Pete Rock Loses Mind on Lupe

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Req

Post by Req »

yeah, plus Lupe is a better rapper than CL Smooth. Lupe bringin da troof to da black youf >>>> some dude rapping about his mom and dad having sex in the creepiest way possible.

fuuuuuck, imagine how good Drake would souund over this. Lupe should put him and 2 Chaaaaaaaainz on the remix, fuck PR.
F.U. MOOLAH

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

pete rock mentions lupe a lot in these new tweets since amends were made. lupe didn't make the beat. pete should give more props to the producer.

and i agree with mac lethal's statement.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

maclethal wrote:Fuck, some of you are out of touch.

There are century old songs that are literally untraceable in terms of who wrote them, that people have been covering/rewriting/remaking for YEEEEEARS. Old hymnals etc. Covering songs is an extremely common thing in the rock/blues/folk/country world. It's done EVERY DAY. Not just by tribute bands. A Perfect Circle covered "Imagine" by John Lennon. "Stairway to Heaven" has been covered and remade so many times, that it's considered untouchable because it's been DONE SO MANY TIMES.

Pete Rock is attacking Lupe for not creating "original music." Hmm. I wasn't aware that sampling a loop meant you were creating original music. I know producers think pitch shifting, tailoring, and adding drums to, samples, is comparable to being classically trained in the harpsichord, but get real.

Whether or not Lupe's version of this song is "hot" or "good," is a matter of opinion. The simple facts are that just about every single song Pete Rock has sampled in some way, shape, or form could have been potentially degrading to the original artist who actually played the instruments and recorded whatever he sampled. And he did a lot of that without permission.

Hip-hop takes itself a weeeeeeeee bit too serious sometimes. It's funny that the genre that requires the least amount of musicianship is the genre with the most people complaining about their music being ripped off.

What Pete Rock did to "Today" to make "T.R.O.Y." was original. What Lupe's producer did to make this track was not. Yes they both used the method of sampling, but that has nothing to do with anything.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

There are century old songs that are literally untraceable in terms of who wrote them, that people have been covering/rewriting/remaking for YEEEEEARS. Old hymnals etc. Covering songs is an extremely common thing in the rock/blues/folk/country world. It's done EVERY DAY. Not just by tribute bands. A Perfect Circle covered "Imagine" by John Lennon. "Stairway to Heaven" has been covered and remade so many times, that it's considered untouchable because it's been DONE SO MANY TIMES.

Pete Rock is attacking Lupe for not creating "original music." Hmm. I wasn't aware that sampling a loop meant you were creating original music. I know producers think pitch shifting, tailoring, and adding drums to, samples, is comparable to being classically trained in the harpsichord, but get real.

Whether or not Lupe's version of this song is "hot" or "good," is a matter of opinion. The simple facts are that just about every single song Pete Rock has sampled in some way, shape, or form could have been potentially degrading to the original artist who actually played the instruments and recorded whatever he sampled. And he did a lot of that without permission.

Hip-hop takes itself a weeeeeeeee bit too serious sometimes. It's funny that the genre that requires the least amount of musicianship is the genre with the most people complaining about their music being ripped off.

I agree with you, for the most part. And I love Pete Rock, but know that a large chunk of his legacy lies in him finding other people's records and doing funky things to them. But I recently saw Roy Ayers, and saw him perform 'Searching'. It's obviously a very different experience. A higher one. But I still love what Pete Rock did with the song on "The Main Ingredient".

Mac: the elephant (ghost?) in the room is the simple fact:

IT'S "T.R.O.Y."

THAT song is why people are even talking about it with more than the usual internet hate, LOL.

Snoop can do 'Lodi Dodi' and its awesome, I seen it. :rockout:
But Lupe Fiasco can't do this to 'T.R.O.Y.' :rofl:
like all things in this fucked up shit, some people will care, some won't, some will agree with Pete Rock, some won't.

I don't think Lupe went about this right in any way. And it reminds me of the questionable shit he did with A Tribe Called Quest and his flubbing up of the lyrics to 'Electric Relaxation'.

they may have made up, but Lupe still caught an L on this one, in my eyes.

otherwise, meh. it's just goes to show you that some people don't think anything is sacred in this shit.

