Song Name: "Dust"
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... ndID=52128

Tayo
Song Name: "Don't Know"
http://www.myspace.com/tayoisnt

M:akai
Song Name: "Never Lookin Back"
http://www.zebox.com/teeto2
Last edited by Hasenfefer on Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Primus

Post by Primus »

feeling tayo's the most

liked the mood of it, simple yet eloquent.

deff enders gave him a run i liked that one is was grimey.

tayo got my vote "is it wrong to love your beat?" hah
This is when the mask was brand spanking new/ Before it got rusted for drinking all the brew/ *sniff* Stankin Too//

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

damn...y'all came with some heat! This is a hard choice indeed. I'm having a tough time deciding between DeffEnders, Agent B, and Tayo. They're all great in their own way.

Deff Enders-- love the grimey vibe and synth sounds you use. the synth that comes in around :55 is probably my favorite part of this beat. excellent job here

Agent B-- this track is aptly titled...its just dripping with atmosphere. I especially liked the first minute, i kinda wish that was brought back later on in the beat. all the changeups you have are dope though. the use of the voice samples works great

Tayo-- lol @ that pic. damn this beat is great. I love the melody, and how it blends with the horns. i also really dig how you flipped that voice sample. This beat made me happy, which is exactly what I needed 'cause I just spent a depressing day at a prison talking with inmates. This gets my vote!

bizzlestiltskin

Post by bizzlestiltskin »

from a real quick peek of everyone's shit, I'd have to say Agent B's is probably the dopest. He kind of went out of my comfort range in the 2nd half of the beat, but the first part was amazing. Tayo's was great as well. A really good low key, put-you-in-a-good-mood beat. I realized that we had sort of similar vibes on our beats. the only difference was that yours was light years better.

deff- good to see you back, man. this has got a similar vibe to those beats you made for that tajai remix album. all those crazy synths. i have a hard time figuring out what is sampled on this. this is like madness. props man.

I was feeling M:akai's too. Good, solid work man. smooth beat for someone to rhyme to.

nygh--liking those drums. definitely different soudning. Not sure if I like that moog bass type stuff though. you flipped that vocal sample nicely, though.

nestle--this is pretty cool. haha I can't really hear the beat too well though! turn that shit up man. one of your better beats, I think. Just get that mix fixed. That guitar strum is tight and the bassline sounds nice.
Last edited by bizzlestiltskin on Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm platinum, bitch. And I didn't have to sell out." -- Ice Cube

http://www.myspace.com/doledrums
http://www.soundclick.com/lilbizzo

TheEnglishProfessorGuy
Extortionist

Post by TheEnglishProfessorGuy »

tayo won the entire contest no need for anyone to vote.

ROSARIO

Post by ROSARIO »

TheEnglishProfessorGuy wrote:tayo won the entire contest no need for anyone to vote.
yea it was so obvious that was gonna happen lol. tayo is the man.

nestle quik

Post by nestle quik »

Bizzle-haha I see tayo has company with the flanger effect,this shit was lush sounding,but didnt have your beats usual movement,sounded kinda thrown together,still the chopping is nice here,esp. with the horns.I listened to my beat right after I listened to yours and realized how sloppily mine was mixed,haha

DeffEnders-goddamn!that ish is funky in a technobass kinda way,lovin the way you flipped those harsh ass strings,makes me feel kinda bad for not using those,ah well,this whole beat sounds like it was made from synth,hardly any sample usage,unless that bad ass guitar is from the soundtrack as well,liking this joint,very well put together

Nygh-probably the most recognizable sample usage I've heard thus far other than mine,this is nice,I'm diggin the chunky drums with the popping going on,not very distracting at all,the spanish guitar is the freshest part,can't believe I missed that,oh then this vocal sample comes back,well done,not many complaints,also the crickets in the background are a nice touch,did those come from the samples?

Agent B-Fresh drums here,got a nice soundtrack feel for a much more modern movie than these were taken from,now the beat is getting technoey,this was creative,I dig the middle of the road easy thump of the first beat though,although this does serve as a fitting climax,something these other beats are missing,damn made a whole song out of this,nice job here,love all the elements that were used here

Me-I hate me

Tayo-you know I love yours,shit really works to create an atmosphere and emotion with the samples,also was flipped hilariously well

M:akai-nice drum movement here,sounds groovy,recognizing these samples used here,haha,I knew these would get used eventually,oh no you had to flip my bass too!only for a second,you made several beats out of this one,,whoa this second beat is GRIMY,shit sounds like a whole short group of snippets for an album,this is insane,you went all out here pa..

M:akais took me by surprise,loved all the switchups,although cohesively after a while it just sounded like a bunch of different beats strung together,but you did thrown some vocal snippets in it to give it some continuity....good shit all...

tayoisnt

Post by tayoisnt »

bizz - whoof. gotdamn. you know how to leave room. like, i have no idea to chop a beat where the different chunks don't touch, gotta keep the space clusterfucking itself into some semblance of logic. you let shit breathe, and it fucking works. no idea how you scratched the sax like that, seriously, it's like the metal and wood and felt came to life and was pleased by the idea. the drums kniggityKNOCK too. good money, you made this shit specific. well done.

deff - now, this shit stayed true to the initial intentions of the supplied material without being anywhere in the neighbourhood of derivation. the chord change is fucking marvelous, like, this is how you flip a gotdamn record. thank you for validating sampling for people that i really shouldn't give a shit about. all in all though, i dunno if i really like this, it's a bit too...military, all sharp edges and slice points, but, i admire the hell out of it's development, like, the single string stabs bounce off that synthline fucking marvelously. you should score things. things that go over budget, because they need to pay you appropriately. props on your scope and sense of sound. great money.

nygh - your style is concrete and mortar, homie. shit is set, and can support others. seriously, like, it's on some...spending 2 weeks to find the right team of noises, screwing each one on it's own, needle thin dart heads and throwing them up at a fucking comet with your eyes closed. shit is dangerous sounding all gotdamn night. props. the vocal chop is cool as hell, this has grown on me to no end. the fade out is awesome, and the introduction of the guitar line is brilliant. this shit is illogical, but then, so is hip-hop by definition. great job.

agent b - jesus. thanks for making me insecure. that fucking guitar line is monstrous. i will be playing this for friends. the drums could be a bit deeper and wider, but, the programming is beyond reproach. the development of the theme is like, jesus, great money on the commitment and introduction of supporting elements. it's like you were trying to invent water and came up with wine, and realized how much better the taste was along the way. also, props on the vocal chopping and the imagination involved. this is a ball of gully. welldone.

nestle - classicist as hell. seriously, ag would have cemented his status as one of the all time great c-list mc's over this shit, rhyming the ation suffix for 24 bars, at least. the bassline stabs are grand, and the drums shuffle along good and smoothly. the pauses are arbitrary, but feel like they mean a whole heap of a lot, y'know? props due. this is rhymeable as shit, makes me wanna not clear my throat.

m:akai - awwww, see, that's a fucking break flip. your shit is one of the most unashamedly fun sounding pieces so far, and props on repitching the guitar line until it sang along. the flute driven chord change is fucking marvelous as hell, but, ergh, the transition sucks all the power and movement loose. wish you'd figured out a better way to move between sections. the drums on the second to last section are fucking brilliant, stutterstepping their way through memory like no-one's business. jesus, but the snare on the last one is even better. hm. this feels more like a beat tape than anything else, to be honest. ha, which is not a bad thing, just...nothing really sustains itself long enough to really latch on to. all in all, a bunch of great ideas that don't get room to stretch. great money though, definitely. take some ritalin and hollerate back. ;)

tayo - budget dilla. and the transition into the bridge is too fucking abrupt, ass. thanks for listening y'all, appreciate the props.

respect due for has in putting this together, and to everyone for showing up. mad as hell hippo didn't get busy, because i know my man would've fucked us all up some'm lovely.

have a good night. deuces.
got more records than god.

www.myspace.com/tayoisnt is where i show how i use 'em.

