When it is time to call it quits?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

ILL SEER

Post by ILL SEER »

wow, can't believe i just read all that, but it was a good (th)read

some worthwhile points:

- thinking your going to blowup and live off of rap for life is not realistic for most rappers
- unless you're making over $2000 a week you should have some other form of income now
- life experience counts for something
- Jay Elect shows an exception to the rule
- people will keep doing what they love
- you can learn things in the rap game that can help when you retire
- many people won't ever give up rapping cuz they love it even though they won't be making a living from it

but going deeper, although he was on point a lot in this thread, like usual, the following quote seemed to come out of some deep personal anger or something:
Thun wrote:
1. To all rappers not named Rakim, Biggie, 2Pac, Chuck D, Eminem, Nas, or Jay-Z: YOUR ART IS NOT ETERNAL DESPITE YOUR BELIEF TO THE CONTRARY. Nobody, and I mean nobody - not a college professor, not an aging fan, not a tween, not a historian, not alien picking up terrestrial radio waves in his intergalactic space-jeep will give a fuck about your music. That goes for everyone here from Slug on down to Stoop Kid. Yeah, you might see your name pop up on some Last.Fm favorites list and you may even be invited to perform Scribble Jam revival show in Iceland in 2020 at your own expense, but your music will not live on as art - nobody will look to your music as being influential, innovative, or profound. If you believe otherwise, you're exactly the semi-literate idiot we've always believed you to be. Any enduring theme or substantive quip that can be attributed to rap music can be found in the works of the aforementioned seven rappers - you're culturally disposable.

Thus, any claim that putting in years of effort into da game bears some kind of transcendental reward in the future is bullshit -

maddoggy, just because a musician doesn't have millions of fans doesn't mean "nobody will look to your music as being influential, innovative, or profound" ... it doesn't mean we're "culturally disposable" ... these are real people affecting real people's lives and though it seems to piss you off for some reason, these rappers have good ground for thinking they're making some kind of difference to some people ... every little fan you look down on that likes an indie rapper is a person and thus a cultural entity, so they do make a difference ... and who knows what will come of all these works and words put in ... certainly not you.

this is another thing ... people acting like you have to either blow up or rapping isn't worth it ... sure i don't get to make tracks like id like to for the time being, but im using rapping as part of my day jobs since they are all about communication ... what ive learned from rapping is even part of my phd work on an ancient medeival monk ... so rapping is more than just the music industry ... it is philosophy and poetry just like all sentences ever uttered and it will compete in the threads of memes in untold ways

no one knows the future ... so to tell people following their hearts and pouring out their hearts, and trying to find and speak the truth, that there is no transcendental reward is just fallaciously begging the question

that's coming from one college professor whose cared about and quoted indie rappers to kids who never heard of them but had their thinking engaged and often changed in some way

[prepares for the Wrath of Thun]

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

i think its time to call it quits if youve been doing music/your dream for awhile(edit: 3+ years) and niggas laugh when your shit comes on and your name isnt weird al yankovic or dick cheese. if niggas laugh when they hear you rap, you shouldnt be rapping.

straight up.

i been doin music as a hobby for ten years plus at this point. never released any of it cos i dont have that 'niggas need to hear what im saying' rapper mentality(cuz i aint saying shit). i pass the shit off to my friends when its done and thats it. ive made it into some of my homies top 5 rap nigga lists. im good with that. i come out annually for gloss' posse cuts no homo, but thats about it.

i am successful in my goal of not sucking at rap. i wont quit rapping until i teach my son/daugher how to rap and force them into a hopefully fruitful career where i can then manage them and pilfer their money to retire early whilst getting some free dome on the side. from hoes. not my future kids. ew yall

:thebest:

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

this thread is outstanding btw. its real dope to get a glimpse into niggas mindsets and shit
all in all, dont give up on your dream, unless youre garbage.

then, just man up and face it, and get a new dream. cuz if you continue down the road with your initial dream, and you suck, you gonna hinder someone else's dream.

get your slow ass out the fast lane when you see niggas flashin high beams yo

EDIT:

dr ill seer (did you say you were doing a doctorate?)

yo my bad yall, im killin these bottles of smirnoff in my freezer i tend to get chatty, ima take it to chatzy

Renessis

Post by Renessis »

Thun's outlined quotes could hypothetically be directed to lets say....Skull Snaps.
1986 who knew bout Skull Snaps?
Three years later, they're ubiquitous.

EndsAll

Post by EndsAll »

Quit when you want, no one else's choice except yours....

Yo! What happened to free think? PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

ILL SEER wrote: - unless you're making over $2000 a week you should have some other form of income now
Is this really that necessary? Beside the Oil moguls in here, does everyone make 8 grand a month?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

cenzi wrote:
ILL SEER wrote: - unless you're making over $2000 a week you should have some other form of income now
Is this really that necessary? Beside the Oil moguls in here, does everyone make 8 grand a month?
He is speaking in Canadian dollars.

ILL SEER

Post by ILL SEER »

cenzi wrote:
ya ur right, it was a quote in the thread i liked but its probably overkill, something to shoot for at least, maybe let's say a grand ...

the point is that if ur an indie rapper and you're not pulling in a regular wage off of it, you should have enough time to be working a side job to help supplement your income. like someone said, your job isn't 'being a rapper' until it is actually paying your bills, and building your savings or realestate or investments.

when ur early twenty-somethings sure it doesn't matter too much, and the life experience itself is invaluable, but if u start thinking properly early ull be in a better position to not get heart-broken and quit rapping altogether because you didn't get rich off of it like imagined. a lot of the bigger indie rappers that posted here showed the wisdom in that.

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

Philaflava wrote:
cenzi wrote:

that didnt even make sense. That would be ballin if it were Canadian...[/img]

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

All I gotta say, is that the biggest most valid point here for me is the one, I think gloss said it, about the fact that it's a Life Experience that isn't just thrown away after it's all said and done.

You gotta know how to use the experience to your benefit and find another line of work that you actually like even more than rapping. Lot's of ex-rappers are now managers, show promoters, sound engineers, etc... stuff that they might have discovered while "wasting" years rapping and putting out music.

But, putting out record after record with nothing to show for it, either physically, emotionally, mentally or spiritually is retarded.

ILL SEER

Post by ILL SEER »

Piff Tannen wrote:dr ill seer (did you say you were doing a doctorate?)
actually im away from the fam right now hiding out in a basement trying to finish my thesis up right now (its been way too long coming but real life knocked the student out of me) ... but now i seem to have returned to my philacrackhabit hard and i gotta get back to it

Philaflava wrote:
cenzi wrote:
lol nice, so that's $1,899.80 USD thanks :phila:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

a real artist, whether a musician, actor, dancer or painter, quits whenever they aren't feeling it anymore. but can start again whenever they want.

and a TRUE artist NEVER quits. and their art endures long after they have died. :cheers:

i couldn't quit being creative if i tried.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EndsAll

Post by EndsAll »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:i couldn't quit being creative if i tried.
Please try harder.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

EndsAll wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:i couldn't quit being creative if i tried.
Please try harder.
:rofl:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Yo Mindbender, how are the sales figures for "Jupiter" looking dogg? Has that single you dropped generated much buzz on the charts?

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Moolah wrote:Yo Mindbender, how are the sales figures for "Jupiter" looking dogg? Has that single you dropped generated much buzz on the charts?
I'm a one man machine. Every single person that heard it that is NOT on :phila: digs that song.

Don't front like you care. When you hear 'Jupiter' from beginning to end, you will change your uninformed opinion of me. And if you don't, that's okay. I'm happy with it.

Did you hear 'Berzerker Barrage' yet?

http://www.steadybloggin.com/mindbender ... /#comments

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

One doesn't have to ever really call it quits, nor should they. But if someone isn't dope then they definitely should not share what they got.

My 2

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

When yo sales look like this and u don't get many shows

http://www.ihiphop.com/?p=59813

Texas Raised Mikey

Post by Texas Raised Mikey »

123 albums a week is a good side hustle.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Moolah wrote:Yo Mindbender, how are the sales figures for "Jupiter" looking dogg? Has that single you dropped generated much buzz on the charts?
I'm a one man machine. Every single person that heard it that is NOT on :phila: digs that song.

Don't front like you care. When you hear 'Jupiter' from beginning to end, you will change your uninformed opinion of me. And if you don't, that's okay. I'm happy with it.

He's not fronting like he cares about your anecdotes on who "likes" the shit or not.

He's asking what your sales figures are.

Is part of your beautiful truth not answering the question?