NOT JUST ANYBODY should go and make an official remake of 'Check the Rhime' or 'Scenario' or any of that shit, without doing it RIGHT. F'real.

that's just how I think. Others will think otherwise, and others won't care.

*insert YOTMB catchphrase here*

:cheers:

Tommy Bunz wrote:
Balkongen Loungin' wrote:Gotta love how a Canuck cretin like Mindbender deems himself worthy to remake songs from Illmatic yet goes into meltdown any time an American rapper rhymes over a classic 90s instrumental.
may we never forget
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M1yY2v4_J4g?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M1yY2v4_J4g?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
yeah. may we never forget.

I just watched this for the first time in years. ITS FUCKING DOPE.

A solid example of a good interpretation of doing a cover of a song. And I would bet that El-P thought it was good, that's my word.

Y'all can hate all you want. It don't stop me, and the people in the crowd were feeling it. That was when I opened up for Dose One/Subtle, plus bigged up the homie Sluggo, cause he was the first MC I ever knew who did a cover version of a song (if my memory serves correctly). If it wasn't him, it was Eyedea, and they might have performed together at the Kathedral (where the shooting scene in 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' was filmed. same Toronto club). It was well over a decade ago, in probably 1999, so I can't remember exactly, but, yeah.

Anyways, one of the Rhymesayers homies performed 'Catch A Bad One' by Del, and it was the first time I saw someone do a hip hop cover song. I kept in the tradition decently enough too. But I guess haters gonna hate so whatevs :rofl:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dids

Post by Dids »

Moolah wrote:

What Pete Rock did to "Today" to make "T.R.O.Y." was original. What Lupe's producer did to make this track was not. Yes they both used the method of sampling, but that has nothing to do with anything.
So sampling is only "right" when it's good too?

It just feels like people are judging the ethics of the song rather than the song itself, and for all the reasons that Mac points out- that's goofy.

It's shitty hack work so call it shitty hack work, but I don't think this is some crime against the spirit of hip-hop for which somebody needs to lash themselves and say three My Melodies before they go to bed.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

SIGH for real
Guess things ainג€™t sweet after all. Earlier today, a disgruntled Lupe phoned into Sway In The Morning and revealed the issue with Pete Rock hasnג€™t been resolved. He also says Pete wasnג€™t supposed to reveal that they plan on working together. Hey, at least the sample was cleared *sighs*.

http://rapradar.com/2012/05/24/lupe-fia ... e-morning/
can't say i'm very surprised.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.sw ... 2"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.sw ... 2F47440682" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object>

BEEF.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

the one comment on that soundcloud thing >

Req

Post by Req »

Lupe can never return to the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.

That is not forgive action, yo.
F.U. MOOLAH

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Dids wrote:
Moolah wrote:

No. I believe the point is that sampling is only "right" when you're not copying the exact same shit as someone else. Don't understand why people keep missing this point.

Sampling "Nautilus" = fine.

Making the same beat as Daytona 500 = ghey as hell.

Clipse rapping over the actual Daytona 500 beat = fine.

Someone "covering" Daytona 500 = fine with a high probability of ghey and/or mindbender.

AXEWOUNDFISTER
OG FISTOLA

Post by AXEWOUNDFISTER »

edit: damm this thread is still goin?

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

Moolah wrote:
Dids wrote:
Moolah wrote:

No. I believe the point is that sampling is only "right" when you're not copying the exact same shit as someone else. Don't understand why people keep missing this point.

Someone "covering" Daytona 500 = fine with a high probability of ghey and/or mindbender.
exactly, no one does this
illegal mind shoe lace

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

T.R.O.Y. is like clockwork with 13 different samples coming together like one... This was just a SHIT BEAT by Lupe*.

* = That no name producer just pushed a few buttons, it was Lupe reaching from behind him orchestrating the real work imo.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Piff Tannen wrote:the one comment on that soundcloud thing >
all the comments on the soundcloud thing are pretty :rofl:

did Lupe really say "he's the best to ever do it?" :lol: :larry:

Dids

Post by Dids »

Moolah wrote:
Dids wrote:
Moolah wrote:

I'd agree with all of this. Judge it as whatever and move on. I don't think that means that Pete Rock should be feeling but hurt or offended in the least though.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Dids wrote:Judge it as whatever...

As blatant biting by a bitch? Will do.

