Your best/worst experience at a live hip hop show

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Futura

Your best/worst experience at a live hip hop show

Post by Futura »

Best, Hi-Tek seeing me rap every word to Mos Def/Black Star set at Rock The Bells 2009 in Toronto...... he later introduced me to Talib Kweli.

Worst, going to an Atmosphere show only to realize when I get there it is 19+.......... I spent the night outside the venue then went home 2hrs later.

ACTHEPD
Location: HiphopPhilosophy.com Radio ... HipHopPhilosophy.blogspot.com

Post by ACTHEPD »

Raisin Hell Tour 87 = best ... Whodini stole the show ...

Worst ... ??? Lots tied ... But Kool Keith has done some of the best and worst performances I've ever seen ...

Also, nothing is better than BDP ...
myspace.com/theprogramdirector
HipHopPhilosophy.com
HipHopPhilosophy.blogspot.com
Martin wrote:i gotta be honest. acthepd is by far the biggest self aggrandizing faggot (outside of mindbender) on this website but he does have damn good taste and mixing skills
SCARLENE wrote:THAT LOCATION SUCKS...ONLY REASON I NOTICED YOUR STORE WAS I AM USUALLY STUCK IN TRAFFIC THERE, & OH MY GOD ACS STORE IS RIGHT THERE

maclethal

Post by maclethal »

ACTHEPD wrote:
Also, nothing is better than BDP ...

I disagree.

DMX is one of the best live performers in the game.

Followed by The Game. He's one of the best liver performers in on the mic.

Followed by Mike and Jim Jones both.
A tuna that smells like pussy is better than a pussy that smells like tuna. -Anonymous

Futura

Post by Futura »

Tech N9ne rips shit. He is a great live performer. He has full on dance routines and shit.

This gets me all the time

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CNArCKuSpe0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CNArCKuSpe0&hl ... 2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

Shup Diddy
Nigga, Shup

Post by Shup Diddy »

this could count as best/worst

at palookaville(RIP) back in 01, living legends show. one of the dudes from the opening act decide to stage dive while only 10 people were on the floor. he dives, and takes my homie completely out the game. the look on his face when dude dove toward him was a sight to see.

at smoking grooves '96 with my aunts. busta comes out, going wild, throwing tapes in the audience. my aunts basically invented the matrix move that night dodging the tapes

RAZAH CUTZ

Post by RAZAH CUTZ »

best = 1) Rahzel and JS-1 live....hands down the two best at their respective crafts....JS did all the tricks, even the foot cross fade....Rahzel was on point and mad personable.....It was a small venue somewhat so I got a pretty good seat....

2) Dead Prez rockin out at Cervantes here in Denver....they showed up late, so they did an extra 40 minutes and ran thru some new material with Umi and even stayed afterward and let everyone get flicks....it got so damn live in there, seemed like every damn person in the audience was puffin on a blunt, a great, great show that peaked when they performed Bigger than Hip-Hop

worst = sorry to say it but a Wu-Tang show....they let local cats open up and they were ass, on top of that they were like 2 hrs. late and I had bad seats....show had to be stopped 3 times, once for sound/equipment probs, then for two fights....the Wu bretheren were trying their best but i had aa bad seat and it was just a waste of 30 bucks man....
Last edited by RAZAH CUTZ on Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Best: Edan - Just all around killed it.

Worst: GZA. Wu tangs greatest hits, as performed by only GZA, with him saying about every 10th word, and pointing the mic at the crowd for the rest.

I bomb
socrates
hypotheses can't define
mockeries
possibly

Futura

Post by Futura »

Moolah wrote:Best: Edan - Just all around killed it.

Worst: GZA. Wu tangs greatest hits, as performed by only GZA, with him saying about every 10th word, and pointing the mic at the crowd for the rest.

I bomb
socrates
hypotheses can't define
mockeries
possibly
:rofl:

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Worst - Waited through six hours of forgettable irritating charisma vacuums for KRS-ONE to take the stage only to have him no-show, but the host promises us a "just-as-legendary" headliner. Out comes Chip Fu who lip-synchs two new songs and then says the seven words at a rap show every fan hates to hear: "So, how many of y'all like reggae?" He then lipsynchs a song that has the pitch of his voice shifted waaaay high so he's not even trying, walks off the stage, and security tells the 15 of us still there that we need to leave.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

hell0maryjane

Post by hell0maryjane »

best: redman/method man/ghostface killah. WILD as fuck

worst: atmosphere only because it was an all ages show

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:Worst - Waited through six hours of forgettable irritating charisma vacuums for KRS-ONE to take the stage only to have him no-show, but the host promises us a "just-as-legendary" headliner. Out comes Chip Fu who lip-synchs two new songs and then says the seven words at a rap show every fan hates to hear: "So, how many of y'all like reggae?" He then lipsynchs a song that has the pitch of his voice shifted waaaay high so he's not even trying, walks off the stage, and security tells the 15 of us still there that we need to leave.
:hooray:

senorhaha

Post by senorhaha »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:Worst - Waited through six hours of forgettable irritating charisma vacuums for KRS-ONE to take the stage only to have him no-show, but the host promises us a "just-as-legendary" headliner. Out comes Chip Fu who lip-synchs two new songs and then says the seven words at a rap show every fan hates to hear: "So, how many of y'all like reggae?" He then lipsynchs a song that has the pitch of his voice shifted waaaay high so he's not even trying, walks off the stage, and security tells the 15 of us still there that we need to leave.
i dont know how this can be beaten

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

I went to a BCC/MOP show once. I sat through Pumpkinhead and a terrible Buckshot/Sean Price show only to be informed that MOP wasnt coming.

The best was probably Juvenile. So much energy and record quality sound outdoors in front of an all white crowd at like 7 pm in the Tulane quad in the rain. I saw Sage Francis once in New Orleans and it was actually a really good time despite the local opening act and some faggot who rapped with a harmonica. And some hippy chick informing me that New Mexico had the best rap scene in America. Sage puts on a great show. For a huge faggot who I want to fight badly because of his beliefs. Well, I have seen the Roots a bunch of times, so them. Except on the Electric Circus tour. So terrible.

I dont do to rap concerts very often.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Moolah wrote:
:hooray:
:rofl:

Futura

Post by Futura »

hell0maryjane wrote:worst: atmosphere only because it was an all ages show
what do you have against young fans?

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

This owns.

Conspiracy

Post by Conspiracy »

AZ/Freeway/Mr Lif/Pumpkinhead, april 2009-where I randomly met metro [S.A Smash], and talked to him about loving camutao [love] and I rhymed a verse from off the MHz album for metro, out or love and respect for camutao [love], while we were out front of the concert, having cigarettes. AZ did 'mo money mo murder mo homicide','undeniable', and 'sugar hill', ALL FAVORITES, and Freeway did 'what we do','flipside' and some other awesome commercial jems

-Tribe,Souls of Mischief,DeLaSoul,BlackSheep-ottawa 1997
after the show at like 6AM, we left the venue, and we were eating breakfast in a cafe, then Posdonus, Dove AND maseo ALL came in and ate breakfast at the table right next to us. I said, hi and kept eating, CUZ AT MY TABLE I WAS HAVING BREAKFAST WITH opio and tajai AND APlus

-necro gave me a pound at the end of his concert in March 2009, right when he was getting in his explorer. I talked with him at the merchandise table for like 20 minutes about ,"how does he rhyme so complex and perfect"-'he said, "it takes work". He also did the superseriouslysicksavage song "Suffocated to Death By God's Shadow"
excellent

-At ROCK THE BELLS 2009 in toronto-M.O.P did 'live from ground zero'ILL
Crooked I did some unknown unreleased verse with Slaughterhouse.ILL
Saw PMD in REAL LIFE for the first time, ever. Dream come true-to-life
RZA blazed a solo set.Another dream artist fantasy coming real
Nas and DamianMarley did a remix to "EXODUS", and it was 4 long verses

bad*THE ROOTS didn't show up at rock the bells. Neither did LaCokaNostra

bad*at busta rhymes in edmonton's west edmonton mall, some black guy got sliced up when there was a fight/rush riot after coat check at the end of the show at 3AM. Ambulance delays and blood all over like 40 people
-BUT-BUSTA HAD ON HIS RINGS AND NECLASES OF DIAMOND ICE AND WHEN THE CLUB LIGHTS WERE SHINING EVERYWHERE, OFF OF THE ICE, YOU COULD SEE LITTLE RAINBOW HOLOGRAMS TWINKLING IN THE CLUB, ALL OVER EVERYWHERE, LIKE LSD TRIPPIN' ON CRYSTAL KOOL-AID, TYPE-TRIP. REALLY FRESH. but i feel sorry for the violence victim

*and spliffstar did some song-i don't know what it was called----SO BASS KICK KILLER/MIC HARDROCKER STYLE, I WILL KNOW THAT explosions and gunshots still make a show exciting and extra-entertaining.

-smoked a blunt with Helta Skeltah aftershow backstage in 1996 in ottawa
met Dru Ha and BUCKSHOT. The female friend of mine that got me and 5 other nextraterrestrials MCs -IN- to the show, later told us that when she went on the tourbus later that night, she fucked ALL 7 members of THE BOOT CAMP CLICK !

-passed a 27 gram blunt to XZIBIT at a show when he opened up for THE ALKAHOLIKS, when "paparazzi" came out , summer of 1996. He smoked for like 6 minutes, then he passed it to Tash and around to the crowd.ILL

-opened for Del/Planet Asia and Afu-Ra[his dreads were down to the floor]

got nuff free spliffs at shows....too many to write about. e and liquor, too!
www.conspiracyscreations.com
everybody sharing all the food, liquor, drugs, and money for free spiritual knowledge and PUSSY....
extraterrestrial illumination has been discovered!(Really.)
top 10-BUSTA-RZA-AZ-REDMAN-NAPTRON-APATHY-ABSTRACT RUDE-BLACK THOUGHT-DR DRE-SCARFACE (and Supernatural as a bonus 11*)
2010 C

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

One of the best...

KRS in Indy...sure he got there mad late, but once he was in the building all hell broke loose...killed it, just killed it.

The best part was during the middle of the show he realized that the TV above the bar was on MTV...he stops mid jam DEMANDS that they turn that shit off immediately or the show was over...the bartender looking mad shook hurriedly turned it off and KRS goes right back into it w/out missing a beat. Crowd control x100.

Also any Perceptionists show Ive ever been to them dudes REALLY know how to rock shit period.

The Aluminum Falcon

Post by The Aluminum Falcon »

If you haven't seen R.A. The Rugged Man live yet do it, just don't bring your girlfriend.

DLG

Post by DLG »

The Afronaut wrote: Also any Perceptionists show Ive ever been to them dudes REALLY know how to rock shit period.
THIS.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Best: Organized Konfusion and Doug E. Fresh in the summer of '97

Worst: Sadat X drunk outta his mind in 2000 or so

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

maclethalcuntfucker wrote:

really? not even just hating, but the Game show you saw made you classify him as one of the best performers you ever seen? interesting...

he was only above average when I saw him... competent, but not spectacular.

Ironically,
the worst thing I saw, was Game strip tease the crowd. From wearing a Jay-Z spray painted shirt, to a white tee, to a wife beater, to topless, with his pants sagging down to his damn knees, he did the whole Doja bit for the crowd. Then he drank that iced tea in the Hennessey bottle and pretended he was drunk offa one swig. That was laaaame :jayz:

picking a best moment is almost impossible. When Q-Tip let me rhyme all of Phife's lyrics from 'Check the Rhime', that was pretty awesome. :cheers:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dids

Post by Dids »

Worst: Mos Def by far. Horrible sound, too much singing and horrible new Mos Def music. It was hosted by Carlos Mencia. FML.

Best:Brother Ali @ Vera Project in Seattle. Nice small venue and a really excited crowd.

blackaspirin

Post by blackaspirin »

shots fired. this is both the best and the worst at the same time...

Thun

Post by Thun »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
maclethalcuntfucker wrote:

really? not even just hating, but the Game show you saw made you classify him as one of the best performers you ever seen? interesting...

he was only above average when I saw him... competent, but not spectacular.

Ironically,
the worst thing I saw, was Game strip tease the crowd. From wearing a Jay-Z spray painted shirt, to a white tee, to a wife beater, to topless, with his pants sagging down to his damn knees, he did the whole Doja bit for the crowd. Then he drank that iced tea in the Hennessey bottle and pretended he was drunk offa one swig. That was laaaame :jayz:

picking a best moment is almost impossible. When Q-Tip let me rhyme all of Phife's lyrics from 'Check the Rhime', that was pretty awesome. :cheers:
Can someone reup the photoshopped image that corresponds to this event?

Anyways, one of the best concerts I've ever been to was MF Doom show at SOB's I think when he got knocked the fuck out by his hypeman. This was in 2000 I think. Atmosphere, Micranots, and Science of Life performed that day too, and all had great live shows. And Mindbender was an opening act. He ripped it, actually, so much so that he impressed a pre-racist Will High to cop his tape. Unfortunately, this Mindbender character grew up to become a tranny fag with unlistenable music. Oh well.

step one

Post by step one »

BEST:

- Big Daddy Kane back in 05 - he started with 'Nuff Respect' and was right in my face when he did the "B-I-G D-A-D-D-Y.." bit in 'Aint No Half Steppin' :bow:

- Public Enemy in 95 - I was only 17 and by then they had a whole catalogue of classics to rip through. Same with Ice Cube in 94.

- Gang Starr in 04 - they did 2 hours and performed just about every joint worth doing.

- Klashnekoff (uk rapper) at Fabric in London. He did his version of Welcome To Jamrock , which was brand new at the time, and the place went apeshit. :cheers:

- Cappadonna doing his verse from 'Winter Warz' acapella at the end of a Wu show when all the others had left the stage. :wutang:

- DJ wise, I saw Spinna and Kenny Dope back2back (literally) on 4 decks in 99. Awesome.
BAD

Have been pretty lucky for the most part but GZA was pretty boring. He did all of 'Liquid Swords' in order, in its entirety but then spent another hour doing random verses, freestyles, making speeches and letting his weed carriers rock. :roll: That was the show a couple years ago where he dissed 50 and Souljah Boy.

also - WFT is AC the Homo doing posting here. Surely thats a ban?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

The Afronaut wrote:One of the best...

KRS in Indy...sure he got there mad late, but once he was in the building all hell broke loose...killed it, just killed it.
I saw KRS in indy around 04 or something, it was great for the half hour or so that he performed after he showed up at 1:30 or so. Then he stopped and lectured about christianity for 15 minutes and suddenly disappeared.

But when he was rapping it was great, he was signing autographs too, signed my criminal minded cd while he was rappin, I remember I couldn't reach to get it to him but the stranger standing next to me took it and handed it to him for me, that's some hip hop brotherhood or some corny shit like that

Best show I ever went too, honestly, was Of Mexican Descent and Busdriver with Omid dj

Xaula Zany

Post by Xaula Zany »

KRS has put on some of the best shows I've seen. He also put on the worst show I've ever seen. Last year in Boston. I won't go into explicit detail, but for someone with a string of undeniable hits it was amazing to witness how bad his set could get. People were filing out of the club like "What the FUCK is this?" Haha. Worst show I've ever seen, but also one of the weirdest things I've seen as well.

The most amazing hiphop show I've seen was Public Enemy with the whole crew in attendance (except Terminator X was replaced by Johnny Juice.) It was at the Middle East in Boston in early 2000 and they were filming for a live DVD. The show was 2 hours long and it stayed high energy the whole time. Griff got pissy at Flav for eating french fries full of ketchup during the performance. The S1W's were in full effect. Chuck and Flav were in prime form.

Out of up-and-coming hiphop acts I definitely think that Solillaquists of Sound have one of the best live shows. There are too many bad performers to name.
http://www.StrangeFamous.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MIKEY

Post by MIKEY »

Xaula Zany wrote:french fries full of ketchup
Where can I buy these?

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Futura wrote:
hell0maryjane wrote:worst: atmosphere only because it was an all ages show
what do you have against young fans?
I can't speak to hellomaryjane's experience but since that one video of atmospheres started getting played on mtv all the time their all ages shows audiences turned in to 100+ screaming 15 year old girls screaming to their friends about how dreamy slug is. it's painful.

EDIT: and in general underage hip-hop fans who "only listen to real hip-hop" are the worst people ever. I'm pretty sure you fit that description. you suck.