Kno has received a cease and desist letter

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote: Word to shaolin soul, I didn't know lyn collins- "aint no sunshine" before that, now it's my favourite song.
:arrow:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tIdIqbv7SPo?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tIdIqbv7SPo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

truthaddict wrote:
I think I remember this. Didn't he write an open letter to MF Doom or something complaining about him pulling off some Andy Kaufman shit at his shows? Link Please.
http://www.createblog.com/forums/lofive ... 07828.html

dubs

Post by dubs »

xx
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

If Kno was black this thread would have been filled with white guilt.

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

PopeyeJones wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote: Word to shaolin soul, I didn't know lyn collins- "aint no sunshine" before that, now it's my favourite song.
:arrow:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tIdIqbv7SPo?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tIdIqbv7SPo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
I was about to say...

None of these covers really fuck with Bill Withers. I have never cringed so much from an American Idol performance, than hearing some bullshit John Mayer sounding butchering of this. Fuck that show.

The Lynn Collins version does do it justice, though.

:rofl: ... Read the first comment on the youtube video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91YXFv0d3qk
PopeyeJones wrote:
truthaddict wrote:
I think I remember this. Didn't he write an open letter to MF Doom or something complaining about him pulling off some Andy Kaufman shit at his shows? Link Please.
http://www.createblog.com/forums/lofive ... 07828.html
:rofl: :cheers:

ric

Post by ric »

Philaflava wrote:If Kno was black this thread would have been filled with white guilt.
:larry:

i dont like that this is being done. but 3 million dollars worth of sample clearance is a little eeehhhhhh

if nothing else, doing the research is a sign that kno knew he was playing the game and now hes taking an L

whether hes bowing out of music completely seems pretty...unlikely to me and yet he seems to be suggesting/promising just that

the idea that hes going to shut down his next few projects is just part and parcel that hes been jacking shit and not clearing it.

its all well and good hes a 'down to earth' dude but if i stole his shit and sold it im pretty sure hed be mad

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

yo her voice just connected with me
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Anyone know what the sample was? I'd be curious to hear what he got caught on.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Blockhead wrote:Anyone know what the sample was? I'd be curious to hear what he got caught on.
You better watch your internet back, borks could be posting "float" sample sources in troy as we speak.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

ric wrote:if nothing else, doing the research is a sign that kno knew he was playing the game and now hes taking an L
Yeah, that was the point, it could have been prevented most likely.
if i stole his shit and sold it im pretty sure hed be mad

Come on man... are there hiphop-fans who think sampling is unethical? Good grief. He specifically said hes far from wealthy and money isn't his main motivation.

I'm not Kno's lawyer or even a fan of his, he was sometimes a prick on HHI, but I can empathize with him here.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Thread would be a lot different if it was Blockhead who was the one who got caught.

Don't really care who Kno is as a person and none of the Cunninglynguists are exceptional rappers but I thoroughly enjoy most of their records, especially APOS and Dirty Acres.

Thun

Post by Thun »

This thread would be so different if it was about DJ Kool Herc, yo!

I think it would also be different if it was about DJ Premier.

I get the sense it could be different in so many ways. Like 40-60, at least.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

:bork: 's need to Image

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Random Sample wrote::bork: 's need to Image
Seriously dont get what anyone can expect about this at this point. I mean if people were sending alerts to publishing companies thats one thing, but youtube sample outings are inevitable.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Moolah wrote:
Blockhead wrote:Anyone know what the sample was? I'd be curious to hear what he got caught on.
You better watch your internet back, borks could be posting "float" sample sources in troy as we speak.
Not a day goes by when I don't expect about 400 cease and desist letters in the mail.
I think it blows that Kno got caught but it happens...completely randomly. Record nerds are a funny breed. They're able to worship something and at the same time active take part in destroying it. Cool move, bro's.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Blockhead wrote:Record nerds are a funny breed. They're able to worship something and at the same time active take part in destroying it. Cool move, bro's.
Record nerds are seriously the weirdest and most annoying motherfuckers on the face of the earth. I seriously want to punch them in the face on a regular basis.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

The Afronaut wrote:
Random Sample wrote::bork: 's need to Image
Seriously dont get what anyone can expect about this at this point. I mean if people were sending alerts to publishing companies thats one thing, but youtube sample outings are inevitable.
Word. Don't tell someone that you know that doesn't like sampling and you know that so-and-so got a sample from and you know good and damn well that they can't afford the clearance. WTF son.....
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Versive

Post by Versive »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Versive wrote: And the idea that people can get in any sort of legal trouble over samples used on tracks that they aren't trying to sell is fucked.
To be fair though, this is over a sample on APOS, which IIRC they definitely sold and made money off of, right?

(not saying I even remotely give a fuck about clearing samples or not, just that the legality of it is the reverse of what you're implying).
Was making a general point. Danjamouse got sued over The Grey Album.

