El-P - Cancer for Cure

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

Despite what was possibly the most offensive vomit stench I've ever encountered lingering in the air, I had a blast at the Seattle show.

Despot killed it; the system sounded like it was built for the Ratatat beats and he projects really well. Between-song banter is pretty good too.

Exquire's set was rowdy as fuck but his hypeman (Goldie Glo) was terrible and his mic was leveled way above Exquire's. Goldie basically hyped the beginning of the lines and stayed silent when Exquire would cut out. Hilarious. I made some comment about "worst hypeman ever" to one of my boys and some guy leaned over and said "I dunno man, you ever seen Public Enemy?" :lol:

Killer Mike's shit was insane. He did some acapellas here and there for emphasis which usually isn't my cup of tea but it worked well. People lost their shit when he played "Neva Scared", "Kryptonite" and "The Whole World" but I could tell the crowd was split between folks that know Mike since the A.D.I.D.A.S. days and people who now know him because he did a record with El-P.

El-P was ridiculous. Did C4C all the way through which I really appreciated. I almost feel like any of his older stuff would have felt out of place for some reason. Encore was "Automatic", "Deep Space 9MM" and some verses over "Children's Story" and "Can I Kick It". Pretty dope moment.

Overall amazing show except for Exquire and Mike rocking over their vocal tracks. That shit has got to stop.

:didntread:

zombie

Post by zombie »

QWALMS wrote: Exquire and Mike rocking over their vocal tracks. That shit has got to stop.:
I keep hearing about people doing this. what exactly does this mean, what is going on there. it doesnt make any sense to me could somebody explain please.

Dids

Post by Dids »

Because I'm me- I was there when doors openedm The vomit smell was there to start the night. So nasty n

DLG

Post by DLG »

zombie wrote:
QWALMS wrote: Exquire and Mike rocking over their vocal tracks. That shit has got to stop.:
I keep hearing about people doing this. what exactly does this mean, what is going on there. it doesnt make any sense to me could somebody explain please.
it means that they are rapping over their full songs like you would hear them on the CD, not just the instrumentals.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Here's an interview I did with El-P for Citypages that went up today where we discussed his live show, his history in Minneapolis, the Weatherman album and a few other things - http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/2 ... erview.php
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

zombie

Post by zombie »

DLG wrote:
zombie wrote:
it means that they are rapping over their full songs like you would hear them on the CD, not just the instrumentals.
why the fuck would anyone do that

The Road

Post by The Road »

Slaughterhouse - Hammer Dance (El-P Remix)
http://new.official.fm/tracks/Dxt5

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

zombie wrote:
DLG wrote:
zombie wrote:
sometimes rappers or producers don't hold onto or give out all their instrumentals to everyone involved.

sometime people use instrumentals with half the vocals in on some hypeman shit.

when i saw ASAP Rocky perform, half of his tracks had instrumentals, and the other didn't.

usually "album cuts" won't have instrumentals (they used to call the instrumentals "TV Tracks", by the way) and mainly radio singles will have instrumentals.

Killer Mike has an instrumental version of his album included in the vinyl purchase of his wax, so why Trackstar the DJ is using a vocal cut of "Reagan", and it's horrible because Mike doesn't stay on top of his vocals at all.

DLG

Post by DLG »

El-P remixed a slaughterhouse track

http://new.official.fm/tracks/Dxt5

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

will El-P remix a Slaughterhouse track in the near future?

DLG

Post by DLG »

missed it, sorry bro!!

Lid

Post by Lid »

sleazy_j wrote:
zombie wrote:
DLG wrote:
zombie wrote:
sometimes rappers or producers don't hold onto or give out all their instrumentals to everyone involved.

sometime people use instrumentals with half the vocals in on some hypeman shit.

when i saw ASAP Rocky perform, half of his tracks had instrumentals, and the other didn't.

usually "album cuts" won't have instrumentals (they used to call the instrumentals "TV Tracks", by the way) and mainly radio singles will have instrumentals.

Killer Mike has an instrumental version of his album included in the vinyl purchase of his wax, so why Trackstar the DJ is using a vocal cut of "Reagan", and it's horrible because Mike doesn't stay on top of his vocals at all.
i was annoyed by this also, but mike's set was so raw, i kinda said fuckit. but i usually hate when anyone raps over their vocals. shit is real juvenile

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Yeah I hate that shit usually, but Mike has enough charisma to pull it off. I thought he killed in Chicago.

