Unpopular Rap Opinions

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

aleph

Post by aleph »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:All Rakim's work is solo work. "Eric B & Rakim" wasn't a real group. That's like calling the Chronic 2001 a "Jimmy Iovine and Dr Dre" album.
Of course they were a real group. It's a common fallacy that Eric B did squat in the group. Sure he was a dj with questionable skills, sure he stole producer credit from Large Professor and others, but he did actually produce the songs on Paid In Full and at least co-produce Follow The Leader. And he performed onstage with Rakim, doing all of his laughable cuts and scratches.

Req

Post by Req »

aleph wrote:but he did actually produce the songs on Paid In Full
i thought that was Marl?
F.U. MOOLAH

Dee el Hugely

Post by Dee el Hugely »

Mannie Fresh is a GOAT producer

aleph

Post by aleph »

Req wrote:
aleph wrote:but he did actually produce the songs on Paid In Full
i thought that was Marl?
He did the first single- My Melody/Eric B is President

Hmmm, actually I shouldn't say that he produced Paid in Full, co-produced at best. Rakim said he did most of the tracks.

Maybe MALEK has something after all, but damn if Eric wasn't the duo's dookie rope king!

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

People who (most likely) produced for Eric B & Rakim:

DJ Mark the 45 King, Large Professor, Marley Marl, Paul C, Rakim and possibly to a lesser degree, Eric B.

A lot of the times Eric B didn't even pretend to scratch live, sometimes it was pre-recorded and he'd fake it. But he got really mad at Large Pro for talkin' about how he made some of those beats.

And a lot of the time engineers (which Paul C definitely was) would get credit for that but people wouldn't know that that person made the whole beat. So sometimes there are signs in the liner notes but often back then people just wouldn't get credit as a way of practicing and being put on by larger, more well regarded and known artists.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

My impression is that Eric B did a minimal amount of production, that he was mostly a businessman. He also has zero charisma, that look in his eyes in all the videos is straight mongoloid.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.