Jay Electronica - Exhibit C (produced by Just Blaze)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Thun wrote:Do any of the whiny rappers have a single verse, anywhere, that isn't "lyrical miracle spiritual scientifical mystical mythical" or "I got more rhymes than fill-in-the-blank has specific quantities of something or other"? Even one song that departs from those formulas?
Do you have one better than the whiny rappers you're talking about?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

PackFM wrote:but yall don't listen to my shit other than the 5 packfm songs gloss has on his zune,, so I could be lying
iPod. You're all wet though. Jay had dope beats before Blaze. He wrecked shit on Porter and Dilla beats. I'm just having a hard time believing this isn't like your Doom hate, where you actually dissed him in one of your Rap-Up tracks and then reversed it so peeps wouldn't catch feelings.

And I GET why people don't like Doom. He is an acquired taste for many but to not see the talent Jay has shown on just a handful of tracks is crazy.

He really is the complete package. No :arrow:

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

starks wrote:
ackbar wrote:part of me feels like 200 people are making this same song (especially the beat) worldwide
?
i think just blaze is dope & never stopped.. beat just didn't stand out to me against all the myspace/youtube producers rocking a similar steez

JE has skill & is good at rapping.. i'll leave it at that

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

How the fuck is a scorned Canadian wannabe-rapper like Mindbender who once rhymed Breasticles with Testicles and posted up a song which included the punchline I'm A Bad Mothafucker Like Michael Jackson's Dad going to criticize any other rapper's rhymes?

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

the rise of drake and his fans makes me want to hate, quit, and stop listening to rap

jay electronica brings me back to reality
Nets 2022

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Reason wrote:the rise of drake and his fans makes me want to hate, quit, and stop listening to rap

jay electronica brings me back to reality
:lol:

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Alternate trailer for Dear Moleskine

<object width="400" height="225"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... llscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... llscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="225"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/8317732">Dear Moleskine (Alternate Video)</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user498058">2dopeboyz.com</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Monotonous

Post by Monotonous »

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

voice and cadence.
he could rhyme itsy bitsy spider and make the shit sound epic.
his lyrics arent anything to write home about.

an-also

Post by an-also »

good shit.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Willie B wrote: his lyrics arent anything to write home about.

Does good storytelling also count for nothing as we venture into 2010?

hired gun

Post by hired gun »

Employee wrote:
Willie B wrote: his lyrics arent anything to write home about.

Does good storytelling also count for nothing as we venture into 2010?
Probably the biggest intangible and most subjective facet of this artform. We dont love Nas or Jay, or Biggie, or Tupac because their spirited multi's, ridiculous wordplay etc., as much as we love them for their story, whether autobiographical, fictional, or otherwise. Its why Wayne and Gucci Mane get a proverbial pass skill-wise. They've been able to get people to connect to their story. The toughest thing for artist to personally critique is how to craft their story to make it universal. Most artists are much to self aware actually to do this effectively or consistently. Whether creating a character, or if you are naturally one...whether you can really get past the "look at me and how dope, rich, sexy, etc. I am compared to you" and frame that in a broader context, that will determine in part your greatness (along with amazing production, yes technical skills, and luck of timing as to where everything is at within the music, culturally, and from a biz standpoint).

Some people make it so they can tell their story walking. Some make you stop what you're doing to sit down and listen. We can argue back and forth the merits of Jay E's skills, and I think he has them definitely (I've rewound exhibit C a few times the past several days) though I dont think he is the second coming,the fact is....his story and how he's telling it is compelling enough to make people listen......and that matters more then anything else

Asking 99 percent of hip hop artists to assess that is like asking a diagnosed Schizophrenic to properly assess their own mental health.
HIRED GUN-Straight Organics
http://www.freshrootsmusic.com

starks

Post by starks »

PackFM wrote: I'd give jay elec a -c because he is a bad performer and he has chosen some really bad beats before just blaze

a D is passing, so I'm not saying he's wack
<object width="500" height="350"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... llscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... llscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="500" height="350"></embed></object>

you dudes are digging yourselves deeper and deeper

no homo/real talk

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

starks wrote:
PackFM wrote: I'd give jay elec a -c because he is a bad performer and he has chosen some really bad beats before just blaze

<object width="500" height="350"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... llscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... llscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="500" height="350"></embed></object>

no homo/real talk
he did an adequate job.
wouldnt call him a bad performer, but he definitely didnt shut shit down.
its not like he put on a show that would make you think he "ripped it"
c+ for live performance.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Willie B wrote:
starks wrote:

no homo/real talk
he did an adequate job.
wouldnt call him a bad performer, but he definitely didnt shut shit down.
its not like he put on a show that would make you think he "ripped it"
c+ for live performance.
what exactly are you expecting from a rap performance? dancing? fireworks? he spits his shit well ,seemingly connects with the crowd and he's confidant ( :pause:?). outside of jurassic 5 routines and crowd chants (which are corny nowadays anyway) what are you looking for in a live rap show? if you're a fan of his music, his show is dope. if not, it's meh. i mean, don't get me wrong, the dude isn't on some meth and redman shit live but he's pretty solid.

