whats with this whole Charles Hamilton/Dilla noise?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

nobs

whats with this whole Charles Hamilton/Dilla noise?

Post by nobs »

i hear he is saying Dilla executive produced his record but people say it isnt true and hes talking shit to people?

anyone know the story?

can this kid go away already?

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Publicity stunt masked as charity. Sucks that its working.

FWMJ had a conversation with him today:

http://www.rappersiknow.com/

By now itג€™s all over the internet that Charles Hamilton is crediting Jay Dilla as an Executive Producer on his upcoming debut album. Myself and various others were taken back by such a bold move and commented on it on everyoneג€™s favorite social networking site. Charles had issue with our comments and requested peopleג€™s phone numbers to contact them personally. I gave him mine.

IT SHOULD ALSO BE NOTED THAT AFTER THIS CONVERSATION, I WAS INFORMED THAT THE J DILLA FOUNDATION HAS NOT EXISTED FOR SOME TIME.

Whattup Sweeney.

Whoג€™s this?

Charles Hamilton, whatג€™s the hate?

Itג€™s not hate. I just think youג€™re kind of a dweeb.

Ok, break down what your issue is with me so we can come to a mutual agreement to where you donג€™t have to say anything to me or support my music and you can go about living your life.

I only say anything about you in a public forum when I feel itג€™s something ridiculous like crediting Dilla as an executive producer of your album.

Do you know my relationship with Ma Dukes?

No I donג€™t.

If you donג€™t know my relationship with Ma Dukes, proceeds from my album are going towards the J Dilla Music Foundation, which is basically a temple. My issue is, if you donג€™t know all the details of it and simply are putting out negativity about me and what it is Iג€™m doing, especially since I actually have a very good relationship with Phat Kat and everybody else involved, especially since I was in the studio with Pete Rock when he was mastering the Jay $tay Paid album. Do you really want to put such negative energy out there on a public forum?

Listen, that still doesnג€™t mean the man did anything for your albumג€“

The thing is ג€”

Let me talk. I let you talk, now let me talk. Itג€™s cool that youג€™re giving proceeds from the album, Iג€™ll admit that, I donג€™t have any problem with that. You crediting him as an executive producer of your album when you never met him is just foolish.

How do you know I never met him?

Fine. When you never had a working relationship with him, which I know you didnג€™t because I think I would have heard about that.

Really?

Yes.

What do you know about James Yancey personally?

What do you want me to say? I never met him personallyג€“

If you donג€™t know James Yancey, his little brother or his mother the way I know them, then you canג€™t put any negativity out there. Thatג€™s slander. Now Iג€™m not taking a legal approach, Iג€™m approaching you man to manג€“

Thatג€™s not slander. You have no basis to take a legal approach, thatג€™s ridiculous of you to say that.

Yoג€¦just deal with the fact that you donג€™t know a large percentage of the information. You donג€™t want to buy the album, donג€™t buy the album

Iג€™m not going to buy the album.

By the way, donג€™t make this a bigger issue than it already is.

How am I making it a bigger issue?

By how you talking.

All Iג€™m saying, Iג€™m not saying you donג€™t have a relationship with the familyג€“

If Iג€™m putting him as an executive producer, and executive producer gets a percentage of the album, what are you so mad at?

Iג€™m not mad. I think itג€™s laughable that youג€™re crediting someone who you never had a working relationship with, and yes Iג€™m going to make that assumption, as an executive producer on your album. Outside of you supposedly giving proceeds of the album to the J Dilla foundation, I think this is a publicity stunt, in some way, shape or form.

Are you upset that Iג€™m giving money to the foundation and that could possibly get publicity?

Not at all. Iג€™m not upset at anything, Iג€™m laughing at it. I laughed when I first saw it. Iג€™m not upset.

In the heading of your email you said ג€˜Hate.ג€™

Yeah, it was a tounge-in-cheek comment. In your twitter you posted, ג€˜any haters email me your number,ג€™ so I was like, ok, if this is what youג€™re calling it, then I guess this is going to be what he classifies as hate.

