Pete Rock Loses Mind on Lupe

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

DJ Primate

Post by DJ Primate »

Cash Rulz wrote:LUPE DIDN'T MAKE THE BEAT. So this just further's your Lupe hate unnecessarily.
B Side, the guy who made the beat. wrote: It was something he (Lupe) wanted to do.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Pete Rock didn't co-opt the song, faggots. He took a very minor part of it and made it into something better. Wasn't Tom Scott's today a cover anyway? Don't be stupid.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Post/Sig, bro.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Employee wrote:This is a double-page banger about Lupe Fiasco.

GOOD GOD...
no, it's about Pete Rock punking Lupe off for coming up with a very bad idea :cheers:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

My only qualm is if you're on Loopys level.. Holla at Pete first. It's not a bad idea or a sacred cow that shouldn't have been done so much as if you have the access to ask... then ask.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:

GOOD GOD...
no, it's about Pete Rock punking Lupe off for coming up with a very bad idea :cheers:
Still, bro...Lupe.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Employee wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:

GOOD GOD...
Still, bro...Lupe.
:rofl: :copy:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Moolah wrote:The point is that he blatantly (and poorly) bit Pete Rock, not that he used the same sample. He basically recreated the same beat, which unless it's a tribute song or a "remake", isn't that generally considered blatant biting?

This.

People defending this bullshit are acting like the producer independently discovered the sample and coincidentally flipped it the way Pete Rock did. No. The only reason he slapped this beat together is because Pete Rock had already made a classic out of it. It's blatant biting, no different from Jennifer Lopez jacking beats from the Beatnuts and Easy Mo Bee.

zombie

Post by zombie »

sup thun

its beenawhile

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Combo7 wrote:
Moolah wrote:The point is that he blatantly (and poorly) bit Pete Rock, not that he used the same sample. He basically recreated the same beat, which unless it's a tribute song or a "remake", isn't that generally considered blatant biting?

This.

People defending this bullshit are acting like the producer independently discovered the sample and coincidentally flipped it the way Pete Rock did. No. The only reason he slapped this beat together is because Pete Rock had already made a classic out of it. It's blatant biting, no different from Jennifer Lopez jacking beats from the Beatnuts and Easy Mo Bee.
THANK. YOU.

Lupe already had a pretty weak alibi/explanation for this epic fail, and then rightfully backed down and out of this public relations disaster. He blamed it on his producer and his peoples, and kinda fronted like they brought the idea to him, and he just wrote a rap song to some random beat. :bunk:

his excuse was similar to when he fucked up 'Electric Relaxation', and then said "I talked to Q-Tip about it". Well that's nice and all, but you fucked up Phife Dawg's lyrics, and he's the one you should have talked to, bro.

shit is disgusting, B

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Gotta love how a Canuck cretin like Mindbender deems himself worthy to remake songs from Illmatic yet goes into meltdown any time an American rapper rhymes over a classic 90s instrumental.

Far be it from me to defend a rapper that's only really notable due to Ithithkle's patronage and his 2006 XXL blog beef with Bol, but here's some other points nobody has mentioned yet :

Large Professor found the Tom Scott sample and used it first on the It's A Boy remix anyway.

Pete Rock has been known to beatjack previously existing songs like Juice Crew Christmas and The Promo 2 when he used the exact same Booker T & The MGs sample for Don't Curse.

Pete Rock has also been known to indulge in mediocre remakes of golden-era classics himself. Truly Yours '98 anyone?

In addition to the shitty Journalist & Mr Cheeks remake from 2001, Pete Rock also had no problem whoring out his precious tribute song to Mann & Ty$ last year for this abortion since it earned him publishing royalties :

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XpWqUXg6c8s?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XpWqUXg6c8s?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

ALASKA wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:Pete's my dude, but fuck outta here. I wonder if Tom Scott feels as strongly. Or if any of the artist he's sampled feel that same way about what he did with there stuff.

