"Low End Theory & Midnight Marauders are whatever" - Thun

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Versive

Re: "Low End Theory & Midnight Marauders are whatever" - Thu

Post by Versive »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:
Versive wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote: even tyler's worst beats have more musical merit to them than 4th chamber, which only sounds good when you are tripping on acid.
No. Actually, 4th Chamber is the best beat of all time. The immediate response you got to the above quote in particular supports that claim. As does fact.
Post/avatar combo
I mean, yes, granted my avatar is a picture of someone who may or may not be Shawn Wigs donning a Wu-styled bondage mask, which may or may not have been created by Shawn Wigs, and offering a plastic swarm of Killa Bee toys which definitely were created or are at least sold exclusively by Shawn Wigs.

But I don't think my claim is that crazy. Definitely no crazier than what Thun said that started this whole thread.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Echo Leader wrote:Allow me to clarify (as though it'll make any difference): it's one thing to actively create of new words/portmanteaus/whatever in order to add to the palette you use to color in the plot of science fiction novel, and another to write using shitty grammar that necessitates "grammar policing." What are these egregious liberties you refer to?

It's also ridiculous to compare Gibson to Orwell. Apples and oranges.
both my wording and thinking were fuzzy & i was conflating the two. my mistake. but you proved the point i was trying to make anyway. i doubt gibson would care either way if the 'proper' word was gibsonian or gibsonesque seeing as how he was and very much still is word inventor extraodinaire.

i was not comparing eric blair to gibson you idiot. eric blair hated purple prose with a passion. he would have hated reading any of gibson's early works.

also, no such thing as 'shitty' grammar. Grammar is what people collectively decide it to be, anything that deviates from that gets lambasted, hence 'shitty' when it really is just different.

plus this conversation is done as it doesn't seem like you are interested in having an intelligent discussion. you are just nit picking and being unnecessarily antagonistic.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:Jesus christ reading ChaMerz posts are like hearing someone scratch their nails on a chalkboard
^^ this fucking guy ...

:copy:

get the fuck out of this thread. nobody cares about you & posting here will not help your posting career or prevent you from that banhammer that is going to be slammed on your ass
Let Jaz Down wrote:The one thing that can unite :phila: luminaries who genuinely loathe each other is Canadian newjacks with terrible opinionz4u about rap music.
:ohcanada:

#ALLDAY
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

ChaMerZ wrote:
:ohcanada:

#ALLDAY
:cheers: :lock:
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

ChaMerZ wrote: i was not comparing eric blair to gibson you idiot. eric blair hated purple prose with a passion. he would have hated reading any of gibson's early works.

also, no such thing as 'shitty' grammar. Grammar is what people collectively decide it to be, anything that deviates from that gets lambasted, hence 'shitty' when it really is just different.

plus this conversation is done as it doesn't seem like you are interested in having an intelligent discussion. you are just nit picking and being unnecessarily antagonistic.
[/quote]

:rofl: Chill out dude. I'm not the one actively calling for your crucifixion itt; don't get so butthurt. I apologize for accusing you of being a non-native English-speaking individual.

First, I misinterpreted what you were saying about Gibson, missing the part where you said he were a huge fan; my b. I more or less latched on to the "worst offender in recent memory" part. I'll take a mulligan on that one, plz.

Orwell is just not a good example because a.) he didn't write or have any perspective on science fiction, a genre that I see as necessitating that greater detail/made-up microsoft/righteous dub bullshit, and b.) he wrote that "purple prose" comment, like, 3 years before he died and with one major novel left to write. He was also talking about his own earlier works. That shit applies to almost everything he wrote pre-Animal Farm; read Coming Up for Air (if you haven't already) and you will see.

I disagree with your views on grammar. But that's ok.

You may see it as nit-picking. I see it as reflecting on your flawed and incomplete arguments. M2C.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Echo Leader wrote:I disagree with your views on grammar.
YOU OBVIOUSLY LACK GZA'S LYRICISM!

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

OMG.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Echo Leader wrote: Orwell is just not a good example because a.) he didn't write or have any perspective on science fiction, a genre that I see as necessitating that greater detail/made-up microsoft/righteous dub bullshit, and b.) he wrote that "purple prose" comment, like, 3 years before he died and with one major novel left to write. He was also talking about his own earlier works. That shit applies to almost everything he wrote pre-Animal Farm; read Coming Up for Air (if you haven't already) and you will see.

I disagree with your views on grammar. But that's ok.

You may see it as nit-picking. I see it as reflecting on your flawed and incomplete arguments. M2C.
Fair enough. But when I think about authors who were harping on about that sort of thing constantly blair is the first one that comes to mind. Asimov would have perhaps been a fitting example since Gibson is a sci-fi author but Asimov kind of sold out a little bit with some of his books. Plus, as far as I can tell, he never went on a public tirade about 'bad' writing. That's what I liked about blair. He was str8 up and was throwing darts at errbody.

& that righteous dub shit from neuromancer all the way to mona lisa overdrive is literally what made the entire sprawl trilogy interesting. a spaceship called marcus garvey & filled with rastas!? what!!?

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

1984 is sci fi imo

animal farm was just whatever
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Thun wrote:There's no compelling reason to prefer the second or third albums when you lay them down side by side and just listen.
Strongly disagree. PITPR had a more diverse sound, as Q-Tip was just dipping into obscure samples with wild abandon. On Low End Theory he reined in his extravagant tendencies a little bit. I seem to recall that they actually brought in a cello player for buggin out (??). Midnight Marauders leaned towards a more radio-friendly sound (Award Tour).

Since we are back on the topic ... who was the weak link in ATCQ? Phife? Ali?

What did Ali actually do again?

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

ngl untill this thread I thought Chamerz was the other Chaz dude who writes for the village voice, or one of them regional ones that use the same format idk. anyways saddingly I now realise this original contents not being published in respectable news outlets.

First Beard

Post by First Beard »

I cant even tell the troll posts from the serious ones in threads like this.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Larry2times wrote:ngl untill this thread I thought Chamerz was the other Chaz dude who writes for the village voice, or one of them regional ones that use the same format idk.
:naswtf:

vs.

Last edited by Jayou Ayen on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Photo of Mario didn't show, so here:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

isn't that Funkdoctor Bomb Bay?

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Can this PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be an emoticon?

Before dude became Canada's number one Grime expert/dj, did he have a brief career as a PUA forum moderator?

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Philaflava wrote:isn't that Funk Docta Bombay?
Yeah.
ChaMerZ wrote:Well, I'm a huge proponent of hipster rap, but I happen to be black. Where does that place me?
I don't know, probably somewhere between:

and

Or maybe closer to:

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

:lol: :lol:

god damn that is really not far off that skinny dude w fedora and massive belt okcupid "no fat chicks" meme

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

lolwhat?

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Let Jaz Down wrote::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Can this PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be an emoticon?

Before dude became Canada's number one Grime expert/dj, did he have a brief career as a PUA forum moderator?
POTW :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :rofl: :hooray:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

SYMantics International.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

I've got some dumb Ed Hardy jeans actually
Dumb Ed Hardy belts actually
Dumb Ed Hardy shades actually
My bedroom's like an Ed Hardy factory
Some dumb Ed Hardy creps
Walking with a dumb Ed Hardy what?
I've got so much Ed Hardy clothes I could open my own Ed Hardy shop

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

i actually think liquid swords is overrated as well....dont get me wrong GREAT album....but i think its nuts to put it ahead of cuban linx or ironman as it seems the majority does...the first half of it is all world but it falls off after that....my biggest criticism of it...especially compared to cuban and ironman is that it lacks soul....the beats are noisy piercing high pitched at times versus buttery and soulful...i also think the 4th chamber beat is no better than the 5th best on the record

and just because you all care so much i also think peoples is clearly tribes best....youthful expression >

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

clark bent wrote:i actually think liquid swords is overrated as well....dont get me wrong GREAT album....but i think its nuts to put it ahead of cuban linx or ironman as it seems the majority does...the first half of it is all world but it falls off after that....my biggest criticism of it...especially compared to cuban and ironman is that it lacks soul....the beats are noisy piercing high pitched at times versus buttery and soulful...i also think the 4th chamber beat is no better than the 5th best on the record

and just because you all care so much i also think peoples is clearly tribes best....youthful expression >
:cheers:

mud

Post by mud »

clark bent wrote:...the first half of it is all world but it falls off after that....

1 Liquid Swords
2 Duel of the Iron Mic
3 Living In the World
4 Gold
5 Cold World
6 Labels

VS

7 4th Chamber
8 Shadowboxin'
9 Killah Hills 10304
10 Investigative Reports
11 Swordsman
12 I Gotcha Back
13 Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth

Gold and Cold World are probably the two "weakest" tracks.

The 2nd half is better if anything.

4th Chamber and Killah Hills are the two best tracks on the LP.

Album is 5/5 all day everyday.
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

1 Liquid Swords
2 Duel of the Iron Mic
3 Living In the World
5 Cold World

i agree on gold....one of the worst tracks...but the above four tracks i will put up with the very best wu songs of all time....all of them are light years better than anything else on the album

i gotcha back and bible i dont even consider part of the album...bible wasnt even on the cassette i think it was a cd bonus track and is so out of place....and i gotcha back was on the fresh soundtrack which seemingly came out two years before liquid swords...both these tracks on an island arent terrible songs (i gotcha back is especially good) but they effect the feel of the album in a negative way....killa hills swordsman and investigative reports are just ok

as good as the album is and i feel like i am hating on it which i def dont mean to do but you can make an argument for it having been an ep and stopping at shawdowboxin...either way on no planet is the second half better...that said i dont have a problem with someone calling it a 5/5.....but at best id have it at the very bottom of those albums and personally its a 4/5 to me....the songs that are good are impeccably so...but its floor is also lower than most classics imo

mud

Post by mud »

clark bent wrote:killa hills swordsman and investigative reports are just ok
GZA's best solo track ever imo.

The other two I can maybe see where you're coming from.

Good to see you talking rap music agaijn, it's always entertaining.
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

clark bent wrote:1 Liquid Swords
2 Duel of the Iron Mic
3 Living In the World
5 Cold World

i agree on gold....one of the worst tracks...but the above four tracks i will put up with the very best wu songs of all time....all of them are light years better than anything else on the album

i gotcha back and bible i dont even consider part of the album...bible wasnt even on the cassette i think it was a cd bonus track and is so out of place....and i gotcha back was on the fresh soundtrack which seemingly came out two years before liquid swords...both these tracks on an island arent terrible songs (i gotcha back is especially good) but they effect the feel of the album in a negative way....killa hills swordsman and investigative reports are just ok

as good as the album is and i feel like i am hating on it which i def dont mean to do but you can make an argument for it having been an ep and stopping at shawdowboxin...either way on no planet is the second half better...that said i dont have a problem with someone calling it a 5/5.....but at best id have it at the very bottom of those albums and personally its a 4/5 to me....the songs that are good are impeccably so...but its floor is also lower than most classics imo
I disagree with you on Investigative Reports but I am more or less with you w.r.t everything else.

After listening to I Gotcha Back, listening to BIBLE is sort of jarring. BIBLE is definitely the most out of place song in the LP. Not to say that it is whack, it just doesn't feel like it belongs.