Your Old Droog (Y.O.D.) - Nutty Bars

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: Your Old Droog (Y.O.D.) - Nutty Bars

Post by Philaflava »

step one wrote:Surely it's win/win though?

If you're being a faggot and obsessing over this being Nas and you're proved right, then you end up with some good new Nas songs. If it's not him then you're still left with some good music.
Of course. I think the whole "Mass Appeal" Nas partnership probably lends to the hype. But no way am I believing this dude who sounds like Nas, especially of Nutty Bars is a Celph Tilted/French Montana looking dude. I hear way too much gruff up in that voice.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

watch him reveal himself...

in a costume/wearing a ski mask, on some mf doom steez

nobody will ever know

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

step one wrote:Bender, aside from the whole Nas thing you do agree that this dude is dope right?
Of course it's dope! I never disputed that once

The music is amazing, beats and rhymes

But who is making it is the :killacam:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kace

Post by Kace »

sleazy_j wrote:searching twitter, it seems that R'Thentic (now known as RTNC) is working with him, he even claims him part of his "new group" with some guy named DJ Skizz.
checking DJ Skizz Facebook and I run across this track from 2013
"The droog used to lie about being older, now lies about being younger"

:killacam:
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Kace

Post by Kace »

Another theory is that it's BOTH Nas AND another rapper because his voice sounds very different on some songs. For example compare his voice from the video in my previous post to this new song, where he sounds a lot more like Nas:

Also something else that caught my attention were these words on the cover of YOD's EP: "This EP was overseen by the HOT EP manufacturers of America and TIM DOG" :gyeah:
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Late to the party here but Ill take this to the eardomes over most of whatever else is happening in 2014. My compliments to the chef.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Kace wrote:
sleazy_j wrote:searching twitter, it seems that R'Thentic (now known as RTNC) is working with him, he even claims him part of his "new group" with some guy named DJ Skizz.
checking DJ Skizz Facebook and I run across this track from 2013
"The droog used to lie about being older, now lies about being younger"

this older sounds like it's more pitch shifted than the newer YOD stuff

and yes, I'm kinda thinking it's possible Nas was just bored, surfing the net, and found this kid who sounds a LOT like him, and then :ohhh: a :spidey: to TROLL THE ENTIRE HIP HOP UNIVERSE WITH THE BIGGEST PRANK EVER :rofl: x :naswtf:

we shall see

http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultur ... -old-droog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

no shit. now everyone can be quiet about it

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

:lock:

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

lol if you think this will do it when videos of the guy actually rapping didn't

if i was one of the conspiracy dudes I'd immediately ask why the writer didn't include a picture of the dude, which is standard practice for any profile of a musician

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

there's a video & there's going to be a show soon.

how is this guy any different than action bronson in theory? with the influences, sound, etc. he actually sounds exactly what i would expect a white dude of a certain age from NYC to sound like. add to that a savvy manager who knows how to ride this wave of mystery, and it's all there

nas will prob even make a surprise appearance at his rap show. i wouldn't be surprised at least

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

ahh that video was just added a few mins ago, after I posted the article. that def helps

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

drizzle wrote:lol if you think this will do it when videos of the guy actually rapping didn't

if i was one of the conspiracy dudes I'd immediately ask why the writer didn't include a picture of the dude, which is standard practice for any profile of a musician

yeah. any motherfucking idiot that knows even 2 useless things about print journalism will tell you: wanna make a story more interesting? ADD A FUCKING PICTURE OF THE PERSON YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT :ohhh:

they don't have to be famous, either.

also: who WOULDN'T want to be in on the secret scam Nas is pulling over our ear's eyes? The New Yorker would LOVE to get that kind of rare cred.

:icedit:
This is a pretty good fucking PUFF PIECE. For someone so god damn important in the hip hop atmosphere, this fucking writer does a PISS POOR job of cementing the "fact" that he is "actually in the presence of 'the real Droog'". This isn't that convincing at all.
The idea that Droog might be a young rapper who simply did not like Twitter or Instagram or YouTube or self-promotion was more or less impossible.
:larry: . NO. It's the idea that ANY independent artist would try to be successful today without ANY online media or internet presence in any way shape or form. The internet is a necessary evil to every creative person on earth. This high profile spin doctor piece must feel good for the New Yorker to do up. Nasir's legacy goes to interesting places these days.

Motherfuckers "get an exclusive interview" with one of the most hyped, and mysterious, new NYC rappers of 2014... and DON'T put a picture of him up. :roll: fuck off.

There's MAD references to the 80's and 90's across Droog's shit, from Pumas, Miami Vice to 3rd Bass and Pete Nice... shit that no fucking new jack gives a fuck about, don't gimme that shit. Especially young New Yorkers making music. Joey Bada$$ doesn't make references this nuanced. NOBODY young does :rofl: And there's only ONE song talking about Instagram, which is like a song with Nas pretending he's Destiny's age, he musta had fun with it.

This is really shitty journalism, all things considered. the writing is good, but holy fuck does he avoid the obvious and never even asks: "do you think Nas heard your stuff? and if he did, what do you think he would say?" :naswtf: how the fuck do you not ask Droog that? FUCK OFF with this malarkey :bunk:

but as "Droog" said: "It's all free publicity." Personally, I have no problem being on Nas's street team. :ignore: :lol:

rap is outta control, and this is more interesting than anything else going on this year so whatevs
Last edited by Mindbender Futurama on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

action bronson sounds nothing like ghost AT ALL, that is a weak weak comparison

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

people may be saying the same thing about droog/nas in a year.

MB, for someone who follows hip hop so closely, you're sort of missing the point:
this is all intentional. why on earth would he want to have an IG account when he's managed to manipulate this nas rumor in a way that has generated so much buzz? those references mean nothing as well. the dude is obviously a hip hop fan

don't you remember the weeknd's first year?

Versive

Post by Versive »

Anyone else notice the 3 random-ass Central Islip shout-outs scattered throughout the EP?

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

ackbar wrote:

So...Umm...CASE FUCKING CLOSED THEN, RIGHT?
Bender? Come on, son.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

"Comments are disabled for this video." NO WAY!

dude probably posted this now so there wouldn't be some backlash at his upcoming show from those attending still believing a fantasy.

here's some older rarer stuff.

http://picosong.com/c9Su/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:There's MAD references to the 80's and 90's across Droog's shit, from Pumas, Miami Vice to 3rd Bass and Pete Nice... shit that no fucking new jack gives a fuck about, don't gimme that shit. Especially young New Yorkers making music. Joey Bada$$ doesn't make references this nuanced. NOBODY young does :rofl: And there's only ONE song talking about Instagram, which is like a song with Nas pretending he's Destiny's age, he musta had fun with it.

This is really shitty journalism, all things considered.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Blockhead wrote:
ackbar wrote:

So...Umm...CASE FUCKING CLOSED THEN, RIGHT?
Bender? Come on, son.
Honestly... this sounds REAL close to the recorded stuff... but it doesn't sound like the EXACT same guy who did 'Sleepers'. A certain layer of bass in the voice is missing. And I don't think it's the product of mixing and mastering.
It's real real real close. I'll give you that. But: there's just something fucking rotten in Denmark about this whole shit, dog.

Nas is up to something. I swear! And you know I wasn't on this "conspiracy theory" shit a few weeks ago, even though I been skimming the thread for weeks and skimming the music... but now that I heard the whole EP repeatedly and peeped a few videos, I am with the other folks who say "chu got sum xsplainin' to do, Esco..." :larry:

this shit ain't right though. obviously the dude can rap his ass off, whoever this Russian guy is... but this is one level higher than Shyne sounding like Biggie. This is just kinda creepy.

And y'all wonder why I keep saying "rap is outta control" :rofl:

I still don't think this case is closed, mang... it's not about keeping up the free mysterious promotion like The Weeknd did when he first dropped. Abel didn't really sound like anyone else (except sorta The Dream, but meh, everyone new is a fucking style biter to some degree these days ugh, anyways) and just was really introverted. Maybe this dude is too, but...

maybe it's just my integrity that's fucking up everything. I just can't believe such sound cloning is possible :wtf:

sigh. September 3rd, what the fuck are you going to be :naswtf:

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

wtf bender... its clearly not nas anymore. there is no doubt. what would it take you to change your mind because clearly video evidence isn't enough.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:A certain layer of bass in the voice is missing. And I don't think it's the product of mixing and mastering.
Mindbender Futurama wrote: maybe it's just my integrity that's fucking up everything.
:lol:

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

of course he doesn't sound like the weeknd or spark master tape or zomby or doom or whoever else..
my only point was, there is a strong precedent in this generation of using "mystery" to garner hype for a performer

Sebastion Shaw

Post by Sebastion Shaw »

The hype machine did a great job with him. That's really the only reason dude was even in conversations. He's an ok rapper but folks didn't even talk about his music. They talking about "Is this Nas'

If he builds a career or gets additional press off of this beyond the fact I'll be impressed.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

drizzle wrote:Image
X100000000

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I would be completely surprised to see his hype stretch until the winter.