Serious Question: Is Mos Def really this important...?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Employee
Fast Eddie

Serious Question: Is Mos Def really this important...?

Post by Employee »

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6xsPqUoa1pA&co ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6xsPqUoa1pA&co ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

no but they KNEW they'd get a reaction out of him and people (us) would talk about it.

starks

Post by starks »

he's turned into a drama queen

took him an hour to come out for his set inbetween the opener and at one point one of the stage lights turned into natural light (from being all red) and he had a little freak out

"I'M TRYING TO CREATE AT ATMOSPHERE"

lol

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

a homie of mine played a show in europe with mos def and i guess he made a huge scene at the hotel when checking in because he couldn't get his "regular room".

acted like a straight up bitch apparently.

Chigorin

Post by Chigorin »

we're talking about it. with feigned interest.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

dude apparently has kids (or a kid) in vancouver & is here fairly often

not big on his recent music.. but he's into cool shit & is always entertaining on real time w/ bill maher
plus he said he wasn't really feeling drake which is always a plus

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ackbar wrote: plus he said he wasn't really feeling drake which is always a plus
I thought it was illegal for Canadians to dislike Drake.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Employee wrote:
ackbar wrote: plus he said he wasn't really feeling drake which is always a plus
the rest of canada doesn't even exist to "tha t-dot"

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ackbar wrote:
Employee wrote:
:copy:

Req

Post by Req »

ackbar wrote:
Employee wrote:
nor should it

and how the fuck does your boyfriend that dissed Drake have fucked up teeth livin in Canada??
F.U. MOOLAH

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

sounds like you have a lot of hangups with other men's appearances

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Employee wrote:
ackbar wrote:
Employee wrote:
:copy:
this is only half true now. five years ago, it was gospel. :ironmike:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Iron Sheik
Loves Watching Lean On Me

Post by The Iron Sheik »

Balzac wrote:a homie of mine played a show in europe with mos def and i guess he made a huge scene at the hotel when checking in because he couldn't get his "regular room".

i played a show with mos def in london at shepherds bush empire

and the promoter told us he was threatening not to play unless he got the hotel he had last time he played which was apparently twice as big as the one they gave him. he also had a bottle of moet on his rider

oh and he made explicit order to the promoter that no openers be on stage when he came to soundcheck but he showed up early and came on stage as i was finishing up checking and was actually very friendly

weird

that said, i think the ecstatic is a great album

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

The Iron Sheik wrote:
Balzac wrote:a homie of mine played a show in europe with mos def and i guess he made a huge scene at the hotel when checking in because he couldn't get his "regular room".

and the promoter told us he was threatening not to play unless he got the hotel he had last time he played which was apparently twice as big as the one they gave him. he also had a bottle of moet on his rider

oh and he made explicit order to the promoter that no openers be on stage when he came to soundcheck but he showed up early and came on stage as i was finishing up checking and was actually very friendly

weird

yeah totally... you hear both sides of things with Mos. (no pun intended)

I saw him at Rock the Bells in New Jersey and I hadn't seen him in a bit so I went up to him and was like "what up nice to see you again! can i take a picture, i'm documenting my Jersey trip" and he was totally cool with it, big smile and everything.

few weeks later, someone told me "how'd you get that picture? Mos don't take pictures, he hates that and smashed someone's camera for asking him"

so yeah... whatevski.

I dig the Ecstatic too... people are sleeping on that album. Top 20 this year.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

so moral of the story dante is a prick in real life but is talented where he can actually make good music when he wants to.

sad ape

Post by sad ape »

Employee wrote:
I'm Canadian.
Drake is a clown shoe.
Hmph

BeHemoth
Bam Bam

Post by BeHemoth »

sad ape wrote:
Employee wrote:
I'm Canadian.
Drake is a clown shoe.

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
The Iron Sheik wrote:

weird

yeah totally... you hear both sides of things with Mos. (no pun intended)

I saw him at Rock the Bells in New Jersey and I hadn't seen him in a bit so I went up to him and was like "what up nice to see you again! can i take a picture, i'm documenting my Jersey trip" and he was totally cool with it, big smile and everything.

few weeks later, someone told me "how'd you get that picture? Mos don't take pictures, he hates that and smashed someone's camera for asking him"

so yeah... whatevski.

I dig the Ecstatic too... people are sleeping on that album. Top 20 this year.
top 20? that aint sayin much b

starks

Post by starks »

i don't get the album.

it definitely wins the award for most consistent in terms of all the beats sound like they came from the same producer and mos laid it all down in the same studio in a short period but its a babbling culture cluster-fuck

like what the fuck is he talking about on the whole album?

why would anyone listen to it more than once other than to hear slick rick or the few songs where he remembers what melody is.

i feel like the whole thing was a mistake and it was meant to be named the eccentric. which would make sense. its like he's trying to emulate DOOM (minus the singing) or something except failing because DOOM says some pretty hilarious shit. and there is nothing entertaining about this album.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Haitian Jack wrote:top 20? that aint sayin much b
when there's 20 CDs/mixtapes/SHIT every 3 days for the whole year?

i think it is.

there's songs on 'The Ecstatic' I'll be playing years from now. LOTS of shit in 2009 I won't be playing EVER AGAIN :nut:

'Life In Marvelous Times' is a wicked song.

supnick

Post by supnick »

that song sux bro, it seems like a diet version of a good mos song

but casa bey and auditorium and shit >>>>>>>>>

sneed

Post by sneed »

two dudes talking about what mos def was doing in his personal life at a hotel is :omggay:

You never get mad ever? imagine having fan boys see you get mad then run and talk about it to their friends and the internet.

And his last album is really good in case you missed it.

christopher walken

Post by christopher walken »

Yeah, Mos, may be and more than likely is a dickfir, but that's no surprise. And as aforementioned, The Ecstatic was a dope record, the best he's put out since B.O.B.S., without question. Beats on a lot of the record were monstrous. It's a top 10 record on my end-of-year list.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Drake wrote:ג€œIג€™m here feeling like 50 back in ג€˜02/ And everybody saying Iג€™m the man/ So true.ג€
:err: :err: :err: :err: :err: / :err: :err: :err: :err: :err:

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

sneed wrote:

two dudes talking about what mos def was doing in his personal life at a hotel is :omggay:

You never get mad ever? imagine having fan boys see you get mad then run and talk about it to their friends and the internet.

:owens:

i'm a big mos def fan. ecstatic is great and i still listen to it regularly.

starks

Post by starks »

damn if the dude can't still spit when he wants to

more of that exhibit b snippet

http://usershare.net/ltnetq63b8sg

verse is almost as good as the one on rising down

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Balzac wrote:
sneed wrote:

:owens:

i'm a big mos def fan. ecstatic is great and i still listen to it regularly.
anyone who persecutes anyone else over one bad incident is small-minded. unless you stab a baby to death on stage or something, nobody can be judged by one negative act.

some superstars are sensitive, though.

that 140 page Beyonce backstage rider must be kinda nuts to deal with, still. :rofl:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

^^^ i dont know the number exactly, i heard it was huge at one point, don't taze me bro :megaman: