Unpopular Rap Opinions

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

reevolution

Post by reevolution »

D. James wrote:Killah Priest and Shabazz the Disciple are the best rappers out of Wu-Tang.
LOL. No.
GURU is top 20 all-time.
LOL. No.
Eminem has never made a dope album.
LOL. No.
Vaudeville Villain is the best thing MF Doom has ever done.
LOL. No.
Chuck D is currently > Lil Wayne, T.I., 50 Cent, Kanye West, etc.
LOL. No.
Trent Reznor > any hip hop producer not named D

jazztomovethatass

Post by jazztomovethatass »

DLG wrote:
jazztomovethatass wrote:Nas' choice of beats since it was written has sucked gaga-dick.
pretty unpopular stance there, way to go out on a limb.
hate me now..

reevolution

Post by reevolution »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote: Not many rappers have written a song better than The Other Day by Paul Wall.
QFT

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

^ that track is so genuine and uplifting. puts me in a really good and motivated mood

i dont walk around like my dog just died
couldnt get rid of my smile even if i tried :goldgrill:
rooski wrote:Too Hard to Swallow, Super Tight and Ridin Dirty are top 10 all time

Rap Life is the best album from any of the Likwit Crew

The Roots' best album is Organix
None of these sit very well with me.... but Rap Life better than 21 & Over, etc?
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

odium-LSC wrote:
pradadon wrote:
vaporized wrote:styles p - 'the ghost sessions' is one of the 10 best albums released since 2000

pradadon wrote:
A Tribe Called Quest is the best hip hop group of all time
woah, steady. I bet the whole room goes silent when you decide to draw for that one, eh. shock post methinks...
I really do believe that.

Their first 3 albums are 5 mics to me and their 4th album is a strong 4 mics. " The Love Moment" was not as good, but I am also taking into account their 12"'s, which feature tremendous remixes and in some cases dope B-sides or supplemental joints.

And when I say 5 mics, I am talking about the real ratings, from back when mics actually meant something. People who love Tribe tend to be a little over the top with their love, and the haters tend to be a little over saturated with hate to be taken seriously.

As always, I challenge you to tell me a better group. I am not saying that you are, but a lot of the hate seems to come from people who were not around when Tribe actually dropped, rather from kids who listen to them in retrospect.

Same goes for the whole " Guru is boring" argument. If you were around in 90 and 91, 92,93,94 etc; you would never say Guru was boring or Gangstarr is wack. It is east for clowns to say that when they started listening in 2001 or some shit.. And on the real, even tho they front, most dudes on the net did start listening to them then. I do not know anyone who was coming up in the late 80's and early 90's like myself who says Gangstarr is wack. That is crazy talk. A lot of young, clueless dudes on the net. Not saying you cause I do not know you, just saying in general.
:rofl: how could you possibly think that that might be an unpopular opinion?
Well, this kid does not agree with me, and a few others in this thread have said that De La > Tribe. Also, I hear on a regular basis how Tribe is overrated.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Oh it's the same folks complaining about M2C, yet still posting in it after all these years. Cry about it. Post about it. Do something about it.

Aren't all petty arguments/threads in M2C circular and repetitive?
you're way too sensitive about this.
You win, I'll give you the last word. Just answer me this, what exactly do you tell your girlfriend every time that iPhone receives an email letting you know a new post has been added to this thread?

Do you say, but baby this will take just two minutes?

Thread isn't about you, fag.
You're like a pull-string doll these days. 3 options, let's see which one we'll get, shall we?

"Thread ain'tt about you, fag?"
"Mods?"
"Joe Budden is wack"

Let's be honest you are so far removed from hip-hop the fact you're in a modern hip-hop discussion forum is simply because you're peep freak. And we know Money Gripp hasn't listened to hip-hop since Paul's Boutique as he's openly admitted to hating and not following it. JBL retired when Black Rob got locked up so really why are you in this forum again? Should we have another is Zack De La Rocha thread? Go ahead, come back with a one liner zing but you know its true.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

On topic:

The escalation of the whole Budden vs. Rae thing from last night is nothing to be applauded.

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

Thun wrote:On the real though, the mods should lock this thread.
:naswtf:

This might sound blasphemous, but J Dilla killed Tribe Called Quest. Only after he joined in with production did Quest's beats sound horrible.

J Dilla = MAAAAAAAAAAD overrated.

On the other hand, Shock G = MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD Underrated

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

cenzi wrote:This might sound blasphemous, but J Dilla killed Tribe Called Quest. Only after he joined in with production did Quest's beats sound horrible.

J Dilla = MAAAAAAAAAAD overrated.

On the other hand, Shock G = MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD Underrated
maybe a little overstated.. but definitely on point
shock g's last indie solo was insanely slept on

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

The Frankest wrote:
Kanye West - 808's & Heartbreak is a really, REALLY good album front to back.

