas's essence, and some have come like 60-65% close to matching Nas's magic... but Your Old Droog IS TOO GOOD.

This is not some kid from NYC. There's too much fake journalism and fake internet presence. I really don't believe anyone who says they met Droog, and I'm an optimist that has been fooled before by media tricks. This time, I ain't drinkin the juice.

There are WAAAAY too many references to Nas's life in YOD's EP. That's not the rap content of some Russian kid from Brooklyn. And he doesn't shoutout Brooklyn ONCE! That's honestly a serious fucking :larry: for real! Brooklynites are the most prideful NYCers of all, probably!! YOD doesn't sound like a BK dude. He's a Queens n!gga on the low, son!! :sherlock:

Money Daniels

Post by Money Daniels »

LOL @ Nas reaching out to the P Brothers for a beat.

This is 100% not Nas. Why is this even being debated?

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Cause Bender really needs this to be Nas.
It's not just here though. You should hear some of the conspiracy theories.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Blockhead wrote:Cause Bender really needs this to be Nas.
It's not just here though. You should hear some of the conspiracy theories.
I don't need it to be. I just HEAR Nas in the lyrics.
YOD isn't flowing DRASTICALLY different than Nas could flow.
Seriously, all it would take would be for Nas to be like "I'm writing smaller sentences than usual" and voila.
The intellectual content is CLEARLY on a level of thinking near Nas. And how many people do we REALLY have like that in hip hop? Few.
Making a new school remix to 'One Love'? Nas. Is. Fucking. With. Us.

This could all be the crazy ass lead up to the new Nas album (possibly called) 'Nastalgia'... and considering YOD stand for Your Old Droog aka Your Old Friend (in Russian), there is a slight method to this madness. :ohhh:

I just don't see enough evidence that this kid exists for me to believe he's real. No video of him rapping? And he's got all these songs done, with this quality? And sounds like Nas but nobody scooped him up yet?? Fuck that.

IT IS NAS. I'm not :naswtf: about it, I love it actually. Rap is outta control :hooray:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

step one wrote:
The Ivy League Nigga wrote:
This is Nas.
Sounds less like Nas than the other tracks tbh.

Probably best to just stop thinking about the whole Nas conspiracy and just enjoy it for being some good rap music.
It's not a conspiracy. It's just a marketing strategy with multiple stages.

And what the fuck are you talking about?? :naswtf: this sounds SO MUCH like Nas that I won't go back.

I listened to this song last week when I didn't believe it, and was like "wow, this kid got his Nas impression REEEEAL tight now. Uh oh". But now? FUCK THAT NOISE. This is Nasir Jones. Ain't no new kids making rap references to Fat Joe, and Nas always has weird ass sex lines, just like Droog has here. The acapella part of this song is the :copy:

Nas got a compilation coming out on September 2nd on Mass Appeal. Let's see what Nas, oops, I mean Your Old Droog, does for us on September 3rd.

Money Daniels

Post by Money Daniels »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:I just don't see enough evidence that this kid exists for me to believe he's real. No video of him rapping?
There was a music video posted in this thread… it was removed from Vimeo when the Nas comparisons began.

This is a still from the video:

Mindbender Futurama wrote:And he's got all these songs done, with this quality? And sounds like Nas but nobody scooped him up yet?? Fuck that.
I'm 99.9% sure Mass Appeal has "scooped him up".

