Macklemore won all the Grammys

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Jayou Ayen

Re: Macklemore won all the Grammys

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Lordy (Jaz's wifepiece) is basically giving a 2 finger salute to Escobar305's lifestyle aspirations.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Awards are really gay.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

drizzle wrote:Well I for one am shocked that a meaningless self-promoting pop culture institution that has never once shown a shred of genuine insight into any of the subcultures it tries to engage with, even in the broad homogenized sense, failed to accurately gauge the relevance of a piece of music that is hinged entirely on the understanding of a world that this institution is most removed from.
:rofl: :copy:

it's not as much the Grammys. it's the repercussions it will have on people who go and listen to Macklemore starting today instead of maybe going to listen to Kendrick Lamar, starting today.

"oh wow, Best New Album! I gotta get what this Macklemore guy got! he must be the best thing in hip hop!" :bunk:

and how this meaningless, ignorant institution actually affects album sales, future music opportunities, MONEY EARNING POTENTIAL, and all kinds of other stuff that means more to life than having an actual Grammy statue as an ashtray in the smoking section of a person's basement.

white people, YOU gotta speak up against this bullshit too. if you have any fucking love and respect for hip hop justice, you also have to say "yo, Macklemore doesn't deserve that. not because he's white, but because Kendrick Lamar made the better album."

white institutions of injustice and evil may not "matter" to our opinions of the artform... BUT THESE PEOPLE'S FUCKING BULLSHIT DECISIONS AFFECT THINGS IN THE REAL WORLD, AND THAT'S WHY IT CAN'T JUST BE COMPLETELY IGNORED.

i wish i could just :kanyeshrug: this off and I would, if Macklemore only won 1 or 2 awards. Him clean sweeping the WHOLE SHIT is just like "Hey, guess what, everybody? Unjust and ignorant white people still control way too much power in this world!" :shittylikesometp:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

How can I, as a white person, address this injustice?

I want to help but I'm not sure how.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:IMO Macklemore exploiting gays and rap to make himself famous is way more offensive than Miley Cyrus' wack dancing.

"It's like... the same love!" Yeeesh. Do Americans never get offended when celebs talk to them as if they were little children? Why is everyone using language and arguments fit for a kindergarden in a room full of grown people? You guys are really strange, do you ever discuss issues in adult language?
:roll:
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Jayou Ayen wrote:Lordy (Jaz's wifepiece) is basically giving a 2 finger salute to Escobar305's lifestyle aspirations.

I fuckin hate that song, I will take from you before I ever settle for less, believe that

Thun

Post by Thun »

Dids wrote:And now we know why Pete Rock talked over all the tracks. Sheesh.

Caring about what one random group of clowns that in no way makes any attempt to reflect what posters on this site enjoy is really silly. I liked dude wining because if there's any value out of any of this, putting some sort of validating stamp/more attention on a message of equality and inclusion has more value than whatever a co-sign does for Kendrick Lamar.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: / :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kace

Post by Kace »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:Fucking apartheid ass rapper.
He does look like a neo-nazi :killacam:
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

watchout

Post by watchout »

Ya know, I was all ready to be mad but I can't knock the white man's hustle. Here we are oppressed, exploited, imprisoned, hated, rich African history, yet niggas wanna rap about booty shaking. The white man has to be the one rapping about something of substance. I ain't mad at him.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:How can I, as a white person, address this injustice?

I want to help but I'm not sure how.
Be the weird white voice.

Be one of those white people who say to other white people: "you know that shit is wrong, right? this is a clear case of white supremacy. this shit is a total injustice to ALL people who like art. This isn't an injustice against Kendrick Lamar or in favor of Macklemore, this is a fucking injustice to ARTISTRY, as usual for the Grammys. Their selection committee has some disgusting if not disappointing selection process, and it's clearly committing crimes of white privilege, which is NOT GOOD."

I know like EIGHT or NINE white people who ACTIVELY, OPENLY AND CONSISTENTLY speak out against white privilege, white supremacy, elite white nepotism, and such destructive evils. MOST other white people silently do nothing every day, and just let the white fuckory perpetuate.

don't just say this shit while your Black or non-white friends are around. TELL OTHER WHITE PEOPLE HOW FUCKING WRONG IT IS FOR WHITE SUPREMACY TO RAPE CULTURE AND ART LIKE SO.

there's a LOT of fucking work to do. Aggregate, Racialized White Power is a serious problem that will take centuries to eliminate.
Start small.
Start with yourself.
Start with the people around you.

and STOP CONDONING OR PERPETUATING THE FUCKING RACIST (AND SEXIST) IGNORANT BULLSHIT THAT HAPPENS DAILY.

that's how you can start to help, CQ.

