Passin' Me By
6%

Total votes: 69

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: Pick your favorite Westcoast chill track

Post by Employee »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Employee wrote: what year did you start listening to rap?
Oooooh, authenticity wars. :arrow:

In any case, '89, but I was in fifth grade so it was a weird collection of shit. Probably not seriously until '91 or so when I had a "job" (mowing lawns, babysitting, etc.) and had my own money to buy albums, though.

Wasn't funcrusher out for a long time but didn't have national distro? I remember reading about it and people talking about it and trading tapes in the East Bay, but it wasn't in Amoeba until much later. IIRC shit wasn't actuality "out" on the West Coast until Mystik Journeymen were already off Telegraph.
Your rap memories are Sebastian as fuck.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Employee wrote: Your rap memories are Sebastian as fuck.
So it didn't take awhile for Funcrusher to be officially out on the West Coast, or it did?

Your responses are Employee as fuck.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Oh wait, I want to retract using "flip" positively. Your first paragraphs fair point though.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

ackbar wrote:i listened to hiero & pharcyde when they were first out. they were hugely popular here. but so was too $hort & gangster rap

more than geographical divides.. i remember groups like souls & pharcyde being popular w/ skateboard/pothead kids

Same thing in the Bay in that at the time people were mostly listening to everything (everyone listening to No Need For Alarm was also listening to Ruthless By Law).

IIRC shit didn't really bifurcate in terms of audiences until around 97ish, when a bunch of people who didn't really like rap music decided that shit like Dr. Octagon and Endtroducing were the greatest things that ever happened, and then they become gigantic Anticon fans and were obsessed with post-downfall Hiero releases and shit like Plain Rap that nobody else really wanted to listen to. It was mostly nerds who, yeah, quickly became potheads and skateboarders.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Larry2times wrote:Oh wait, I want to retract using "flip" positively.
:omgracist:
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

i hate dr dre but let me ride is such an ill beat. Went with passin me by - even though a large part of me (:pause:) never wants to hear that song again, it's still undeniably good.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Blockhead wrote:I agree 100% on del's debut shitting on his second. He was also one of the first to really delve into that sound. Before dre totally popularized it. Del's second album seemed to drop the ball where Soul of mischief first album succeeded , beatwise.
But your "flipping" point is kinda dead cause no one really "flipped" those samples. They all looped them the same way and, sometimes, just layered drum tracks under them. Dre is really the main dude who took them to another level. The majority of west coast shit that used to loops were far lazier than he was.
khayree? cold 187um? ant banks??
even if banks would sample/interpolate a known track he would have live drums, keys, bass (before dre if i'm not mistaken) w/ pee wee, shorty b et al. not to mention the earlier 808 era. arguing whether it's "harder" than flipping a rare jazz record is pointless.. but dangerous crew def had a well thought out musical approach to that style of production & could never be written off as "lazy"

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

drizzle wrote:
Larry2times wrote:Oh wait, I want to retract using "flip" positively.
:omgracist:
Is this gonna descend into a turntabilism debate

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

so much wtf in this here thread

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

ackbar wrote:khayree? cold 187um? ant banks??
even if banks would sample/interpolate a known track he would have live drums, keys, bass (before dre if i'm not mistaken) w/ pee wee, shorty b et al. not to mention the earlier 808 era. arguing whether it's "harder" than flipping a rare jazz record is pointless.. but dangerous crew def had a well thought out musical approach to that style of production & could never be written off as "lazy"
Yeah I probably shouldnt have argued the merits of g-funk by focusing on sampling either, my mistake

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

AWAE wrote:so much wtf in this here thread

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

it's all a matter of taste. plenty of people think ant banks is a better producer than pete rock, regulate is a better flip than daytona 500 & tone capone is more of an unsung genius than easy moe bee

alpha

Post by alpha »

noone thinks ant banks is better than pete rock, lay off the drugs.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

alpha wrote:noone thinks ant banks is better than pete rock, lay off the drugs.
You don't live in the Bay Area, Central Valley, or Sacramento if you believe that.

alpha

Post by alpha »

ackbar wrote:i listened to hiero & pharcyde when they were first out. they were hugely popular here. but so was too $hort & gangster rap

more than geographical divides.. i remember groups like souls & pharcyde being popular w/ skateboard/pothead kids
you were the most gangster 8 year old ever.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Employee wrote:
You don't live in the Bay Area, Central Valley, or Sacramento if you believe that.
Pete Rock is in my Top 3 all-time, so i'm biased.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

alpha wrote:
Employee wrote:
Pete Rock is in my Top 3 all-time, so i'm biased.
Absolutely. He's GOAT status. I've heard such absurd proclamations about Bay Area producers is all I'm saying. I'm not talking about big names either; shitty little Korg Triton neophytes getting slobbed over like they're Cam Crillz.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

ackbar wrote:
Blockhead wrote:I agree 100% on del's debut shitting on his second. He was also one of the first to really delve into that sound. Before dre totally popularized it. Del's second album seemed to drop the ball where Soul of mischief first album succeeded , beatwise.
But your "flipping" point is kinda dead cause no one really "flipped" those samples. They all looped them the same way and, sometimes, just layered drum tracks under them. Dre is really the main dude who took them to another level. The majority of west coast shit that used to loops were far lazier than he was.
khayree? cold 187um? ant banks??
"flipping" means actually doing something with the sample other than looping it. In that sense, a lot of producers (myself included) don't always flip every sample they use.
As for the Dangerous crew, Honestly, they were on some bar band funk shit. They played their own shit and replayed samples live for other stuff but , honestly, I HATED their shit back then and I still don't give a fuck about it now. It was like Nu-blues sounding licks, recorded badly over flimsy ass drums that only had low end (snares where not their forte). Granted, EXTREME east coast bias in full effect right here but even from a strictly musical level, they were a third rate Dre or a second rate Dj Quik at best. People from the west coast are probably mad :jaz: right now at that statement, but fuck it. That shit always sucked to me. Obviously Too short has joints but it was more about him than the music, imo.
Also, speaking of cold 187um, I'd bet my life you were not listening to Above the law when they dropped...cause you're in your 20's still and the thought of an 8 year old ackbar thizzing out to "murder rap" is beyond comical.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

^ :fail:

Terrible.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Employee wrote:^ :fail:

Terrible.
It's cool bro, you can listen to ant banks in your flip flops and shorts while driving with the top down. I ain't about that life.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Blockhead wrote:

Terrible.
It's cool bro, you can listen to ant banks in your flip flops and shorts while driving with the top down. I ain't about that life.
Are you crying?

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Employee wrote:
Blockhead wrote:

Terrible.
Are you crying?
No, are you? Did my opinion on the production work of the dangerous crew rattle your soul? I hope not. after all, I did preempt it with
Granted, EXTREME east coast bias in full effect right here
Figured that would lessen the blow for all you west siders.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Blockhead wrote:
Employee wrote:
Blockhead wrote:

Terrible.
Are you crying?
No, are you? Did my opinion on the production work of the dangerous crew rattle your soul? I hope not. after all, I did preempt it with
Granted, EXTREME east coast bias in full effect right here
Figured that would lessen the blow for all you west siders.
I just think you're being kind of queery over your particular likes and dislikes as they pertain to music. You are an even-keeled poster, but every once in a while you have a semi-breakdown over a very trivial matter (nh @"semi).

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

This is all trivial. we're talking about rap on a message board. What could be more trivial? Surely you, of all people, can relate to that.
I do obsess over small things sometimes but that's more my old man rap nerd rage than anything.
also, talking rap with ackbar is equal parts fascinating and infuriating.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Blockhead wrote:This is all trivial. we're talking about rap on a message board. What could be more trivial? Surely you, of all people, can relate to that.
I do obsess over small things sometimes but that's more my old man rap nerd rage than anything.
also, talking rap with ackbar is equal parts fascinating and infuriating.
I hear you, man, but come on: you literally dismissed like two decades of music (a lot of which is arguably very dope).

Ackbar had never heard of Above The Law until he saw Alias mention them on a message board sometime in the final stages of the pre-Great Ackbarian Transition. There are a lot of dudes like him and Silly Kid who latch onto music they know nothing about and are only listening to because they read a blog that told them to.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Employee wrote:
I just think you're being kind of queery over your particular likes and dislikes as they pertain to music. You are an even-keeled poster, but every once in a while you have a semi-breakdown over a very trivial matter (nh @"semi).
Block mentioned his dislike for 90's Bay instrumentation back in the Gabbly days.
I remember kicking my pc tower in disgust, but I can't blame it on him being a stubborn fag.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Regulate
I <3 Employee.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

myjah cuttin to the heart of thangs like a true G
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

alpha

Post by alpha »

Blocks critique of their production style is on point.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

alpha wrote:you were the most gangster 8 year old ever.
Blockhead wrote:Also, speaking of cold 187um, I'd bet my life you were not listening to Above the law when they dropped...cause you're in your 20's still and the thought of an 8 year old ackbar thizzing out to "murder rap" is beyond comical.
Employee wrote:Ackbar had never heard of Above The Law until he saw Alias mention them on a message board sometime in the final stages of the pre-Great Ackbarian Transition. There are a lot of dudes like him and Silly Kid who latch onto music they know nothing about and are only listening to because they read a blog that told them to.
SORRY GUYS COULDN'T FIND ANY PICS OF ME POSING W/ ABOVE THE LAW ALBUMS. HAVE TO SETTLE FOR THIS ONE W/ KOKANE'S CD I GUESS (also produced by cold 187um)