Nah, but see you didnג€™t ask a question, you simply stated what you thought was a fact. So what Iג€™m trying to tell you is, upon asking Ma Dukes, or Illa J, or even his daughter, you donג€™t know how close to the family I am. The Hamilton family and the Yancey family have a very good relationship, so I just want you to be clear on that. The next time you want to make a statement or anything about me, do realize that Iג€™m the type of person that will ask for your number and call you.

Thatג€™s fine. Save my number. Call me anytime. Listen, Iג€™m not taking anything out of pocket besides the fact that I think itג€™s ridiculous that youג€™re crediting him as an executive producer. You donג€™t have to credit him as an executive producer to donate proceeds of the album to the foundation, thatג€™s just how youג€™re choosing to go about it.

Hello?

Hello?

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

how could dilla have exec produced a record for him.. was he ever making any noise before dilla passed? sounds like another load of shit from hamilton.
nobs wrote:can this kid go away already?

in'jest

Post by in'jest »

Lurkn' em since Kool Herc en em'.

starks

Post by starks »

wow

does this kid play shows?
ever?
im guessing he doesn't

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

just wanted an excuse to post this picture i got with the girl that socked him.

i was reading all that twitter drama earlier. dude will do anything for some promo i guess.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

intuition wrote:Image

i was reading all that twitter drama earlier. dude will do anything for some promo i guess.
did you hit it?

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Blockhead wrote:

did you hit it?
More like did she hit him AMIRITE?!?!?!? :cookiecookie:

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Moolah wrote:
Blockhead wrote:

did you hit it?

:copy:

Shup Diddy
Nigga, Shup

Post by Shup Diddy »

one day im gonna be in LA, you gon be walkin down the street and all of a sudden you'll hear "ole cousin it body havin, chewbacca mulatto cousin, rasta with my shirt off, celly cell shirly locks on my back havin, "is it a full moon?" ass nigga" then i'll owe you a beer

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman »

:lol: thread delivers. this kid is the worst. I wish mc lyte was my cousin.
dudeman

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

blockhead/moolah/shup = back to back to back quality posts.

:lol:

Seen?

Post by Seen? »

Kid is shameless and embarrassing. I'd go to one of his shows to whup his bitch ass.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Blockhead wrote:
Moolah wrote:
Blockhead wrote:

did you hit it?

:copy: + :booty: = :gyeah: :jiz:

fixed

:lol: i'm just waiting to see what Phat Kat has to say.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

chillhood

Post by chillhood »

attention whore is an euphemism to qualify that....that...that....
http://wardolphin.blogspot.com/
come here and press [>
http://lifeasashortyshouldntbesorough.blogspot.com/
http://last.fm/user/chillhood

experience scientifical m(ethod) a(llowing) d(emential) ne(cessities) s(poiling) s(ouls)

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

I'm so amazed this guy a) keeps some kind of "buzz" going on the blogosphere with this BS b) hasn't been beaten to death yet.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

in that pic, intuition's left hand looks like it has old people spots on them
Nets 2022

B. Ware tha Siniq

Reason wrote:in that pic, intuition's left hand looks like it has old people spots on them
nah her freakles just wiped off when he was palming that ass.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

This kids faggotry is growing at an exponential rate.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

Random Sample wrote:This kids faggotry is growing at an exponential rate.
any over/under on him getting dropped this year before his album drops?

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

Reason wrote:in that pic, intuition's left hand looks like it has old people spots on them
nah, i have a bunch of scars on my hands. but not from doing tough shit, just from doing dumb shit and being a clutz.

Drastik

Post by Drastik »

We should have a contest going on to see who can :copy: Charles Hamilton on tape by the end of the year. Winner gets overnight celebrity status and their punch becomes an emoticon.

RoKnew

Post by RoKnew »

Piff Tannen wrote:
Random Sample wrote:This kids faggotry is growing at an exponential rate.
any over/under on him getting dropped this year before his album drops?
By a label or by Phat Kat/Detroit goons?

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

either one

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

unbelieveable. FTW?

http://www.allhiphop.com/stories/featur ... 51909.aspx

[quote]By Kevin Fairbanks
ג€œI also wanna thank James Yancey for his guidance in putting this album together. Sound wise, I couldnג€™t be happier. Again, the album was mastered reel-to-reel/digital-to-digital, and I couldnג€™t have done the entire process without him being a total jerk about me getting that EXTRA vinyl-ish sound. Thanks Dilla.ג€

When the artwork for Charles Hamiltonג€™s debut album This Perfect Life was released everything seemed normal, until the credit for executive producer came into view.

Charles Hamilton listed the EP as James Yancey, more widely known as Detroit producer J Dilla. The addition of the late, beloved beat extraordinaire surprised and sparked controversy not only within the Hip-Hop community but also additionally within Dillaג€™s Detroit family.

Now, with heightening confusion regarding the matter, a handful of Dillaג€™s closest associates through Hip-Hop are speaking out against Hamiltonג€™s use of the name and its connection to his music. With controversy looming over the head of Charles Hamilton, AllHipHop.com sat down with ג€œsonicג€ emcee to understand his side of the debacle.

Charles Hamilton: Well, let me start it off like this. First of all, I have absolutely nothing but the utmost respect for Detroit Hip-Hop. And Iג€™ll make no apologies because quite honestly my relationship with the Yanceys and the Holten family and their relationship with the Moore family and the Hamilton family really is nobodyג€™s business number one. Number two, Iג€™m the first mainstream artist to make any kind of effort to put any kind of money into the Yancey family pocket because Iג€™m putting him as my executive producer that means when the album does go into stores ג€“ mind you this is the first album in Interscope and music business history to be distributed by a major label for absolutely free ג€“ and the fact remains that when it gets into stores there is money that will be going into his families pocket.

Charles Hamilton: He has a daughter, his mom is struggling right now, and his catalogue for a lack of better words has been raped by a whole lot of emcees that respect him but donג€™t necessarily put money into the pot. So what can I do as a mainstream artist that has a lot of respect for the family and the artist and for the legacy he left behind, put him as the executive producer. Now as far as what he did on some ג€œPaul normalג€ s**t in the mastering process, yes, I can say that I got a chance to speak to Dilla. Now people can say that theyג€™ve talked to Biggie and talked to ג€˜Pac so what is so criminal about me saying that I had advice on mastering my album from Dilla?

Charles Hamilton: Is it because Iג€™m the new guy in the business or is because Iג€™m not from Detroit. Either way, thatג€™s ignorant and shouldnג€™t exist in Hip-Hop and no one really has heard most of the album to understand where Iג€™m coming from with it. And then on top of that my favorite rapper, Eminem, is from Detroit so if Iג€™m giving a Detroit producer who didnג€™t get a lot of mainstream love a little bit of time in the spotlight how am I milking his name for publicity? If anything a lot more people are hitting me up on Twitter saying ג€œYo, I was familiar with Dilla but I wasnג€™t familiar with his work. Thanks for putting his name out there.ג€

AllHipHop.com: I think the bigger aspect is your credibility as far as deserving to have Dillaג€™s name connected to the project.

Charles Hamilton: Okay, when Lupe Fiasco did Food & Liquor, Chilly Chill had just been sent to jail, how was he supposed to have executive produced Food & Liquor from jail?

AllHipHop.com: You donג€™t know that Chilly Chill didnג€™t contribute to that before he was sent away.

Charles Hamilton: Can I not ask you the same question about Dilla [and I]? Can I not ask you that exact same question? Just because my name wasnג€™t shouted out on Ruff Draft ג€“ like, and? Trackmasters didnג€™t get shouted out on Ruff Draft and they actually took a beat from Dilla and it was called ג€œGot ג€˜Till Itג€™s Goneג€ by Janet Jackson and they worked with him so where is the crime in it. If anything lets be serious here now are we really in a game where regional loyalty is going to shut down a project that is trying to help the rest of the world?

Charles Hamilton: And to be absolutely honest if I put Elvis Presley [as executive producer] thereג€™d be a whole host of white people saying, ג€œNo! He didnג€™t do anything for your album, heג€™s been dead!ג€ Even if I did a track with 2Pac theyג€™d be like, ג€œWhy did you take an acapella from 2Pac? Youג€™re not real Hip-Hop.ג€ People donג€™t know how to let go and let fears run free. So if we really want to step into the paranormal realm which is not really a realm that I think anyone wants to have any kind of discussion with me in.

