Anybody use WhoSampled.com?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

the dead poet

Re: Anybody use WhoSampled.com?

Post by the dead poet »

ChaMerZ wrote:whosampled.com made me hate hip hop. i prefer not knowing that a producer blatantly ripped off an existing albeit dated song. Some talented producers do justice to the earlier works but most? Nah. I absolutely hate the obvious ones, where all the producer did is add in a couple of drums and snares and called it quits.

i swear by the no samples mantra and my mans tyler the creator is on the vanguard of this entire movement. fuck a sample. real talk.
:larry:
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

most rap songs made before 1990 used blatant full on song sampling before they ever started chopping tracks up.

technically, all the drums and synths tyler uses are samples from whatever program he's using.

he's not making his own snare sounds from scratch. he probably doesn't know how to process a sine wave.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

But you can't just walk up to a keyboard and construct something presentable. You need talent and/or skill. The barrier of entry for sample based production is much much lower. Don't get me wrong. I understand that Hip-Hop as a genre is pretty much based on pilfering other people's work. This actually never used to bother me. I only started to get bothered recently when my music tastes diversified, and I started re-discovering songs which I had already heard before in sample form.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

I make both styles. I go through phases where I make mostly non sampled works...but what you are saying is incorrect. i'll leave it at that.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

:fail:
Last edited by DJCommunist on Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ned Ryerson
Location: with my helmet on you can't tell me i'm not in space.

Post by Ned Ryerson »

the dead poet wrote:I make both styles. I go through phases where I make mostly non sampled works...but what you are saying is incorrect. i'll leave it at that.
this.

Strictly Business

Post by Strictly Business »

I use it to check that a sample i've found hasn't already been used.
However, the site is missing so much information you can't rely on it.
It's also handy for identifying samples that my herb addled mind has forgotten.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Let Jaz Down wrote:Turned The-Breaks into MySpace.
This. There's still a lot on the Breaks but WS search engine is so much better, not even close really.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

AWAE wrote:certain artists pages are protected and can't be updated.

for example, rjd2s page lists almost none of the samples from his solo albums but its not like
these samples aren't known.. most are listed on his wiki page..

obviously he struck some kind of agreement with whosampled
Just happened to peep this while browsing the site today. I wonder what kind of agreement he has with them that they'd do that? Shits weird.

Brokewax

Post by Brokewax »

The Afronaut wrote:
AWAE wrote:certain artists pages are protected and can't be updated.

for example, rjd2s page lists almost none of the samples from his solo albums but its not like
these samples aren't known.. most are listed on his wiki page..

obviously he struck some kind of agreement with whosampled
Just happened to peep this while browsing the site today. I wonder what kind of agreement he has with them that they'd do that? Shits weird.

An artist can choose to become "protected" thereby removing existing entries, and/or barring anyone from posting new ones. Apollo Brown and People Under the Stairs have also done this.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Thats interesting as hell to me. So, WhoSampled offers "protection" to artists. Is it like by request or do they have to pay a fee or what?

Thun

Post by Thun »

I finally submitted a sample I figured out to WS. Still awaiting their approval but I feel super important, yo!

Thun

Post by Thun »

ChaMerZ wrote:But you can't just walk up to a keyboard and construct something presentable. You need talent and/or skill. The barrier of entry for sample based production is much much lower. Don't get me wrong. I understand that Hip-Hop as a genre is pretty much based on pilfering other people's work. This actually never used to bother me. I only started to get bothered recently when my music tastes diversified, and I started re-discovering songs which I had already heard before in sample form.
You cannot just fiddle around with a sampler and make a dope beat any easier than you can fiddle around with a piano and construct a beautiful melody. Stop it.