Artists you despise, that othas enjoy...

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Lurk Uno

Post by Lurk Uno »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Money Gripp wrote:
Snuggles the DESTROYER wrote:
Lurk Uno wrote:I basically despize any rapper who glorifies violence and having a materialistic lifestyle..

If their records or albums are over 40 percent of this kinda content, then I won't subscribe..
How's not listening to rap or metal or watching anything cool on TV working out for you?
No, this is a valuable post guys. I basically despise self-righteous faggots who jerk-off to Goodnight Moon every night and start their mornings by repeating self-affirming aphorisms in the mirror before running the risk of living life in the outside world for another dangerous day.

Without this post I wouldn't have known to give Lurk Uno the mindbender treatment.

:ignore:
ok

starks

Post by starks »

lupe fiasco

Lid

Post by Lid »

Jay-Z
T.I.
wayne

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

That's the second time I've heard someone question Face's lyricism on here lately. Seriously? He may not flip multis and you don't need a dictionary to figure out what he is talking about, but he is one of the best story tellers and he has verses that you can't help but remember. I'm not even his biggest fan or anything, but he is 10000000X the lyricist as most of the jocked "lyrical" rappers.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Julius Seizure wrote:That's the second time I've heard someone question Face's lyricism on here lately. Seriously? He may not flip multis and you don't need a dictionary to figure out what he is talking about, but he is one of the best story tellers and he has verses that you can't help but remember. I'm not even his biggest fan or anything, but he is 10000000X the lyricist as most of the jocked "lyrical" rappers.
I agree, to an extent.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Scarface is a multi-layered, multi-faced veteran. No doubt about that. But his name has only surfaced (specifically on message boards) in the not-too-distant past as some phenomenal, modern icon. I guarantee the seven out of the ten heaping praise on Face didn't even hear him/learn of his existence until the midway-point of 2008. And, no, that's not shit talk, that's historical record.

I've noticed Brother Ali and assorted "high profile" indie rappers name drop Face in intervies or YouTube and the ensuing bumrush of MP3 requests and the beatification-for-attention of hollow-headed fanboys is comical. Dude's opus is unquestionably his opener on "My Mind Is Playing Tricks On Me." How in the fuck do you ever top "I sit alone in my four-cornered room staring at candles?" Yeah, he's dropped jewels since, but nothing is as crucial as his performance on "My Mind....."

Sumthin_Funky

Post by Sumthin_Funky »

lil wayne should be on every list

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Employee wrote:Scarface is a multi-layered, multi-faced veteran. No doubt about that. But his name has only surfaced (specifically on message boards) in the not-too-distant past as some phenomenal, modern icon. I guarantee the seven out of the ten heaping praise on Face didn't even hear him/learn of his existence until the midway-point of 2008. And, no, that's not shit talk, that's historical record.

I've noticed Brother Ali and assorted "high profile" indie rappers name drop Face in intervies or YouTube and the ensuing bumrush of MP3 requests and the beatification-for-attention of hollow-headed fanboys is comical. Dude's opus is unquestionably his opener on "My Mind Is Playing Tricks On Me." How in the fuck do you ever top "I sit alone in my four-cornered room staring at candles?" Yeah, he's dropped jewels since, but nothing is as crucial as his performance on "My Mind....."
his first solo album is one of my favorite albums ever made. it's a classic.
everything after that, has ranged from great to "meh".

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Employee wrote:Scarface is a multi-layered, multi-faced veteran. No doubt about that. But his name has only surfaced (specifically on message boards) in the not-too-distant past as some phenomenal, modern icon. I guarantee the seven out of the ten heaping praise on Face didn't even hear him/learn of his existence until the midway-point of 2008. And, no, that's not shit talk, that's historical record.

Nah man, everyone was up on Scarface when the Fix dropped. That was 04 I believe? Having both Nas and Jigga on your record would do that for you, at that time. Not to mention the 3-4 Kanye beats. This was one of the earliest records to be embraced by advanced listeners right before everyone forgot they were huge Def Jux fans, right before Diplomatic Immunity made them forget completely.

He has been an internet credibility-booster ever since. This is because it's damn near impossible to dislike him if you like rap, aside from the My Homiez jawns his track-record is damn near spotless.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Kojak

Post by Kojak »

I agree with Employee, Scarface had his peak during the 90-94 era imho, his best material are his first three solo albums and his verses on The Geto Boys,We Can't Be Stopped and Till Death Do Us Part, a bunch of timeless classics. He continued dropping solid music for another 15 years, occasionally classic songs, but weaker albums that don't hold up to his first three solos. I can't really get into Untouchable, My Homies or any of his 00's albums aside from a few songs, I listen to the Fix a lot lately though. But like it was said, he's now the kosher veteran rapper to jock on the internet, because he remained relevant, collaborated with important younger artists and you can't really blame him for selling out, making wack and/or watered down music, following the latest faggy trends or anything else that caused most other veterans to fall from grace. Plus, to a lot of hip hop heads, he seems to be the legitimate southern top 5 candidate, it kind of has a revisionist vibe to it though...

Thun

Post by Thun »

The embrace of Scarface on this forum by former Anticon roadies is part of an ongoing attempt to launch MC UGK into the top 5 of all time. Wait and watch.