MANY white people have to realize one day soon: they are probably more a part of the problem than a part of the solution.
This is true for Black people too, but Black people's problem is NOT a problem of "too much power and money within a consistently evil distribution network constantly oppressing all other minorities and other equal parties (Latino people are the majority population in California, but are they... politically? FUCK NO)."

white people need to stop being white, basically.
(p.s. i'm not "black". i'm fucking HUMAN LOVE. i love Africa, but i hate thoughts that perpetuate black supremacy. white people have to start hating white supremacy, instead of being like "I'm more comfortable around my own type: you know, white folks!" silent racist bullshit that whites do so very often, but NEVER say it of course) :fail: :bunk: :omar: :larry: :arrow:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

speaker

Post by speaker »

Although I don't often agree with Stanley Crouch (especially about hip hop), he captured the spirit of what Macklemore represents as well as well as anyone in a decade-old column about overrated white jazz artists:

http://jazztimes.com/articles/19802-put ... -in-charge

Substitute the LGBTQ + anti-bling angle for attacks on bebop traditionalism, and you have the white media reception to Same Love and Royals:
Now, having long been devoted to creating an establishment based on “rebellion,” or what Rimbaud called the “love of sacrilege,”they have achieved a moment long desired:Now certain kinds of white men can focus their rebellion on the Negro. Oh, happy day.
George Carlin was more straightforward, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcr8dm9Prkk
"House of Blues"...They oughta call it the House of Lame White Motherfuckers.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

watchout wrote:Ya know, I was all ready to be mad but I can't knock the white man's hustle. Here we are oppressed, exploited, imprisoned, hated, rich African history, yet niggas wanna rap about booty shaking. The white man has to be the one rapping about something of substance. I ain't mad at him.

Yea bro cuz "Good Kid, Maad City" was definitely an album rife with nothing but mindless club anthems, and Kendrick wasn't "rapping about something of substance"

PEACE

step one

Post by step one »

Turns out the only thing worse than Macklemore is a thread about Macklemore winning a grammy
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

mindbender, even if he gave kendrick the grammy, it wouldnt change anything. what else could dude do to not be an 'apartheid rapper'? aside from 'stop existing'

i didnt watch the grammys, but i dont think macklemore is some evil scheming cog in the machine trying to take down the black man.

in fact, you told comedy quadaffi 'be the weird white voice.'

machine gun kelly, mac miller and rittz are out here turning up like their black counterparts and macklemore is rapping about gay people and how hand me downs can be cool, while migos raps about versace. seems weird enough for people to take notice.

for the record, i fuck with rittz

:cas:

i feel like people get hella mad about the rapy grammys every year, but then we remember that its the grammys, and its an award for pop music above all. so fuck it

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Piff Tannen wrote:mindbender, even if he gave kendrick the grammy, it wouldnt change anything. what else could dude do to not be an 'apartheid rapper'? aside from 'stop existing'

i didnt watch the grammys, but i dont think macklemore is some evil scheming cog in the machine trying to take down the black man.

in fact, you told comedy quadaffi 'be the weird white voice.'

machine gun kelly, mac miller and rittz are out here turning up like their black counterparts and macklemore is rapping about gay people and how hand me downs can be cool, while migos raps about versace. seems weird enough for people to take notice.

for the record, i fuck with rittz

:cas:

i feel like people get hella mad about the rapy grammys every year, but then we remember that its the grammys, and its an award for pop music above all. so fuck it
symbolically, it would be HUGE for Macklemore to give Kendrick the award. FUCKING ENORMOUS. what are you talking about? everyone would fucking lose their minds and talk about it. even if it was just for one of the four awards. like maybe the BEST NEW ALBUM one that Kendrick actually deserved more than Macklemore, by ALL logical and respectable standards of analysis and success in modern music.

you guys think i'm calling Macklemore the problem? NO. I'm calling THE RACIST SYSTEM OF WHITE SUPREMACY AND WHITE PRIVILEGE the real root problem. Macklemore's light-hearted support of the system is just one of the million branches on the black-culture-lynching tree of white cultural and capitalist supremacy that supports the problem. But, I concede he does not create it. He didn't ask to be nominated for all that shit. He just showed up to the award ceremony... and took the awards when they called his name.

But he didn't have to take the awards, if he really thought he didn't deserve them. Artists DO reject awards sometimes, you know. ONLY ARTISTS WITH ANY KIND OF FUCKING INTEGRITY OR MORALITY REJECT AWARDS THEY THINK THEY DON'T DESERVE, THOUGH.

He just collects benefits from not FIGHTING against the problem. And FUCK YES, I REITERATE: if Macklemore said "yeah, I TOTALLY DO NOT DESERVE THIS AWARD, AND I BELIEVE THAT I DON'T DESERVE IT SO MUCH, THAT I WILL ACTUALLY JUST HAND IT TO ITS RIGHTFUL OWNER, KENDRICK LAMAR" would be a HUGE fucking move on every level. He would go from being a silent co-conspirator in the whitewashing of hip hop to being a major player trying to create justice on both sides of the racial fence of reality.

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THE GRAMMYS THEMSELVES. I doubt I'll even watch a 5 minute gathering of all the funny clips and moments of the show. I do NOT give a fuck about the Grammys whatsoever. NEVERTHELESS: there are repercussions for this kind of bullshit happening in society. Lives get changed because of Grammy awards.

and right now, MORE WHITE AMERICA KIDS THAN EVER are, right fucking now as we speak, penning up their little "I'm going to be the next Macklemore!" token social awareness paeans to Asian kids in wheelchairs and or victims of multiple sclerosis or lupus, hoping to hit some kind of mainstream-white-folks-approved, fame and fortune-swelling goodwill bandwagon, and/or craft the next skull-raping ear worm yet to burrow into our psyches by blathering about corny memes or Kindle reader issues or some other first world problem they can spin into a catchy little ditty that blows up ala 'Thrift Shop'.
(We all know the exact same shit happened with Marshall Eminem Mathers when he blew up with 'Real Slim Shady'... except it was more aggressive, Detroit-hardened and battle rap tinged, and less Seattle white hipster looking. Same fucking result.)

THIS KIND OF AWARD SHOW FUCKORY PERPETUATES THE FUCKING EVIL OF THIS RACIST BULLSHIT TO THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW BETTER.

my wonderful WHITE friend Lindsay said this, and I behoove you to do the same in the real world. PEACE TO ALL MY WHITE HOMIES.
I only found out Macklemore won Best Rap Album cuz of FB….but let me say this: I am white and the thought of white ppl "taking over" and obliterating what is left of hip hop as Black music makes me really angry. Not because I give such credence to an award show, but because these award shows SET PRECEDENTS. They give ppl make-believe passes to appropriate and steal from African American musical styles…as has happened with Rock n Roll, Jazz, Blues. This is nothing new, it's a continuation of culture-jacking because they wish so much they were the creators of such awesomeness. If cultures or a people could reserve legal rights to styles they create there would be some serious royalties owing.
I want to have faith that you would take the side of JUSTICE over the side of WHITENESS if it came down to it. :killacam: :omar: :killacam:
Last edited by Mindbender Futurama on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wuk

Post by wuk »

BEST NEW ALBUM is not a category, MB
ryebread mixes. <--------download

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

you know what i mean.

BEST NEW RAP ALBUM

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
and Macklemore: enjoy your new white audience.
Macklemore had a black audience?

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

That Lorde song is gonna make me fuckin' snap. Every...where...I...go.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

macklemore is gay
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote: I fuckin hate that song
WE FINALLY AGREE ON SOMETHING SERIOUS.

god, do I ever hate that song. and I mean HATE.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Hacksaw Jim Thuggin wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:
and Macklemore: enjoy your new white audience.
Macklemore had a black audience?

ha ha, no. and exactly.

Emphasis on the "new".

I mean SUPER UBER TOTALLY NON-hip hop white people will LOOOOOOVE him now.

I considered myself a fan of him... 6 months before 'Thrift Shop' dropped. I actually made a post on :phila: about how dope I thought 'White Privlege' is as a song. I remember giving Macklemore props around here, even when many others were ignoring him and/or listening to RiFF RaFF and Mac Miller ironically.

But why would I give a moment to Macklemore now? He's SO not the same guy anymore.

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/27/macklem ... ritocracy/
Even Macklemore acknowledged that he “robbed Kendrick,” via a text message that he then sent out screenshots of via social media. However, Macklemore claimed that fear prevented him from taking a courageous stance and saying exactly that when he went up to accept his award. But Kendrick Lamar can’t do anything with a private apology, Macklemore. Far too often, allies refuse to speak up in public while asking for absolution via private confessions. Macklemore failed to use the white privilege that he has readily acknowledged to challenge this structure of power in a moment when the world was watching.
Funny how he "froze up" when it was time to apologize as he was collecting the award... pretty convenient time to FORGET your morals and true feelings about something so huge and important.

People who have fucking INTEGRITY don't "freeze up" when the moment comes to speak out. They might fucking BLURT something angry and spontaneous and odd, like Fiona Apple did when she said "this world is bullshit!" or like when Kanye West said "George Bush doesn't care about Black people!" You know, like THOSE moments in life, when GENUINE people took GENUINE moral stands on issues they cared about?

