Melle Mel "Rakim is overrated...2Pac was Hitler..."

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Magneto

Melle Mel "Rakim is overrated...2Pac was Hitler..."

Post by Magneto »

Ra, Kris and Pac might be in most heads' Top 10, but former Furious Five emcee Melle Mel doesn't think too highly of them. During a recent appearance on (New York) Power 105.1's Star and Bucwild morning show, Mel did the unthinkable and said Ra was "overrated with no stage presence." He then added that he "wouldn't put him in his Top 10 and that Rakim doesn't have the talent to drop a modern day Hip-Hop hit." Meanwhile, Mel said "people were blinded if KRS-One was their face of Hip-Hop." However, Kris was luckier than Ra and "barely scrapped" Mel's Top 10. Last but not least, Mel took a shot at Pac. The veteran lyricist compared Shakur to Hitler and said the fraudulent images he portrayed "brought down an entire culture.
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

Juice

Post by Juice »

would love to hear the whole thing

Req

Post by Req »

either im buggin or hes been saying that shit for a minute?
F.U. MOOLAH

HustleCrowe

Post by HustleCrowe »

I met Melle Mel like two summers ago and he seemed cool but c'mon is he serious????!?!!..... And on top of that how can he talk? He hasn't dropped anything relevant in like 20 years! :lol:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

hello, mindblowing statements, how are you today? :rofl:

I'm a radioactive :naswtf:

Rakim was one of the best shows I ever saw.

first rapper to ever perform 20 songs in a row, FLAWLESSLY. perfect, but nothing near robotic.

and, um... regardless of what your opinion is of KRS-One... he was SURELY one of hip hop's leading figures on every fucking level imaginable from roughly 1986-7 to 1996-7 (Step Into A World was his last real accepted hit)
the only thing he wasn't was a sex symbol... he WAS hip hop and defined it with his immense catalogue. Mel is buggin

and that Tupac shit is mad misguided.

evil American hatred and crime brought down Tupac, and Pac just was too connected to rap to not drag rap down with him

I dont think Pac's killers were rap industry motherfuckers.

and hate him or love him, Tupac was more real than 95% of everyone else in rap. what was portrayed in the media wasn't even half the truth of him.

wow. the things that people don't know...

*insert YOTMB/EPMD cliche*
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

I can't believe people haven't tuned this nigga out. Legend or no legend. His steroid taking ass is crazier then a shithouse rat.

Boris.

Post by Boris. »

mindbender can your sig not be a whole fucking page? your posts are annoying as-is but this shit is over the top.
If you can't walk the walk, don't talk the talk.

Conscious
The Anti-Hater Liberator

Post by Conscious »

I think he's trynah beat out Kool Herc for title of angriest old dude in Hiphop.
http://bondfireradio.com #thefutureofradio

nestle quik

Post by nestle quik »

I heard Rakim has a small penis

ILL SEER

Post by ILL SEER »

ra and krs def top ten

but

melle mel is the truth ... dude was prophetic on the first hiphop track most people ever heard and predicted the way the whole game would go towards pimps/drugdealers eventually

the message = #1 rap song ever

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Has anyone read that Kool Moe Dee book?

Mel is ranked at #1 there.

Deviant283

Post by Deviant283 »

on a somewhat unrelated note...are star and buc back on power 105? or is this old? i dont see them anywhere on the power 105 website. i know they left the pulse in october but i hadnt heard anything since.

Savior

Post by Savior »

I'd like to hear his top ten. I can understand not digging Pac or KRS but how can you dude have so much hate for Rakim?

And what the fuck is a modern day hip hop hit anyways? Crank Dat Soulja Boy? If that's what it is, thank god rakim isn't putting out any modern day hip hop hits.
Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be.- Frank Zappa

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Agreed.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:and hate him or love him, Tupac was more real than 95% of everyone else in rap.
:rofl:

Remove that sig homie.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Yohan wrote:Has anyone read that Kool Moe Dee book?