There are times when I think to myself: 00s > 90s
The Frankest wrote:most recent. t-shirt is flamboyant entertainment, PEACE

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Oh it's the same folks complaining about M2C, yet still posting in it after all these years. Cry about it. Post about it. Do something about it.

Aren't all petty arguments/threads in M2C circular and repetitive?
you're way too sensitive about this.
so are you, with your bitch ass crying to the mods every third post. dozens of people are having a conversation that you are not contributing to. get the fuck out of here and stop asking for threads to get locked, you fucking goofy ass Roger Rabbit. :cookiecookie: you are so fucking petty, whiny and childish.

even if i was a fucking tranny, i'm ten times the god damn man online and offline that you are, you fucking simpleton suckerfied plexiglass pseudo-intellectual petulant brat. contribute some of that evil brainiac hip hop genius to the conversation, why don'tcha? stop being greedy. i thought you were the voice of reason? no :reason:

semi-crazy thoughts and rantings of YOTMB :ff:

Brand Nubian will never attain half the impact they used to have, but it's crucial they, as well as EPMD and Public Enemy, continue putting out music for the next 5 to 10 years.

Tash from the Liks gets slept on ridiculously, relative to his potential, and has superstar "swagger" (HA HA! i will never do that again.) but his stars never completely aligned. Will they every? sheeeit. i wish Pharrell would.

The Game will implode with this fourth album, the RED Album. It's going to be beautiful. They say when 50 leaves Interscope, Jimmy is gonna make Game the star of the label. That's what we call The Bill Duke

Drake will soften up his style even more and will get hated on hard by many, but will also surprise a lot of others when his Kanye/Pharrell/Justin Timberlake stuff drops, and will sell a shitload of records. And he's gonna murder someone on their own shit embarrassingly. maybe :jayz:

Kanye West will jump the shark with his next project, while riding a neon pink TRON lightcycle. There will be 2 truly amazing "We Major" level beats on the soundtrack to his trip into Insanityland.

Lupe Fiasco is about to have his Common/Electric Circus moment.

Eminem will mostly redeem himself from the schizophrenic vocalism of Relapse with Relapse 2, but will still show signs of uncertainty. Otherwise, I expect Marshall to take an even darker, doper (sorry) turn down the drug concept, and make one of the illest records of the last 5 years. It's gonna be bi-polar, either amazing or awful.

Detox will come in November/December. It almost CAN'T equal it's expectations. Dr. Dre will need to reinvent the fucking game again for it to work. The CD will need to project holographic videos along with the music, and Dre will fuck up the West Coast like never before with his impossible final decisions. People will start talking if/when it underperforms. And overperforms. Dre will go crazy. And then retire.

50 Cent will finally and fully implode himself and G-Unit with Before I Self-Destruct because he is lost and alone at the top.

rap is outta control

:cheers:
The Afronaut wrote:On topic:

The escalation of the whole Budden vs. Rae thing from last night is nothing to be applauded.
completely co-signed.

let's pray it stops right now. peace.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
even if i was a fucking tranny
This is like the worst qualifier ever.

Solo45

Post by Solo45 »

I've never felt the need to listen to any album by The Game.

Willie $krilla

Post by Willie $krilla »

The Jacka is the best rapper in the game right now
The Mob Figaz are the best camp in the game right now

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

Employee wrote:oh HI! my name is Employee and I don't like Kanye West = Image

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Gloss, i'd agree that you do seem more a little sensitive about this. Just face these 3 facts :

1. Hittin' up Steady Bloggin' to procure new tracks accompanied by informative but concise write-ups and a comment section where the author is called a fag has managed to condense all that was good about the M2C experience into a solitary post which now makes the time-consuming process of manoeuvring through the rancid waters of M2C dodging worthless opinions an unneccessary task when visiting this site.

2. Where M2C was once the best forum on the 'net, to keep up with and discuss all modern rap minutiae without having to suffer the sort of peasants who frequent sites like UGHH, Allhiphop etc, it now seems to be heaving with them and the majority of the threads i've read here since returning read like glorified Youtube comment sections.

3. The loss of key posters who helped define this forum hasn't helped. Blastmaster saves his best material for Steady Bloggin', posts by a self-pwning idiot savant like Ithithkle which provided M2C with unintentional humor (always the best kind) are now thinner than the hair in Will High's pathetic pubic scrag of a goatee, invaluable niche info' and uploads barely found elsewhere on the 'net via Rey are now nonexistant since he seems to have rode off into the sunset and, as i said before, Mindbender's meltdowns now only vacation in M2C, preferring to reside mostly in P&B.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:Gloss, i'd agree that you do seem more a little sensitive about this. Just face these 3 facts :

1. Hittin' up Steady Bloggin' to procure new tracks accompanied by informative but concise write-ups and a comment section where the author is called a fag has managed to condense all that was good about the M2C experience into a solitary post which now makes the time-consuming process of manoeuvring through the rancid waters of M2C dodging worthless opinions an unneccessary task when visiting this site.

