Spark Master Tape

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

catfish hunter
slime green

Re: Spark Master Tape

Post by catfish hunter »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:Have listened to this about 3 times. Can someone tell me Noisey's thoughts on it before I decide what I think of it?
I think SMT uses too much outdated slang and 2005ishness to be considered by the bloginati.

Is SMT wavriel?

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

catfish hunter wrote:
Y@k Bollocks wrote:Have listened to this about 3 times. Can someone tell me Noisey's thoughts on it before I decide what I think of it?
I think SMT uses too much outdated slang and 2005ishness to be considered by the bloginati.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Charlie's Episode is my pick for song of the year thus far.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:
catfish hunter wrote:
:lol:

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

i fux with the video. i am still enjoying the tape tho, definite fire on there

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

i'm pretty sure i've figured out his identity :ohsh:

i'm keeping it under wraps. catfish can vouch for my findings.
Last edited by sleazy_j on Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

this tape's even better than the last one.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Piff and I have been debating about this shit for a sec again. So, I told him that I'm giving this shit more spins today and taking his advice to listen past the voice and pay attention more to the lyrics. Fucking beats are tough though still.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Fuzzy Logic

Post by Fuzzy Logic »

so hes not Kai Skywalker?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

that interview isn't very good

there's an obvious disconnect between SMT who doesn't drop kayfaybe and continues to answer with schtick, and the interviewer who for some dumb reason keeps asking his generic-ass stock questions like the kid is not trolling him
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Ok, I listened to the newest mixtape a lot more and I have to say, the way they produce the songs are damn good. Paper Platoon know what they're doing. Getting past the voice, I like the verses a lot. Stays in my Android phone. Best song is "Never Give A Fukk" so far.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Interview makes him seem corny imo. It's cool to have a persona or whatever whatever but the one he adopted there is neither interesting nor amusing.

Still like the beats though.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

had a chat the other day with Spark via the info super highway. He lurked all 6 pages here and was appreciative of our effort. I'm gonna go ahead and say the :phila: seems like source material for Weiss blog.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

catfish hunter wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and say the :phila: seems like source material for Weiss blog.
I doubt that, although I do write for his site once in a great while and occasionally point him toward good new stuff. Jeff is very good at finding stuff on his own, and he's got tons of connections to point him to things and give him previews and all that. In this case, SMT's videos were up on mishka and then steadyb before this thread existed, one of those is a much more likely the source of the origin.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

ardamus wrote: Best song is "Never Give A Fukk" so far.
i like the whole "let's attempt a verse" two times, then just blam hits with a hard beat and roll with a repetitive hook for a track.
i think he rhymes 5 bars in "razor boomslangin" and then just stops. the unusual song structures really make it interesting.

like catfish said, the dancehall intermission on the first tape is the worst track. i think the busta rhymes sampling track on the second tape is my
least favorite, just out of having heard dangerous too many times prior.

the comment on that interview page had me laughing.
"ken p says:
August 23, 2013 at 7:55 am (UTC -7)
DEFINITELY a white guy from the suburbs"

oh, and guess what a razor boomslang is.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

drizzle wrote:
catfish hunter wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and say the :phila: seems like source material for Weiss blog.
I doubt that, although I do write for his site once in a great while and occasionally point him toward good new stuff. Jeff is very good at finding stuff on his own, and he's got tons of connections to point him to things and give him previews and all that. In this case, SMT's videos were up on mishka and then steadyb before this thread existed, one of those is a much more likely the source of the origin.
you def know more about that than I do. I've known about his blog for quite a few years but never really checked it until this year. I think it was the Wu Tang W in the logo over there had me thinking it was on some other shit. Weird that one of the writers over there is named B. Michael Payne. That's the name of one of my best friends and he does political blogging but it's a rap head. I had to ask my boy what mode he had been on and he was like "nah"

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

i think the busta rhymes sampling track on the second tape is my
least favorite, just out of having heard dangerous too many times prior.
Really? That was one of my favorite moments of it actually. At first I didn't recognize what it was because it was slowed down, then a few bars in it hit me and just brought the biggest smile to my face. Not just the fact that he sampled/used that, how he worked it into the song and totally owned it. Turning the intro pharcyde into something like a spiritual was another similar moment of fistpump. That kind off the wall, grab whatever you can and make a wild collage that sums up to something bigger than just the individual parts approach is one of the biggest reasons I really love this tape.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

does anyone know if he sampled or interpolated the bassline on "never leave my crib"? Shot sounds mad familiar but I can't call the record. speaking of records, I'm hoping this gets a vinyl release.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

dunno, but here is the intro.

platoon in the crates.

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

drizzle wrote:that interview isn't very good

there's an obvious disconnect between SMT who doesn't drop kayfaybe and continues to answer with schtick, and the interviewer who for some dumb reason keeps asking his generic-ass stock questions like the kid is not trolling him
Thought the same. Went back and saw it was an e-mail interview. I doubt it'd be piecemeal, prolly just had a list of questions in an initial e-mail. Also, the writer in the intro seems pretty unimpressed just by the tone, something like "I had an interview over e-mail. This is what came of it."

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

sleazy_j wrote:i'm pretty sure i've figured out his identity :ohsh:

i'm keeping it under wraps. catfish can vouch for my findings.
I saw this claim on another forum:
i already know who he is, but i won't expose that because i'm more interested in him continuing to make music than anything else. he's actually a talented rapper and producer, it's just that he sounds like everyone else, so this gimmick is working for him now. oh, and he's not american. i like his use of odd song structures.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Not American = not caring. On repeat listens this shit loses. Clearly an ape of our man lil ugly mane. I'm torn. Beats are solid. Gimmicky

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^Really? I think this new tape has a ton of replay value. My beef with his earlier shit was that he didn't rap enough and, with this album, he actually does his thing. I also think Lil' ugly mane is pretty forgettable though so, hey, who knows...

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

except for the fact that Ugly Mane occasionally blacks out on tracks (usually acapella) and you realize dude can rap like a motherfucker. If people feel it necessary to lump him in with "tumblr" rap then it must be noted he's the cream of the crop. Excellent producer, conceptual, and pretty fucking nasty on the mic whether he's channeling 8Ball or some random T.R.O.Y b-side. /rant

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

i think block has probably invested more attempts in listening to SMT than he has in LUM.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

I was really drunk when I posted that. I still like this a lot

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

sleazy_j wrote:i think block has probably invested more attempts in listening to SMT than he has in LUM.
This is valid. But I've never heard anything by LUM that made me want to invest more time. I'm certainly open to suggestions cause he's one of those rappers people, who's opinion i generally respect, enjoy.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Blockhead wrote:
sleazy_j wrote:i think block has probably invested more attempts in listening to SMT than he has in LUM.
This is valid. But I've never heard anything by LUM that made me want to invest more time. I'm certainly open to suggestions cause he's one of those rappers people, who's opinion i generally respect, enjoy.

definitely not the best example overall but shows that he isn't just doing Hypnotize Mindz karaoke. Block, I think alot of people maybe assume Ugly Mane is just an extension of last years Raider Klan but he's all over the place. These "final" tapes he released show that he dabbles in everything from Donuts era Dilla beatscapes to traditional Black Metal. It's fair to say he's 90s renaissance man with the music.

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

This is old, but it's never been posted.

Kai Sky Walker - In The Zone feat. Dat Nigga Nug & Spark Master Tape

https://soundcloud.com/kai-sky-walker/kai-sky-walker-in-the-zone

Was it confirmed that Kai is in fact Spark?