Like Req said, he's just mad he didn't get a check. Cause he certainly didn't care that his "deep emotional song" was getting used on a fuckin' video game that had shit do to with deep or emotional.
this. i love when people who coopt songs get upset about their songs in turn being coopted. that said fuck lupe.
what video game was that song in? yeah, he looped a record, had some classic verses over the beat, and made some money off of what he felt at the time. who knows, he might've thought it paid homage (and other things with a pun intended) to what he has created. all i'm saying, after hearing his story about the track, i can sort of see why Pete is mad.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

It's used in one of the NBA street games and one of the Madden games.

So, apparently, this isn't even the first time Lupe has rapped over an approximation of T.R.O.Y :

Greg Street w/ Lupe Fiasco, Wale & Kardinal Offishall - Dope Boys

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rt1l1K5W_24?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rt1l1K5W_24?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

One imagines Mindbender wont have a problem with Kardinal Offishall rapping over T.R.O.Y the way he has a problem with Lupe rapping over it.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Balkongen Loungin' wrote:Gotta love how a Canuck cretin like Mindbender deems himself worthy to remake songs from Illmatic yet goes into meltdown any time an American rapper rhymes over a classic 90s instrumental.
may we never forget
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M1yY2v4_J4g?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M1yY2v4_J4g?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

wait hold up

mann ft. tys

:spidey:

manntys

did that do that on purpose?
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

I can't believe people are upset over a foundation that hip hop was built on: Sampling and interpolation.

I know it's one of the greatest songs in hip hop and an extremely cherished one. But so were many songs that have been sampled/interpolated/covered. Wow, do we all sound old and crotchety. I imagine this is how a lot of James Brown's fans acted when a lot of his songs were sampled by Dr. Dre and others.

If anything, people should be upset Lupe made a song that is "meh".

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

yeah, i feel like maybe pete is more mad that lupe kinda took the beat/song and turned it into some nu-neo-political shit. if lupe was rapping about his dead homies over the beat, maybe he'd be a little less hot about it?

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Gregg and Piff, you guys are both right.

It's THE WAY you do it that matters most.

And seriously, I can't really think of a song more "holy" than 'They Reminisce Over You'. That's the closest thing to hip hop prayer I think is widely loved by this culture.

You flirt with great and furious anger if you fuck with it.

And sure, I have done tons of mixtape dubs over songs I love. Including "The World Is Yours", in which I did a CLEAR tribute to Nas and Pete Rock with, taking their lyrics and reinterpreting the meaning, but applying it to my own life. But would I make an OFFICIAL release on an album, and resample the same fucking loop that Pete Rock did, and try to ride the wave of nostalgia and emotion that Nas created with his classic song? FUCK NO.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

well, looks like things got settled
http://www.soulculture.co.uk/music-blog ... z1vhWcVdpz
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

lol @ pete rock.

whoever said Pete Rock was trying to get a check wins.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:lol @ pete rock.

whoever said Pete Rock was trying to get a check wins.
That is undoubtedly what this came down to.

Twitter rant produces internet true school outrage produces check for Pete Rock.

And all is well with the universe.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

ardamus wrote:well, looks like things got settled
http://www.soulculture.co.uk/music-blog ... z1vhWcVdpz
:owens: :owens: :owens: :owens: :owens:

:naswtf:

sure, collaborate and make peace. that's fine.

but doing another TROY remake?!? :wtf:

FOR PETE'S SAKE :roll:

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

if the song was hot i wouldnt mind, as much. i still think its a wack idea since its not that old of a song to me.

i really hate that the overall vibe is so different..its kind of robotic in a way..just doesnt snap like TROY and doesnt feel as genuine...

Dids

Post by Dids »

Extra roffles at Bender invoking Clapton as an example of pure rock nobody would dare cover, when 1- that happens a lot 2- Clapton's a terrible example given how much of his work is based around classic Blues standards that everybody's done a version of.

It's not like anything Lupe did make the original TROY worse. Laugh at Lupe for making a bad, un-original song- but Pete Rock has no cause to be upset here. You made a classic song, all this should do is make you feel good that you inspired people. Getting pissy because the ring wasn't kissed correctly or whatever is just lame.

maclethal

Post by maclethal »

Fuck, some of you are out of touch.

There are century old songs that are literally untraceable in terms of who wrote them, that people have been covering/rewriting/remaking for YEEEEEARS. Old hymnals etc. Covering songs is an extremely common thing in the rock/blues/folk/country world. It's done EVERY DAY. Not just by tribute bands. A Perfect Circle covered "Imagine" by John Lennon. "Stairway to Heaven" has been covered and remade so many times, that it's considered untouchable because it's been DONE SO MANY TIMES.

Pete Rock is attacking Lupe for not creating "original music." Hmm. I wasn't aware that sampling a loop meant you were creating original music. I know producers think pitch shifting, tailoring, and adding drums to, samples, is comparable to being classically trained in the harpsichord, but get real.

Whether or not Lupe's version of this song is "hot" or "good," is a matter of opinion. The simple facts are that just about every single song Pete Rock has sampled in some way, shape, or form could have been potentially degrading to the original artist who actually played the instruments and recorded whatever he sampled. And he did a lot of that without permission.

Hip-hop takes itself a weeeeeeeee bit too serious sometimes. It's funny that the genre that requires the least amount of musicianship is the genre with the most people complaining about their music being ripped off.

A tuna that smells like pussy is better than a pussy that smells like tuna. -Anonymous

zombie

Post by zombie »

I honestly could not give one single sh*t about any of this.

It's just some loser rapper sampling a prehistoric beat.

#WOW #WOAH

get over it.

page 4.

zombie

Post by zombie »

haha

didnt read the last mac lethal post.

never thought it'd be sharing more or less the same opinion

zombie

Post by zombie »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
Balkongen Loungin' wrote:Gotta love how a Canuck cretin like Mindbender deems himself worthy to remake songs from Illmatic yet goes into meltdown any time an American rapper rhymes over a classic 90s instrumental.
may we never forget
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M1yY2v4_J4g?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M1yY2v4_J4g?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

is this real life?

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

maclethal wrote:Fuck, some of you are out of touch.

There are century old songs that are literally untraceable in terms of who wrote them, that people have been covering/rewriting/remaking for YEEEEEARS. Old hymnals etc. Covering songs is an extremely common thing in the rock/blues/folk/country world. It's done EVERY DAY. Not just by tribute bands. A Perfect Circle covered "Imagine" by John Lennon. "Stairway to Heaven" has been covered and remade so many times, that it's considered untouchable because it's been DONE SO MANY TIMES.

Pete Rock is attacking Lupe for not creating "original music." Hmm. I wasn't aware that sampling a loop meant you were creating original music. I know producers think pitch shifting, tailoring, and adding drums to, samples, is comparable to being classically trained in the harpsichord, but get real.

Whether or not Lupe's version of this song is "hot" or "good," is a matter of opinion. The simple facts are that just about every single song Pete Rock has sampled in some way, shape, or form could have been potentially degrading to the original artist who actually played the instruments and recorded whatever he sampled. And he did a lot of that without permission.

Hip-hop takes itself a weeeeeeeee bit too serious sometimes. It's funny that the genre that requires the least amount of musicianship is the genre with the most people complaining about their music being ripped off.

You're completely missing the point. When a producer of rap music samples another artist's work, he's taking a piece of that work and shaping it into something different, layering other things around it, etc. He takes someone else's work and creates something entirely new out of it.

Lupe's song does nothing but attempt to recreate the beat that Pete Rock built out of the Tom Scott song. There's no comparison.

zombie

Post by zombie »

Combo7 wrote:When a producer of rap music samples another artist's work, he's taking a piece of that work and shaping it into something different, layering other things around it, etc. He takes someone else's work and creates something entirely new out of it.
whatever lets you sleep at night