2013 BET Hip-Hop Awards TDE Cypher

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Piff Tannen

Re: 2013 BET Hip-Hop Awards TDE Cypher

Post by Piff Tannen »

the pro era cypher had way more energy than the BET ones. might be time for BET to revisit how they format it for next year

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Here's a dope D.I.T.C. Cypher from a few months ago that's better then the BET bullshit...

And here's a DJ Evil Dee Cypher with some dope MC's from back in May...

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

WiCkEd22 wrote:Cypher 6 – Real Husbands Of Hollywood: JB Smooth, Dwayne Martin, Boris Kodjoe, Nick Cannon, Nelly & Chocolate Drop (Kevin Hart)

^What a joke!!

DLG

Post by DLG »

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Lil Kim had the only entertaining verse. Kendrick still wack.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

I enjoyed the cypher...

:free:

Versive

Post by Versive »

How is Kendrick Lamar considered so much better than anyone in Slaughtahouse?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

because he knows how to write songs instead of just rapping as an exercise in rapping
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

drizzle wrote:because he knows how to write songs instead of just rapping as an exercise in rapping
Interscope is fucking up Slaughterhouse, not themselves. Those guys all made amazing rap songs before they got signed.

The label just won't release anything that's not strangled-by-committee rap music making.

Kendrick's songs don't satisfy everybody. I'd rather listen to Drake.

"I don't know why they been lyin/ BUT YO' SHIT IS NOT THAT INSPIRING" :copy:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

WiCkEd22 wrote:Here's a dope D.I.T.C. Cypher from a few months ago that's better then the BET bullshit...

And here's a DJ Evil Dee Cypher with some dope MC's from back in May...

that same Boiler Room show had a short eXquire set and an extensive Pro Era cypher that was sabotaged by bad servers not streaming and going offline.
i might still have a recording of it somewhere.

alpha

Post by alpha »

besides MB, who thinks Drake is >>>>>>>>>>> Kendrick?

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

alpha wrote:besides MB, who thinks Drake is >>>>>>>>>>> Kendrick?
well.. that is the popular opinion

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

ackbar wrote:
In the larger scope, sure, but amongst rap nerd circles like Phila? Nah. Drake is also significantly more polarizing than Kendrick in general, although it seems he's become more accepted/tolerated by said rap nerd circles as of late.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

i think kendrick is a more talented mc than drake. he's got that kind of flow that's tough to imitate because it changes all the time. he experiments more with his raps, which i appreciate as a fan. drakes flow rarely changes.

that being said i'd rather listen to drake he makes better songs

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Lyric783 wrote:
peanut butter wrote:That Isaiah Rashad verse tho
Yes indeed, dude is an incredible fit with that crew
This.

KL backlash is also fucking stupid.

Req

Post by Req »

Kony Montana wrote: but amongst rap nerd circles like Phila?
I don't think this is true anymore. At one point it was, but I'd say a good 60% of people on this board understand it's 2013 and are accepting and interested in new shit that sounds good. The other 40% are mongoloids stuck in some masturbatory cycle over 1994, including a minority of folks who use hip-hop as an enabling fantasyland for their Asbergers.
F.U. MOOLAH

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Kony Montana wrote:
ackbar wrote:
In the larger scope, sure, but amongst rap nerd circles like Phila? Nah. Drake is also significantly more polarizing than Kendrick in general, although it seems he's become more accepted/tolerated by said rap nerd circles as of late.
- Rap Traditionalists: Kendrick Lamar > Drake
- Rap Mainstream: Drake > Kendrick Lamar
- Rap Hipsters: Drake > Kendrick Lamar

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

ackbar wrote:
Kony Montana wrote:
ackbar wrote:

Well then, that comprehensive breakdown pretty much settles it, hmm? Why don't we just lock the thread and move on.

PEACE

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Req wrote:
Kony Montana wrote: but amongst rap nerd circles like Phila?
I don't think this is true anymore. At one point it was, but I'd say a good 60% of people on this board understand it's 2013 and are accepting and interested in new shit that sounds good. The other 40% are mongoloids stuck in some masturbatory cycle over 1994, including a minority of folks who use hip-hop as an enabling fantasyland for their Asbergers.
Maybe that was poorly phrased, and I agree with your assessment. I meant places like :phila: , KTT, the coli, etc that are rap-centric have higher regard for Kendrick as a rapper than other, not-rap-centric boards with an "official hip hop discussion" topic. The people here are paying attention to what's going on with hip-hop more intently than on the body builder forums or whatever.

I intended 'rap nerd' to refer to anyone who can remember how many times yung berg got robbed off the top of their head, or other such minutiae.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

thatkidnero

Post by thatkidnero »

I do, but I don't think Kendrick is no good or anything. Just not really impressed by the rap tricks.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

peanut butter wrote:
ackbar wrote:
Kony Montana wrote:
ackbar wrote:

Well then, that comprehensive breakdown pretty much settles it, hmm? Why don't we just lock the thread and move on.

PEACE
:cheers:

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

schoolboy q > kendrick

thats kinda how i feel

Versive

Post by Versive »

Versive wrote:How is Kendrick Lamar considered so much better than anyone in Slaughtahouse?
drizzle wrote:because he knows how to write songs instead of just rapping as an exercise in rapping
I get that, but in a setting like this it seems to me that should be totally irrelevant. It also just seems strange to me that people go so nuts over Kendrick's "Control" verse and performances like this, when you can find dudes doing lyrical acrobatics just like that, if not better, all over the Internet. It's not uncommon anywhere but the radio, but all of a sudden people act like they've never heard a fast rap before.

Don't get me wrong: I dig Kendrick's work. He's overrated as fuck, but dope nonetheless. Just kinda baffled by mainstream rap's shifting trends and short-term memory (or lack thereof) these days. Got grown-ass men out here acting like 4 year olds who just heard rap for the first time.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

PopeyeJones wrote:KL backlash is also fucking stupid.
This. People are fishing.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Versive wrote:
I get that, but in a setting like this it seems to me that should be totally irrelevant. It also just seems strange to me that people go so nuts over Kendrick's "Control" verse and performances like this, when you can find dudes doing lyrical acrobatics just like that, if not better, all over the Internet. It's not uncommon anywhere but the radio, but all of a sudden people act like they've never heard a fast rap before.

Don't get me wrong: I dig Kendrick's work. He's overrated as fuck, but dope nonetheless. Just kinda baffled by mainstream rap's shifting trends and short-term memory (or lack thereof) these days. Got grown-ass men out here acting like 4 year olds who just heard rap for the first time.
he's the only dude with mainstream visiblity that raps like this. 16 year olds don't listen to anyone other than kendrick who raps lyrical miracles. it's the same demographic that was calling jay z a lyrical genius after his last album dropped.

thatkidnero

Post by thatkidnero »

DLG wrote:
Versive wrote:

he's the only dude with mainstream visiblity that raps like this. 16 year olds don't listen to anyone other than kendrick who raps lyrical miracles. it's the same demographic that was calling jay z a lyrical genius after his last album dropped.
C'mon now, 16 year olds do not listen to Jay z. Also, I don't know about all that stuff about Kendrick having the lyrical miracle demographic locked down, kids love that rappity-rap bullshit.

But what Versive said is true. The underlying theme amongst most of the rappers in the cyphers seems to be all this rap technician type shit and whether you dig that kinda thing or not, it seems pretty clear that Crooked I did it waaaaaaay better than anyone else.