New A Tribe Called Quest Album

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

WiCkEd22

Re: New A Tribe Called Quest Album

Post by WiCkEd22 »

fAGriser wrote:
Cyn0zure wrote:lol at saying it doesn't have replay value after one listen...do you fools listen to music or just skim through it?
I listen the album three times in the row , nothing catched my ear.... album is not bad , but i wont listen again....
You're a fuckin MORON, breh. FUCKOUTTAHERE!! smh

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

I just took a nice hour long drive listening to this album from start to finish. I like it for the most part and feel it'll definitely grow on me. Love the few “Tribe” sounding joints that you'd expect, but don't care for some other joints, a few which I'd totally remove from the album. Their not horrible, but their mos definitely not my taste at all. Then there's a few songs that have good beats but maybe the song goes on too long or there's some singing that's kinda ehhh. Like I said, I know this is gonna grow on me but I do like it. It's WAY BETTER then that De La Soul shit show from a few months ago. Oh and Phife sounds great on here! Jarobi is cool on a few joints, but doesn't sound so good on a few others. The Kendrick Lamar joint is cool... he sounds good on it too cuz he's not doin that alien sounding voice. haha And Consequence sounds great on here. Busta's cool too. *shrugs*

Favorite joints...

01 The Space Program
03 Whateva Will Be (ft. Consequence)
16 The Donald (ft. Busta Rhymes)
15 Ego

Songs I dislike and think should be removed...

02 We The People
04 Solid Wall of Sound
08 Enough!!

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

I just worked on MY version of this album where I removed those 3 songs and moved a few others around. Now the album sounds a lot better! haha

And btw, Robbie over at Unkut.com did a pretty good review...

- www.unkut.com/2016/11/a-tribe-called-quest-we-got-it-from-here-thank-you-4-your-service-album-review

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

WiCkEd22 wrote:I just DL'd the official 320 mp3 version and fixed up the properties + tagged everything right...

Consequence is on killing season as well

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

madstadik wrote:Consequence is on killing season as well
Yeah after listening I realized. Thanks.

He's also on Whateva Will Be and Black Spasmodic...

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

Going to be hard to hate on this LP, but I'm confident that these angry dinosaurs will find a way. Don't let me down now!

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Wicked, surprised you listened to this on mp3 tho. Sounds much better on wax bro.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Really enjoying this. Needed this.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Brougham33 wrote:Really enjoying this. Needed this.

Agreed. Mainly because Tribe is my favorite group of all time. But it's a nice departure from the type of Hip Hop that I've personally been into the last couple of years in terms of new releases.

This is an album that you have to live with for a few, though. Of course everyone in entitled to their opinion and initial reaction, but based off the two listens I've given, I can just tell already that I am going to be finding things I like about it down the road that don't necessarily stand out to me after two listens.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

I was totally was expecting not to like it, and the number of tracks threw me off too, but so pleasantly surprised by this. Style is inherently a throwback because of the people rhyming on it, but it's a great balance of not trying too hard to recapture the glory days, but definitely hitting that old groove through various parts of the album. Maybe I won't revisit this years from now, but just hearing Phife rhyme with Tip helped redeem this fucking week.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

i love this shit. the production is genius. the vocal arrangements are classic but the raps are modern. its like an amalgamated version of everything that tribe ever influenced.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

So, serious question:

I know we've had it less than a day, but how do you feel about these first listens vs. your first listens of The Love Movement?
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

WiCkEd22 wrote:
fAGriser wrote:
Cyn0zure wrote:lol at saying it doesn't have replay value after one listen...do you fools listen to music or just skim through it?
I listen the album three times in the row , nothing catched my ear.... album is not bad , but i wont listen again....
You're a fuckin MORON, breh. FUCKOUTTAHERE!! smh

:cheers:

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:So, serious question:

I know we've had it less than a day, but how do you feel about these first listens vs. your first listens of The Love Movement?
Impossible to compare 1998 to 2016 imo.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

pradadon wrote:
battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:So, serious question:

Impossible to compare 1998 to 2016 imo.
Re-read what he asked and try again. Thanks in advance...

Thun

Post by Thun »

Enjoying it. It's all over the place but that works somehow. Phife sounds happy as fuck.

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Digital is only 5.00 on amazon if anyone wants to support. Itunes and google play charging twice that

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

mike eagle wrote:i love this shit. the production is genius. the vocal arrangements are classic but the raps are modern. its like an amalgamated version of everything that tribe ever influenced.
this.

