New Skyzoo

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

truconfidence

New Skyzoo

Post by truconfidence »

It leaked...I really like this album, would put it in my top5 for the year, wondered if anyone else has heard this. Production wise is sick....9th came pretty good on this, I wasnt always a big fan of his. But Illmind's Dear Whoever is epic.

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

Downloading now...listened to the snippets...sounds pretty dope...always liked Sky

RAZAH CUTZ

Post by RAZAH CUTZ »

review:

After capturing Hip-Hop heads with his extensive work on the mixtape circuit and a monster of an EP with 9th Wonder, Brooklyn's heir apparent to masterful storytellers like Masta Ace and illustrious hustlers like Jiggaman bursts onto Hip-Hop's consciousness with his full length debut "The Salvation". Armed with a robust assemblage of the game's brightest producers and a dense lexicon of penned compositions we're taken on a journey through the complex and observant world of Skyzoo as he joins the fight to restore good music to the culture.

Wasting little time warming up, Sky immediately pushes the pedal to the floor with his sharp wordplay, layering rhymes and chaining them together forming non-stop caravans of weighty adages over soulful, well-picked beat selections. The Bed-Stuy product fuses his words like a master welder binds metals, displaying those ever impressive flashes of intellectual acumen, but connecting with his audience via the on-going theme of struggle and "coming up". "Under Pressure" and the final (and perhaps best) track "Maintain" find him sort of presenting a mentality of a young, hungry kid that has the brawn and the brains to go all the way, but finds himself on the outs and a permanent underdog nevertheless. A captivating, affecting storyline indeed.

lifelike and natural themes on tracks like "The Opener", "Penmanship", "My Interpretation", "Dear Whoever" and "The Necessary Evils" add a fine polish to an already amazingly cultivated album, which by the way, only has a couple guest features on it. The fact that Sky didn't cave in and use what I'm sure are extensive connections within the Hip-Hop community to flood "The Salvation" with interloping excess is a sign that he truly does get it. His understanding that an album is supposed to be an artist's vision and not one long glorified posse cut demonstrates creative maturity and a commitment to long extinct, yet winning formulas that should appeal to older heads who came up in an era when MC's could easily hold down albums dolo. Sky emits the same command of ship as his forefathers and makes it abundantly apparent that this LP isn't some weak 12 track excursion flooded with a who's who of NYC mixtape personalities. Instead, he Hands us 16 full solo tracks that are all at least two minutes and fifty seconds long, making a strong statement about his abilities and work ethic.

The good bulk of the LP remains on course through a terrain of challenging subject matter, but Sky does take some time to show that he can appeal to the fairer sex (and bore the hell out of the other), crooning it up on the 9th Wonder laced "Easy to Fly". Featuring the sultry vocal backing of another Justus League affiliate, Carlitta Durand, Sky ditches the witty metaphors and indulges the ladies with tales of extravagance and high end getaways. Despite a winning beat from 9th I was left feeling a little indifferent toward the track. "Popularity", one of the singles released for the album and one of Nottz's two production contributions, sort of emanates that same stale aloofness unfortunately and I'm unsure why Sky felt that among the rest of the stellar work these two joints were suited to be included.

By the end of the record there should be little doubt left about who the future of the game should be. Skyzoo is as capable and versatile as any new face and a whole lot of the older ones too. "The Salvation" is a triumph and instantly registers as one of the best albums of 2009. Maybe it's not enough to completely save the game, but it definitely just gave it some much needed mouth-to-mouth and chest compressions.....

A Purehip-hop pick at 8 out of 10.

-BIG D O

http://purehip-hop.blogspot.com/2009/09 ... ation.html

truconfidence

good review

Post by truconfidence »

I'm loving this album, havent taken it out the Cd player or the Ipod today....I actually like Easy to Fly....i guess i'm soft....The one negative and its small to me, the choruses throughout the record are so not well thought thru....they get like really, you're backing up that incredible verse with that??? But beats and lyrics wise, i'd put it at the top right now of my list, ill give it a week before i stand behind that....the illmind track is serious crack along with The opener, they are WOW type tracks to me.

daskap

Post by daskap »

shit is dope as fuck to me, I'm not really sure why he went with The Beautiful Decay and Popularity as his two lead singles, they're the weakest joints on the album.
giving ya'll the lick like two broads

Mansfield Status

Post by Mansfield Status »

not one mention of Just Blazes beat.. you people fucking disgust me..

truconfidence

Post by truconfidence »

haha, I love that Just song too. This album is fucking disguistingly good, IMO. Skyzoo obviously isn't just a mixtape rapper. This album shows craftmanship. No guests...16 tracks...nice feel tot he album the vibe is similar other than popularity. The kid is sick with the lyrics....I wasnt a huge fan before thougth he was dope had potential, But motherfuckers need to talk about him after this.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

The Black Milk and Just Blaze tracks are my favs.

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

I gotta cop it when i get a chance. He's heavily influenced by early jay-z too.

Versive

Post by Versive »

new skyzoo, going over some axelrod shit
he rips it

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ShdwgIoIKpU?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ShdwgIoIKpU?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

truconfidence

Post by truconfidence »

I was going to post this...glad you did..he blacked out on this. There are some really jaw dropping lines in that. Really like what he is doing with his career. Now if we can get him and Sha Stimuli to do an album rather than him and Torae...then we are getting somewhere.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: New Skyzoo

Post by Employee »

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

Employee wrote:
This is pretty nice. Kweli is a good fit for this song/beat as well. He kinna went in on this.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Not a huge Skyzoo fan, but he's got a collab album coming out with Pete Rock next month. Two of them put a banger out yesterday. Apparently an old beat PR had.

1. Men Like Us
2. Glorious
3. Truck Jewels ft. Pete Rock
4. Carry Tradition ft. Style P
5. Homegrown
6. It's All Good
7. Ten Days
8. Richie
9. Penny Jerseys
10. One Time ft Raheem Devaguhn
11. Eastern Conference All-Starts ft Westside Gunn, Conway, Benny Elzhi
12. The Audacity Of Dope