billy woods

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Ned Ryerson
Location: with my helmet on you can't tell me i'm not in space.

Re: billy woods

Post by Ned Ryerson »

Blockhead wrote:
Ned Ryerson wrote:album is amazing. trying to force myself to put other music in the rotation so i don't play this out by the weekend...

sample at the end of Hack about getting hit by a train is terrifying. everytime i listen to the song i get anxious waiting for that to kick in

block, you doing any of the beats on the album with elucid?
I think I got a track on there...if not on the album, on a mixtape related to it. I'm also probably gonna remix something off the album as well.
enjoyable. looking forward to it

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

This has excellent replay value, congrats to Bloak on producing 2 of the best albums this year.

You likely hear this all the time, and it's gotta be annoying, but an Aesop album fully produced by Blockhead needs to happen. As much as I love the production on Skelethon, Aesop over stuff like tumbleweed or your Zero Dark Thirty remix will always be >>>.

Lid

Post by Lid »

:bow: pro wrestling is amazing

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Don't love the review but it's kind of an honor for homeboy to review it. I'm a fan of his.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Weak synth melody leads...

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Employee wrote:Weak synth melody leads...
Cuts like a knife in my soul.
Weirdly there isn't even a synth on that song. Also, his critique of "One thousand nights" being just a loop. That was the point...that, the intro and outro were all loops. it was kinda like the albums intermission. But, whatever, at least he liked it.

BARRY LURKIN

Post by BARRY LURKIN »

LOL DOOR CANDY. BLOKE IS THE WORST.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

BARRY LURKIN wrote:LOL DOOR CANDY. BLOKE IS THE WORST.
i guess your attention span didn't get to the point where he explained the word "Dour" and it's definition during the video.

i personally don't think the actual word "dour" was intended in the album title, but i could be wrong.

BARRY LURKIN

Post by BARRY LURKIN »

YEA NAH MISSED THAT HE'S STILL THE WORST.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

sleazy_j wrote:
BARRY LURKIN wrote:LOL DOOR CANDY. BLOKE IS THE WORST.
i guess your attention span didn't get to the point where he explained the word "Dour" and it's definition during the video.

i personally don't think the actual word "dour" was intended in the album title, but i could be wrong.
It was definitely intended. It's play on "sour candy".

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

i figured that, block.

like how meth's "release yo self" is "release yo delf"

and words like dolo, dun, etc.

switch S out for D.

but, i didn't know "dour" was a real word...

Post by 360 »

BARRY LURKIN wrote:YEA NAH MISSED THAT HE'S STILL THE WORST.

Don't worry, he still mispronounced the word as he explained the meaning of it. lol

Versive

Post by Versive »

Weird, I didn't see this album as a story-based concept record at all really. Maybe that's because I know billy's been referencing the drug trade and inventing characters throughout his albums for as long as he's been making them.

Anybody else think Moka Only's verse is the album's low point?

Bear

Post by Bear »

idk. I liked it. It was interesting to hear a "calm" MC like Moka (and OME) together with someone like Elucid and woods. (Similar to Frozen Sunlight)

I don't see it as a story based concept album, neither. Maybe Block can say smth about that.
Billy's been referencing a lot of his old(er) work, though but I think that this was part of Dour Candy being more of a personal album. And yeah billy used to make drug(deal) references all the time - especially on Emergency Powers

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Woods has explained it as a "lifestyle" album as told by someone who's life isn't exactly awesome. It's loosely based around drugs and sex but in a way rap albums never really approach it. Flawed and low level at times. I'd guess it's part autobiographical, part fiction. OBviously, a song like "one thousand and one nights" which refers to meeting a girl as a bad in 82' isn't a true story, while Gilgamesh may have more truth to it.
As for the albums concept, there certainly is one but it's not some sort of exact narrative. He told me that after HWAM, he woke up the next day being the same guy with same life as he was before that album. This is an album about that. All the anger and force from HWAM was exhausted and ,after that, this is what you're left with...
At least that's how i understand it. Woods is a much more verbose and concise thinker than I am (Duh) so he could explain it better but that's the most basic explanation I can give.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

