"Low End Theory & Midnight Marauders are whatever" - Thun

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

aeokq

Re: "Low End Theory & Midnight Marauders are whatever" - Thu

Post by aeokq »

sleazy_j wrote:i've never heard LET or MM in full.
I recommend that you do that.

Any particular reason why? Or Tribe just doesn't appeal to you?

I'm not a gigantic fan but I certainly own those albums.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

i was a broke kid when it came out that didn't have other friends that listened to rap or parents that wanted me to listen to rap. but i still watched yo mtv raps and had videos on vhs and recorded songs off the radio in that late 80s early 90s era. then i got a copy of their first album many years later, like late 90s. then i was just listening to other stuff and never got around to it. no big time hate on tribe, but i managed to still like tons of rap without ever being influenced by the tribe sound.

i do find it amusing kids that got into rap in their teens in the late 90s after MM came out, and went back and used that as their reference point or intro to rap. that just wasn't me, though. "oh you like tribe? yeah i remember when they first dropped. never got too into them, though."

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

^assumed it was a lupe joke
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Low End Theory all day. I liked Midnight Marauders but it just didn't have the same appeal to me like Low End did.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

that brother is dead inside.

I shed tears listening to 'Steve Biko' this year. And dammit was I happy to reminisce over 'Vibes and Stuff'. Them album are timeless.

Opinions are whatever :shittylikesometp:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

midnight marauders is the shit still.
it partially depends on age tho.. thun feels some type of way about the first tribe record cause he's 50

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

sleazy_j wrote: i was just listening to other stuff and never got around to it. no big time hate on tribe, but i managed to still like tons of rap without ever being influenced by the tribe sound.
same

i appreciate what they do and their role in the grand scheme of things, and i don't think the music is bad by any means, but i have no attachment to it at all
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Midnight Marauders is their only front to back classic, imo.

And it's an age thing, but I fuck with Beats, Rhymes, Life over Low End Theory.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Is anyone here who's knocking these albums willing to support the claim that Q-Tip's The Renaissance >>> all Tribe albums?

Fuck it. Hell Razah's The Renaissance > Q-Tip's The Renaissance > All Tribe albums.

admiral

Post by admiral »

step one wrote:Somewhere out there, there's someone who prefers Nastradamus to Illmatic, The Doggfather to Doggystyle and Kingdom Come to Reasonable Doubt

If you like the first Tribe LP the most thats fine but the others are still as good/creative/influential as the general consensus suggests. I find LET a bit samey but love Midnight Marauders and rarely play Peoples... (aside from Footprints)
Description of a Fool is my favorite Tribe song

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

8 million stories >>>

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

Versive wrote:Is anyone here who's knocking these albums willing to support the claim that Q-Tip's The Renaissance >>> all Tribe albums?

Fuck it. Hell Razah's The Renaissance > Q-Tip's The Renaissance > All Tribe albums.
Hell yeah. Hell Razah- Renaissance Child is a modern day classic. One of my favorite albums ever.

I do not, however, think Q-Tip- The Renaissance is a very good album.

Versive

Post by Versive »

aeokq wrote:
Versive wrote:Is anyone here who's knocking these albums willing to support the claim that Q-Tip's The Renaissance >>> all Tribe albums?

Hell yeah. Hell Razah- Renaissance Child is a modern day classic. One of my favorite albums ever.
:cheers: Mine too, absolutely. Should be recognized as Wu canon.
aeokq wrote: I do not, however, think Q-Tip- The Renaissance is a very good album.

step one

Post by step one »

Tip's 'Renaissance' album was great, and much better than I thought it would be. He managed to get the ATCQ feel in there and still sound 'new' at the same time.

remix of the title track is a classic as well. Probably the only time I'll listen to a Lil Wayne verse
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Versive wrote: :cheers: Mine too, absolutely. Should be recognized as Wu canon.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Adorable as that is, I'm not sure I understand what it means.
Am I, your dog, pawing for attention with overly-assertive, if well-intended, praise for an unheralded classic? And you, the stoic feline, calming me via moderation? Gif is on some film school shit. I can't wait to go home and smoke weed.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Versive wrote:Adorable as that is, I'm not sure I understand what it means.
Am I, your dog, pawing for attention with overly-assertive, if well-intended, praise for an unheralded classic? And you, the stoic feline, calming me via moderation? Gif is on some film school shit. I can't wait to go home and smoke weed.

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

Lol. Last few replies were funny.

As far as The Renaissance, I haven't listened in a while. The only thing I remember is that it was too soft for me, for lack of a better description. I tend to go for more gritty beats (sorta like that Razah), and this had a cheesy fake positive vibe. I dunno, guess it just wasn't my style.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

drizzle wrote:
sleazy_j wrote: i was just listening to other stuff and never got around to it. no big time hate on tribe, but i managed to still like tons of rap without ever being influenced by the tribe sound.
same

i appreciate what they do and their role in the grand scheme of things, and i don't think the music is bad by any means, but i have no attachment to it at all
:wtf:

where am I

NIGGARDS ARE SHITTING ON A TRIBE CALLED QUEST NOW?!? ARE WE THAT HURTING FOR CONVERSATION TOPICS, BRUHS??!

what's next, DJ Kool Herc shoulda been deported?!?! ! :nut:

if you guys did not know: "Opinions are like voices, we all have a different kind", the slogan of :phila: is a line from Q-Tip. 'Steve Biko'. Midnight Marauders. 1994. Timeless hip hop music.

motherfuckers got hip hop Alzheimer's now? that's the hot shit in the streets, eh? cool. :sherlock:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Versive

Post by Versive »

Mindbender out here balls deep in the Interstellar book shelf, incapable of perceiving time as a forward directed arrow, looking at shit like that which once happened is still happening, will always be happening, with absolutely no concept of decay

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Bruce Jenner over here.

Hey, evolve away; let the world be your moist pod of discovery. But let's not start rewriting history because Rap Theologians like to prognosticate randomly on message boards. Thun's original remarks have been, in my opinion, grossly manipulated for the benefit of a few who seemingly want to pretend that ATCQ is/was not a formative group and/or force in Rap (which is on its face an absurd proposition).

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

And, yes, I am enraged and overflowing with memories.

:jaz:

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

First three tribe albums are classics. Fuck the revisionist history or people who are too young to have these albums seated into their brains. And I guess it's me against the world with phife. His verses are simple, fun to rap along with, memorable. He wasn't trying to craft perfection. I think his verses hold up just fine. If we want to go back to the golden era and overthink things we'll find plenty of classic songs that can be seen as simple, basic. Fuck that noise.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

^dude, the beats were wack & phife needed more multis
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

Philaflava wrote: that's why I miss Malik B on The Roots albums.
Ditto!
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Philaflava wrote:
Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:
step one wrote:If you didn't notice Phife wasn't actually that great back in the day there's a good chance you'll feel the same way about Young Thug or whoever in 15 years from now.
I've always noticed phife wasn't good, basically everyone did. It's that now he not only sounds untalented, but also insanely dated.
Phife was fun and served his purpose on those Tribe albums. Sometime its nice to mix it up, that's why I miss Malik B on The Roots albums. I mean, if we're all throwing this out there, Q-Tip wasn't exactly an amazing lyricist. His voice + charisma + wordplay was enjoyable. To me, the first 3 ATCQ albums are classics, no doubt about it.
Q-Tip's verse on Ill Vibes (feat. Busta Rhymes) always gives me shivers

Phife was indeed fun. His verse on Butter was pretty tight. Similarly, with Buggin Out. Of course there's Check The Rhyme which is a certified classic. There is too much haterade being drunk in this thread.
Last edited by ChaMerZ on Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Julius Seizure wrote:First three tribe albums are classics. Fuck the revisionist history or people who are too young to have these albums seated into their brains. And I guess it's me against the world with phife. His verses are simple, fun to rap along with, memorable. He wasn't trying to craft perfection. I think his verses hold up just fine. If we want to go back to the golden era and overthink things we'll find plenty of classic songs that can be seen as simple, basic. Fuck that noise.
:arrow:
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

if there's any 90s album that has been hyped up to stratosperic heights, it has to be liquid swords. It is unlistenable if you are sober. the production is too out there. GZA's voice also irks me (his clever wordplay notwithstanding). I tried very hard to like the album but I just cannot stand it. After 36 chambers, Cuban Linx leads the pack in terms of quality, Tical comes second & finally we have Ironman. The rest are coasters.

mud

Post by mud »

ChaMerZ wrote:if there's any 90s album that has been hyped up to stratosperic heights, it has to be liquid swords. It is unlistenable if you are sober. the production is too out there. GZA's voice also irks me (his clever wordplay notwithstanding). I tried very hard to like the album but I just cannot stand it. After 36 chambers, Cuban Linx leads the pack in terms of quality, Tical comes second & finally we have Ironman. The rest are coasters.
ChaMerZ wrote:
I used to be a huge Ghostface (& Wu-Tang) fan, but I haven't listened to any of their music in years. It all sounds different. A lot of it even sounds dated now (IMHO).

I have been spoiled by all the synthesizer beats & drug-addled raps that have been energetically pushed into my ear since 2011 (a la ASAP Mob, Danny Brown, OFWKGTA).[/
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

I dunno man. Liquid Swords is to me pretty much the perfect rap album.