General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

anybody get the instrumentals?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

At the price I paid for both of the deals I ordered, you'd literally need to suck my dick before I ripped them for you.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

so you're sayin theres a chance?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

AWAE wrote:so you're sayin theres a chance?
Got a pretty mouth, bro?

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dS0yi1FQDtg?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dS0yi1FQDtg?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

DLG

Post by DLG »

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eJG-SwHEmZk?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eJG-SwHEmZk?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

instrumentals been on the slsk for a minute now.

Panama

Post by Panama »

sleazy_j wrote:instrumentals been on the slsk for a minute now.
God bless SoulSeek

perabigail

Post by perabigail »

El-P, or the man who killed May with two superb releases, is set to play Conan this Wednesday. He'll be performing in support of Cancer 4 Cure, we can figure that much. However, the rapper/producer has taken to Twitter to announce that he'll be playing with a special guest: Zola Jesus.

myself

Post by myself »

Playing "Works Every Time." I had never heard of this Jesus lady.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

http://teamcoco.com/video/el-p-works-every-time

Worth it just to see LaBamba on the horns. I have no idea what the appeal or point of Zola Jesus was though.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

Zola Jesus

never heard of her before

but

that was kinda annoying on her part

everything else was dope

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

yeah i cut it off halfway through because i thought it was sort of a mess. then again i watched krit's performance on conan and thought that was a mess, too. something about their overall setup.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8JnRzpTkW6A?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8JnRzpTkW6A?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

zombie

Post by zombie »

:lol:

DLG

Post by DLG »

that was pretty terrible

Panama

Post by Panama »

DLG wrote:that was pretty terrible

Dids

Post by Dids »

Worst song on the album with a pointless and distracting guest. I love El-P's music, but he makes weird choices with his live show (which I'm seeing tomorrow).

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

Into the Wild tour tomorrow night in Seattle. Looking forward to it. Dids, get that sweatervest ready.

edit: self-:pause:

DJ Primate

Post by DJ Primate »

Dids wrote:I love El-P's music, but he makes weird choices with his live show.
Agreed. I saw his show when he stopped by Austin. All acts leading up to El were dope. Despot was great, eXquire was crazy, and Killer Mike had a pretty interesting set (lots of R.A.P. Music tracks, but also some from the Pledge series and early guest verses). Although when El came on stage, the pace went down quite a bit. His angsty/dramatic presence was pretty contrasting from the rest of the show.

He had live instruments playing some of the parts (featuring an overzealous keytarist) that were waaay too loud, they overpowered this backing tracks and it was kind of distracting. Previously mentioned Keytarist had one preset in his arsenal, a very loud high pitched sound effect that was ear-splitting, kinda killed the mood as well. Also, the backing tracks were awful, muffled up (what I guess were) mp3s that lacked the boom and power of Killer Mike's set.

Maybe the soundman was having a shitty day, but El-P's live show doesn't quite match the awesome sound that the album has. In fact, on of my favorite things about C4C was how great it sounded. It was a shame.

The show was still fun though, the venue was packed and everyone was pretty much wasted.

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

I doubt any sound man but the best in the industry with the best sound system could do El's sonics any justice. Too complex, too bass-heavy, and pretty much every frequency band is occupied. Already said I'm looking forward to the show but I'm assuming it'll be a bit more of the same.

DJ Primate

Post by DJ Primate »

QWALMS wrote:I doubt any sound man but the best in the industry with the best sound system could do El's sonics any justice. Too complex, too bass-heavy, and pretty much every frequency band is occupied. Already said I'm looking forward to the show but I'm assuming it'll be a bit more of the same.
Exactly. I think El's high quality standard kinda had my expectations too high. The show was still dope, though. El-P himself was on point (nh).

DLG

Post by DLG »

If you're going to have a live band playing you should get rid of the backing track entirely and work out a way to adapt your music to that setting imo. that's the only way to avoid a clusterfuck.

myself

Post by myself »

It seems like he's only interested in performing tracks ( on tv shows, at least) when he can utilize all of Chin-Chin, Activator, and other random guests in some capacity.

On record I barely even notice the random indie-rockish guests like the dude from Interpol. They certainly don't need to feature some other weirdo covering such an integral part. Though I guess i am somewhat amused by all the twitter reactions to the "weird band El-P with the lady gaga impersonator" and this "new generic white rapper with the Village People band."

That said, I do like "Stay Down" and enjoyed the Nick Diamonds assisted Letterman appearance.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

DLG wrote:If you're going to have a live band playing you should get rid of the backing track entirely and work out a way to adapt your music to that setting imo. that's the only way to avoid a clusterfuck.
i disagree.
live drums can't fill the room the way programmed drums do.
but i'm an old idiot and my opinions on such matters mean zilch.

Dids

Post by Dids »

Unless they're totally breaking down what's on stage now - there's not room for a live band for tonight's show.

perabigail

Post by perabigail »

DJ Primate wrote:
Dids wrote:I love El-P's music, but he makes weird choices with his live show.
Agreed. I saw his show when he stopped by Austin. All acts leading up to El were dope. Despot was great, eXquire was crazy, and Killer Mike had a pretty interesting set (lots of R.A.P. Music tracks, but also some from the Pledge series and early guest verses). Although when El came on stage, the pace went down quite a bit. His angsty/dramatic presence was pretty contrasting from the rest of the show.
hmm i saw the show in phoenix the other night and i didn't feel the pace go down at all. it was loud as fuck (in a good way) and while the show was already great leading up to him, his set really took it over the top.

DLG

Post by DLG »

sean wrote:
DLG wrote:If you're going to have a live band playing you should get rid of the backing track entirely and work out a way to adapt your music to that setting imo. that's the only way to avoid a clusterfuck.
i disagree.
you can trigger the drums and pretty much pull the exact samples you are using on record from the module. no?

Dids

Post by Dids »

Show was pretty solid.

Despot was great, for a guy whose style is kinda yell-y, it translated well live, with a lot of clarity. He's fucking tiny.

Esquire was good but short.

Killer Mike was great- maybe a bit long for my taste. I also have a real hard time with the crowd of middle class white kids who weren't born or aware during Regan's presidency getting so chanty along with that one song. In general I think I'm just kind "I hate kids". I mean shit- I could move through a crowd and hit less people than some of these clowns when I was 150 lbs heavier. (to their credit the crowd was pretty live and into it)

El-P was really good- he did the new album straight through. Had a few live drums, which were good, and the keytar, which wasn't at all (one of the things I typically like about hip-hop is that it avoids the rambling, noisy excess of guitar work, and this was a whole lot of that). His encore was "Everything Must Go", "Vital Nerve" (which was awesome for me to see live) and Deep Space 9mm.

Also seeing shows sober is less that ideal.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

DLG wrote:
sean wrote:
i disagree.
you can trigger the drums and pretty much pull the exact samples you are using on record from the module. no?
yep. i guess i misinterpretted you, because i assumed when you said "entirely" you meant "get rid of the original samples."