PackFM

Post by PackFM »

Blockhead wrote: what exactly are you expecting from a rap performance?
one that I don't have to make excuses for
I F*CKING HATE RAPPERS
MAY 25, 2010
http://www.ifuckinghaterappers.com

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

im a fan. ive listen to exhibit c at least 10 times a day during my 2.25hr total commute to/fro work.
if i was in the crowd, it would have been a cool performance
but it just lacks a certain amount of pizzazz and showmanship that obviously isnt him or fit his personality, i guess.
he spit his rhymes on beat and didnt fuck up.
bravo.
theres was absolutely no energy in his performance.
color me simon, but he gets a c+ for that shit.
he does get points for not yelling into a microphone, which is one thing i NEVER understood. so i might bump it up to a b-.

that performance epitomizes headphone music for dudes who just want to stand there and stare while bobbing their head.

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

I cant remember the last time I was excited about a new rapper putting an album out. Back in the day, before you could get whatever you wanted on the internet,Tuesdays used to be my favorite day of the week. Jay Electronica almost gets me as excited as I used to be on Monday nights, and how I felt during the day at school waiting for that shit to be done with so I could go cop the new album. I havent felt like this in years, just that aspect alone is refreshing. To hear a new artist that somehow managed to make it through the heaps of mediocre and sup bar music being made these days. It used to be that you were excited for a number of new and older artists to put something fresh out, now its nice to just get something great every once in a while. Its that psychological effect that scarcity has on people, you probably wont find another rapper like Jay Electronica anytime soon.

To all the other rappers, no offense, Ive heard your music, and none of it got me feeling the way I do about a Jay Electronica album coming out. Not implying youre all jealous or whatever other people are suggesting, just my thoughts on it all.

Also, its pretty apparent that dude is about quality over quantity. If you are involved in any form of creativity, you can tell when the artist puts their heart into it, whether it be a song or an essay you have to write for class, its always obvious. Its very obvious with Jay.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

PackFM wrote:
Blockhead wrote: what exactly are you expecting from a rap performance?
one that I don't have to make excuses for
who's making excuses? granted, i'm jaded as fuck and , at this point in my life, i'm generally bored watching hip hop live, but he's seems just fine to me.
sure, he's not rocking shit like KRS at SOB's but who is? i've never been a fan of bells and whistles. just get on stage, engage the crowd and rap well. he seems like he does that.
what willie b said is true though, he's headphone music. his show is not gonna be crowd participation and chants. it's just him rapping. he's a dope rapper. if you like watching dope rappers rap live, then his show is fine. if you want more than that, you're obviously at the wrong show. but i would assume any fan of his music would recognize that before ever buying a ticket for one of his shows.

PackFM

Post by PackFM »

so because ur bored with hiphop shows, u find it entertaining to watch boring hiphop shows?

I guess that makes sense

but I've seen rappers sit down on a chair while rhyming and be more engaging than this guy. its not about doing backflips homie.
I F*CKING HATE RAPPERS
MAY 25, 2010

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

PackFM wrote:so because ur bored with hiphop shows, u find it entertaining to watch boring hiphop shows?

I guess that makes sense

but I've seen rappers sit down on a chair while rhyming and be more engaging than this guy. its not about doing backflips homie.
nah, it's not that. i'm just curious what you're looking for in a live hip hop show from a rapper who's primarily lyrical (i know, corny, i just couldn't think of any other way to put it)?
i also realize, you're not a fan of this dude so it's not like you'd wanna see his show anyway. i can't hate on that but you gotta realize that plays a part. being a fan of the music you're hearing live is a kinda crucial.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

it's safe to say a lot of rappers suck at performing live.
a great skill to have.. but it doesn't really influence my opinion of an artist (rap or other) in a major way

i'm much more likely to be impressed by a mediocre artist with a great concert than i would be disappointed by a great artist with a mediocre performance

DLG

Post by DLG »

PackFM wrote:so because ur bored with hiphop shows, u find it entertaining to watch boring hiphop shows?

I guess that makes sense

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qkf1prFzuDw&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qkf1prFzuDw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:arrow:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

PackFM wrote: its not about doing backflips homie.
If you don't give a shit about your audience it isn't. But his content alone is one monumental fucking backflip. Dude hits home across the board. Metaphors. Similies. Vivid imagery. All that ill shit Wu constantly referenced in their heyday. He doesn't cut any corners and so mother fucker are intimidated by what is a seemingly superior approach to the art of the written rhyme as a visual book the listener can not only see, but dive into.