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

its not nas

that freestyle sleezy posted on page 4 (carwash one) was enough to convince me. no studio magic pitch shifting there. thats his regular voice and its a bit lower than nas's.

also lol @ the line off that rast song "growing up I never heard of atmosphere, slug/I prefer the atmosphere where you might just catch a slug"

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Bender, if this somehow, someway turns out to be someone other than Nas, what are you going to say?
Cause if he turns out to actually be Nas, I'mma feel like a real dipshit.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Blockhead wrote:Bender, if this somehow, someway turns out to be someone other than Nas, what are you going to say?
Cause if he turns out to actually be Nas, I'mma feel like a real dipshit.
i'll scream "RAP IS OUTTA CONTROL" louder than I ever have in my life, that's about it :lol:

then I will ponder the direction of my future because I will not know up from down anymore. and NYC rap will forever be tainted by this :wtf: ness

Balzac, I need to see that video. i repeat: BALZAC, I NEED TO SEE THAT VIDEO. :rofl:

:upload:

I wonder if Nas really got a Russian rap puppet :lol:

step one

Post by step one »

Bender, aside from the whole Nas thing you do agree that this dude is dope right?

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Balzac, I need to see that video. i repeat: BALZAC, I NEED TO SEE THAT VIDEO. :rofl:

:upload:
what video?

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Money Daniels wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:I just don't see enough evidence that this kid exists for me to believe he's real. No video of him rapping?
There was a music video posted in this thread… it was removed from Vimeo when the Nas comparisons began.

This is a still from the video:

Mindbender Futurama wrote:And he's got all these songs done, with this quality? And sounds like Nas but nobody scooped him up yet?? Fuck that.
I'm 99.9% sure Mass Appeal has "scooped him up".
Why would someone remove a video that proves he's legitimately NOT the person being compared to? :naswtf:
Talk about making things more shady and unbelievable. And if YOD was a real human being that wants ANY credibility, he would have said something by now. It's been like fucking three months and dude hasn't said ONE word publicly??? FUCK THAT NOIZE AND DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

YOD is more fucking secretive than Jay Electronica at this point. Fuck outta here with this shit. He ain't no Russian Cuban kid. I know Nas's fucking rhyme content when I hear it, and YOD is the voice of Nasir. Nasty Nas is my favorite rapper of all time. I fucking KNOW when I'm hearing him. And I hear him in every fucking one of these YOD tracks. It's so thinly veiled that it's hilarious. Nas knows the best way to hide the truth is right out in everyone's face. He barely fucking changed it, but he tweaked it a touch, just so it's not too drastic and gimmicky. But cmon, how is "yall can have your arguments about Pumas and Stan Smiths" not a vintage Nas line?

There's a blurry mix of grimy street observations, threatening gangsta violence, clever life wordplay, and autobiographical insight... JUST LIKE NAS ALWAYS RAPS LIKE. He didn't change his essence, he like put on a pair of glasses and was like "I'm not Superman, I'm Clark Kent!" :bunk: :lol:

"My debut's sick like Illmatic" is just too fucking blatant.

"they don't want to know, so keep it on the low/ there comes a time where you let that old persona go" - U47, the Droog song about old men trying to rap and sound like young men :killacam:

Authors write books under pseudonyms all the time, when their original name gets too big and burdensome for the art to just exist. I'm sure it was fun for Nas to just rap on beats, put out an EP and not deal with a bunch of major label hype and promotion red tape bullshit. I'm far beyond convinced that Nas was just like "nobody wants to hear from this old wise man no more. Lemme just pretend I'm an innocent lil rookie for a minute and see what happens"

:cas:

I don't know what Nas is thinking... BUT I FUCKING KNOW THAT THIS IS NAS RAPPING. :smugkid:
FUCK ANYTHING PRETENDING OTHERWISE :rofl:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

As much as it would be great if it were Nas, I don't give him enough credit to be doing some shit like this. The most he could ever muster up was the voice of Harriet. He is too far removed, uninspired and lazy to go to these lengths, let alone come up with these type of rhymes at this point.

step one

Post by step one »

Surely it's win/win though?

If you're being a faggot and obsessing over this being Nas and you're proved right, then you end up with some good new Nas songs. If it's not him then you're still left with some good music.

Money Daniels

Post by Money Daniels »

Bender, I'm guessing you missed the many links posted by Sleazy J on the first page of this thread… http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtop ... 5#p2716507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;