There is no greater blessing than every single MC on this album rhyming in their own voice with their own style, and not trying to represent da real hip hop of the 90's or sound like what's lit in 2016. Just simply fucking be themselves. Which makes this TIMELESS. Q-Tip sounds *perfect*, and really steps up as a leader of the true school, while also stepping back to let others shine just the right amount for this grand finale special occasion. Phife is a DUTTY RANKIN GOD and he's got it from here, thank you for your service. And what a story: the stars FINALLY aligned for Jarobi, on the last album, just in time. He'll be immortalized by his contribution on 'Enough!!' alone. Cons to the Quence does his ATCQ legacy justice. The guests all do pretty good, I enjoyed Talib Kweli's vocal texture on that jam for real. Kendrick was the same as always and Andre 3000 disappointed me the most but kanyeshrug. Busta Rhymes unleashed the Dungeon Dragon everywhere, and weakness a get BLOODCLOT DEAD! Daaamn, homie! Furthermore, The Ummah & Ali Shaheed's beats JUST RESURRECTED NEW YORK CITY HIP HOP MUSIC. This is honestly one of the best East Coast production collections in decades. Not just this decade, but the last 3 decades of NYC boom bap. Every genre hip hop has ever explored finds a moment to shine on this album, and you NEVER know when it's coming. The organic structure of these melodies and backdrops is impeccable and subtle yet unprecedented. The music is an unfuckingbelievable masterpiece.

It cannot be articulated deeply enough, how wonderful of a goodbye album A Tribe Called Quest gave Phife Dawg & hip hop... especially in the curbstomp of a year that 2016 is.

Malik Taylor forever. A Tribe Called Quest just saved hip hop from itself, once again. I love this shit beyond belief.
"Not acknowledging a trend or swept up in a phase" - Phife
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Thun wrote:Enjoying it. It's all over the place but that works somehow. Phife sounds happy as fuck.
Yeah man. He went out like a king. Never sounds anything less than the 5 Foot Assassin. Nothing sounds like cut and paste vocals here. Just that ol' classic Native Tongues hip hop magic. Which makes me more happy than I've been with any other hip hop music in all 2016. This is the definition of a godsent parting gift and it's impossible for anyone to go out on a higher note.

:icedit: they made a sequel to 'Bonita Applebum', and it's arguably better than the original. There is no need to really argue though, because the world is a better place with both songs here.

:bow: 'Enough!!'.
Last edited by Mindbender Futurama on Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Album is pretty incredible to be honest.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Dis Generation is the anthem today. Yesterday it was We The People.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Enjoying it more and more each listen. Dis Generation and Ego are my jams right now.

Large Marvin

Post by Large Marvin »

Thank god for A Tribe called Quest, fuck Donald Trump.

wuk

Post by wuk »

Has any group or artist ever pulled off something like this? Putting out a classic nearly on par with their golden era output 20-25 years later?
ryebread mixes. <--------download

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Album is really good... enjoying it more each listen. Well done tribe. Even the guests dont detract for the album

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

wuk wrote:Has any group or artist ever pulled off something like this? Putting out a classic nearly on par with their golden era output 20-25 years later?
slow down brah. Album is great cuz we had low expectations (see de la) and there is definitely an emotional connection with this, but its not on par with their first 4 efforts at all.

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Album is really good... enjoying it more each listen. Well done tribe. Even the guests dont detract for the album

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Philaflava wrote:
wuk wrote:Has any group or artist ever pulled off something like this? Putting out a classic nearly on par with their golden era output 20-25 years later?
slow down brah. Album is great cuz we had low expectations (see de la) and there is definitely an emotional connection with this, but its not on par with their first 4 efforts at all.
:naswtf: :bunk: :nut:

What in the flying fuck are you talking about???
This album is better than EVERY other Tribe album except 'A Low End Theory' and 'Midnight Marauders'.
This album has a higher number of dope songs than 'Beats, Rhymes & Life', 'Love Movement' and 'Instinctive Travels'. EASILY. Fuck your internet era cynicism. Recognize magic when it's happening. It's far too rare to ruin with unreasonable doubt. People will be discovering the immaculate gifts on 'We Got It From Here...' for years and years to come.

I totally agree with wuk. NO group in history has done this, hip hop or not. 18 years between their last albums, and as one final offering, they end their legacy with an unbelievable classic, as an immortalizing act for one of their main members who is no longer alive.

It's not hyperbole to give this 5 mics (or 4 1/2 if people want to nitpick a few things). But this is everything the artform exists for, and more. Nobody expected such a great album when we heard it was coming, but now that it's here, let's NOT ruin it by being the typical pessimists that most other shit inspires us to feel, because it's some trend-following image-driven, calculated cash-grab with more demographics chemistry experimenting happening than actual collaboration for the sake of making greatness.

This album is five times better than it has any right to be. Talking shit about it? Them's fighting words. Nothing makes some of you people happy. You could be sitting in the middle of your own fucking dream heaven paradise dimension, and you'd still say "yeah... but I actually expected MORE."

:fail:

Beautiful honesty is so far gone from hip hop culture, that some people don't recognize it when it blossoms in their eyeballs.

Enough!!

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

Philaflava wrote:

agree