While he could be tackling trite subjects like non-existent, ubiquitous rappers who haunt him during his lunch break, he's saying things that force you to look at yourself differently. Not this fast food, punchline-prone, papsmear pop music cloaked in the colors of a DIY ethic so lame even Hannah Montanna writes more maturely. It's rap where a tagline isn't the order of the day. It's rap that refuses to tolerate slogan-whoring for even a second. It's rap that mother fuckers write-off because they don't want to admit to themselves that there are dudes out there in the shadows ready to steady eliminate your ass with style honed to perfection during years of remaining silent and watching everyone else make themselves out to be court jesters.

That's why people latch on to Jay Electronica's narrative: In the abstract, it's everything other rappers aren't, but it's everything that the listener can absorb.

PackFM

Post by PackFM »

I go to a lot of shows
and a lot of times there's rappers who's music I don't really like, but they put on dope sets and I will give them props for that.

I am not really a fan of mr. lif, but he's a really good performer

jean grae doesn't jump up and down, but she's a good performer

I literally saw a cat perform a song while sitting down in a chair tonight.
yet he did it with so much personality. it was one of the evenings highlights.

I don't hate jay electronica. I said the dude is aight like 5 times already. I'm just calling it how I see it.

I even listened to like 4 more songs last night at someones crib. just wasn't impressed. that's ME tho. has nothing to do with me being a rapper. it has to do with the kind of rap music I enjoy.

and to ME when u say things like "man ur tripping just because he's not [insert good qualities in an mc] doesn't mean he's not ill, I mean sure he's [insert bad qualities of an mc], but u gotta look past that" sounds like ur making excuses
I F*CKING HATE RAPPERS
MAY 25, 2010

PackFM

Post by PackFM »

Employee is 10 times the writer jay electronica is.
I F*CKING HATE RAPPERS
MAY 25, 2010

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

mr. lif is definitely a great live performer. i'm a fan of i phantom tho..

i fall somewhere in between pack & the others on jay. i think he's skilled.. but haven't heard anything he's done that's really grabbed me. does he have any "weird shit" that people can upload?

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

ackbar wrote:does he have any "weird shit" that people can upload?
Watch the Conspiracy-esque vid earlier in the thread.

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

Employee wrote: If you don't give a shit about your audience it isn't. But his content alone is one monumental fucking backflip. Dude hits home across the board. Metaphors. Similies. Vivid imagery. All that ill shit Wu constantly referenced in their heyday. He doesn't cut any corners and so mother fucker are intimidated by what is a seemingly superior approach to the art of the written rhyme as a visual book the listener can not only see, but dive into.

While he could be tackling trite subjects like non-existent, ubiquitous rappers who haunt him during his lunch break, he's saying things that force you to look at yourself differently. Not this fast food, punchline-prone, papsmear pop music cloaked in the colors of a DIY ethic so lame even Hannah Montanna writes more maturely. It's rap where a tagline isn't the order of the day. It's rap that refuses to tolerate slogan-whoring for even a second. It's rap that mother fuckers write-off because they don't want to admit to themselves that there are dudes out there in the shadows ready to steady eliminate your ass with style honed to perfection during years of remaining silent and watching everyone else make themselves out to be court jesters.

That's why people latch on to Jay Electronica's narrative: In the abstract, it's everything other rappers aren't, but it's everything that the listener can absorb.
I'm gonna take me totally out of the equation here and talk about a rapper from New York called Subconscious or Subcon.

This is Subcon:

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/sh ... on=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"><param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=9884302-2cb" /><embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=9884302-2cb" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashpl ... d></object>

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/sh ... on=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"><param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=9884772-10b" /><embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=9884772-10b" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashpl ... d></object>

Like many of the emcees of the generation I represent Sub Con's raps are full of multi-layered similes, metaphors, incredible imagery and what have you. Subcon (as I'm sure Blockhead and Thun can attest) is an ILL live performer. He controls the crowd. He doesn't do call and response but he captures you and you listen to every word and he has incredible presence.

This is what I'm used to.

In comparison Jay Electronica is the guy that asks for the acapella at the open mic and then says "this is my first time onstage" and then spits his verse and you're like "when's Rise coming on?"
Last edited by iCONtheMicKing on Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

multsanta

Post by multsanta »

life is like a dice game
one roll could land you in jail
or cutting cake
blowing kisses in the rice rain
nice whip, nice chain
the closet is skulls
the stench is like slave blood
in providence hall
they built my city on top of a grave
nigga die, niggas get high
and watch the parade
can't really think of a better written string of words from the past few years.

vs
THRESHOLDS OF ENLIGHTENMENT MANIFEST INTO FRIGHTENING ISSUES IN YO DEEPER BRAIN TISSUES
:larry:
Last edited by multsanta on Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.