Non Phixion - The Future Is Now

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Kick a Dope Verse

Non Phixion - The Future Is Now

Post by Kick a Dope Verse »

What does Philaflava think?

Personally I think it's the only good thing to have come out of that entire camp. Few duds, sure, but on the whole it's what I'd call a modern classic.

somebody cool

Post by somebody cool »

the q-unique album is the best album to come out of the camp

the album is good, overated by white kids on the internet, but its a good "underground" album. i think necro should've done more beats, i like the dusty/raw sound he brought w/ songs like "black helicopters" and "say goodbye to yesterday".

i think some nonphixion songs from the earlier years shouldve been on here and it would've been way better. songs from "the past present and future is now" like "they got", "14 years of rap", "no tomorrow", "i shot reagan", "gangsta rap", "four w's" and "the 5 boros".

^^those couldve been on there over some of the other songs (like the doom joint or the rock remix of "cia is trying to kill me"
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c0DslR0grbw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed>

Kick a Dope Verse

somebody cool wrote:the q-unique album is the best album to come out of the camp

the album is good, overated by white kids on the internet, but its a good "underground" album. i think necro should've done more beats, i like the dusty/raw sound he brought w/ songs like "black helicopters" and "say goodbye to yesterday".

i think some nonphixion songs from the earlier years shouldve been on here and it would've been way better. songs from "the past present and future is now" like "they got", "14 years of rap", "no tomorrow", "i shot reagan", "gangsta rap", "four w's" and "the 5 boros".

^^those couldve been on there over some of the other songs (like the doom joint or the rock remix of "cia is trying to kill me"

Word, got all those joints.

The C.I.A. Is Still Trying to Kill Me is horrid, definitely wish they left it off.

Out of all the albums on that hardcore/sci-fi tip, would you say it's the best?

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

^^^somebody cool, in your sig, that verse that starts at 1:04 makes me think i need to check for more of his shit, any suggestions?

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

very dope album

the green cd/dvd is dope as well

i wish they would have finished their last album

Goretex- The Art of Dying is very very ill

Kick a Dope Verse

Neuro wrote:very dope album

the green cd/dvd is dope as well

i wish they would have finished their last album

Goretex- The Art of Dying is very very ill
I saw the track listing for The Green CD/DVD a while back and it seemed like a compilation of stuff I already had. Is there anything exclusive on it? Also, any idea what the DVD's like? I'm very much into that sort of thing.

Listening to The C.I.A. Is Still Trying to Kill Me again. Christ, it's worse than Rip Rock.

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

Dope album and an underground classic imo. I had the green cover mixtape compilation thing they did before that got me into them. Glad they used the illmatic trio of large professor, primo, and pete rock too.

Kick a Dope Verse

blessingindisguise wrote:Dope album and an underground classic imo. I had the green cover mixtape compilation thing they did before that got me into them. Glad they used the illmatic trio of large professor, primo, and pete rock too.
Word, they really got on their shit. We Are the Future reminds me of Nas - Star Wars. Actually, when I first heard Star Wars I was able to instantly ID the producer based on that.

"Analysin' the anguish on a fiend's face."

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Was the album that got me into Hip-Hop period, during my teen years. After that, I discovered pretty much everything I love now. Save for a few tracks, I think most of the album is pretty good. Underground classic probably, but nowadays, not my sort of thing anymore.

But I have to give it credit for sucking me into the world of Hip-Hop.

Kick a Dope Verse

Yohan wrote:Was the album that got me into Hip-Hop period, during my teen years. After that, I discovered pretty much everything I love now. Save for a few tracks, I think most of the album is pretty good. Underground classic probably, but nowadays, not my sort of thing anymore.

Word, I think it has that type of appeal. Just out of random interest, what's more your steez these days?

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Kick a Dope Verse wrote:
Yohan wrote:Was the album that got me into Hip-Hop period, during my teen years. After that, I discovered pretty much everything I love now. Save for a few tracks, I think most of the album is pretty good. Underground classic probably, but nowadays, not my sort of thing anymore.

