The A&R Game #1

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

i'll put up a new thread on thursday. there has been a few good replies and if people want to invest the time i'm sure there could be a few more good ones.

Rob Sonic

Post by Rob Sonic »

I'm easy since I've had multiple A&R's

A&R 1, your dope and right now no white boys are keeping it real besides Milk Bone and shit, i'll line up the showcases in the hood!!!

Me: I don't think the race card should be put out there like that its going to skew peoples vision, Him: I know my business you just rap? Result thrown in front of people as a token "hood white" complete with almost being jumped back stage rocked 1 showcase did alright, I asked out of a pretty big contract before getting money.

A&R 2. you guys sold 1900 singles on your own, that's dope we'll sign you for 10 grand just do you. Sold 12,500 albums saw no royalty's wanted to sue label folded

A&R 3. Yeah lets do it. might as well cause we are crew anyway, signed for potentially 3 albums first album received some good press but didn't sell very well as the fan base seemed to not connect with me, 2nd album received virtually no support as the label was probably racking up debt on me at this point record was barley on anyone's radar sold even worse. Label folded before third album.

Present day. no deal.

tahdahhhhhh!
NICE CAT!

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

mike eagle wrote:
hessbz12 wrote:Time to move on to new artists?
I nominate me, keen, and rob sonic
THE rob sonic?

(hi rob)

Rob Sonic

Post by Rob Sonic »

thekeentwo wrote:
mike eagle wrote:
hessbz12 wrote:Time to move on to new artists?
I nominate me, keen, and rob sonic
THE rob sonic?

(hi rob)
hi...I am not (the real) Rob Sonic
NICE CAT!

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Intuition - Have a nice vibe to some of your music and I would definately get you to put out Atmosphere like music. I'd try and get your production similar to Al Bundy, like Elevator Music. Put out a laid back album filled with slick rhymes and emotional shit for the girls to eat up. Get some features from Slug and Murs and then put you on the road with Atmosphere and see how it goes. Don't think you're amazing and not really type, but there is definately some money to be made without spending too much.

Ardamus - Nothing too much here. You're pretty decent and so is your music, but I don't see you getting out of that zone. Probably wouldn't sign you because I don't see the market for the "blue collar" rappers being too big with you being near the bottom.

Icon - You're a good rapper, but that's about it. I think you kind of fucked up by not capitalizig off of the entire Copywrite thing. Most of your music is boring and just there to me. I think if you could take it up a level with your rapping you would be better off. If I were to sign you I would just get you some dusty, grimy boom bap beats to rap on and ship you overseas to make some money touring.

Edit: Also, rofl @ a bunch of JMT fans on your videos saying "fuck this guy, Ikon the Verbal Hollogram is better!" Knock out Vinnie Paz and I'll sign you right now. :cheers:

Dids

Post by Dids »

Here's the only thought I had with regards to Tui. The guys he tours with and does shows with aren't making music that's as commercially viable as his. I love OME and Nocando, but they're not making music that has the same potential to appeal to 16 year old girls like Tui does.

If Tui could get himself a spot opening for somebody like Slug or do more things to expose himself to a fanbase that would be receptive to his music, there's some potential there.

Given that RSE has artists significantly worse than Tui signed right now, you'd hope this would be a no-brainer collaboration. Put Evidence's boring ass ass in a corner somewhere and get Tui that 15 year old girl money.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Fuck marketing Intuition to girls. Ya'll are seriously undermining his lyrical ability, nh.

Dids

Post by Dids »

Lyrical ability doesn't make money.

Girls do.

Yes, Tui is a dope rapper, but the fact that he does so with his shirt off and hot girls will drive 3 hours to see him play is probably more marketable long term.

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

thread :lol:

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

This is a "thanks but no thanks" kinda thread. Entertaining.
KITFUNK wrote:Fuck marketing Intuition to girls. Ya'll are seriously undermining his lyrical ability, nh.
Like I said before, remember who's the A&R in some of these responses.

http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122161
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

ardamus wrote:This is a "thanks but no thanks" kinda thread. Entertaining.
KITFUNK wrote:Fuck marketing Intuition to girls. Ya'll are seriously undermining his lyrical ability, nh.

I like Intuition's music. Guilty. What's your point?

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

KITFUNK wrote:
ardamus wrote:This is a "thanks but no thanks" kinda thread. Entertaining.

I like Intuition's music. Guilty. What's your point?
Not you, man. Click on the thread and see what its about.
Hell, I got all of Tui's shit. Even helped him get some airplay on XM once.
Being an A&R starts with who that person is, IMO. Because its going to be based on that person's tastes and possibly other aspects of their life. Thats all I was saying.

I actually respected your opinion by the way. No hate, fam. You like Collective Efforts so, you're good in my book so far.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

i think his point is that the guy who wants to market tui to girls is the same guy who the board is unsuccessfully trying to get laid.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

sean wrote:i think his point is that the guy who wants to market tui to girls is the same guy who the board is unsuccessfully trying to get laid.
i owe you a beer next time i see you. :cheers:

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

sean wrote:i think his point is that the guy who wants to market tui to girls is the same guy who the board is unsuccessfully trying to get laid.
to be fair, dids has confirmed that i play a significant roll on his date rap mix cd.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

to be fair, i wasn't taking a shot at dids, just helping articulate ardy's point for a non-reading kitfunk.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

intuition wrote:
to be fair, dids has confirmed that i play a significant roll on his date rape mix cd.
fixed!

