5%
Chuck D
4%
Ghostface Killah
5%

Total votes: 191

marinville

Post by marinville »

the two people who picked eminem (in the event that they were in fact not joking) should die. not soon, but right now.

anyways I vote for doseone.

just kidding, actually I voted for rakim.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

SkylarjohnsoN wrote:No Sage?????

@Phila
SAGEkillz Ghostface.
That HTML shit has really got to your head. Okay, how about this...neither GFK or Sage are even close to being the GOAT, so let's start being realistic and just vote either Rakim or KRS. Have a nice day! :wink:

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

SkylarjohnsoN wrote:No Sage?????

@Phila
SAGEkillz Ghostface.
your mom

Abinatra

Post by Abinatra »

I voted for Rakim w/o ever looking at the other contestants.
The one emceee who can never sound dated.

I read a few replies and I honestly think.....
someone should ban zev luv whatever his name is now.
Please.

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

Abinatra wrote: someone should ban zev luv whatever his name is now.
agreed.

zev_luv_next

Post by zev_luv_next »

why?...because of my opinion?......thats mighty arrogant of you herbs.

Andro

Post by Andro »

zev luv is the male version of myjah from 2 years ago....

Hagfish

Post by Hagfish »

Gotta go with The God.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

why is nas tied with krs.

shopvack

Post by shopvack »

SYMantiks wrote:why is nas tied with krs.
because 22 people voted for him

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

Voted for Nasir because he made my favorite album ever. Obviously KRS or Rakim deserves all the votes they get.

Big L should be on the list. Guru too.

ogice

Post by ogice »

Pos deserves to be on this list too.

ogice

Post by ogice »

clark bent wrote:okay, who the fuck voted for ghostface.

lol...word

is there anyone thats ever been more slurped than ghost
Unlike Ice Cube, Ghost has never fallen off.

OB4CL
Ironman
Supreme Clientele
Enter the 36 Chambers
Wu Tang Forever
The W
Pretty Toney (plus unreleased tracks)
Bulletproof Wallets ("")

Ice Cube isn't fucking with that catalogue.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

OB4CL
Ironman
Supreme Clientele
Enter the 36 Chambers
Wu Tang Forever
The W
Bulletproof Wallets ("")

it doesnt beat ice cubes catalog anyway...but i dont really understand what posting ghosts discography proves...especially when i can take five verses off death certificate alone that are better than anything ghost has ever done

and i LOVE ghost...but he aint even in cubes league

ogice

Post by ogice »

clark bent wrote:OB4CL
Ironman
Supreme Clientele
Enter the 36 Chambers
Wu Tang Forever
The W
Bulletproof Wallets ("")

it doesnt beat ice cubes catalog anyway...but i dont really understand what posting ghosts discography proves...especially when i can take five verses off death certificate alone that are better than anything ghost has ever done

and i LOVE ghost...but he aint even in cubes league
Comparing Ghost's lyrics and Cube's lyrics is like apples and oranges or like comparing Langston Hughes with ee cummings.

IMO, nothing is fucking with Ghost's verses on "All that I Got Is You," "Impossible," "Daytona 500," "Ice Water," and "Mighty Healthy."

I like Cube A LOT, but he's not as creative as Ghost...he doesn't have as much soul either.

Req

Post by Req »

SYMantiks wrote:why is nas tied with krs.
i know, i cant believe Nas isnt #1 either.

*goes back to registering more accounts to vote for Kanye*
F.U. MOOLAH

CaseJuan

Post by CaseJuan »

How did you come up with your pick? Whenever I think about picking the greatest rapper of all-time, I tend to compare it with selecting the greatest basketball player of all-time. Everybody says Jordan is the greatest of all-time and it's generally accepted. (I disagree, but ...)

Dr. J revolutionalized the game as Rakim did, but nobody claims he's the best.

Wilt Chamberlain holds the record for most points in a game, as Tupac holds for most CDs sold (Eminem will pass him soon). But Wilt is kinda disregarded because he had an unfair advantage (size) as Tupac [death (you know a good portion of them albums sold after that nigga died)].

Bill Russell won the most championships...

Anyway, my main problem is how so many guys, not only here, but in general, go out of their way to pay homage to the old school because its the trendy thing to do. Run DMC get props from everybody today and anytime somebody doesn't know about the old school cats try to put him off like a lame. Now, it's cool to know your history, but it seems like people are going WAY out of their way to prove they know it and that is never cool.

Do you like titties?

Ches!

Req

Post by Req »

CaseJuan wrote:How did you come up with your pick? Whenever I think about picking the greatest rapper of all-time, I tend to compare it with selecting the greatest basketball player of all-time. Everybody says Jordan is the greatest of all-time and it's generally accepted. (I disagree, but ...)

Dr. J revolutionalized the game as Rakim did, but nobody claims he's the best.

Wilt Chamberlain holds the record for most points in a game, as Tupac holds for most CDs sold (Eminem will pass him soon). But Wilt is kinda disregarded because he had an unfair advantage (size) as Tupac [death (you know a good portion of them albums sold after that nigga died)].

Bill Russell won the most championships...

Anyway, my main problem is how so many guys, not only here, but in general, go out of their way to pay homage to the old school because its the trendy thing to do. Run DMC get props from everybody today and anytime somebody doesn't know about the old school cats try to put him off like a lame. Now, it's cool to know your history, but it seems like people are going WAY out of their way to prove they know it and that is never cool.
i agree with you actually.

But, influence will always be overhyped, and in a way id prefer that to people just hopping on the bandwagon of any recent emcees. In conjuction with groundbreaking achievements its fair criteria.

People will always vote for Rakim and KRS just because of how they changed the game. Can you imagine hip-hop without Rakim? How long would it have taken for a similar emcee to come along and basically influence everyone else plus those on the come up. Its something i thought about when voting (i voted for Nas).....

Now obviously, he was influenced by Rakim a good deal, but i feel that his catalogue has outgrown the comparisons to the point where he himself has become a massive influence on others. As for achievements, he has 2 classic LPs, one of which is considered by many as the greatest Hip-Hop LP of all time (and at least obviously 'one of' by the rest).....3 if you factor in The Lost Tapes, plus 2 very dope LPs......a vault of great unreleased work and a consensually classic battle under his belt. Infact, if he shut his mouth in interviews he'd probably be roundly revered more than Rakim and KRS.

still, i think its more than enough criteria for the GOAT. Who knows, if he dropped dead tomorrow, would everyone be proclaiming him so?
F.U. MOOLAH

Hagfish

Post by Hagfish »

I picked Rakim because he's the best to me - simple as that. Completely ignoring the monumental impact he had on rapping, his flow and lyrics were about as good as you can possibly get. This isn't coming from someone who is trying to prove they're down; this is coming from someone who raps along to "No Omega", "My Melody", and "Kick Along" on a regular basis.

"You try to strike but you ain't no match" :!:

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

It's too hard to say who's the greatest.
This poll should be "Who do you like the most?"

Can-U

Post by Can-U »

some may debate some may agree, but to me, commons the best to do it, his last album wasnt great...but hes been more consistent and made more meaningful music to me at least

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Can-U wrote:some may debate some may agree, but to me, commons the best to do it, his last album wasnt great...but hes been more consistent and made more meaningful music to me at least
you seem like a nice kid and all, but the fact that you would even think common is better than the 10 listed is quite absurd.

Req

Post by Req »

PhilaFlava wrote:
Can-U wrote:some may debate some may agree, but to me, commons the best to do it, his last album wasnt great...but hes been more consistent and made more meaningful music to me at least
you seem like a nice kid and all, but the fact that you would even think common is better than the 10 listed is quite absurd.
you dont think a case could be made for Common > GFK?
F.U. MOOLAH

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Req wrote:
PhilaFlava wrote:
you dont think a case could be made for Common > GFK?
realistically, you could me a case for common > gfk, eminem or maybe 2 others, but you can't possibly say the GOAT. if we are talking consistentcy which is what Can-U brought up, then GFK eats up Common in that department. People forget Common's first and last albums were not that hot, can you say the same for GFK?

Can-U

Post by Can-U »

commons had 3 great albums and 2 mediocre albums

nas has had 1 great album and then some albums with great songs but never another great album...well maybe lost tapes.

Jay has had I'd say 3 great albums and then 3 mediocre ones

its all opinion anyways...seems like you're a lil tookback by the fact somebody might like common over em, nas, and jay.

Its not like this is the most definitive list of best emcees ever. You left Del off the list as well.

Req

Post by Req »

Can-U wrote:nas has had 1 great album and then some albums with great songs but never another great album...
F.U. MOOLAH

Can-U

Post by Can-U »

Req wrote:
Can-U wrote:nas has had 1 great album and then some albums with great songs but never another great album...
errrr

Hagfish

Post by Hagfish »

Req wrote:

Actually, I think all Nas' albums were dope except for Nastradamus, which still isn't bad. No way can you say Jay-Z has three and Nas only has one, when Jay-Z's best album isn't even necessarily better than Nas' second best.

Can-U

Post by Can-U »

id say lyrically nas is better then jay...but just from a standpoint of cohesiveness and consistancy Jay has better albums

Hagfish

Post by Hagfish »

:?: Every album besides Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint has had the same "trying to make a song for everyone" formula, which is not the path to cohesiveness and consistency.