General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Re: "How To Drake It In America"

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

thekeentwo wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Escobar305 wrote:Weeknd stay bodying drake on their collabs. Kiss land>>>>>> nwts
The Weeknd is about equal to Drake in singing ability.
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooa now
:fail:
RLY? I don't find The Weeknd to be some out of this world vocalist. I've seen him in concert 4 times and hear his records.

He's no D'Angelo. And lord knows Drake isn't that level of singer, either.

I find them both to be crooners (no :omgracist: ) to be honest...

The Weeknd belts out a few real high notes here and there, but... :icedit:

I change my mind. You're right. The Weeknd DOES sing more out there than Drake :cas:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Escobar305 wrote: :bunk: who toronto got? an r&b cat runz ur city and im not talking about drake hahahahahaa
SO not true :fail:

The Weeknd made his entire pre-Trilogy hype off of NOT BEING SEEN ANYWHERE. :disappear:

He's only done maybe 8 concerts in Toronto. SINCE HIS CAREER BEGAN. :omar:

His success is wonderful and Toronto enjoys his music... but there's no way that Abel Tesfaye can claim "running anything here". He's WAY TOO INVISIBLE

that's like saying Jadakiss runs NYC :bunk: dudes can't run nothing if they don't make public appearances and put out music or contribute culturally

Drake run this town on the commercial music level. That billboard from 'Started From The Bottom' is still overlooking the city :cas:
true king of ur city:

and at the end of the day, kissland >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NWTS

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

are we debating things that don't actually exist yet now

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Escobar305 wrote: :bunk: who toronto got? an r&b cat runz ur city and im not talking about drake hahahahahaa

The Weeknd made his entire pre-Trilogy hype off of NOT BEING SEEN ANYWHERE. :disappear:

His success is wonderful and Toronto enjoys his music... but there's no way that Abel Tesfaye can claim "running anything here". He's WAY TOO INVISIBLE

that's like saying Jadakiss runs NYC :bunk: dudes can't run nothing if they don't make public appearances and put out music or contribute culturally
I don't think that's a sound comparison, and it's also looking at the ability to be omnipresent through an old-fashioned lens. Half of the wonder of the Weeknd's rise to fame came from the elusive development of his persona. To say he's not responsible for a cultural contribution is ignorant. I'd argue the Weeknd's success did more to create a cultural shift in music than any move Drake's ever made, despite his commercial success.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Captin Planit wrote:

I don't think that's a sound comparison, and it's also looking at the ability to be omnipresent through an old-fashioned lens. Half of the wonder of the Weeknd's rise to fame came from the elusive development of his persona. To say he's not responsible for a cultural contribution is ignorant. I'd argue the Weeknd's success did more to create a cultural shift in music than any move Drake's ever made, despite his commercial success.
I definitely did not say he didn't make a cultural contribution. (At the same time, an elusive persona is a peculiar cultural contribution :face: ) :icedit: OOPS! I DID say he didn't make a cultural contribution, LOL. I went back and read what I wrote, ha. But I didn't mean that he didn't give anything to the city with his music or career. I meant that, as far as "running the city of Toronto", the Weeknd doesn't contribute anything to the community in that fashion. He's not out there organizing events like OVOFest, or things to teach children, or even being seen on the nightclub scene at parties and contributing his energy to the big nightlife gatherings in the city. It happens here and there, but he's was the Jay Electronica of R&B until 'Trilogy' came out officially, and he still only has a handful of interviews. Plus he doesn't work with Doc anymore, I hear, which doesn't bode too well for 'Kissland', to be REAL. The producer who made the epic sleazy sexy spacey sound of 'High Like This' and all the other hypnotic magic the Weeknd was known for apparently is not involved on the new album. 'Love in the Sky' already doesn't sound too much like the mixtape, and not in a very good way, either. We shall see if the Weeknd phenomenon grows fast or slow...

And Drake definitely caused a massive level of paradigm shift that has never been seen before. Lil Wayne came out spitting a Drake verse on a nationally televised award show, at the height of Lil Wayne's popularity. That is unprecedented.

