album regrets

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

"Equinox" and "Third Eye Vision" are terrific albums. Fuck the bullshit.

Now, High & Mighty? Wow, that's fucking terrible. Jason should have locked the thread right after that post.

The beats are outstanding, though. Good thing that they released the instrumental LP.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

ogie

Post by ogie »

that fake-ass-beatles song is fucking atrocious. bad news when the best song on the album is the intro.

DLG

Post by DLG »

I like 8 diagrams. Could have been an excellent album if everyone showed up as prepared and on point as Meth. I think Rza killed more than 75 percent of the album beatwise.

B'Tol

Post by B'Tol »

Icesickle wrote:And that Pharoahe album isn't that bad at all. Desire was a great track too. The mixtape was still a lot better though.
:upload:

Nathan Blaze

Post by Nathan Blaze »

DLG wrote:
jamrage wrote:Image
I was so psyched about this because I still think "What it is" is one of the best rap songs I've heard in the last 5 years.

But the album is a stinker.
easily the worst album he's been a part of

i paid for it twice

fuck

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

cenzi wrote:saddest let down in my life.

it's been a real long time, but i think i remember liking this album.

and i remember disliking q-tip's album. but again, i don't think i've listened to either album since maybe 2001.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

peanut butter wrote:
battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:
I agree for the most part, but this had a few hits like "Get Rich to This".... and "Rebuilding" is one of the best Dungeon Fam songs ever

PEACE
i stayed away from this album quick after a few snippets i heard.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

RAZAH CUTZ

Re: album regrets

Post by RAZAH CUTZ »

The Afronaut wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Image
I didnt think this album was that bad at all. As already stated, the production and guest spots were definitely on point, and Eon was FAR from the worst I was hearing around the time this dropped.
co-sign that....i liked most of the High And Mighty's releases too...

LOL @ Eon though....yeah, sometimes he was on some other shit wt the lyrics...

yo, that Phife album was nice, fuck the bullshit...

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

DLG wrote:Could have been an excellent album if everyone showed up as prepared and on point as Meth.
I dont know about "excellent" but you make a VERY good point here.

Loki

Post by Loki »

Tired & Broke wrote:Image
:larry:

vaporized

Post by vaporized »

the BCC crew album from 97 ('For The People'?). I thought it was weak considering just a year previous Nocturnal and Da Storm came out which are borderline classics...also OC - Smoke & Mirrors, MF Doom/Dangermouse 'Dangerdoom' album, and Chino XL - Poison Pen. In all cases it's a question of wack beats, and not the emceeing, which is the let-down

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

Sadly I have bought plenty of mediocre-wack albums in my day, mostly because I don't really download music and have made many blind purchases. These albums are either completely wack or have only a few cuts I like.

Jeru the Damaja- Divine Design
Dice Raw- Reclaiming the Dead(terrible)
Jedi Mind Tricks- The Psycho-Social LP
Jedi Mind Tricks- Legacy of the Blood
Method Man- 4:21
Killah Priest- View from Masada(I'm a big KP fan, but this is bad)
LMNO- Leave My Name Out
Prince Paul- Politics of the Business
Nas- I Am
Nas- Stillmatic
Raekwon- Immobilarity
Last Emperor- Music, Magic, Myth(such a disappointment)
Murs- F'Real
Murs and Mums the Word- Murs Rules the World
Murs and Slug- Felt 2
Cappadonna- The Ying and the Yang(horrible, possibly the worst album I have ever bought)
Eminem- The Eminem Show
Q-Unique- Vengeance is Mine
Living Legends- Defenders of the Underworld
Mr. Complex- Hold This Down(bought it off him for 10 francs in Switzerland)
Bobby Digital(Rza)- Digital Bullet
Phife Dawg- Ventilation DA LP
Inspectah Deck- The Resident Patient
Superrappin 2(does have one of my favorite Pete Rock cuts in "This Is What They Meant")
Grand Agent- By Design
Tash- Rap Life
Royce the 5'9- Death is Certain
Prodigy- H.N.I.C.
Masta Ace- A Long Hot Summer
Akrobatik- Balance
MED- Push Comes to Shove
Swollen Members- Bad Dreams
Capital D and Molemen- Writer's Block(if the beats weren't so soft and boring, this would be solid. Great conceptual lyrics)
Cage- Movies for the Blind
Blackalicious- Blazing Arrow
X-Ecutioners- Built from Scratch
Jay-Z- Vol. 2...Hard Knock Life
This Boston Mix
DJ Rhemmatic Mix(almost saved by Jay Dee- Fuck the Police)
Ground Original compilation #1
Louis Logic- Misery Loves Comedy
Pete Rock- Soul Survivor 2(another huge letdown)

The Bza
O.G. Status

Post by The Bza »

aeokq wrote:

Murs- F'Real
Murs and Slug- Felt 2
Learnt your lesson about buying Murs albums yet?!?! :lol:

reevolution

Post by reevolution »

Hell's Winter.

I actually bought it the day it dropped unfortunately.

:sad:

reevolution

Post by reevolution »

I think I've listened to 8 Diagrams with vocals no more than 3 times.

The instrumentals are great. I love listening to RZA arrange actual live compositions.

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

The Bza wrote:
aeokq wrote:

Murs- F'Real
Murs and Slug- Felt 2
Learnt your lesson about buying Murs albums yet?!?! :lol:
Actually I'm sorta glad I remained persistent because I really like 3:16 and Murray's Revenge. Of course 9th Wonder had a lot to do with that. The End of the Beginning was somewhat disappointing, but it had enough good songs to not be a regret.

I've got to strongly disagree with these choices:

Organized Konfusion- The Equinox. No Stress: The Extinction Agenda, but this album has more than it's fair share of good songs. Emceeing is above average, beats are solid, and the concept is executed well.

Hieroglyphics- Third Eye Vision. Man, this shit is classic. Great chemistry amongst the group, and the production is fresh.

Cappadonna- The Pillage. Admittedly Cappa is not that good of an emcee, some would say wack, but he at least has an original style. I find him to be decent on this. The production on this album is goddam slamming, so him just being able to ride the beat is enough to make it a good album. Compare this to The Ying and the Yang, which as I mentioned is the worst album I have ever bought.

Apathy- Eastern Philosophy. I thought this was very solid. Not much else to say.

Dangerdoom. I suppose if you aren't an MF Doom fan this would suck no matter what. I think this shit is mad dope, Danger Mouse's beats complemented Doom's style and subject matter very well.

And I like Home Field Advantage. It certainly has it's fair share of weak songs, but Top Prospects and Open Mic Night alone almost make it worth the purchase.

DLG

Post by DLG »

aeokq wrote:
Dangerdoom. I suppose if you aren't an MF Doom fan this would suck no matter what. I think this shit is mad dope, Danger Mouse's beats complemented Doom's style and subject matter very well.
agree with this 100 percent.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

I had it sent to me and wouldn't even pay $1 for it, it was very disappointing.

In the end I sold it.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

I distinctly remember being at Rasputins on Telegraph in 97 and finding out Del had a new cassette-only album. After No Need I was hyped as hell. Dude I was with was talking about how this was the album that got Del dropped from Elektra, and being a cornball trueskool westcoast hiphop nerd at the time, I thought that meant the album was going to be even doper, and way beyond the comprehension of the suits or whoever it was I supposed to blame for albums that sucked. I bought that shit and skipped football practice that day just so I could listen to it a couple times right away, and it was easily the most disappointing, cornball, piece of shit album I had ever heard to date. Shit was so bad it basically turned me off to Del and all Hiero until Casual made his comeback. That album was so bad that it turned into a running joke.

Urkel 1: When do the games begin, guys???
Urkel 2: When you're hanging with your friends!!!!

Future Development, what a piece of fucking shit and fuck anybody who defends it.

Thun

Post by Thun »

PopeyeJones wrote:Image

I distinctly remember being at Rasputins on Telegraph in 97 and finding out Del had a new cassette-only album. After No Need I was hyped as hell. Dude I was with was talking about how this was the album that got Del dropped from Elektra, and being a cornball trueskool westcoast hiphop nerd at the time, I thought that meant the album was going to be even doper, and way beyond the comprehension of the suits or whoever it was I supposed to blame for albums that sucked. I bought that shit and skipped football practice that day just so I could listen to it a couple times right away, and it was easily the most disappointing, cornball, piece of shit album I had ever heard to date. Shit was so bad it basically turned me off to Del and all Hiero until Casual made his comeback. That album was so bad that it turned into a running joke.

Future Development, what a piece of fucking shit and fuck anybody who defends it.
It's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. In fact it isn't bad at all. "Del's Nightmare" and "Love Is Worth" are nearly perfect songs.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Loved the hell out of Dare, dug Whut?, enjoyed Muddy, heard this and wondered what happened to Red.

EarForGoodMusic

Post by EarForGoodMusic »

Shup Diddy
Nigga, Shup

Post by Shup Diddy »

Thun wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:Image

It's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. In fact it isn't bad at all. "Del's Nightmare" and "Love Is Worth" are nearly perfect songs.
people's choices in this thread are getting more and more faggish by the minute

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

professor griff kaos II wizdom
divine styler
hi teks album
some abortion of an album by latyrx
legend of liquid swords
and whatever that boot camp clik album was called

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

clark bent wrote:some abortion of an album by latyrx
:lol:

I always thought that Lyrics Born was terrible. I doubt that's an unpopular opinion, though.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

Thun

Post by Thun »

Roy Johnson wrote:

I always thought that Lyrics Born was terrible. I doubt that's an unpopular opinion, though.
Latyrx is seriously the worst rap group to ever be lauded by "heads." Fucking atrocious.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Thun wrote:
Roy Johnson wrote:

Latyrx is seriously the worst rap group to ever be lauded by "heads." Fucking atrocious.
as a rule of thumb it's a bad idea to support anything with a name you're not sure how to pronounce
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Thun wrote: It's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. In fact it isn't bad at all. "Del's Nightmare" and "Love Is Worth" are nearly perfect songs.
Lyrically those are two of the better songs, but as far as delivery, I think you and I have differed before on Hiero and delivery/corniness. After the first two Dels, the first Souls, the first Casual and that first Extra P album I found Hiero virtually unlistenable as they moved closer to the the turn of the century underground aesthetic (which I've characterized as offbeat shrieking masquerading as lyrical lyricism and genre appropriate shitty,lo-fi production -- I know you disagree).
Shup Diddy wrote: through the late 90s and into the 2000s Del was getting more and more faggish by the minute

Thun

Post by Thun »

I'd bet dollars to organic vegan donuts that you're a Latryx fan, though.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

ardamus wrote:
peanut butter wrote:
battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:
I agree for the most part, but this had a few hits like "Get Rich to This".... and "Rebuilding" is one of the best Dungeon Fam songs ever

PEACE
i stayed away from this album quick after a few snippets i heard.
But do we all remember how critically acclaimed this album was? It was in Rolling Stone, Vibe and Spin's "Top 10 of the year." It was jocked HARD by many music critics at the dawn of the "Mos Def is a conscious radio darling" era. Super misleading, super awful.