What Music Did You Make Today?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Ned Ryerson
Location: with my helmet on you can't tell me i'm not in space.

Re: What Music Did You Make Today?

Post by Ned Ryerson »

Jesse-velazquez wrote: https://soundcloud.com/bodega-soundz/bodega-soundz-so-in-love-akai-mpc

Got my MPC FINALLY!!!. I re-did this beat, since the original was off counts. Enjoy, comments or suggestions are welcomed, they can give me more ideas. I'm a boom-gap dude, but I wanna be as versatile as possible. Just crawling before I walk. Peace!
:cheers: welcome to the sound lab. what model MPC you pick up? this the first beat on it? some of the chops are pretty cool but they're little frantic. maybe try letting them breathe a little? is the panning on the drums on purpose? the kick that almost sounds like a snare is only on the right side from what i can hear and it's disorienting. not sure if that was on purpose or not, but it might actually work if the panning was a lot more sporadic

Jesse-velazquez

Post by Jesse-velazquez »

I got the MPC Studio. The drums came out that way by mistake.. Thanks for your input man. One of the things I've been trying to work on is panning out certain instruments.

Ned Ryerson

Post by Ned Ryerson »

yeah i wasn't sure but that makes sense. not sure what your setup is like but it's probably harder to hear without decent headphones or monitors. was using the speakers on the tv i use as a computer monitor for a while and some of the shit i did like that is crazy off. bass sounds like it's made for the hearing impaired

Jesse-velazquez

LOL. that was intentional. I layered an 808 kick and also filtered the sample. I wanted it be something that would crack a window in someones car. I'm working on a busted surround sound system that I adopted as a stereo. Probably best to work off of some good headphones.

Ned Ryerson

Post by Ned Ryerson »

:lol: i meant some of the stuff i made with using the tv speakers. my bad, should have made that more clear

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

this shit is very smooth... dope
this one is better than the previous one you posted... im not a fan of chops that sound like chops (if that make sense), but thats just a personal style preference... keep doing you... a few technical tips that i think can improve things:

a few of your chops you hear a "click" when the sample is triggered or when it cuts off... thats due to the sample not being cut at a zero point... there should be a feature in the MPC to restrict edits to zero points... it could be called zero points or something like "cut at transients"... sorry, gonna have to research that on your own, I havent touched an MPC in 10 years

drums - could use a little eq, compression, and reverb to get them to gel together a little better... the key word is A LITTLE... especially with the verb... just a small amount of a small room reverb will help a ton... its the type of thing you wont notice while listening, but the second you take the verb off you notice it big time

re panning - kudos on experimenting.. a good rule to practice (but really fuck rules) is to keep sounds with hard attacks or lots of low end closer to dead center... ie: kicks, hard snares, basslines

with all that said... this is leagues ahead of any of my first beats... so props for that
Ned Ryerson wrote:
damn man, i definitely couldn't pull that off. my workflow is pretty terrible. it took me weeks to respond to this... 61 is dope. from the snippet, sounds like something off the Armand Hammer LP. look forward to hearing whatever these turn into :cheers:
im going to tell you right now that you can pull it off... i didnt think i was going to be able to pull it off either... its just a matter of discipline (if you have the time obviously). you wont like every beat you make (i certainly dont) but it can be done. and my workflow is pretty damn shitty as well but has been improving because of #beataday .. the real pain in the ass is the videos. I definitely spend more time stressing over getting the 15 second videos done than the beats

thanks re beat 61... i love that one too... and love Armand Hammer as well.. so even better

:cheers:
----

i took about a week or so off from #beataday due to a close friend passing recently... but im back at it (going to take a few days off for the holidays)

here is todays:

and a few more i havent posted here:

Jesse-velazquez

this one is better than the previous one you posted... im not a fan of chops that sound like chops (if that make sense), but thats just a personal style preference... keep doing you... a few technical tips that i think can improve things:

a few of your chops you hear a "click" when the sample is triggered or when it cuts off... thats due to the sample not being cut at a zero point... there should be a feature in the MPC to restrict edits to zero points... it could be called zero points or something like "cut at transients"... sorry, gonna have to research that on your own, I havent touched an MPC in 10 years

drums - could use a little eq, compression, and reverb to get them to gel together a little better... the key word is A LITTLE... especially with the verb... just a small amount of a small room reverb will help a ton... its the type of thing you wont notice while listening, but the second you take the verb off you notice it big time

re panning - kudos on experimenting.. a good rule to practice (but really fuck rules) is to keep sounds with hard attacks or lots of low end closer to dead center... ie: kicks, hard snares, basslines

with all that said... this is leagues ahead of any of my first beats... so props for that
Really appreciate your input. Thanks btw. One of the major issues I had was trying figure out how to make the drums sound good.
So leaving me with the information will help definitely help me out. I started 2 months ago, but have picked up a lot of tips from here, and other places luckily.

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

Cryp - can you walk me through your instagram process? =D (i.e. apps or whatever u do). I want to blatantly jack your steelo. V dope beats btw!