we need a blockhead behind the beat video

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

AWAE wrote:we need a blockhead behind the beat video
:pause:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Blockhead wrote:Woods has explained it as a "lifestyle" album as told by someone who's life isn't exactly awesome. It's loosely based around drugs and sex but in a way rap albums never really approach it. Flawed and low level at times. I'd guess it's part autobiographical, part fiction. OBviously, a song like "one thousand and one nights" which refers to meeting a girl as a bad in 82' isn't a true story, while Gilgamesh may have more truth to it.
As for the albums concept, there certainly is one but it's not some sort of exact narrative. He told me that after HWAM, he woke up the next day being the same guy with same life as he was before that album. This is an album about that. All the anger and force from HWAM was exhausted and ,after that, this is what you're left with...
At least that's how i understand it. Woods is a much more verbose and concise thinker than I am (Duh) so he could explain it better but that's the most basic explanation I can give.

PLEASE SHARE ALL OF YOUR ANALYSES.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Employee wrote:
PLEASE SHARE ALL OF YOUR ANAL

:pause:

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Reviewed it- http://thoughtontracks.com/2013/07/10/a ... our-candy/

Look out for my track by track interview w/ woods next week.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

:cheers:

fourize

Post by fourize »

Took me a minute to really get into it, but this album is just more greatness from Billy (Block too). Manteca is, right now, my favorite Woods song ever. :cheers:

Versive

Post by Versive »

unclebengi wrote:Reviewed it- http://thoughtontracks.com/2013/07/10/a ... our-candy/

Nice work as always.

I think woods is also talking about a gypsy cab driver on "Hack."

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

thanks, yeah I saw the cab driver references, but thought there were some double entendre's there, don't have the lyrics in front of me though. Wouldn't be the first time I've misinterpretted a woods verse and I'm sure I'll find out about a couple more misinterpretations in the interview. Breaking down his verses is difficult, but it's super rewarding.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

OK, didn't know what a gypsy cab driver was, that ties up the loose ends. Good call.

Bear

Post by Bear »

Great review!
I do disagree with one point, though. I don't see how this is "warmer" or "more traditional" than Billy's prior work. I mean SCFB was "warm" (especially Cape Verde and except for Indonesia). Both Camouflage and The Chalice had Indie-East Coast beats. Reavers had. All Things Considered That Was A Long Time Ago, too. Even HWAM had songs like "The Wake".

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Indie-East Coast beats from the early to mid 2000's are not throwback, boom bap hip hop. You could probably find a handful of songs that truly resemble boom bap throughout his career, but not many. Warm might have been the wrong word to use, but I was referring to "Central Park" specifically and its boom bappy beat and scratched chorus. The way woods rhymes over it is lighter than usual too. It just seems like a different song for woods IMO. That sound is not representative of the rest of Dour Candy though and I never claimed it was. I've always loved woods' ear for beats and love the progressive, creative stuff. I do think it would be interesting though to hear him over a whole album of boom bappy/scratched chorus beats if it was done right.

Also, there are several warm beats on Cape Verde, mostly from Willie Green. But even though Green makes warm beats with a lot of soul, it's not throwback or boom bap, especially with the way he does his drums.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Yeah, I understand the "these beats are totally different that what woods raps over" thing from people who just got put on by HWAM but barring Indonesia, SCFB was rapping over beats not that stylistically different from these.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Totally agree and never made that point. Just pointed out that "Central Park" specifically feels a little different to me. The scratched chorus and bright, bouncy beat isn't typical. I'm not saying there aren't any songs he's made that have that sound, but I can't think of any off the top.

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

unclebengi wrote:Reviewed it- http://thoughtontracks.com/2013/07/10/a ... our-candy/

Nice review and definitely looking forward to the track by track breakdown.