Word, I think it has that type of appeal. Just out of random interest, what's more your steez these days?
I started out with the shallow Hip-Hop, when I was like 14, Tupac and Biggie and whatnot. Then a period of dark, underground Non-Phixion camp Hip-Hop and eventually I discovered Illmatic which made me more interested in that type of music.

Usually listen to old school Hip-Hop, or some new shit like Jay Electronica, Joe Budden (pause), Crooked I, Blu, things like that. That Non-Phixion, mad-at-the-world phase is gone. Call it puberty haha.

Kick a Dope Verse

Yohan wrote:
Kick a Dope Verse wrote:

I started out with the shallow Hip-Hop, when I was like 14, Tupac and Biggie and whatnot. Then a period of dark, underground Non-Phixion camp Hip-Hop and eventually I discovered Illmatic which made me more interested in that type of music.

Usually listen to old school Hip-Hop, or some new shit like Jay Electronica, Joe Budden (pause), Crooked I, Blu, things like that. That Non-Phixion, mad-at-the-world phase is gone. Call it puberty haha.
I can't co-sign anything that deems Ready to Die shallow but I will say that Uncle Howie Records has a fanbase rife with abhorrent angsty whiggers and that old school hip hop is greater than, which, ironically, is what helps make The Future Is Now shine.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Kick a Dope Verse wrote:
Yohan wrote:
Kick a Dope Verse wrote:

I can't co-sign anything that deems Ready to Die shallow but I will say that Uncle Howie Records has a fanbase rife with abhorrent angsty whiggers and that old school hip hop is greater than, which, ironically, is what helps make The Future Is Now shine.
Ready To Die isn't shallow, no, but that wasn't generally what I was listening to as a teen. Let's just leave it at that :cheers:

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

it was pretty good when it came out. a few tracks sucked but it was pretty good. havent listened to it in years and doubt i will ever listen to it on purpose again

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

a great album at the time with stellar production. album has aged very poorly though.

Conspiracy

Post by Conspiracy »

i like "Cult Leader" and "Strange Universe" with MF Doom and "Futurama"

those are the best underground songs since Leaders of the New School

[Non-Phixion, the white L.O.N.S in a different way/sence of things]
necro is always a favorite producer

ill bill got the revolutionary rebel lyricalism
Mr. Hyde and Goretex are ok as MCs...kinda plain

the cover was cool , too....

the messages are still relevant and important, yet LaCokaNostra continues

so the legacy will live on.....

"The Sexorcist" got a song called 'black hole'....in-fucking-goddamn-credible
ILL BILL FOR MAYOR

CONSPIRACY
www.conspiracyscreations.com
everybody sharing all the food, liquor, drugs, and money for free spiritual knowledge and PUSSY....
extraterrestrial illumination has been discovered!(Really.)
top 10-BUSTA-RZA-AZ-REDMAN-NAPTRON-APATHY-ABSTRACT RUDE-BLACK THOUGHT-DR DRE-SCARFACE (and Supernatural as a bonus 11*)
2010 C

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Philaflava wrote:a great album at the time with stellar production. album has aged very poorly though.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Conspiracy wrote:Non-Phixion, the white L.O.N.S in a different way/sence of things
:ohsh:

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Sabac kinda ruins some of the songs with his Che Guevara gheyness.

Ill Bill was actually kinda good up until this release.

Goretex is easily the best mc in the group/camp IMO. Hes the only one with a good voice and a durable delivery.

About half of the album really fucken bangs. Co-sign No Tomorrow should've been there. I like Dust too, great song. Let's be honest tho, these guys are fucken cornballs of the highest order.

LOL now I feel like downloading this shit. I lost my copy, lol yes, I actually bought this with my paper-route doe.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Verge

Post by Verge »

Kick a Dope Verse wrote:
blessingindisguise wrote:Dope album and an underground classic imo. I had the green cover mixtape compilation thing they did before that got me into them. Glad they used the illmatic trio of large professor, primo, and pete rock too.
Word, they really got on their shit. We Are the Future reminds me of Nas - Star Wars. Actually, when I first heard Star Wars I was able to instantly ID the producer based on that.