Charles Hamilton: Than lets really put things in prospective because I donג€™t want to have to say the painfully obvious truth, Iג€™m really playing this very modest and humble but at the same time you canג€™t do that when youג€™re a new artist, you have to follow the paved road. So, no Iג€™m not doing that, Iג€™m taking things to the next level and if youג€™re not with that you donג€™t have to download the album when it comes out, you donג€™t have to buy it when it comes out. Just leave me alone with all that hate this is a whole new ballgame right now and Iג€™m not trying to pimp Dillaג€™s name. If anything you should blame Busta Rhymes when he put out Dillagence, but then again are you really going to blame him because he was on Ruff Draft. [Editorג€™s note: Busta Rhymes and J Dillaג€™s relationship extends back to 1996 on Rhymesג€™ first solo CD, The Coming.] So itג€™s like come on now, the duality of it is hilarious but such is the duality of life so Iג€™m not upset at anybody. Let me here your perspective on it, put your perspective on the interview.

AllHipHop.com: Well I can see where House Shoes is coming from and why he is upset at the simple fact that youג€™re using his close friends name in correlation to your music when the connection really isnג€™t clear. At the same time I agree with you that all of these other opinions by music listeners are not really relevant because we simply do not know your relationship with the Yancey family. I donג€™t know that because you did not make it clear. I just want to know if there is a true relationship because that can justify your use and your support for their estate by using him as the executive producer.

Charles Hamilton: Now can that just be for the sake of philanthropy and loving someoneג€™s work so much that you want to help their family out? Is that wrong?

AllHipHop.com: Thereג€™s nothing wrong with that at all but I donג€™t know if you really have reached out to anyone over there.

Charles Hamilton: Iג€™m just gonna leave it at this. At the end of the day when the album sells, the numbers that I know itג€™s gonna sell, and Iג€™m not saying itג€™s gonna go gold or platinum or flop but when it sells thereג€™s gonna be money going to a pot where very little money existed. So at the end of the day I did a good deed for somebody that helped me musically. Now if I did a s

hired gun

Post by hired gun »

This new generation has a sense of entitlement on levels that are unbelievable.....
HIRED GUN-Straight Organics
http://www.freshrootsmusic.com

chillhood

Post by chillhood »

ardamus wrote:unbelieveable. FTW?

Trackmasters didnג€™t get shouted out on Ruff Draft and they actually took a beat from Dilla and it was called ג€œGot ג€˜Till Itג€™s Goneג€ by Janet Jackson and they worked with him so where is the crime in it.
can sbdy shoot that guy in the mouth
http://wardolphin.blogspot.com/
come here and press [>
http://lifeasashortyshouldntbesorough.blogspot.com/
http://last.fm/user/chillhood

experience scientifical m(ethod) a(llowing) d(emential) ne(cessities) s(poiling) s(ouls)

Lid

Post by Lid »

somebody needs to choke this nigga out asap. this nigga talkin all this dilla shit and has no clue who houseshoes is.

B. Ware tha Siniq

ardamus wrote: Charles Hamilton: Iג€™m not trying to pimp Dillaג€™s name. If anything you should blame Busta Rhymes when he put out Dillagence, but then again are you really going to blame him because he was on Ruff Draft.
:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :err: :err: :err:

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

chillhood wrote:
ardamus wrote:unbelieveable. FTW?

Trackmasters didnג€™t get shouted out on Ruff Draft and they actually took a beat from Dilla and it was called ג€œGot ג€˜Till Itג€™s Goneג€ by Janet Jackson and they worked with him so where is the crime in it.
can sbdy shoot that guy in the mouth
For him to even mention like that is fucked up. Dilla was pissed about the situation.
Lid wrote:somebody needs to choke this nigga out asap. this nigga talkin all this dilla shit and has no clue who houseshoes is.
Houseshoes don't play when it comes anything dealing with Dilla. CH better watch himself........
Last edited by ardamus on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.