Slaughter House remix bangs. Those guys suck though.

wuk

Post by wuk »

Brougham33 wrote:Yeah I hate that shit usually, but Mike has enough charisma to pull it off. I thought he killed in Chicago.

Slaughter House remix bangs. Those guys suck though.
he was okay...definitely has charisma and stage presence like a motherfucker, but it was really painful over some of the slower tracks like reagan where you could hear two distinct voices. he's really gotta knock that shit off and just get a decent hype man that can finish lines for him.
ryebread mixes. <--------download

Dids

Post by Dids »

From watching him on stage and briefly running into him off-stage, Mike's hypeman might need to be on like 13% less drugs.

myself

Post by myself »

Dids wrote:From watching him on stage and briefly running into him off-stage, Mike's hypeman might need to be on like 13% less drugs.
He has a hypeman? He has DJ Trackstar, who seemed to be doing a little double duty when I saw them.

Exquire's hypeman, on the other hand, was in and out of the crowd and all over the place the whole show.

myself

Post by myself »

And when I saw Killer Mike I didn't really perceive any of the backing track issues, at least it didn't detract from the performance in any way. Like I alluded to above, he didn't have a hypeman, but his DJ seemed to be filling in a little there, and he wasn't in obvious need of one.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

Slaughter House Remix instrumental would be an awesome idea.

Guun

Post by Guun »

Brougham33 wrote:Slaughter House remix bangs. Those guys suck though.

Dids

Post by Dids »

myself wrote:
Dids wrote:From watching him on stage and briefly running into him off-stage, Mike's hypeman might need to be on like 13% less drugs.
He has a hypeman? He has DJ Trackstar, who seemed to be doing a little double duty when I saw them.

Exquire's hypeman, on the other hand, was in and out of the crowd and all over the place the whole show.
Yeah- I was thinking of Exquire- my bad. Killer Mike actually made a point of not having one (and then later maybe kinda needed one in at least one spot).

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

Dids wrote:
myself wrote:

Yeah- I was thinking of Exquire- my bad. Killer Mike actually made a point of not having one (and then later maybe kinda needed one in at least one spot).
:omgracist:

will cop a ticket tonight. anyone remember what the set list was like? asides from c4c, mike's current joint, and huzzah... what else?

Dids

Post by Dids »

Despot did stuff from his album with Ratatatatatat and closed with Crap Arists.

Huzzah was the only song I recognized with X, but it's the only song I know from him (total tease too- because El came out to hug him as it started so I figured with Despot there they might do bits from the remix).

Mike did Never Scared, Whole World and something else older that I can't remember.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Providence was fun. the angriest little city in america was not disappointed. Kind of embarrassed by the gang of jerkoffs el had to endure before he got backstage
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

perabigail

Post by perabigail »

Kony Montana wrote:Providence was fun. the angriest little city in america was not disappointed. Kind of embarrassed by the gang of jerkoffs el had to endure before he got backstage

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

despot has his best Mitch Hedberg impression down pretty well

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

DC show sold out. :owens: Procrastination's a bitch.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

can't go either. hard times and work came up.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

myself

Post by myself »

axel foley wrote:DC show sold out. :owens: Procrastination's a bitch.
Sucks for you, but good for them. It was kind of depressing to me to see them in a 400 capacity venue with plenty of room.

myself

Post by myself »

Dids wrote:Despot did stuff from his album with Ratatatatatat and closed with Crap Arists.

Huzzah was the only song I recognized with X, but it's the only song I know from him (total tease too- because El came out to hug him as it started so I figured with Despot there they might do bits from the remix).

Mike did Never Scared, Whole World and something else older that I can't remember.
I had a 3 hour drive to the show I saw and got lost, so I missed Despot and most of ExQuire. I feel like he just did Huzzah for 15-20 minutes that I saw. Despot was on stage with him doing something and was out for Tougher Colder Killer, of course, but I only heard him, never saw him until he came walking through the crowd. Mike did "Kryptonite" and "God in the Building" in addition to what you mentioned. All the 30 year old white guys went crazy when he asked who smoked weed and then played Kryptonite. There were also a few Exquire impersonators..or something in my crowd.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

myself wrote:
Dids wrote: Mike did "Kryptonite" and "God in the Building" in addition to what you mentioned.
he also did "Ready Set Go" at my show; I'd imagine he continued doing that one.
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/00FL7TpCdy8?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/00FL7TpCdy8?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>