Black Thought HOT 97 freestyle

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Eyedea

Black Thought HOT 97 freestyle

Post by Eyedea »

Just noticed this :rockout:

https://www.facebook.com/TheRoots/video ... y8&fref=nf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MacQ32

Re: Black Thought HOT 97 freestyle

Post by MacQ32 »

BT is the GOAT, edging Monch on my personal list. He's probably got a good 15 of my top 100 verses ever. This literally might be the best one. Holy fuck

He's been doing a lot of press lately to not be dropping anything, I wonder if he might sneak release the Talented Mr Trotter on us - he referenced it on this. I've been needing a solo for years

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

overly technical paper champ. no one honestly considers him top 5, it's either true-school posing or philly shaftriding.

#blackthot
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

^ u are fucking crazy

Monotonous

Post by Monotonous »

There's no one who has ever been as consistent for as long as BT.

He's amazing.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Monotonous wrote:There's no one who has ever been as consistent for as long as BT.

He's amazing.
E-40 has been consistent for much longer

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

and he definitely doesn't have the number of songs released as an E-40.

thought has all the time in the world to think up decent bars.

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

Black Thought is up there, i just don't know the roots stuff that well.

Kool Keith is the most consistent though. Of all time speaking

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I've always been bored by Black thought, even though I would never deny that he's one of the greatest technical rappers of all time. But this shit? It's seriously one of the best rapping I've ever seen done live.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

dude said deepak chopra wrong.

it seemed like just rapping for rapping's sake. no real message, just bragging for too long referencing everything.
at least change the beat up or something. i thought this freestyle was boring.

funk flex all "you guys coming up here doing 50 takes???" umm maybe you shouldn't let them up there, then.

step one

Post by step one »

We had the BT debate on here recently

It's OK to like this and Migos. Anyone acting too cool to acknowledge this is very good should just go back to searching Cardi B's instagram page for nip slips or whatever the fuck it is rap fans do these days.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Lip Service and the Breath Control, Black Thought in the house with the dynamite soul!

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

sleazy_j wrote:dude said deepak chopra wrong.

it seemed like just rapping for rapping's sake. no real message, just bragging for too long referencing everything.
at least change the beat up or something. i thought this freestyle was boring.

funk flex all "you guys coming up here doing 50 takes???" umm maybe you shouldn't let them up there, then.
I feel like you're missing the point and nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. Like...what he did was not supposed to have a message (it's a funk flex freestyle, not the last song on his album) and he didn't pick if the beat switched or not (that's on the dj) but it's more watching this dude rap relentlessly and at an extremely high level for 10 minutes straight. I know he made it seem easy but there aren't many people on earth who can do what he did in this video. And by that, I mean do it well.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Doogs wrote:Black Thought is up there, i just don't know the roots stuff that well.

Kool Keith is in my top 5 of all time, but I wouldn't necessarily say he's the most consistent (just look at his output from the last decade). I'd argue keith is the most prolific rapper of all time tho...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

GOAT

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

Not even really a big Roots fan or Black Thought for that matter, sorry Gloss, but this is one of the greatest things I've seen.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:overly technical paper champ. no one honestly considers him top 5, it's either true-school posing or philly shaftriding.

#blackthot

what in Rakim's name are you talmbout fammo?!?!??

We cool kinfolk and all that... but NINJA IZ YOU CRAAAY-ZEEEEEE??

Black Thought is EASILY the MOST CONSISTENT RAPPER OF ALL TIME. EASILY WITHOUT QUESTION.

Even over Big Boi and Andre 3000, who are waaaay up there, but aren't as prolific as Tariq Trotter.

I used to say it was only him and Redman that were the most consistently solid rappers in hip hop history, but Redman has dropped a few mediocre projects in the last few years, even though nothing has been outright WACK, or completely uninspired like 'The Master' album by Rakim (yes, legends can make garbage.)

But homie: Black Thought is TOTALLY the GOAT that never gets included in the flock with BIG, Tupac, Jay-Z, Nas, Pharoahe, Talib, Mos Def, etc.

The ONE thing Black Thought lacks, that keeps him out of the conversations of GOATS, is *personality*. Yes, he's the most introverted, insular, secluded, secretive, navel-gazing, inside-joke-making, preaching to the converted, never lyrically compromising rapper maybe of all time... but that also seals in the freshness of his monstrous skills airtight.

You don't have to LIKE Black Thought as much as Pharoahe/Busta/Nas/Jay/Lil Wayne/etc.... but to not respect his rap skills to exist on the same cloud plateau as those GOATS? You huffing glue :omar: :gyeah:
:cheers:

Mans said
"We back for a couple things we lost in the fire/ the drive, the desire to perform on a higher plateau/ I'm at that show lost in a mire/ wondering how we got so far from inspired" :copy: :bow:
"No doubt, yo the game went they own route/ I UNNO WHAT THE FUCK THESE LAME KIDS IS TALMBOUT"
Funk Flex: AT ALL! AT ALLLL!!!
I love that part. :ironmike:

Then he said: "How it feel to be the best that did it, I admit it/ I'm visiting from Planet Bring-These-Niggas-Death-In-Minutes" :hooray: :copy:
Last edited by Mindbender Futurama on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

you hit the nail on the head. i just value personality more than you do (which is ironic cause it's something you have a ton of lol). there's no denying that blackthought has bars, he has clever punchlines, he has dope rhyme schemes. but he doesn't speak to me or resonate emotionally.

but to keep it 100 i only disrespected the god cause i wanted to troll phila (and it worked)
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

Blockhead wrote:I've always been bored by Black thought, even though I would never deny that he's one of the greatest technical rappers of all time. But this shit? It's seriously one of the best rapping I've ever seen done live.
yup....if any parts of this freestyle were made into a song or songs and put on an album theyd just be more ho hum black thought verses...but the fact that he spit this flawlessly live over ten minutes is just remarkable

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Wow that was awesome.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:you hit the nail on the head. i just value personality more than you do (which is ironic cause it's something you have a ton of lol). there's no denying that blackthought has bars, he has clever punchlines, he has dope rhyme schemes. but he doesn't speak to me or resonate emotionally.

but to keep it 100 i only disrespected the god cause i wanted to troll phila (and it worked)
I could smell your trolling attempt :ironmike:

if it was some other tool saying what you said, I woulda ignored it :fail:

but I fell into your rap mind trap willingly cause I like you :gyeah:

and thanks, I do have more personality than Black Thought :rofl:

but man that guy has STAMINA :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

#blackthot = :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:
Doogs wrote:Black Thought is up there, i just don't know the roots stuff that well.

Kool Keith is in my top 5 of all time, but I wouldn't necessarily say he's the most consistent (just look at his output from the last decade). I'd argue keith is the most prolific rapper of all time tho...
His material from the last decade has been excellent though. Literally everything he's done that isn't self produced is excellent. A lot of what he's put out that's self produced is good too, admittedly more of a guilty pleasure.

Just want to see another GOAT get shine.

Black Thought is otherworldly with the flow and cadence and all that, but i think others have hit the nail on the head about how well it translates song wise.

ANU

Post by ANU »

did we mention that black thought was boring ?

Jedisdope

Post by Jedisdope »

he did an interview with jimmy fallon about it and said it was all off the top. i was beyond impressed assuming it was a written. now i don't even understand ... like i don't think he would lie about that - it just makes it go from monstrous level skill to non-human level of skill.
http://www.jedirosenberg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@broodbabyjed

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

it wasn't all of the top. too clean and crisp for 10 minutes track and there were many of topics. the most impressive part was the breath control. zero pausing too. it was just 10 minutes of continuous slaughter. i don't know how much was written, but i would say 70%. but that is how it's done. he didn't read off his iphone or a piece of paper. it was a thing of beauty.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

Jedisdope wrote:he did an interview with jimmy fallon about it and said it was all off the top.
lol....none of it was

Jedisdope

Post by Jedisdope »

i just rewatched it. yeah, i agree. i don't think any of it was off the dome. too many complex rhymes stacked on each other, threading of concepts, cultural references, etc. and zero pauses or hesitations. just not possible to be off the top.

weird that he would say it was tho.
http://www.jedirosenberg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@broodbabyjed

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Yeah...that's total horseshit. i think he said it was a "freestyle" in the sense it was not for a song or something cause there is 0% chance that was off the top. I've heard him freestyle off the top many times and, while he's great at it...NO ONE can do that.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

we can all count on one hand the number of true freestyles in hop hop history

tribe did it.....heiro too.....not sure who else