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

bwahahahhaha....that was actually a typo on my part. i forgot the e in my post. ruined my own fucking joke.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

intuition wrote:bwahahahhaha....that was actually a typo on my part. i forgot the e in my post. ruined my own fucking joke.
:rofl:

i know i don't fuck with Dids like that but i'm not trying to bash him with that shit. just something i think if we're gonna play this game, you can't trip if the tables get turned and the A&R gets looked at.

and that could be perceived in a positive way, too. keen knows folks in the industry and seen how the shit works. as well as ALASKA. i'll listen to them more than some of the others. DLG's point i respect because thats partly true about me. the way my life is, i can't afford to lose some of the shit i have lined up for myself and i work in the business.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i think you guys are missing a nuance here - tui should be marketed as lyrically lyrical rapper to the kinds of girls refer to themselves as 'hiphop headz' without a trace of irony and post pics of themselves wearing huge headphones on facebook

i'm still not fucking with it until i hear 'hoes on my dick cause i got chest hair like tom selleck' though
Last edited by drizzle on Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

drizzle wrote:
i'm still not fucking with it until i hear 'hoes on my dick cause i got chest hair like tom selleck' though

i have a line on the buzz EP where i say "i'm on that ol' tom selleck / hairy, handsome, tight pants..and eighties sitcom relic."

mission accomplished.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

SIGNED!

now all ur groupies belong to us
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

sean wrote:to be fair, i wasn't taking a shot at dids, just helping articulate ardy's point for a non-reading kitfunk.
Thanks for clarifying. Reading is overrated.

Dids

Post by Dids »

I always heard that line as "Harry Hamlin", which makes sense if I didn't know what Tui looked like.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

Intuition: Seems to me to be the most developed and marketable artist that I know that isnt already a cog in someone's machine. Im not his hugest fan because Im not necessarily in his target demo, but aside from a brief stint of him removing his shirt at every show, I think he's doing absolutley everything right. I feel like if this were 5 years ago he'd be enormous. Could also be that he's a bit misplaced out here amongst the weirdos. I guess if I was an A&R I'd have him set up shop in a smaller market and run that shit til somebody takes notice.

Ardy: I would say keep doing what he's doing but do some shit to add some unpredictability and mystique to his persona aka shit to make white people pay attention. Maybe we just lie and say you were homeless for a while or that you were born in jail. Any way we could make it seem like you defied the odds by not becoming a world class rape-murderer. It would probably help if you were occasionally accused of rape and or murder. At the very least you'd make a fan out of Blastmaster.

Icon: Consistently incredible live show but I havent heard much of his music. I would say go in on somebody big. Big but reachable, though. Start a WWE style beef with Slug or Sage or somebody equally big, white, and somewhat connected to backpackerdom. If you call one of those dudes a sellout on wax you'll take a third of their fans..and they might not even miss 'em!

womp womp

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

mike eagle wrote:Intuition: Seems to me to be the most developed and marketable artist that I know that isnt already a cog in someone's machine. Im not his hugest fan because Im not necessarily in his target demo, but aside from a brief stint of him removing his shirt at every show, I think he's doing absolutley everything right. I feel like if this were 5 years ago he'd be enormous. Could also be that he's a bit misplaced out here amongst the weirdos. I guess if I was an A&R I'd have him set up shop in a smaller market and run that shit til somebody takes notice.
5 years ago Leroy was completely amateurish. His voice was white, whiny and annoying. He has developed one he is way more comfortable using. Also, his material was undeveloped. He is way more polished these days, but I get your point. He missed the bubble but it's definitely not too late. He just needs to align himself with the right people. Those who can benefit his demo and most importantly stay active on the LA tour circuit.

As for Ardamus, everybody is pretty much saying he can be vanilla at times. I just think he needs to rap like he posts when he is Angry Ardamus. [/quote]

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

Philaflava wrote:
mike eagle wrote:Intuition: Seems to me to be the most developed and marketable artist that I know that isnt already a cog in someone's machine. Im not his hugest fan because Im not necessarily in his target demo, but aside from a brief stint of him removing his shirt at every show, I think he's doing absolutley everything right. I feel like if this were 5 years ago he'd be enormous. Could also be that he's a bit misplaced out here amongst the weirdos. I guess if I was an A&R I'd have him set up shop in a smaller market and run that shit til somebody takes notice.
5 years ago Leroy was completely amateurish. His voice was white, whiny and annoying. He has developed one he is way more comfortable using. Also, his material was undeveloped. He is way more polished these days, but I get your point. He missed the bubble but it's definitely not too late. He just needs to align himself with the right people. Those who can benefit his demo and most importantly stay active on the LA tour circuit.

As for Ardamus, everybody is pretty much saying he can be vanilla at times. I just think he needs to rap like he posts when he is Angry Ardamus.
[/quote]

yeah I meant if he were doing exactly what he's doing now five years ago. I do think its difficult for him to align with the right people out here. Everything seems to be extremely progressive or extremely street with not much of a middle ground.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Earl feat. Intuition?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Philaflava wrote:Earl feat. Intuition?

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »