General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

ardamus
O.G. Status

Wale's Attention Deficit (preview)

Post by ardamus »

no audio. just a blog post.

http://kevinnottingham.com/2009/08/10/w ... more-18081

[quote]A few of you mentioned in our Most Anticipated 4th Quarter Releases post that you were eagerly awaiting the debut album from DMV artist Wale. The album doesnג€™t come out until September 22nd, but executive producer Mark Ronson recently held a listening session and Rap-Up.com was there to give us their take on the album. No audio associated here, but itג€™s cool to read what we can expected to hear. Check it after the cutג€¦. by the way, whereג€™s ג€œChillinג€?

1. ג€œTriumphג€
Produced by Dave Sitek

On Daveג€™s first foray into hip-hop production, he crafts a jazzy tune, replete with big horns, to support Waleג€™s lyrical celebrity hotbed. The rapper shouts out Hollywood staples like Lily Allen, Slumdog Millionaire, and, most importantly, a man that taught him to do for himself-Kanye West: ג€œI asked Mr. West for some help/ But I realized us new ni**as gotta do for ourselves.ג€

2. ג€œPretty Girlsג€ featuring Gucci Mane
Produced by Best Kept Secret

The title pretty much sums up the type of woman Wale has his eye on. A tune that blatantly speaks to his female fan base, this is the only record on the album that features the signature go-go sound. A sample from the 1970s track ג€œGirlsג€ by The Moments & The Whatnauts, Gucci Maneג€™s Southern flavor, and incessant hand-clapping on the chorus (reminding Ugly Bettys to ג€œbe quietג€) are key standouts.

3. ג€œMirrorsג€ featuring Bun B
Produced by Mark Ronson

Both Wale and Bun B spar with the ominous tune-a mix of gothic guitars, soulful crooning from Phantom Planetג€™s Alex Greenwald, and heavy drums-to contend for the title of ג€œwhoג€™s real.ג€ The D.C. native lyrically jabs at his doubtful opponents on the chorus, rhyming, ג€œMirror, mirror on the wall/ Whoג€™s the realest of them all/ Is it right, is it wrong/ They ainג€™t hard, swear to God/ These ni**as ainג€™t real at all,ג€ while Bun plays no games, ג€œג€¦ Iג€™m gonג€™ keep it G/ If you canג€™t look up at yourself, how you gonג€™ look at me.ג€

4. ג€œContemplateג€ featuring Rihanna
Produced by Syience

The first question that comes to mind upon listening to this dark, thought-provoking record: is that Rihanna on the chorus? Producer Syience sampled the pop chanteuseג€™s voice from her Good Girl Gone Bad album cut ג€œQuestion Existing.ג€ She sings (with some added tweaks) over a grandiose rhythm, shedding light on inner turmoil with lines such as ג€œWho am I living for?ג€ while the rapper questions his place on the hip-hop radar, spitting quick brain buzzers like, ג€œAm I doing this for them or me?ג€ and ג€œPlay this shit while you contemplate.ג€

5. ג€œ90210″
Produced by Mark Ronson

ג€œThe Perez Hilton angle,ג€ according to Ronson, donג€™t expect to find silicone and Botox applauded anywhere over the Mario Bros.-sounding beat. Beginning with a sea of electronic pulses that scream ג€œhigh on life,ג€ Wale raps about the stereotypical L.A. girl hoping to achieve celebrity by any means necessary. One verse through, and the chorus sticks: ג€œShe throws up whatever she eats/ She leaves the bathroom with a nose bleed/ Regular girl, celebrity dreams/ Sheג€™s 90210.ג€

6. ג€œWorld Tourג€ featuring Jazmine Sullivan
Produced by Cool & Dre

When Jazmine Sullivanג€™s name is read, one hopes to hear the R&B singer bang out a stellar chorus to support Waleג€™s stories of leaving his D.C. ghetto behind. But high hopes are extinguished once all Sullivan belts out are a few short ג€œoohh oohhs.ג€ The cherry on this hip-hop sundae is the triumphant beat, which opens with a piano solo and immediately hits a heavy drum and bass pattern, and Waleג€™s no-holds-barred chorus, where he rhymes, ג€œWe on a world tour, Wale ya man/ Hustling each and every ghetto with a mic in my hand/ New York, VA, D.C., get paid.ג€

7. ג€œTV in the Radioג€ featuring Kג€™naan
Produced by Dave Sitek

Wale puts forth a braggadocio vibe over a rocking beat featuring a hint of an electric guitar and classic horns. The rapper wants to punctuate the fact that, like Lil Wayne, motherfucker, heג€™s ill. Lines like, ג€œEverybodyג€™s on me like the ג€˜A Milliג€™ beat,ג€ show and prove his point. Supporter Kג€™naan overshadowed his hip-hop friend, delivering a frenzied verse, replete with pompous attitude: ג€œIf we wasnג€™t so original, weג€™d be criminal.ג€