Kace

Post by Kace »

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xbOF2TBraqM?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xbOF2TBraqM?ve ... l_NL&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I don't remember Pete Rock getting pissed of at Ortiz back then.

Or this guy:

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VNNjXNuYAQ0?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VNNjXNuYAQ0?ve ... l_NL&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

But unlike Lupe they both did make an homage to the original song so I can kinda understand where Pete's getting at.
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Pretty sure they weren't lead singles to major label albums either.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Kace wrote:
But unlike Lupe they both did make an homage to the original song so I can kinda understand where Pete's getting at.
:spidey:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Is it fair to say this has little, in actuality, to do with either Lupe or Pete and essentially everything to do with a song that is one of the most revered of its genre?

And if it is fair to say that: can we accept that Lupe is an infinite faggot and Pete Rock will always be a bitter guy, but that's okay because he made his bones and he's earned the right?

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Kace wrote:But unlike Lupe they both did make an homage to the original song so I can kinda understand where Pete's getting at.
Both your examples are emcees rapping over the actual T.R.O.Y. beat. That's not the issue here.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Req wrote:Lupe can never return to the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.

That is not forgive action, yo.
:lol:

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Over You They Are Has Reminisce

elohim

Post by elohim »

Did anyone catch First Take on ESPN this past morning (Maybe it was Wed, I'm drunk)? They used TROY to 'reminisce' over Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith's monumental battles of who annoys you more.

Spoiler alert: Pete Rock won

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Employee wrote:Is it fair to say this has little, in actuality, to do with either Lupe or Pete and essentially everything to do with a song that is one of the most revered of its genre?

And if it is fair to say that: can we accept that Lupe is an infinite faggot and Pete Rock will always be a bitter guy, but that's okay because he made his bones and he's earned the right?

I think it's the combination of these two definitely. The fact that Pete is a bitter old man is just a bit of nitro-glycerin here.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

B. Ware tha Siniq

Anybody else feel like Lupe was heavily trying to set Pete up for a lawsuit stating that T.R.O.Y. had never been cleared.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:Anybody else feel like Lupe was heavily trying to set Pete up for a lawsuit stating that T.R.O.Y. had never been cleared.
I dunno. I honestly think between all the shit Lupe has gone through in his career (some fault of his own) he's getting sick of catering to what's in style now like what he did with some of his last album and trying to do something that reflects more of what he wants to do but ends up pissing off someone he thought he could gain respect from. Just probably pissed its a catch-22 all over.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

B. Ware tha Siniq

ardamus wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:Anybody else feel like Lupe was heavily trying to set Pete up for a lawsuit stating that T.R.O.Y. had never been cleared.
I dunno. I honestly think between all the shit Lupe has gone through in his career (some fault of his own) he's getting sick of catering to what's in style now like what he did with some of his last album and trying to do something that reflects more of what he wants to do but ends up pissing off someone he thought he could gain respect from. Just probably pissed its a catch-22 all over.
Come on man.

Listen to some of the things he says on that recording.

"I give Pete credit for one thing, yesterday was the first time he and I spoke on the song. But my people been reaching out to him for 6 months." -- Yeah, he sounds really down to earth and sincere in his desire to give light to a classic.

"That's why I feel I'm the greatest of all-time" - Really?

Those are paraphrased I know, and there's 15 more gems like that.

He's still trying to fake the funk (yes, ACthePD)

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
ardamus wrote:
Come on man.

Listen to some of the things he says on that recording.

"I give Pete credit for one thing, yesterday was the first time he and I spoke on the song. But my people been reaching out to him for 6 months." -- Yeah, he sounds really down to earth and sincere in his desire to give light to a classic.

"That's why I feel I'm the greatest of all-time" - Really?

Those are paraphrased I know, and there's 15 more gems like that.

He's still trying to fake the funk (yes, ACthePD)
For the record, I can't so-sign that greatest all time quote at all. So don't take my comment as such. But I was just going off things based on what happened with him in the past and now til the present; calling shit how I see it. It is what it is.

On my :ardy: shit, let me have my opinion.

:free:
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote: "That's why I feel I'm the greatest of all-time" - Really?
Lupe has the chutzpah to say that line in public, and your last album is 'Lazers'?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

RIOOC