The Black Keys are making a hip hop album....

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

The Black Keys are making a hip hop album....

Post by intuition »

http://pitchfork.com/news/36478-listen- ... p-project/
pitchfork wrote:What the world needs now is a solid rap-rock project. At least that's what the Black Keys are thinking. Hence: Blakroc, a new hybrid endeavor spearheaded by the Ohio blues-rock duo and entrepreneurial MC Jim Jones, who alluded to the meeting of the minds on Twitter back in June. He was not kidding.

Blakroc's self-titled debut LP is out on November 27 and features an impressive guest list: Mos Def, RZA, Raekwon, Q-Tip, Ludacris, Pharoahe Monch, M.O.P.'s Billy Danze, Jones, and the late Ol' Dirty Bastard. Check out a trailer for the record with Rae reading lyrics off of his Blackberry here.

As an added bonus, we've got a track from the album called "Ain't Nothing Like You"-- with Mos Def singing, Jim Jones providing surprisingly emo verses, and the Keys' Dan Auerbach la la-ing in the background-- ready and willing to meet all of your audio streaming needs after the jump:

click the link up top to hear the first song.

i hope this comes out good, i'm a big black keys fan.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i like Auerbach, the 2 albums he did with Nathaniel Mayer for example are great

but this kind of high concept shit never works, see that NASA thing as the most recent example. there's several others. they're usually made with no thought beyond 'wouldn't it be cool/interesting to put a and b on the track together'. it's just an eye catching gimmick without much regard for things that actually make collaborations work.

the track on pfork pretty much proves my point. didn't mos def learn his lesson about singing already?

i hope something good does come from this but realistically i doubt there'll be more than 1 or 2 tracks (if that) that i would actually want to listen to more than once
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

heavy rhyme experience 2.0 B!

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Blockhead wrote:heavy rhyme experience 2.0 B!
LOL.....

christopher walken

Post by christopher walken »

Yeah, though the Black Keys are a favorite of mines, as well, I too think this won't be good on the whole. It so funny that someone like Damon Dash would be the catalyst here, and how everyone's on the BK's tip since the Dangermouse collab, which was probably their worst record, imho. Anyhow, I'd like to hear it, nonetheless.

ogie

Post by ogie »

looks cool, the black keys are awesome.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

christopher walken wrote: the Dangermouse collab, which was probably their worst record, imho.
really? i thought that record was great as a whole. very cohesive.

but anyhow...i don't have high expectations for this either, just thought it was cool they are working with jimmy, but i've always thought that someone should do a "black keys v. black moon" mixtape.

CasOne

Post by CasOne »

intuition wrote:
christopher walken wrote: the Dangermouse collab, which was probably their worst record, imho.
ditto, i thought the danger mouse black keys was a good record.

DULLAH

Post by DULLAH »

heard "I Got Mine" and immediately wanted to know who it was, checked the whole album, and the only keeper was "I got mine"

take note, black keys.

christopher walken

Post by christopher walken »

CasOne wrote:
intuition wrote:
ditto, i thought the danger mouse black keys was a good record.
I didn't say it was a "bad" record, just their worst. It was the first record they ever recorded in a proper studio, and it was painfully obvious to me, and i.m.h.o. they're a band that sounds better when recorded raw, R-A-W.

Cowy

Post by Cowy »

Should be tight

Stepfather

Post by Stepfather »

Black Keys live...they always come out to Wu-Tang...I thought they pushed a bit with Danger Mouse but this is just diving head first into a shallow rap pool.

I hope we get to hear more of Dan Auerbach than the rappers, I don't want this album to be all beats pushed out by The BK's and rap over it with no Dan Auerbach singing that he's a son of a bitch. More blues, more guitar, more drum, less rap.

I dunno.
The Jizzer!!!

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

The Black Keys are the shit and an album of just them and Jim Jones would be awesome. It's the Mos Def, RZA, Raekwon, Q-Tip, Ludacris, and Pharoahe Monch guest spots that assure mediocracy.

perabigail

Post by perabigail »

ObeseJesus wrote:It's the Mos Def, RZA, Raekwon, Q-Tip, Ludacris, and Pharoahe Monch guest spots that assure mediocracy.
so true.

Stepfather

Post by Stepfather »

ObeseJesus wrote:The Black Keys are the shit and an album of just them and Jim Jones would be awesome. It's the Mos Def, RZA, Raekwon, Q-Tip, Ludacris, and Pharoahe Monch guest spots that assure mediocracy.

yep.
The Jizzer!!!

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

would have been more psysed for a new Black Keys record.

DULLAH

Post by DULLAH »

perabigail wrote:
ObeseJesus wrote:It's the Mos Def, RZA, Raekwon, Q-Tip, Ludacris, and Pharoahe Monch guest spots that assure mediocracy.
so true.
not at all, Pharoahe in the right mindstate over a heavy blues track like "I Got Mine" could be truly great.

varick pyr

Post by varick pyr »

<object width="400" height="220"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... llscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... llscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="220"></embed></object>

ric

Post by ric »

album has potential to be either sweet in the sense that they would take live instrumentation and go beyond the typical hiphop sound (unlike Gold Lemons, unlike a lot of Roots records) but it could also have the potential for pure suckery

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Never heard of them.

varick pyr

Post by varick pyr »

RZA in the cut......

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-DovWd5MIvQ&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-DovWd5MIvQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

dat piff

Post by dat piff »

varick pyr wrote:RZA in the cut......

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-DovWd5MIvQ&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-DovWd5MIvQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>
that shit was dope
ImageImageImage

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

whoah....by the time he started rapping i was getting spine tingles :pause:. that was fucking dope.
Last edited by intuition on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voss

Post by Voss »

intuition wrote:whoah....by the time he started rapping i was getting spin tingles :pause:. that was fucking dope.
Seconded.
Not to sound knee-jerk, but this shit has gotta be dope.

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

Voss wrote:
intuition wrote:whoah....by the time he started rapping i was getting spin tingles :pause:. that was fucking dope.
Seconded.
Not to sound knee-jerk, but this shit has gotta be dope.
yeah man, i'm actually going to avoid any other leaks. i about played out that hoochie coo joint already.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

intuition wrote:whoah....by the time he started rapping i was getting spine tingles :pause:. that was fucking dope.
this makes me optimistic about the album

anybody get the feeling that this snippet is maybe what rza wanted 8 diagrams to sound like?
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

SilverWHK

Post by SilverWHK »

this looks like it's going to be classic.

sorry to be a nerd, but does anyone know the studio they were in for the first three videos?

starks

Post by starks »

these videos are dope as hell
Last edited by starks on Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

If you dig the Black Keys but aren't feeling their changeup, check out http://www.myspace.com/leftlanecruiser

dat piff

Post by dat piff »

the album will be worth that rza song alone... if that's all that comes out of it ill be happy to have that.. hope the rest don't fuck it up
ImageImageImage