Yes, The Weeknd also did some very great things for Toronto and modern R&B music and what not, but I don't think he has eclipsed Drake in any capacity, except what high notes his voice can hit, compared to Drake's voice.
Last edited by Mindbender Futurama on Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Piff Tannen wrote:are we debating things that don't actually exist yet now
:hooray: & :rofl: NO, "WE" ARE NOT. BUT ~HE~ IS. :bunk:

esco305 gotta be fucking off that purp to be debating two albums that aren't even in reality :wtf:

but your predictions have been noted, and your prophetic accuracy will be appropriately scrutinized

WHEN THE FUCKING TIME ACTUALLY COMES WHERE THE ALBUMS ARE RELEASED AND WE HAVE HEARD THEM

ninjas be on some grade school insane fantasy shit :fail: like "Detox is better than Nas's album with Premier, son!!!!!!" LOLZ

:arrow:

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

ninjas be on some grade school insane fantasy shit :fail: like "Detox is better than Nas's album with Premier, son!!!!!!" LOLZ

:arrow:
'Nothing Was The Same' is gonna fucking SMOKE 'Yeezus' and 'Magna Carter Holy Grail'. TRUSSSSSSSS :cheers:
:lol: :larry: :fail:

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Captin Planit wrote:

+1. drake owes weeknd that grammy

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Piff Tannen wrote:are we debating things that don't actually exist yet now
so far:

kissland/john carpenter >>>>>> started from the bottom
you belong to the world >>>>>>> all on me
love in the sky >>>> hold on we're going home

weeknd 3, drake 0

:cheers:

starks

Post by starks »

new weeknd singles are total shit

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

starks wrote:new weeknd singles are total shit
false

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

:fail:

"5 AM In Toronto" alone is better than ANYTHING The Weeknd has done all year.

AXEWOUNDFISTER
OG FISTOLA

Post by AXEWOUNDFISTER »

:bunk:

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

AXEWOUNDFISTER wrote: :bunk:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

The Weeknd has a new song with Drake that is fucking dope on both their parts

:bow: http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/singles/i ... e-Live+For

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Worst cover.

binary

Post by binary »

The Weeknd fucking sucks now, and Drake's new shit is some of the only interesting shit hip hop has produced in a long while.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

kendrick's verse pushed this dudes album back

kissland>>>>>>>>

binary

Post by binary »

Escobar305 wrote:kendrick's verse pushed this dudes album back

kissland>>>>>>>>
wtf is up with this guy? is he a street teamer? I've never seen such a gobbler of dicks on here.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

binary wrote:The Weeknd fucking sucks now, and Drake's new shit is some of the only interesting shit hip hop has produced in a long while.
Slurp slurp? :fail:

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

Escobar305 wrote:
binary wrote:The Weeknd fucking sucks now, and Drake's new shit is some of the only interesting shit hip hop has produced in a long while.
Slurp slurp? :fail:

escobar's entire existence on this board has been spent trying to cram meek mill, pusha t, french Montana, diddy, and the weeknd into his mouth all at once.

as you can see from his posts, he has been overwhelmingly successful.

the best part is when he gets confused about who he's cheerleading for. he was riding for drake in one of the pusha/meek/french threads at some point too.

i'm putting in my early nom for :phila: rookie of the year

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

PEACE

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

the first one was the best one

lots of ehhhhh

and escobar305 is an intern on Bad Boy's street team, he's a good link to have... let's you know the corporate brainwashed hiffop! perspective :cheers:

peace to Binary. The reason The Weeknd isn't the same anymore is that he's not working with Doc, the producer who made 'House of Balloons' (the ethereal and magical first mixtape... and the other two, which were good but weren't AS good)

Drake is about to smash shit stupidly, and you guys know it's coming :cas:

Req

Post by Req »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:The Weeknd isn't the same anymore is that he's not working with Doc
didnt know about this, but if it's true, that's a horrible fucking decision

like... potentially career ending decision
F.U. MOOLAH

DLG

Post by DLG »

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

:lol:

GentleJonesReturns

Post by GentleJonesReturns »

hahahahah ^^

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Req wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:The Weeknd isn't the same anymore is that he's not working with Doc
didnt know about this, but if it's true, that's a horrible fucking decision

like... potentially career ending decision
I saw him tweet "I had nothing to do with the Weeknd's debut album."

the pinnacle of :naswtf: :naswtf: :naswtf: :naswtf: :naswtf: , I agree with you, Req.

It wasn't quite the singing that made 'House of Balloons' and the other 2 mixtapes magical... IT WAS THE PRODUCTION BY DOC

and the song 'Kissland' is produced by Silkky Johnson

that's two strikes against Abel for me. Burning the Drake bridge only to be lucky enough to fix it again, then burning the Doc bridge? what part of the game is that? :sad: his future is not guaranteed in this shit, he doesn't even have his debut album success established. I wouldn't be so quick to switch formula-makers if I were him... everyone is FICKLE AS FUCK nowadays

the Weeknd could get Ciara'd real easy, with 2 bad decisions

I hope it's a good album, and I'm glad Drake's on it. We know that song is probably the best one on the album :cas: