3%
Hard To Earn
1%

Total votes: 134

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

The Perfect Album Poll

Post by Philaflava »

You can vote up to 4 times in this thread. Vote on those you feel are truly the perfect album. Not classic, they're all pretty much classic, but in your eyes which 3 do you view as perfection front to back.

step one

Re: The Perfect Album Poll

Post by step one »

Voted Doggystyle, Cuban Links, 36 Chambers & Illmatic
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Low End Theory
Death Certificate
Reasonable Doubt
Only Built For Cuban Linx...

those albums altered my existence beyond description

almost voted Buhloone Mind State, but I can't pretend like I actually listen to that Japanese rap song at the end of it all the time. I appreciate it but still... that album is a 9.5 out of 10 for me. De La Soul is Dead tho? PERFECT ALBUM.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Illmatic
The Infamous
Reasonable Doubt
OB4CL

Obviously several others in there I'd consider classics (10/10), but those are all in my top 5.

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

Outta these, only Illmatic for me. Maybe LET, OB4CL, 36 Chambers and The Infamous minus a few tracks, but that doesn't mean perfection.

I'd rather think of Step In The Arena, Mecca & The Soul Brother, Organized's debut and Stress: TEA, Funky Technician, Breakin' Atoms, Word...Life, Redman's 2nd and 3rd album, maybe first Goodie Mob, when we're talking about a perfect hip hop album. Plus some 80s stuff like Critical Beatdown, first BDK, The Great Adventures of Slick Rick or Criminal Minded.

step one

Post by step one »

I know that due to the age of older rap fans that post online the 80s dont usually get much of a look in in these conversations but this still shits on everything

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

This was a tough one. Basically have to just think about the albums that I don't visit for just one song when I'm in the mood.

Like out of nowhere I may say I want to listen to Bird In The Hand, or I Am I Be, or The Planet, etc but I probably won't sit through and listen to the entire album every time. For me, I think when it comes to Illmatic, Midnight Marauders, The Infamous, and Cuban Linx I almost always do so with the intention of listening to the whole album right then and there. That's my only justification for how I voted. I could listen to any of these albums front to back 2 times in a row with no problem.

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

Only Illmatic for me. If not for the chorus on "respect", the skits, and the popularity of "big poppa", ready to die would also get a vote

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

pradadon wrote:This was a tough one. Basically have to just think about the albums that I don't visit for just one song when I'm in the mood.

Like out of nowhere I may say I want to listen to Bird In The Hand, or I Am I Be, or The Planet, etc but I probably won't sit through and listen to the entire album every time. For me, I think when it comes to Illmatic, Midnight Marauders, The Infamous, and Cuban Linx I almost always do so with the intention of listening to the whole album right then and there. That's my only justification for how I voted. I could listen to any of these albums front to back 2 times in a row with no problem.
this makes sense. kinda penalizes versatile songs that work outside the context of the album though. i'll put on NY state of mind without listening to the whole joint too.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

I think De La Soul's Stakes is High is the greatest hip hop album ever made.
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

step one

Post by step one »

gusty wingers wrote:I think De La Soul's Stakes is High is the greatest hip hop album ever made.
its not even in the top 3 De La Soul albums ever made

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

I know I know. Prince Paul hates me but there is something special about that album.

Post by 907 »

gusty wingers wrote:I think De La Soul's Stakes is High is the greatest hip hop album ever made.

Better erase that sig, homie.

You're not the cooler anyone.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

step one

Post by step one »

As much as I like Reasonable Doubt, its not perfect because Ain't No Nigga stands out like a sore thumb. I know it was his breakout single etc but take it off and the album flows perfectly imo.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Reasonable Doubt is so underrated in these types of polls. It might be the most well rapped album of all time and never ages. Lot of albums on here that are perfect in a time capsule, but can't hold up in a vacuum that accounts for everything released since.

Illmatic, The Infamous, and Reasonable Doubt are the shit. If pressed I'd put Ready To Die 4th, but it's a step below IMO.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Reasonable Doubt is an amazing album, without a doubt. It probably is underrated, but the thing about it that irks me for some reason is that Jay is full of shit and overly cocky for a debut album. I guess it's the fact that he made the album when he was 26 as opposed to many other debuts that are created when artists like 18,19, 20 years old. But it's a great, classic album that should get the good 20 year treatment later this year.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

lol @ "well rapped"

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

If we take "perfect"to be literal, none of these albums are perfect. Classics, yes. But they all have one or two (some have 4 or 5) low lights. Just saying. Nobodies perfect, guys.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Blockhead wrote:If we take "perfect"to be literal, none of these albums are perfect. Classics, yes. But they all have one or two (some have 4 or 5) low lights. Just saying. Nobodies perfect, guys.
In hip-hop, it's hard to find an album more perfect than Illmatic. One Time 4 Your Mind might be the weak link but it's still better than 99% of the shit that we've heard in the past decade.

I know you aren't the biggest MM fan, but that was perfect to me too, but debatable. Illmatic, I don't think it is.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

No 2pac album on this list proves once and for all that Gloss hates homo thugs

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Nothing definitive. But "Me Against The World" is a personal favorite. His best album IMO.