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

bizzle: some real nice chopping here, you're getting dangerous with that steez. drums were solid. liked the horn work for the little change up.

deffenders: this was super-creative. mix is clean as hell...the movement along the way kept everything fresh. really dig this, just wish is was a bit longer.

nygh: this is solid, kind of dreamy mood. a little on the sparse side, but it works. sounds very emcee-friendly. good shit.

agent b & gus: this is epic sounding. the vocal choppage and guitar work in the first minute are sick. the transition into those violent drums worked really well. so much movement in this piece. this was probably the most creative track of the whole contest, imo.

nestle: you know you suck so i don't have to tell you that. :) just playing man. i dug this, i also think those new speakers are helping your mix a lot. drums sound like they bang harder than usual. another emcee-friendly type joint.

tayo: very slick joint. samples blend together really well. vocal choppage is silky smooth. very upbeat soulful feel, i'd love to hear you rap over this. definitely one of the best beats i've heard in this contest.

m:akai: very unique take on the samples provided, dope ear. mix sounds pretty clean...that first change up didnt feel as smooth as it could have been...but i do like the fade out into the next vocal interlude type section. damn, sounds like a completely new joint now. props on rocking so many samples in this.

this came down to deffender, agent b and tayo for me. tough call but agent b gets my vote. his joint just displayed so much creativity and form, i think it's really one of the stand out tracks in this whole contest.

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

blitz-couldnt get your to play cause i've got a popup blocker. can you give a link to the soundclick site you have the beat on?

Def-this was made really damn well. Great layers throughout. Its not my style of beat but I see what makes it special.

nygh-i like the vocal arangement on this. Wasn't feeling the guitar that comes in though. Good mood.

Agent B-this track is great. great elements, great atmosphere.

Nestle-this beat seems a bit bare. It could also use a changeup or two.

Tayo-this track is very fucking clean. I usually go for less upbeat tracks but this beat is solid. dig the horns and the vocal.

m:akai-this shit is funky. really diggin the drums. like the horns and the guitar a lot. fucking love the break in the middle. don't really dig the second section, but this is a good track.

i'm not gonna vote until i can hear blitz' stuff

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

Lemme just say this...

DeffEnders, I wanted to vote for you. Really. You have a style that I really dig and want to see more of around here.

But then tayo made that perfect low-key jam. And Agent B had to throw that monster out into the wild.

All said and done, I had to give my vote to Agent B. But post more, please.

Thanks in advance.

bizzlestiltskin

Post by bizzlestiltskin »

"I'm platinum, bitch. And I didn't have to sell out." -- Ice Cube

http://www.myspace.com/doledrums
http://www.soundclick.com/lilbizzo

DeffEnders

Post by DeffEnders »

Bizzo - This has some Dilla-esque flavor going on. The horns fill the gaps nicely and give the track a solid feel. Chop is lovely; you made something great out of very little here. Drums are dope for the most part; bangin nicely. The fill is a little awkward though and the change up leaves a little to be desired. Good little jam overall. Knew what you were doing with this and did it well. One of my favorites actually, top 3 easy.

DeffEnders - :naswtf: John Kruk actually said

dudley dawson

Post by dudley dawson »

had to go with deff enders.
it was between his, tayo, and m:kai
tommorow never comes
yesterday never happened
today is a loosely based on a reality thats imagined

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

no offense intended to anyone involved so please dont take it that way

but

agent b & gustodians track was the only track in the contest that i wanted to listen to multiple times

i didnt listen to the samples provided so my opinion is strictly based on the final product

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

bizzle - went for the mc friendly approach, i dig this. flanger effect was cool. i've always been a fan of your drum programming, shit's simple but it works perfectly. had to bump this twice before i moved on.

deff - shit's aggressive as fuck. shit makes me want to punch a hole through the nearest solid surface. ooh wee at that shit that comes in around the 50 sec mark. this ain't something i'd bump personally but i can respect the talent it took to make this. good shit man. mix was good too.

nygh - vibe out music, someone like slum could rock over this. not sure about the switch though. it ain't actually bad, it'd work as a standalone beat but it just doesn't sound right to me with the main loop. diggin the bass. the fade out is nice too.

agent & gus - seriously, wow. you told a story with this shit. shit made me feel like i was in a dark ass room trying to find that night light off in a distance. no real complaints here. some serious sample flippage goin on right here.

nestle - this is that mid 90s hip hop right here. shit is dirty as fuck. i'd love to hear an old mobb acapella over this. definitely one of your better beats. good work.

tayo - damn, this beat was lovely. you did a good job of piecing everything together. definitely feel good music. i dig how your drums dropped in. the way the horns peek through is whatsup. no complaints here man. definitely a contender.

mkai - that's what i'm talking bout. this shit reaked of funk. i only wished you let the sections run a little longer, by maybe 4-6 more bars. just when i was started to groove, you'd switch it up. that snare on that last track, yea, i need to jack that, haha. good shit man.

haha, i really don't know who to vote for. i'll be back later to drop my vote.

dox of poorly drawn peopl

Post by dox of poorly drawn peopl »

tayo -- i love the way this put together... great vibe... i'm really digging this.

nygh -- i dig this. love the bass. it's great when that guitar with those damn crickets comes in. i feel like this is some hi-fi grap luva shit.

nestle -- good job chopping, as usual. drums are diggable. i was originally gonna flip this part of the sample, but by accident, flipped three other parts of that song.

m:akai -- i dig the chops. it moves really nicely. it's not jumping out at me right now... getting into a switch up as i type... i dig this switch up... okay... this is quality... but it's not sticking to me. last part is easily my favorite. not wild on the drums, however... feel a little stiff/clean.

deff enders... this is rugged. not my type of joint, however. next level... not mine my level.

bizzlestillskin -- great chops... really mc friendly. not leaping out.

agent b -- i think you're more talented than most of the producing world. this is probably the most proficient beat in this battle. however, where i can recognize the skill, this beat doesn't do "it" for me.

gotta go with tayo. i'm loving this vibe... i'm putting this on goddamn repeat.

those vocals all chopped are hypnotizing.

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

agent b. then tayo and bizzle
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

gave it tayo.. too nice, even my boom bap disillusioned ass can't deny it.. you got the gift, emotion wins out every time...

agent b was nice but the second half didn't live up to the first i think.. you're prolly the only one on here who has a vision for music that makes me jealous tho...

yeah

Thun

Post by Thun »

RacquetballGangsta wrote:agent b. then tayo and bizzle

Orale Holmes

Post by Orale Holmes »

tayo....thats the choice of this generation.

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

voting will be closed tomorrow (fri), so if you haven't voted yet do so.

M:akai

Post by M:akai »

damn, sorry it took so long to get to this, had drama between the girl + midterms for the past 4 days...either way...

tayo = i feel like i'm playing golf in a blaxploitation movie in a good way. this has got a lot of character, very melodic, and your drums n' bass keep her moving properly...details is money. and those little rolls evrey 16 bars make me happy dope

Agent B = this had that epic quality with the progressions and all...shit flowed right, transitions are flipped noice...unique as funk. i dig this, got me sweating and shit. hot money.

Def = dope shit. i like the flip on this and your drums were on some crazy ill shit. just busy enough to not get untidy. tight work, this seems like a different style for ya, but it works.

Biz = this was on the cusp of crazy 9th wonder pandemonium. it's nice arrangements, drums are crunchy, and everythign sounds right together, i dunno why, it just doesnt punch me in the nose right. an mc over it would make it complete.

Nygh = this was real nice once it got moving, it took a while for me to adapt to the sound of that main vocal cut, but once you dropped it out for a second and swept it all back together it worked real nice, and i saw what you were doin with it.

Nestle quik = this is aright, got some nice texture to it. sounds like it's gonna slide progressions in sneaky type till it blasts...but it doesn't yet. this is one change up away from being scary.

agent b grabbed at my ears the most.

pz

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Agent B has been the only producer to truly impress me in this first round of beats. A lot have gotten my head nodding, for sure, but his beat's really the only one that made me take a step backward. Even if it lulled in a couple spots, it quickly found its momentum again. I'm really impressed with the way you've developed such a marquee sound for yourself. Great work.

Runner-up, predictably: Tayo. But compared to a lot of your other work, I'm really surprised. I haven't listened to the sample pack yet, so maybe that's the trouble?

Also, for the next battle, any chance you could put a time limit on the beats? 'Cause some of these just run for too god damn long.

Post by 360 »

Agent B all day.

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

congrats to tayo on winning this round.

props to everyone who got down on this.