All of the above
3%

Total votes: 105

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Which album is NOT classic material?

Post by Philaflava »

NOT.

Obviously pick the one you feel the most strongly about.
Last edited by Philaflava on Tue May 19, 2009 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Snoop. Fuck whiteys.

Guun

Post by Guun »

eminem.. doesn't have the replay value of the rest and i'd take his first lp over this.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

eminem and 2pac
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

DJSoulClap

Post by DJSoulClap »

I voted for Em, just not feeling the album as much as all the others...

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

drizzle wrote:eminem and 2pac

Galapagos4

Post by Galapagos4 »

Me Against The World

cuz I don't know every track front to back and like it more now than I did when it dropped.

I woulda chose ATLiens as a close second, cuz some tracks to me are boring and again, I like it more now that I did when it dropped. I was stuck on the 1st album.

this was weird cuz when i listen to Mecca & The Soul Brother nowadays, start to finish, i get bored. but when it dropped, i wore the fuck outta that tape, back and forth.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I realize so many people on here hate 2Pac and I suppose it's expected and to an extent a validation of your hip-hop membership these days, but Me Against The World is easily his best album. It was also his most honest album before all the Death Row bullshit. Easy Mo Bee handled a lot of the production and direction of this album.

Pac was far from a lyricist but he was one of the few rappers that could really interject deep emotion from track to track and paint vivid pictures. This was the westcoast Ready To Die album. Again, before all the thug fuckery and Suge Knighting that went on in his career, this was the last real piece of music he's ever made.

If you don't like Pac you don't like him. He's not for everyone but this album had some serious bangers on it

Dragondude R

Post by Dragondude R »

mmlp sucked compared to sslp

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

I will say that "Old School" is a dope song and even with all its corniness I still like "Dear Mama" (but keep it on the down low). :oops:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Fuck I actually meant it to be SSLP not MMLP.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

tupac in the notorious movie > real tupac
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

everyone but boom bap and critical beatdown.

Galapagos4

Post by Galapagos4 »

Philaflava wrote:I realize so many people on here hate 2Pac and I suppose it's expected and to an extent a validation of your hip-hop membership these days, but Me Against The World is easily his best album. It was also his most honest album before all the Death Row bullshit. Easy Mo Bee handled a lot of the production and direction of this album.

Pac was far from a lyricist but he was one of the few rappers that could really interject deep emotion from track to track and paint vivid pictures. This was the westcoast Ready To Die album. Again, before all the thug fuckery and Suge Knighting that went on in his career, this was the last real piece of music he's ever made.

If you don't like Pac you don't like him. He's not for everyone but this album had some serious bangers on it
i like it, just didn't bump it all that much when it dropped. on the other hand, i played 2Pacalypse and Strictly 4 in the whip for like 3 years straight when i was 15-17... so those always seemed like the classics to me, even though when i peep the 2nd one now, it's not that tight and the production quality is mostly shitty, sound wise.

step one

Post by step one »

Philaflava wrote:Fuck I actually meant it to be SSLP not MMLP.
bit pointless changing it after it had polled half the vote though.
I own SS but not MM. I'd prob have voted for 2Pac instead off the amended list. I like Temptations off that album and Old School but its not a favourite of mine (and I dont hate 2Pac).

Slim Shady LP isnt a classic but I prefer it out of the 2
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Not pointless. This poll has been up for 30 minutes. In 4 days those 8 votes will be pointless or will it?

step one

Post by step one »

Philaflava wrote:Not pointless. This poll has been up for 30 minutes. In 4 days those 8 votes will be pointless or will it?
im at work. those 30 minutes seemed like 3 hours!
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

The Blueprint

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Several of those are not classics, but SSLP is the least classic-est of the bunch.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:Several of those are not classics, but SSLP is the least classic-est of the bunch.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l0tzZ__Z5Qw&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l0tzZ__Z5Qw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Employee wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:Several of those are not classics, but SSLP is the least classic-est of the bunch.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l0tzZ__Z5Qw&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l0tzZ__Z5Qw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
:rofl:

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

i don't think these are classics:

tupac
not a pac fan.

eminem
someone said before, the replay value is kinda weak

krs one
one of the most over rated albums of all time. people act like this is as good as classic BDP material and it's not even close.
i voted for this.

with that said, these all have good joints on them and aren't bad but they aren't classics.

also, whoever voted for "straight out the jungle" is a piece of shit.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Blockhead wrote:krs one
one of the most over rated albums of all time. people act like this is as good as classic BDP material and it's not even close.

Agreed. Nice to hear from someone else who feels this way (I still think it's a very good album though).

It bears repeating that these Eminem, Jay-Z, and 2Pac albums are nowhere near classic.

And while the Snoop album might be considered classic due to historical context, the quality of the music doesn't hold up at all next to some of these other albums. That stuff has not aged well at all.

Any person who votes for Critical Beatdown here needs to get eaten by a shark. Fuck classic, that shit is canon.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

5 stupid fucks voted for Street Level??? Wow.

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

Quotashun wrote:5 stupid fucks voted for Street Level??? Wow.
the definition of "classic" is really vague in this thread.

I assume Gloss means

1) Cultural Impact
2) Influence on genre
3) Collective critical praise then/now
4) Iconic Songs

Based on this criteria Street Level is easily the least "classic"- and that has nothing to do with the quality of music.

If this is a "what album I like least" thread than it would come down to personal taste since these were all well received albums, and I would pick SSLP as my least favorite.

Galapagos4

Post by Galapagos4 »

Combo7 wrote:
Blockhead wrote:krs one

Agreed. Nice to hear from someone else who feels this way (I still think it's a very good album though).
i don't know ya'll. maybe, again, it's the time it came out for me. and it was nowhere near as great as "Sex & Violence" which preceded it, not to mention all of the other BDP albums (all 5 beyond classic but all had their weak moments too)... but "Boom Bap" was like nothing else that had dropped at that time, people hate the beats but i think those shits are super fucking hard. i like every track on that record. i like it better than the "KRS-ONE" LP and i love that shit too. but anything and everything after 1996 was total un-listenable garbage, somehow.

MD

Post by MD »

"Boom Bap" is classic because it gave us the greatest cameo in Hip-Hop video history.

"WHAT!??!!? WHAT BOY?!?!?! WHAT?!!?!?!?!" - Willie D

zygmontone

Post by zygmontone »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:a couple of those are not classics, but SSLP is the least classic-est of the bunch.

Thun

Post by Thun »

I prefer Return Of The Boom-Bap to every BDP album except for Criminal Minded. The beats are a solid and bang in the whip , KRS modernized his style and flows with ferocity ... you guys really like the deep album cuts on all of those BDP albums that much?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Higher Level > your favorite song