Large Pro sampled the same David Axelrod track for both songs and also
for "Hip Hop" from his own album,"1st Class".
It's from Axelrod's "Seriously Deep" album. I forgot the name of the
song.

I liked more than half the album when it dropped. Not so much now.
I think Goretex is nice with his, the Mexican Herb McGruff. :omgracist:

Their Green promo/album cassette, that was pretty much their
shelved Geffen album from the 90's, was dope.
I'm pretty sure it's basically the same as that Green DVD/CD that came
out eventually.
Last edited by Verge on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Axelrod is my 2nd favorite jew, right behind Seinfeld.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

The Iron Sheik
Loves Watching Lean On Me

Post by The Iron Sheik »

this album is near classic, really great production and solid performances

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

i dunno man ill bill is still ill

the young ill bill was my favorite but hes still awesome

while there are some corny type stuff on his new album i believe it to be a dope album

or maybe the album cover tricked me?

haha

i havent listened to La Coka Nostra much , ill bill is clearly the best emcee in that group or least the one you are waiting for to rap in the songs

Verge

Post by Verge »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Axelrod is my 2nd favorite jew, right behind Seinfeld.
Did't know he was teh jew.
Gonna have to make him my second fav jew, too.
Only behind :larry: and probably a few other comedians I can't
think of right now.
:omgracist:

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

somebody cool wrote:i think some nonphixion songs from the earlier years shouldve been on here and it would've been way better. songs from "the past present and future is now" like "they got", "14 years of rap", "no tomorrow", "i shot reagan", "gangsta rap", "four w's" and "the 5 boros".
Agreed. Non-Phixions schtick is a little corny, but I still like the early 12"s a lot, and this album is decent.

I met Ill Bill once, surprisingly nice guy!

DIE

Kick a Dope Verse

Yohan wrote:
Conspiracy wrote:Non-Phixion, the white L.O.N.S in a different way/sence of things
:ohsh:
That is seriously :ohsh:. I mean, you can explain, but...
Verge wrote:
Kick a Dope Verse wrote:

Large Pro sampled the same David Axelrod track for both songs and also
for "Hip Hop" from his own album,"1st Class".
It's from Axelrod's "Seriously Deep" album. I forgot the name of the
song.

I liked more than half the album when it dropped. Not so much now.
I think Goretex is nice with his, the Mexican Herb McGruff. :omgracist:

Their Green promo/album cassette, that was pretty much their
shelved Geffen album from the 90's, was dope.
I'm pretty sure it's basically the same as that Green DVD/CD that came
out eventually.
Yo, you should really get on Soulseek more. I'm Espirando.
Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Axelrod is my 2nd favorite jew, right behind Seinfeld.
Word, Axelrod is ill. Does Holy Thursday rank as one of the most sampled songs in hip hop history?

I feel the need to mention the fact that this album's titles are ridiculous. The Future Is Now, Futurama, There Is No Future, We Are the Future--just doesn't make any sense. Even the name Non Phixion, haha.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

pretty great album

i like some of their non-non-phixino stuff here & there.. but only select tracks ('what's wrong with bill' for example)

Kick a Dope Verse

Y@k Bollocks wrote:
somebody cool wrote:i think some nonphixion songs from the earlier years shouldve been on here and it would've been way better. songs from "the past present and future is now" like "they got", "14 years of rap", "no tomorrow", "i shot reagan", "gangsta rap", "four w's" and "the 5 boros".
Agreed. Non-Phixions schtick is a little corny, but I still like the early 12"s a lot, and this album is decent.

I met Ill Bill once, surprisingly nice guy!

DIE
Word, VLSs be hot.

Make sure you watch around 3:00, guy in the tall T's a clown:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cXHdKoVY1lU&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cXHdKoVY1lU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

Not a classic but damn good. Only a few average beats/songs. The apocalyptical rebellious political subject matter can get somewhat monotonous, but I can dig it. Their deliveries can also get tiresome, but I am just nitpicking. Real dope album and I could put it in the top 25 of the decade in the 20-25 range.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

extreme awkwardness in that video above.