Favorite summertime album

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Favorite summertime album

Post by Philaflava »

What are some of your favorite summer albums? Don't be dropping the The Doveshack shit in every "summer thread" either. Albums, through and through which are your favorites and why.

Both Death Certificate and Midnight Marauders are a great summer albums even though they dropped in the fall. The same with Enta Da Stage and Word...Life.

De La always made great summertime albums like Buhloone Mind State but really their best summer album that was actually released in the summer is Stakes Is High.

Even though all these albums were recorded in different times and released 4-8 months after, they always carry a specific seasonal feel. Take CNN's "War Report" that shit is winter. "The Infamous" might be fall and Ras Kass' Soul On Ice is definitely summer(ish) for me.

What are yours?

ANU

Post by ANU »

:didntread:

Thun

Post by Thun »

Soul On Ice reminds you of summer? F'real?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thun wrote:Soul On Ice reminds you of summer? F'real?
A lot actually, Drama, Marinatin, Anything Goes, Reelishymn just to name a few. I think the complexity doesn't give off that vibe but many of the beats do.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Philaflava wrote:
A lot actually, Drama, Marinatin, Anything Goes, Reelishymn just to name a few. I think the complexity doesn't give off that vibe but many of the beats do.
Yeah I forgot that he had some g-funkish type tracks on it. I've always associated it with winter because of the super cynical, almost depressing content and of course the title and cover.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
Yeah I forgot that he had some g-funkish type tracks on it. I've always associated it with winter because of the super cynical, almost depressing content and of course the title and cover.
I went back to listen the album after the recent TROY thread and realized how much I really enjoy the production on it.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Lost Boyz - Legal Drug Money will always remind me of summer, as will It Was Written and Beats Rhymes and Life..

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Midnight Marauders and Stakes Is High are great choices. Midnight Marauders is the ultimate summer album.

As far as recent albums go, Below the Heavens is a good summertime album.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Icesickle wrote: Below the Heavens is a good summertime album.
Yup.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAAAAAAAAAY!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aVUcKNVaOuI&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aVUcKNVaOuI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

zygmontone

Post by zygmontone »

this is personalized and subjective, but i think "summer" when forced to give a season to these albums. i missed a couple and i didn't repeat artists which i could have for a couple

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

zygmontone

Post by zygmontone »

Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
ha me too, the subject matter and tone is what keeps me from thinking summer... i actually haven't listened to ras kass in a while i should relisten to that album.

also, i've never heard that doveshack or the nonce album, would someone up those if they had a chance?

indianaJ0nes

Post by indianaJ0nes »

warren g-g funk era

the pharcyde-bizarre ride II

murs-murray's revenge

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

Philaflava wrote:
Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
I went back to listen the album after the recent TROY thread and realized how much I really enjoy the production on it.
I've completely dismissed this album from my life because of the same reasons Thun just mentioned. For some reason, I just hear the name of that record and Nature of the Threat and Soul On Ice come to mind and I think, "I don't want to listen to that dark album, it's summer all the time here, I'm putting on Pharcyde again!"

I'll fix that today I think.

definitely any Heiro/Pharcyde/Native Tongues/Juice Crew gets heavy summer rotation. It just has that vibe, lot of vibing out sounds, lot of funky drummer/james brown samples/p-funk samples, it just works.

Blackalicious - Melodica has been getting a ton of play this summer. I listen to "40oz for Breakfast" every morning it seems. not that I drink a long, but I just love the grooves.

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

My brain immediately says Midnight Marauders but Only Built 4 Cuban Linx was and still is my go to album for driving through Atlantic City and other havens for tourists.

Nothing like bumping Criminology at 120 dB when you're stopped at a red light next to a car full of frat bro's/benny's/guidos.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

zygmontone

Post by zygmontone »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Image
yup this too.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

FTW

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Enta Da Stage is pure wintermusic IMO. There are very few eastcoast records that are summery, atleast to me.

Too Short - Cocktales
2nd II None - Classic 220
Dj Quik - Rhytm-Al-Ism
Twinz - Conversation
Battlecat - Gumbo Roots
Kam - Made In America
BG Knoccout & Dresta - Real Brothas
Jayo Felony - Whatcha Gonna Do
Field Mob- Lightpoles
PW & Cham - Get Ya Mind Correct
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Thun

Post by Thun »

The Nonce- World Ultimate
Haiku De'Tat- Self-Titled
Down South - Lost In Brooklyn
Boogiemonsters - Riders Of The Storm

budhaa head

Post by budhaa head »

Fat 4 Ever - Black Cocaine W No Shame

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

Outkast - Southernplaylisticfunkymuzik
Raekwon - Only Built for Cuban Linx
Lost Boyz - Legal Drug Money
Dr. Dre - Chronic 2001
Frankie Cutlass - Politics and Bullshit

wheels

Post by wheels »

The Cold Vein

jvg

Post by jvg »

zygmontone

Post by zygmontone »

Thun wrote:The Nonce- World Ultimate
:upload:

zygmontone wrote:also, i've never heard that doveshack or the nonce album, would someone up those if they had a chance?

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

zygmontone wrote:
Thun wrote:The Nonce- World Ultimate
:upload:

zygmontone wrote:also, i've never heard that doveshack or the nonce album, would someone up those if they had a chance?

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Damn I just got reminded that I kinda miss that Haiku D'Etat. Easily the best liveband album I've heard, excellent summer chunes too.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB