How do u feel bout the new multi-genre albums?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i feel like fiend's sweetest hangover kinda fits here. he doesn't try to really sing but he's not exactly rapping on a lot of it either, and the production/arrangement give the whole thing a feel of some weird stoner rap/soul jazz/barry white hybrid. it's pretty awesome

also, i think this trend could be at least partially traced back to common's electric circus, roots' phrenology, and that mos def rock album
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i feel like BID might be a little unclear as to what post-punk sounds like.

james blake & jamie xx/gil scott-heron put out good records that tend to encompass a few genres.. but that's electronic music

Thun

Post by Thun »

drizzle wrote:i feel like fiend's sweetest hangover kinda fits here. he doesn't try to really sing but he's not exactly rapping on a lot of it either, and the production/arrangement give the whole thing a feel of some weird stoner rap/soul jazz/barry white hybrid. it's pretty awesome

also, i think this trend could be at least partially traced back to common's electric circus, roots' phrenology, and that mos def rock album
I find that he sounds a lot like a Quiet Storm radio DJ, pattering all sorts of slick shit as a song kicks in... except the R&B song you're anticipating never happens. Agreed that it's pretty awesome.