Mel is ranked at #1 there.
And Mack 10 is ranked #49...right above Just Ice.

It's an entertaining read, and he did give the Beasties an A for sticking to themes, but it's important to remember that Kool Moe Dee keeps Mack 10 in his top 50 one notch above Just Ice.

Mansfield Status

Post by Mansfield Status »

Melle Mel speakin the truth..

Thun

Post by Thun »

OMG IS NACHURE OV DA THRETT TREW

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Melle Mel is no different from the sport stars of the 80's who are now shit talking the stars of today and scream out faggotry shit because they're jealous, broke and bitter.

That said I agree with him Rakim never had stage presence but it doesn't mean he wasn't one of (if not the) best lyricist ever.

OMG Brother Ali has great stage presence. TOP 5 dead or alive.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

Mellie Mel is :lastweek:'S 50 cent...

@ the begining of RUN-DMC's trek up he said they couldn't walk on the same side of the street as him... That they weren't worthy...

*pfft*

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

ILL SEER wrote:ra and krs def top ten

but

melle mel is the truth ... dude was prophetic on the first hiphop track most people ever heard and predicted the way the whole game would go towards pimps/drugdealers eventually

No way homie. Not even close.
Melle Mel didn't even write that shit.
And Melle Mel and the rest of the Furious Five hated that song originally, they thought it was a downer and nobody would fuck with it.

Red Guerilla

Post by Red Guerilla »

i partly agree with him about pac in the sense that pac didnt do all the shit he talked about in his rhymes, he just had huge balls [no homo]

ILL SEER

Post by ILL SEER »

Smitty wrote:

but

And Melle Mel and the rest of the Furious Five hated that song originally, they thought it was a downer and nobody would fuck with it.
:killacam: who wrote it then? first i ever heard that...

"hated"? even if they were afraid of their own genius i'm sure they came around like the rest of the earth (besides you :lol: )

listenin to it now its like he read the history of hiphop aheadatime

but i do like me the conscioushiphop so to each their own

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Mel is just mad that no one bought

HustleCrowe

Post by HustleCrowe »

Chuck D > Melle Mel

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

ILL SEER wrote:
Smitty wrote:

but

:killacam: who wrote it then? first i ever heard that...

"hated"? even if they were afraid of their own genius i'm sure they came around like the rest of the earth (besides you :lol: )

listenin to it now its like he read the history of hiphop aheadatime

but i do like me the conscioushiphop so to each their own
he didnt write it. one guy working at the label wrote the lyrics. could have been one of the musicians who played the song but i dont remember

got respect for Melle he was dope and a true pioneer. but all 3 of them were doper.

ILL SEER

Post by ILL SEER »

^^^^that's crazy

but HE filed a lawsuit against GrandMaster Flash over a song he didn't even write?

agreed that Melle Mel isn't the dopest, but that track is

multsanta

Post by multsanta »

Red Guerilla wrote:i partly agree with him about pac in the sense that pac didnt do all the shit he talked about in his rhymes, he just had huge balls [no homo]
Hitler didn't do all the shit he talked about in his rhymes either.

Mel first kicked the "child is born with no state of mind" on "Super Rappin'", which came out on Enjoy. So it would seem unlikely that some shiesty Sugar Hill exec actually ghost wrote "The Message" in its entirety. It was Sylvia Robinson's concept though.

ILL SEER

Post by ILL SEER »

from the never-wrong Wikipedia:

"The song was written by Sugar Hill session musician Ed "Duke Bootee" Fletcher and Furious Five MC Melle Mel. Flash and the other members of The Furious Five, although credited on the record, were uninterested in recording the song and are not found on the finished record."

"Rolling Stone ranked "The Message" #51 in its List of Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (the highest placing for any song released in the 1980s, and highest ranking hip-hop song on the list)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Message_(song)

Thun

Post by Thun »

GEE I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY MELLE MEL WOULD HARBOR RESENTMENT AGAINST KRS-ONE