Thun

Post by Thun »

PopeyeJones wrote:^^^^ LOL

If true you just shit down the neck of my rambling "context" with a complete and total :copy: of compact, single sentence context.

If true, well fuck me then.
Not really, though, Kno's position is both understandable and foolishly idealistic, I agree. He just happens to have douche-like internetting tendencies.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Thun wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:^^^^ LOL

If true you just shit down the neck of my rambling "context" with a complete and total :copy: of compact, single sentence context.

If true, well fuck me then.
Not really, though, Kno's position is both understandable and foolishly idealistic, I agree. He just happens to have douche-like internetting tendencies.
Agreed, but moral/ethical pleas to strangers are entirely dependent on being convincing and without contradiction. He's making a moral/ethical plea to strangers to respect the positions he's in.

If in the past he has used the position he was in (previously sunnier, no doubt) to mock the positions that strangers on the Internet are in it puts the response to him in an entirely different context.

Basically, if there's KNO and The Internet, I was only focusing on where he was coming from -- I still think that's valid, but it doesn't do much to explain the response to him (if what you say is true, imo, also valid).

self :arrow:

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Honestly all the CL dudes are good guys, and Kno's rationale is sound. This blows but in all honesty I'm a bit surprised that it took this long for a cease & desist to happen.

http://www.whosampled.com/artist/CunninLynguists

:lastweek:

cosigning random sample on the borks, and blockhead on the curiosity over the specific song. although it probably doesn't matter.

CL makes (made?) great music, and it will age well.

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

As a guy that hasn't had the opportunity to read the open letter to DOOM that Kno wrote, I'd like to say that I find it to be pretty on point. DOOM needs to get over his social anxiety disorder or whatever the fuck his problem is. Didn't Mos Def call him out on that shit on their dual headline tour not so long ago?

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Kno's letter was basically saying that DOOM's fuckery [and that is what it was, laziness and fuckery] would end up costing other hip-hop acts when people who are already reluctant to book rappers get burned by a big name like DOOM. The logic was that it just gives them even more reason to become non-rap venues and the result is that it hurts other artists who are actually showing up and doing their shows.

I am a big DOOM fan, but I cannot co-sign stealing from your fan base in quite so disrespectful a fashion. Isn't it enough to put out every beat three times and recycle tracks whenever possible?

As far as Kno's current problem, obviously people are going to do what they want and he apparently acknowledges that but is not going to keep sampling if his own fans dont want to be more discreet. The shortsightedness of online communities is always baffling to me. It's like if back in the day you have a favorite weed spot and you start just telling everyone you see on the street where it's at and posting up signs for where to get that "good dro".

The benefit: meagre and fleeting props
The downside: spot busted and you are back to hiking fifteen blocks uptown to get skimped for some seedy bamboozle

Makes no sense to me, but yeah...the internet yo!
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Stealing from fans is one of the pillars of hip hop. Kool Herc does it.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Thun wrote:Stealing from fans is one of the pillars of hip hop. Kool Herc does it.
:lol: Goodness.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Thun wrote:Stealing from fans is one of the pillars of hip hop. Kool Herc does it.
Is he in OFWGKTA?

Thun

Post by Thun »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
Is he in OFWGKTA?
nah, Dip Set affiliate.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Thun wrote:
COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
Is he in OFWGKTA?
nah, Dip Set affiliate.
Zeke on first, Santana on second, Kool Herc on third...

myself

Post by myself »

Busta Ry wrote:As a guy that hasn't had the opportunity to read the open letter to DOOM that Kno wrote, I'd like to say that I find it to be pretty on point. DOOM needs to get over his social anxiety disorder or whatever the fuck his problem is. Didn't Mos Def call him out on that shit on their dual headline tour not so long ago?
People need to get over shit in general. Get over cancer, AIDS, homosexuality, diabetes, hypertension, schizophrenia, whatever these faggots have. Some deceased rappers need to get over their deaths because they owe internet rap fans new material and good shows.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

myself wrote:
Busta Ry wrote:As a guy that hasn't had the opportunity to read the open letter to DOOM that Kno wrote, I'd like to say that I find it to be pretty on point. DOOM needs to get over his social anxiety disorder or whatever the fuck his problem is. Didn't Mos Def call him out on that shit on their dual headline tour not so long ago?
People need to get over shit in general. Get over cancer, AIDS, homosexuality, diabetes, hypertension, schizophrenia, whatever these faggots have. Some deceased rappers need to get over their deaths because they owe internet rap fans new material and good shows.
I see your point, but honestly if you have social anxiety issues dont tour. Simple as that.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

The Afronaut wrote:
myself wrote:
I see your point, but honestly if you have social anxiety issues dont tour. Simple as that.
It really is that simple, but hold up...people really think DOOM was doing all of that because of social anxiety?

:rofl: