Mac Miller Thread (Come One Come All)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

The Ivy League Nigga

Re: Mac Miller Thread (Come One Come All)

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

ackbar wrote:
The Ivy League Nigga wrote:I'm not a fan of either, but it strikes me as odd that people take so much umbrage at the mere mention of Mac Miller, when there's an 8 page Drake thread on M2C's front page right now.
it's 2013 bro.. get with the program
critics & the message board elite start off at distain & uncomfortability when they see someone who looks sort of like them rapping. and makes sure to slip in comments like "i like plenty of white rappers. run the jewelz is one of my favorite releases of 2013."
:lol:

That has to be it. Admittedly, Mac Miller does kinda look and talk like the inbred midwestern trailer-trash that makes any adult male, white or otherwise, feel a little self-conscious about being a rap fan. I can sort of understand why that may put additional pressure on white fans who fear they're perceived the same way.

But in terms of rapping, he's not really the worst offender, right? I couldn't name a song outside of guest spots and what's been posted in this thread, but he's not an embarrassment. His raps are passable. If that SDS song is any indication, he has a good ear for beats. He's certainly not MGK or Macklemore. In the end, I would think it's just as embarrassing to be a Drake fan as it is to be a Mac Miller fan.

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

ackbar wrote:
The Ivy League Nigga wrote:I'm not a fan of either, but it strikes me as odd that people take so much umbrage at the mere mention of Mac Miller, when there's an 8 page Drake thread on M2C's front page right now.
critics & the message board elite start off at distain & uncomfortability when they see someone who looks sort of like them rapping[/i]
this is true but it's LITERALLY true for you/mac miller

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Dids wrote:HE doesn't strike me as bad (Guild is loathsome, but not really because of the rapping, just the concept of the song is tragic and the execution is well, I guess perfect if you wanted to make a stupid, embarrassing song that nobody over 14 should tolerate), just incredibly bland. Is Mac Miller doing anything I can't hear 20 other rappers do better?
I don't know what you're on about bruh, Guild knocks. It's one of Doris' high points.
The Ivy League Nigga wrote:
ackbar wrote:
critics & the message board elite start off at distain & uncomfortability when they see someone who looks sort of like them rapping. and makes sure to slip in comments like "i like plenty of white rappers. run the jewelz is one of my favorite releases of 2013."
:lol:

That has to be it. Admittedly, Mac Miller does kinda look and talk like the inbred midwestern trailer-trash that makes any adult male, white or otherwise, feel a little self-conscious about being a rap fan. I can sort of understand why that may put additional pressure on white fans who fear they're perceived the same way.

But in terms of rapping, he's not really the worst offender, right? I couldn't name a song outside of guest spots and what's been posted in this thread, but he's not an embarrassment. His raps are passable. If that SDS song is any indication, he has a good ear for beats. He's certainly not MGK or Macklemore. In the end, I would think it's just as embarrassing to be a Drake fan as it is to be a Mac Miller fan.
Not sure what to add to this. I'm not white but Mac Miller's one of the few white rappers that I can actually stand.

This whole white people eschewing their own phenomenon is one that's new to me though. i don't know if there's any merit to what you're saying. i know loads of white, message board 'elites' who can't get enough of him - in fact i was put on to Mac Miller by one ( well it was more like coerced at gunpoint)
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

This board has a collective hang up about race. It's just something in the culture here. Any White figure in hip hop will eventually get called out as a wigger. Any Black person who has a vocabulary better than Waka Flocka's will eventually get called out for being whitewashed.

I can't really speak for the way other message board's feel abut race.