2. Where M2C was once the best forum on the 'net, to keep up with and discuss all modern rap minutiae without having to suffer the sort of peasants who frequent sites like UGHH, Allhiphop etc, it now seems to be heaving with them and the majority of the threads i've read here since returning read like glorified Youtube comment sections.

3. The loss of key posters who helped define this forum hasn't helped. Blastmaster saves his best material for Steady Bloggin', posts by a self-pwning idiot savant like Ithithkle which provided M2C with unintentional humor (always the best kind) are now thinner than the hair in Will High's pathetic pubic scrag of a goatee, invaluable niche info' and uploads barely found elsewhere on the 'net via Rey are now nonexistant since he seems to have rode off into the sunset and, as i said before, Mindbender's meltdowns now only vacation in M2C, preferring to reside mostly in P&B.
Key facts.

1. It's 2009. Things change. We grow, get older, lose patience, lose interest.

2. It's 2009, music is not what it once was. There aren't as many K-Rino related threads or OMG Mase is making a comeback threads because that is a thing of the past.

3. Until good music is made we will always have these lulls, always.

4. Steady Bloggin was reformed to complete the cipher. Philaflava is now the one-stop shop for all kinds of hip-hop both on the forum and now blogs.

5. I'm only sensitive as one would be if they were a site owner and have invested thousands of dollars, time and energy in these projects.

6. You missed about a year, but in that time Thun has made the same statements about 40 times, followed up by a Money Gripp co-sign. It's just redundant. Thun being Thun.

Yeah, but Roger and Gripp have been doing that forever. It still didn't change that Blastmaster killed shit providing new tracks daily, that M2C was a stage for a few mentally ill basketcases to dance and jump through hoops for our amusement, that the board would attract attention 'net wide in awe of the knowledge and uploads dropped the same way T.R.O.Y does (threads like the Agermen one and the Mob Figaz ones were legendary) and that this board had a clientele which was the cream of the crop from various other boards who'd migrated here.

CYE suffers none of these problems and I'm not buyin' that there's a lack of good music around currently or music from the last decade which falls into the M2C criteria worth discussing or discovering.

The problem here is that the majority of the regular posters in M2C now are amoebas, that a top tier faggot like HustleCrowe hasn't quite stepped into the hefty shoes left behind by Ithithkle since years of ridicule have left him cowed and hidin' out in CYE (though i'm sure a thread about HustleCrowe's dead friend Ken who got shot up outside his babymomma's house by the 17 year old Ponyboy whigga who was banging her could extract an explosion out of him), and that the instant gratification of the blog game has a rendered all discuss-the-latest-rap-here! forums secondary concerns.

LORDWILLIN

looking for Guitarists!
Hip Hop / Experimental / Hardcore

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

If El-P was brolic and apart of La Coka Nostra he'd look just like that.

DLG

Post by DLG »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:
LORDWILLIN

looking for Guitarists!
Hip Hop / Experimental / Hardcore

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

hustle just downloaded the judgement night soundtrack for the first time or is looking to get in on some of that crossover cage money.

Philaflava wrote:If El-P was fatter, shopped at the providence TJ Maxx and looked to ECW wrestlers as his main style influence he'd look just like that..

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

DLG wrote:
hustle just downloaded the judgement night soundtrack for the first time
:rofl:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:
Philaflava wrote:If El-P was fatter, shopped at the providence TJ Maxx and looked to ECW wrestlers as his main style influence he'd look just like that..

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

that's wrong :rofl:

starks

Post by starks »

vaporized wrote:
Earleybird wrote:
It Was Written is better than Illmatic.
pfff...don't do that. in a way that's even more of a fail than the guy who said vinrock was better than treach.

retain some dignity ftw
pretty common opinion

dirtee

Post by dirtee »

starks wrote:
vaporized wrote:
Earleybird wrote:
It Was Written is better than Illmatic.
pfff...don't do that. in a way that's even more of a fail than the guy who said vinrock was better than treach.

retain some dignity ftw
pretty common opinion
:pause:

lj

Post by lj »

- on topic: "no homo" is making everything a lot gayer than it used to be.
http://www.slate.com/id/2224348/

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

"The term's appearance in hip-hop coincided with the rise of the so-called "down-low brother," a closeted black figure often demonized as a disease-spreading boogeyman, invisible by definition and thus potentially, frightfully, everywhere. Saying "no homo" might have started as a way for rappers to acknowledge and distance themselves from the down-low phenomenon. As the phrase has spread, many have decried no homo as depressingly retrograde, a pigheaded "That's what she said" for homophobes. But the term functions in a more complicated way than a simple slur. As society becomes increasingly gay-tolerant, hip-hop is reassessing its relationship to homosexuality and, albeit in a hedged and roundabout way, it's possible that no homo is helping to make hip-hop a gayer place."

LOL
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

"Life We Chose" off Nastradamus is a top 10 Nas track.