8. ג€œDiaryג€ featuring Marsha Ambrosius
Produced by The Sleepwalkers

This one has ג€œsoundtrack to a hip-hop fairytaleג€ written all over it. The beat twists and cascades underneath Marsha Ambrosiusג€™ troubled lyrics, which feature sentiments of a girl having a hard time holding her own. Wale opens the pages of his hip-hop diary to help soothe her soul: ג€œWife, you deserve the label/ But youג€™ve been hurt before so you donג€™t think youג€™re able.ג€

9. ג€œBeautiful Blissג€ featuring Melanie Fiona & J. Cole
Produced by DJ Green Lantern & Mark Ronson

Remember the Folgers coffee slogan? Well, the best part of waking up will be playing this record. Begin the day with this uptempo slice of soulful delight, brought in part by Melanie Fiona, who gleefully belts out, ג€œItג€™s a beautiful day,ג€ at its opening. A big beat backed by horns and a rampant piano, listeners are directed by Wale to focus on the prize at the end of each day. The pi
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

thought post was about his schizophrenic twitters

Nathan Blaze

Post by Nathan Blaze »

Balzac wrote:thought post was about his schizophrenic twitters
his twitters make me hate him

hopefully the music is better

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

I'm gonna cop because he's slowly been winning me over(mixtape about nothing, back to the feature). His flow is weird to me but it works on the beats he uses. Is this the final tracklisting. Good idea using best kept secret and tv on the radio both are dope underused producers.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

yeah on the real, Best Kept Secret is ridiculous to me, i dont see how more cats aint fuckin with their production, but i guess that could change soon.

ANU

Post by ANU »

blessingindisguise wrote: tv on the radio are dope underused producers.
:roll:

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

<div><object width="420" height="339"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/xace10_ri-wale_webcam" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/xace10_ri-wale_webcam" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="339" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>
<b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/xace10_r ... webcam">RI: Wale</a></b>
<i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/yardie4lifev ... ></i></div>

cool that this was actually on BET

SuperFeen

Post by SuperFeen »

waiting for this

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

Employee wrote:Image
thats a dope cover
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SeanieCameras

Post by SeanieCameras »

Piff Tannen wrote:yeah on the real, Best Kept Secret is ridiculous to me, i dont see how more cats aint fuckin with their production, but i guess that could change soon.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Nathan Blaze wrote:
Balzac wrote:thought post was about his schizophrenic twitters
his twitters make me hate him

hopefully the music is better
co-signed :owens: :megaman:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remo the Great

Post by Remo the Great »

Piff Tannen wrote:yeah on the real, Best Kept Secret is ridiculous to me, i dont see how more cats aint fuckin with their production, but i guess that could change soon.
Prolly cause they're mostly known for their go-go steez. Alot of other regions have a SEVERE hate of go-go.
GoddyNoMore... You can call me Alex.

The Beat Break - A Blog dedicated to Hip-Hop Producers, their music, and their tools.
Alex Minor Dot Com - New name. Get Used to it.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Wale - Ice & Rain (prod. Cool & Dre)
http://usershare.net/7r3cejeoab9a

This is dope. Not sure why this isn't on the album.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Good for him
MTV has tapped hip-hop's newest challenger, Wale and the legendary go-go band UCB as the official house band for the 2009 VMAs, providing the night's soundtrack for the hottest music awards show this year. Not only will Wale perform his new hit single "World Tour," but he will also collaborate with artists including The All-American Rejects, Pitbull and 3OH!3 while putting his own unique spin on some of the biggest songs of the year.

"This is a monumental point in my career," says Wale. "As an unknown artist, it was an honor for me to perform with Mark Ronson at the 2007 VMAs. This year, UCB and I, will be adding an extra element to the VMAs as we bring our signature sound of go-go music to the stage."

As the anticipation continues to build and a new release date for Attention Deficit (Allido/Interscope) has been set for October 20th, Wale readies the release of his second single "World Tour" featuring Jazmine Sullivan. As "World Tour" rides the success of first single "Chillin,'" which heavily impacted airwaves this spring, the go-go infused banger, "Pretty Girls" featuring Gucci Mane, has become this summer's ultimate club anthem.

Along with executive producers Ronson ("Mirrors" feat. Bun B, "90210"), and Rich Kleiman, other producers on "Attention Deficit" include Cool and Dre ("Chillin'" and "World Tour" feat. Jazmine Sullivan), Dave Sitek of TV On The Radio ("Warrior" feat. K'Naan), Sean C and LV ("OG"), and Sleepwalkers ("Diary" feat. Marsha Ambrosius).

Proclaimed "The Great Rap Hope" by The Washington Post (October 2007), Wale fulfills his promise of a new voice in hip-hop with Attention Deficit.

For more information on Wale, please visit www.walemusic.com.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

he ain't no "great rap hope" with his limited scope of subjects and style, but he's a decent addition to the year's debuts.
that song i heard 'fire and ice' is okay but nothing to shit your pants over.
Wale is above average, but ain't a game changer.

p.s. let's just pretend that first single 'Chillin' didn't happen and pick up from here, mmmkay
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;