UH YEAH. DON'T GIVE ME THAT "I FROZE" BULLSHIT, MACKLEMORE. FUCK OFF WITH YOUR FAKE CONCERN FOR HIP HOP AND FOR GAY PEOPLE. I'M TOTALLY FED UP WITH THIS WHITE EXPLOITATION AND WHITE APPROPRIATION OF BLACK REALITY AND DIFFERENT SEXUALITY.

White people are either gonna laugh about it (FUCK YOU LOSERS), ignore it (SMH) or speak up (WHAT UP MY BROTHER AND SISTER) and I don't give a fuck what you do: JUST DON'T LIE ABOUT BEING DOWN WITH BLACK CULTURE AND HIP HOP IF YOU ARE NOT.

if we don't say or do anything about this bullshit in 2014, it will just continue. forever. WHITE RAP IS OUTTA CONTROL

i actually AM a little bit mad at this shit, ha ha.
yes homo, so homo and fucking right i am angry.

"You're quite hostile." - Mistadobalina
"I GOT A RIGHT TO BE HOSTILE, MAN! MY PEOPLE BEING PERSECUTED!!" - Flavor Flav

zombie

Post by zombie »

Why are you mad at macklemore, it's not his fault pop culture grabbed him up. If gangsta rap was popular then gangster rapPers would win grammies. Is that What you want? don't blame any of this on that faggot maklemorr

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Thun wrote:
Dids wrote:And now we know why Pete Rock talked over all the tracks. Sheesh.

Caring about what one random group of clowns that in no way makes any attempt to reflect what posters on this site enjoy is really silly. I liked dude wining because if there's any value out of any of this, putting some sort of validating stamp/more attention on a message of equality and inclusion has more value than whatever a co-sign does for Kendrick Lamar.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

mindbender, you know if you got a grammy and you felt someone else you were up again should have gotten it, you wouldnt give it up, none of us would. dont even front son. end of the day, shit is still a competition.

would you be this mad if kendrick lost that grammy to drake?

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Wasn't surprised at all, in fact knew it would happen going in. Look, "the Grammy's" isn't some monolithic institution with an anti-black agenda, it's just a bunch of people voting about music that they never listen to, and it's flaws expand way beyond selecting the right rap album each year (something they've never done well). But, funny that the turd Macklemore himself addressed it a lot more succinctly than most of you who got your panties in a bunch:
Macklemore Says He Had "An Unfair Advantage Due To Race" At The Grammys

Macklemore calls his Grammy wins, "The blessing and the curse."

Macklemore says that his four Grammy wins yesterday have both positive and negative aspects.

“It’s the blessing and the curse, a little bit more the curse,” the Seattle rapper said during an interview with New York radio station Hot 97 that was published today (January 27). “First and foremost, Kendrick [Lamar] is a friend of mine. He’s somebody that I love his music and, in my opinion, had the best Rap album of the year. And knowing how the Grammys usually go, I knew that there would be a great chance that we’d win that award and, in essence, rob Kendrick. That’s what happened tonight. It kind of sucks. I think we made a great album. I think that Kendrick made a better Rap album.”

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis won four Grammys yesterday (January 26), including Best Rap Album and Best Rap Song. Macklemore said he knows why he and Lewis were so successful at the award show.

“In terms of the people that are voting on those ballots, filling out those bubbles, we have an unfair advantage due to race, due to the fact we had huge radio success, due to the fact that our name was circulating more in a pocket in the industry of people filling out that ballot,” he said. "This is not like a Rap Radar poll, like a 2DopeBoyz poll. This is not a Hot 97 poll. This is the Grammys. This is many different types of people. All different age groups filling out a ballot where they might not necessarily know the genre.”

Macklemore also explained why he said he felt he “robbed" Kendrick Lamar, in particular, at the Grammys.

“What makes it awkward for me is the fact you never want to be the person that is robbing somebody else,” he said. "I think if you look at what the Grammys are, I think that what people don’t understand is what the Grammys are a bunch of people that are on the Grammy committee or in the industry [that get] a ballot. I got a ballot this year. Now, as I’m filling out the ballot, I’m realizing I don’t know much outside of the genre of Hip Hop in terms of who should get what award. So I’m like, ‘I don’t really know about singer-songwriter or country music or whatever,' but people are filling out bubbles of genres that they don’t know about. And that’s the process of it.”
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

canibus did more for gays in hip hop than that faggot macklemore
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Thun

Post by Thun »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:Wasn't surprised at all, in fact knew it would happen going in. Look, "the Grammy's" isn't some monolithic institution with an anti-black agenda, it's just a bunch of people voting about music that they never listen to, and it's flaws expand way beyond selecting the right rap album each year (something they've never done well). But, funny that the turd Macklemore himself addressed it a lot more succinctly than most of you who got your panties in a bunch:

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

WHERE WERE U IN '00?