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

siLLy KiD wrote:Cryp - can you walk me through your instagram process? =D (i.e. apps or whatever u do). I want to blatantly jack your steelo. V dope beats btw!
:cheers: thanks bro

im all for blatant jacks.. so go for it dude... share the stuff here too

as far as the instagram process

-make beat
-put beat in itunes
-i have itunes match so it sends the beat automatically to icloud
-dowload beat from icloud to iphone
-shoot video on iphone 6+ (sometimes i just have random footage that i already shot on my phone that i piece together for the beat)... and other times i take videos from movies/tv shows etc... i use a screen capture app on my mac called ishowu for that... if i use that then i transfer the vid to the phone via dropbox
-edit video in iMovie app adding the beat (keeping it all at 15 seconds)
-add titles/effects with various apps... the app i use most for this is Gravie... pretty amazing what it can do for an iphone app... i also use GameUrVideo.. there are a couple other apps i use but those are the ones i use the majority of the time
-upload to instagram

its kind of a pain in the ass to edit video on the phone... but after doing it for 2 months im pretty good at it... i still think it would be easier to get precise edits on the computer... but i just didnt want to have to deal with moving files/videos back and forth from the phone to computer and back

the video side of things is definitely the pain in the ass part... and definitely takes me longer to do the videos than the beats... and explains why a lot of my videos are on some lazy "point the camera at something for 15 seconds add a title and call it a day"...

and on that note... missed a lot of days the past couple weeks... holiday shit... family shit... funeral shit... trying to finish these last 24 without interruption... home stretch

todays:

and my xmas day track:

Jesse-velazquez

https://soundcloud.com/bodega-soundz/trap-marie

I started this a a joke, but I thought it came out pretty good. Found an old country record and decided to butcher (not chop) the samples.

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Jesse-velazquez wrote: https://soundcloud.com/bodega-soundz/trap-marie

I started this a a joke, but I thought it came out pretty good. Found an old country record and decided to butcher (not chop) the samples.
this shit is dope... definitely the best thing you have posted

Jesse-velazquez

Cryptic One wrote:

Thanks man. I got to admit. I never used a beat machine till recently. So there is a lot of learning to do. I'm learning as I go.

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Jesse-velazquez wrote:
Cryptic One wrote:

Thanks man. I got to admit. I never used a beat machine till recently. So there is a lot of learning to do. I'm learning as I go.

you never stop learning in this shit. ive been making beats for a few decades (man that makes me feel old)... and im still learning daily

last 2 days:

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

^that 77 beat is dope.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jesse-velazquez

Cryptic One wrote:
Jesse-velazquez wrote:
Cryptic One wrote:

you never stop learning in this shit. ive been making beats for a few decades (man that makes me feel old)... and im still learning daily

last 2 days:

True indeed. btw. Beat 78 is tight. nice drums.

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Jesse-velazquez wrote:
True indeed. btw. Beat 78 is tight. nice drums.
the dead poet wrote:^that 77 beat is dope.

:cheers: yall

next batch from the last few days:

this one was the day after i went to see Zoso (Led Zeppelin cover band) so I only used Led Zep samples

Jesse-velazquez

Jesse-velazquez

Jesse-velazquez

W. Dupree

Post by W. Dupree »

Here's a few new tracks I threw up the other day, more to come. I just want to hear some critiquing upon it. Tell me how yal feel about this material

https://soundcloud.com/wheyesnot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jesse-velazquez

Here is a twist to a nice Rock classic.

https://soundcloud.com/bodega-soundz/keep-hanging

Question. Everyone has their way of making beats, for those sample based folks. How you work? work off of your samples? Or off your drums first? Just curious as to whats easier.

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

^for the most part i chop and pitch out my sample first then start coming up with a basic sequence then will add some dummy drums (kick/snare basic pattern) then work from there.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Jesse-velazquez wrote:
Question. Everyone has their way of making beats, for those sample based folks. How you work? work off of your samples? Or off your drums first? Just curious as to whats easier.

hard to answer really... i dont have a set way but generally my process goes something like this

dig for samples and dump them into logic
create a temporary drum track strictly for timing purposes (i prefer playing samples with drums instead of a metronome)
chop samples, record sequences
replace drums

sometimes the temporary drums wind up becoming the final drums... sometimes i just keep the pattern and change the sounds... sometimes i keep the sounds and change the patterns.. sometimes after i replace the drums i wind up tweaking the sample chops/melodies to fit the new drums better... its an almost endless process back and forth with tweaking til im happy with it

Jesse-velazquez

Pretty interesting guys. Thanks. I've been working with samples first. I find myself doing the drums after.

Jesse-velazquez

https://soundcloud.com/bodega-soundz/special-treatment/

Heres the most recent. Had no clue in what direction to go in at first, since I started with the vocals. Its always amazing when it comes together.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

bad snare drum

:owens:

Jesse-velazquez

AWAE wrote:bad snare drum

:owens:
Thanks brother. In the words of Run - DMC
Not bad meaning bad/but bad meaning good,

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

lol actually meant bad meaning bad

like ketchup on icecream

sorry

Jesse-velazquez

AWAE wrote:lol actually meant bad meaning bad

like ketchup on icecream

sorry
Its all good. everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Jesse-velazquez wrote: https://soundcloud.com/bodega-soundz/special-treatment/

Heres the most recent. Had no clue in what direction to go in at first, since I started with the vocals. Its always amazing when it comes together.

i dont mind the snare... but it could use some help to sit in the mix better... also the tail end of the kick sample needs to be trimmed, there is a lot of audible "air" at the end of it... the hats could use some eq help as well..

havent been consistent the past few weeks with my beataday... just havent been able to get back in a groove after the holidays...

todays:

last few: