New Nas album due June 15, reportedly all produced by Kanye

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

djfilthyrich

New Nas album due June 15, reportedly all produced by Kanye

Post by djfilthyrich »

Kanye Says He’s Producing Nas’ New Album

It’s reportedly out June 15

Kanye West has shared that—in addition to the many other albums he’s currently working on—he’s producing Nas’ new album. It’s reportedly out June 15. It follows Nas’ 2012 LP Life is Good. Last week, Kanye shared that he was working on Pusha T’s new album (out May 25), a new solo 7-track album (out June 1), a collaborative album with Kid Cudi (out June 8), and Teyana Taylor’s new album (out June 22). “I’m hand producing all the albums I tweeted about. Been chopping samples from the sunken place,” he wrote. See below.

Kanye and Nas have a long collaborative history. Kanye co-produced “Poppa Was a Playa” off 2002’s The Lost Tapes, and later jumped on Hip-Hop is Dead’s “Still Dreaming” in 2006. More recently, they joined forces on French Montana’s Wave Gods song “Figure It Out.” Kanye also contributed music to Nas’ film starring Erykah Badu, The Land.

Source:
https://pitchfork.com/news/kanye-says-h ... new-album/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if Kanye producing the whole album is a good thing or bad thing....if he can come with something as good as the Common 'Be' album he did, then this could be good news. If he comes with experimental/new age beats, this could be really bad IMO. Guess we gotta wait till June 15 to see (if this actually ends up coming out at all....never know with Nas)

TheTed

Re: New Nas album due June 15, reportedly all produced by Ka

Post by TheTed »

5 albums in 5 weeks, allegedly all "hand produced" by Kanye seems unlikely. He's had a bunch of other producers out in Wyoming so I think he's being a bit loose with the term "producing".

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

Would've been excited to hear a Nas album produced by Kanye West, not Kanye Kardashian.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

can't wait for the rush of kanye madness. it will ultimately end bad i think.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

I have a very bad feeling about this...

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

I have a hard time believing this. After all this time out of nowhere Nas is dropping an album entirely produced by Kanye? Maybe 2 tracks, but an entire album?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Philaflava wrote:can't wait for the rush of kanye madness. it will ultimately end bad i think.

The last two Kanye albums grew on me. Took longer for Yeezus. I initially liked some of TLOP, but I grew to love a lot of it, especially after he added Facts and Saint Pablo.

step one

Post by step one »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:I have a very bad feeling about this...
There will be at least 2 songs about being a dad and one where Nas says something about mumble rap. Also a good chance of a Swizz Beatz appearance, an awkward Jay Z verse and a song with a horrible R&B hook
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Monotonous

Post by Monotonous »

I'm excited as fuck for this.

But. Prepared for disappointment also.

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

It'll be disappointing, like his last nine albums.

:sherlock:

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Mass Appeal posted about this on their IG so it must be true. I'm pretty shocked right now to be honest.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Nas's new Kanye-produced LP will be the greatest album of the new millennium. It will likely eclipse Illmatic both in terms of impact and quality. People like to hate on Nas and question his beat selection etc; well: no more. With Kanye at the helm, you better get fuckin' ready.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Employee wrote:Nas's new Kanye-produced LP will be the greatest album of the new millennium. It will likely eclipse Illmatic both in terms of impact and quality. People like to hate on Nas and question his beat selection etc; well: no more. With Kanye at the helm, you better get fuckin' ready.
What's funny is, I bet mindbender actually thinks all of this

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

I think DJ Bill Gates's Weath Level who started the thread is far more inclined to hold that opinion as opposed to Bender. Why people get Rap Bonerz over this type of shit escapes me. Nas is not good anymore; I'm very sorry to point out what is obvious to anyone with ears. If Kanye actually produced a single Nas song on his (allegedly) forthcoming album, it's going to suck balls. Yes: I can see into the fuckin' future. This shit is Minivan Rap.

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Y@k Bollox wrote:It'll be disappointing, like his last nine albums.

:sherlock:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

kanye is having a manic episode, please don't encourage him.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

Employee wrote:I think DJ Bill Gates's Weath Level who started the thread is far more inclined to hold that opinion as opposed to Bender. Why people get Rap Bonerz over this type of shit escapes me. Nas is not good anymore; I'm very sorry to point out what is obvious to anyone with ears. If Kanye actually produced a single Nas song on his (allegedly) forthcoming album, it's going to suck balls. Yes: I can see into the fuckin' future. This shit is Minivan Rap.

maybe you should read the OP again dickhead. I'm pretty skeptical that this will turn out to be good (if it even happens at all)

djfilthyrich

Post by djfilthyrich »

step one wrote:
GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:I have a very bad feeling about this...
There will be at least 2 songs about being a dad and one where Nas says something about mumble rap. Also a good chance of a Swizz Beatz appearance, an awkward Jay Z verse and a song with a horrible R&B hook
:lol:
Monotonous wrote:
But. Prepared for disappointment also.
Yup....just gonna expect the worst, and hope for something better

I wouldn't mind if we get more (but not too much) of this:

https://youtu.be/PGbWcx_K-SE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

With Nas, IMO, he needs to flow over old school sounding drums. Simple boom bap cadence. The music can be whatever, but underneath needs to be drums that are consistent and on time throughout. He sounded terrible at times on that Khaled shit because it was all over the place. I read that he now writes to his own beats and then sends a cappellas to the producers who fit it to their beats. That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Give him beats like Real Friends or 30 Hours and let him kill it. He's best when he can just ride the beat. That is what his flow has always been about.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

He explained (allegedly) to Toure that he chooses wack beats purposely to challenge himself because he thinks he is so good. Sounds like a load of shit to me. Nas has access to the illest shit on the face of the earth and every album is the same, boring ass, stale beats. If he was still even at say, a Black Thought level, it might be moderately interesting. But he is not and Kanye is a musician now in the same way Madonna is.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Serious question to everyone: Name some beats over the years that would have been better suited to Nas than the artist that actual used it for a song. That's where I always get confused. Would Nas have been more suited for the beats on say The Blueprint? Or like the OP says, BE? Should Nas have rhymed over Jesus Walks or All Falls Down? Watch The Throne? Run The Jewels? He sounded great over Gobstopper but wouldn't a lot of people consider it boring if he did a whole album with Dilla Beats? Just a discussion. I don't know the answer.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

stypeones wrote:Serious question to everyone: Name some beats over the years that would have been better suited to Nas than the artist that actual used it for a song. That's where I always get confused. Would Nas have been more suited for the beats on say The Blueprint? Or like the OP says, BE? Should Nas have rhymed over Jesus Walks or All Falls Down? Watch The Throne? Run The Jewels? He sounded great over Gobstopper but wouldn't a lot of people consider it boring if he did a whole album with Dilla Beats? Just a discussion. I don't know the answer.
I think I'd like to hear a mix of sounds from different producers in the vein of Illmatic or Lost Tapes. A mix of BE, College Dropout might sound cool, but those sounds have already been used. I would hope that Nas just introduce us to a new sound that changes the course of Hip Hop from here on out (like Illmatic and other classics did, but not go copy that album's sound). Something new, fresh but good that breathes new life into the culture.

I'm sure Nas could've picked from some pool of talented unknown producers but I feel like the Kanye pick is the business/publicity scheme for the project. I'd personally like to hear Nas get a mix of beats from Green Lantern, Symbolyc One, dead prez, Havoc, Bink!.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

stypeones wrote:Serious question to everyone: Name some beats over the years that would have been better suited to Nas than the artist that actual used it for a song. That's where I always get confused. Would Nas have been more suited for the beats on say The Blueprint? Or like the OP says, BE? Should Nas have rhymed over Jesus Walks or All Falls Down? Watch The Throne? Run The Jewels? He sounded great over Gobstopper but wouldn't a lot of people consider it boring if he did a whole album with Dilla Beats? Just a discussion. I don't know the answer.
I'm not embarking on a fucking homework expedition, but it's obvious and I don't give a fuck that I am going FULL ITHE: ILLMATIC. Fuck anything after that; that's the blueprint and he fucked it up. Any other suggestion, opinion, or argument is irrelevant.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Straight up: if your Rap Boner is not at FULL MAST after listening to "New York State of Mind", you are not a man.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

fatboybrandon wrote:
I think I'd like to hear a mix of sounds from different producers in the vein of Illmatic or Lost Tapes. A mix of BE, College Dropout might sound cool, but those sounds have already been used. I would hope that Nas just introduce us to a new sound that changes the course of Hip Hop from here on out (like Illmatic and other classics did, but not go copy that album's sound). Something new, fresh but good that breathes new life into the culture.

I'm sure Nas could've picked from some pool of talented unknown producers but I feel like the Kanye pick is the business/publicity scheme for the project. I'd personally like to hear Nas get a mix of beats from Green Lantern, Symbolyc One, dead prez, Havoc, Bink!.

I feel you, but those guys would have to bring their A game for it to not sound like a glorified mix tape.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Employee wrote:
I'm not embarking on a fucking homework expedition, but it's obvious and I don't give a fuck that I am going FULL ITHE: ILLMATIC. Fuck anything after that; that's the blueprint and he fucked it up. Any other suggestion, opinion, or argument is irrelevant.
That is a music that doesn't exist anymore so hoping to meet that level is impossible. Sure, if Preem or Pete decided to actually really bring it it might work, but, and I hate to say it cause I love them, their recent beats are decent at best. Now if he did an album with Large and Tip, that would give me all types of bonZZ.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Employee wrote:Straight up: if your Rap Boner is not at FULL MAST after listening to "New York State of Mind", you are not a man.
Of course, but again, he's never making NYSOM or even NYSOM Pt 2 (which is fucking excellent) ever again and also neither is Preem.

Nas gets it the worst all the time because everyone compares everything to illmatic. Does any artist ever, in the history of music, ever get every release compared to their first more? Guns N' Roses is about the only I can think of an it's not a coincidence. Instant classic debut albums are impossible to live up to in so many minds and I feel bad for people because they are missing out on good shit.

step one

Post by step one »

if Illmatic is such a burden maybe he should stop performing it and reissuing it every year
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com