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

most of these white rappers make terrible music and/or are guilty of appropriation. You're also conflating multi/lyrical-miracle dismissal with anti-intellectualism . That's absurd. There are way more posters on this board who have a 70s prog rock view of rap music...that technical proficiency= good music.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

The Rapping Coffin wrote:most of these white rappers make terrible music and/or are guilty of appropriation. You're also conflating multi/lyrical-miracle dismissal with anti-intellectualism . That's absurd. There are way more posters on this board who have a 70s prog rock view of rap music...that technical proficiency= good music.
i get what you're saying but i don't think that mac miller's anything like the 'typical' white rapper. it's just odd to me that his album pretty much went under the radar around these parts. obviously there's some kind of strong bias against rappers of his ilk in M2C
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MC Homeless

Post by MC Homeless »

I would feel weird being a grown man listening to Mac Miler.
"You gonna let a cheeseburger do that?" Yeah, I like to instigate

Dids

Post by Dids »

ChaMerZ wrote:
The Rapping Coffin wrote:most of these white rappers make terrible music and/or are guilty of appropriation. You're also conflating multi/lyrical-miracle dismissal with anti-intellectualism . That's absurd. There are way more posters on this board who have a 70s prog rock view of rap music...that technical proficiency= good music.
i get what you're saying but i don't think that mac miller's anything like the 'typical' white rapper. it's just odd to me that his album pretty much went under the radar around these parts. obviously there's some kind of strong bias against rappers of his ilk in M2C
Look at how most of the board views Guild relative to you. The trend here is just that most of the posters tastes don't bend in that direction. In part because if I had to guess, you're well below average age wise. (which to me comes specifically into play with MCs who while competent are bringing nothing new to the table, a song I've heard a version of 200 times before is going to hit me different than it does for somebody who will completely reasonably find it more novel)

Yeah- people say some dumb shit about white rappers, but it's not a majority and it's usually about god awful MCs. Nobody meaningfully references El-P or Aesop Rock's race like ever. If you're good, you'll get respected.

MC Homeless

Post by MC Homeless »

sean wrote:spoiler alert: name dropping.

i had the opportunity to meet this dude at a festival a few months ago.
he was hanging out with sean price and schoolboy q. and he was really cool and down to earth.
then i peeped his last record. and it was good. good beats. good raps.
i preferred it to a few of the records that get handjobs around these parts.

i watch the other dinosaurs hate on him. but i can't.
he passed both my tests. music and personality.

judge me.
hellbound.
He's a nice Jewish boy from Pittsburgh.
"You gonna let a cheeseburger do that?" Yeah, I like to instigate

hellriser

Mac Miller (AKA Delusional Thomas) – Delusional Thomas

Post by hellriser »

i dont even like mac miller but this project is really good.... odd future influence all over the place

http://8b18fcd8636c9ffc8d4f-b7fe468edea ... Thomas.zip

http://hypetrak.com/2013/11/mac-miller- ... s-mixtape/ - stream is here too

sleazy_j

Re: Mac Miller (AKA Delusional Thomas) – Delusional Thomas

Post by sleazy_j »

the beats are good from what i heard last night. i listened through to the earl track.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

eh not bad at all.
i fuck with it.

( i hate(d) mac miller as well)

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Mac is smart. Able to roll with a indie that allowed him to do music under another moniker.
Taking a page out of the whole Quasimoto (Madlib) approach to doing shit.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

it was only two weeks ago when there was a deluge of mac miller hate and i was the only one brave enough to face it.

so it's official? does :phila: fuck with cheesy mac with the cheesy raps for real now?

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

the odd future connection caused a change in his music imo

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Was it really necessary to bump this after that one kid started another Mac Miller thread?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

nah he's still a fag and you're still a fag for liking him

feel better? it's reassuring isn't it
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Combo7 wrote:Was it really necessary to bump this after that one kid started another Mac Miller thread?
no it wasn't. but i felt that that one project didn't warrant a separate thread so i bumped this one suspecting that a mod would merge the two.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

ChaMerZ wrote:it was only two weeks ago when there was a deluge of mac miller hate and i was the only one brave enough to face it.

so it's official? does :phila: fuck with cheesy mac with the cheesy raps for real now?
If its not Roc, Action, Riff, The Roots, and etc., these muthafuckas won't like it.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

Captain murphy was semi-biting madlib and the beats barely saved it. This is totally biting madlib and the beats don't save it, imo.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

mac miller - faces

a bit too long, but worth checking out.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

not gonna listen to any track until he releases the full project. now i just have to figure out when that will be.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »