The Philaflava Project (2009)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

dirtybird

Post by dirtybird »

Thanks Jason and Alaska, for making it happen. I appreciate the opportunity to share my music. Everyone came with some nice music. The vanderslice/ open mike eagle track is the best song on here, in my opinion. The beat is solid and what mike does with it is damn impressive. I'll give some more detailed feedback after some more listens. And...thanks to Nathan Blaze for collaborating!

wuk

Post by wuk »

downloading now...WES RESTLESS kills it with raps and singing as well, stop sleeping. wes post some of your shit on here.
ryebread mixes. <--------download

self

Post by self »

hey guys good job.

That Vanderslice beat is amazing.
Big Scen and Intuition dem dudes got raps...
Godamus and Stik track is the best executed song on the project...
Mike Eagle is dope. We got some talened folks on these here forums

best,
charles

JustDuWitt

Post by JustDuWitt »

Quite buttery.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

overall pretty quality project. definitely think that the mike eagle/vanderslice track and the intuition track are the two standouts.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Nathan Blaze's voice reminds me of Celph Titled, but writes much better.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

Philaflava wrote:Nathan Blaze's voice reminds me of Celph Titled, but writes much better.
like much, much better.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

mike eagle wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Nathan Blaze's voice reminds me of Celph Titled, but writes much better.
like much, much better.
Ha word. That song brings a tear to my eye, then Galvatron brings another, but its a tear of joy.

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

Yo I've being dealing with the gout in both ankles so I can definitely relate to the nathan blaze track.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Philaflava wrote:
mike eagle wrote:
like much, much better.
Ha word. That song brings a tear to my eye, then Galvatron brings another, but its a tear of joy.
That EP he put out a while back is serious.
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/nathanblaze

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Here's my synopsis:

1. I remember trying to write something to this beat and thinking it would be a posse cut. So I wrote the average battle rap. Godamus came up with an original concept for this beat that fit it well. Dope way to open up the project.

2. Alaska.......it was worth the wait. This is definitely reminiscent of your work on Sweep The Leg.

3. Vanderslice and Mike Eagle working together, like I said before, was the biggest surprise on this whole project. That beat is perfect for Mike. Not only that, he picked a good topic about everybody wanting it to be their birthday when they rap.

4. Big Scen, you get the :phila: stamp of approval from me. I heard that you spit but never your music. Good stuff.

5. I like my verses on this and as I've said, I sent this to Alaska and Phila as a rough to see if they dug the direction. Alaska even admitted it needed to be mixed better. Once I did my song to Chance's track, I scrapped and figured they'd use that instead. But they liked it so they put it on here. Once I get it mixed, I'll re-up a better version of this track.

6. Self has that ill mid-west delivery on this. Very self-reflective track. And from building with this dude, I can see where he's coming from.

7. Yeah, Nathan does remind me of Celph. The feel of the beat and from some of the content, for some reason it sounds like something The Grouch would do. In any event, Nathan.....since we're both in the DMV, we gotta jump on a track together for another one of these projects.

8. Galvy is always on-point. Nuff said. I'm all about hearing that new project though. Whats the deal?

9. From meeting intuition, this track is definitely him. The most sarcastic and funniest song on the whole project.

10. Aye, for real, I honestly would've loved to have been on this track. Most remakes don't come out this good. I think what tops this most is how melodic the chorus sounds.

11. Originally, me and Self were supposed to be on this track. But something fell through on Self's end, so I ended up writing he whole thing. Chance named the beat "Feel Nothing" so I just went with that idea. I enjoyed writing the verses to this and going off. Hope you guys dig it.

12. Big Scen brings out the honesty on this track. Dopeness.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Steve Lurkel

Post by Steve Lurkel »

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Good to get some respect from the other talented rappers/producers on :phila: , and its mutual, believe me.

i also find it hilarious that Gloss likes my music, since i embody everything he hates in this world. :megaman:

Gloss/alaska, i shot ya'll an email to the PFproject account. hit me back when you get a chance.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Steve Lurkel wrote:Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Good to get some respect from the other talented rappers/producers on :phila: , and its mutual, believe me.

i also find it hilarious that Gloss likes my music, since i embody everything he hates in this world. :megaman:

Gloss/alaska, i shot ya'll an email to the PFproject account. hit me back when you get a chance.
i think we both responded yesterday to that email. also don't take my scthick too seriously on here. i do like white rappers, just a few though.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

hey scen. i havent checked it. i will give it a look but i will probably reply from my yahoo acct.

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

sat down and absorbed this album in it's entirety today.

very good music here.

surprised that a forum project turned out this well.

props due to gloss and alaska for pulling this off.

:phila: represent. the wait was worth it.

now, let's promote the hell out of this.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I'd love to see what the other forums like Sage or Sole have to say about this.

Steve Lurkel

Post by Steve Lurkel »

just threw this up on lethalville.

bout to reply to your email Tim.

Gloss I didn't get anything from you. maybe gmail has failed me.

Nathan Blaze

Post by Nathan Blaze »

ardamus wrote:7. Yeah, Nathan does remind me of Celph. The feel of the beat and from some of the content, for some reason it sounds like something The Grouch would do. In any event, Nathan.....since we're both in the DMV, we gotta jump on a track together for another one of these projects.
LOL @ Celph Titled. :owens:

As for a collab... I'm down for whatever. Let's do it.
Julius Seizure wrote:Yo I've being dealing with the gout in both ankles so I can definitely relate to the nathan blaze track.
Ouch, well get better homie! Thanks for listening.
dirtybird wrote:thanks to Nathan Blaze for collaborating!
:cheers:

Thanks to everyone for their comments! It's appreciated.

zygmontone

Post by zygmontone »

just downloaded, can't wait to listen

much respect for putting this all together

dirtybird

Post by dirtybird »

1--Godamus prod. wes restless...Shit is clean. Godamus is talented at rapping and mixing. Great song. Good start to the album

2- Alaska prod. blockhead...dope... I'd like more low end to the beat, but it's nice. nice use of samples. I've never really listened to Alaska before, but this is pretty nice. I would definitely like to hear more

3-Mike Eagle prod. vanderslice...i don't normally like vanderslice's grandiose sounding beats, but this beat is different. I really like this beat. Mike rides this beat really well. The singing/rapping combo is sick. The best track on the album, in my opinion.

4-Big Scen prod. falside...nice solid track. Never heard Big Scen before, but this is nice. Beat is simple, but does the trick.

5-Ardy-- To be honest, I really don't like this beat. It's just a bit repetitive. If this was remixed with a better mix, I think I'd like the vocals. No hate...just not really feeling this one.

6-self- chance...dope...i like this. probably my favorite out of the three versions. self is really talented. i like your overdubs a lot. beat's solid too.

7-painless...good to work with nathan. dude's talented.

8-hype williams- like the concept and the execution, but I wish the vocals were mixed better. good song

9-intuition - EQ-...dope. very formulaic, but song is creative and entertaining. you've got your style polished. beat's nice. mellow, harmless beat. i agree with the rhymesayers statements

10-godamus and stik figa-...shit's dope. both emcees brought something nice. Mix is great. love this song. One of the best on the album.

11-ardamus prod. chance...dope I'm feeling this. beat's solid, and ardamus sounds good on this.

12-big scen- prod. chance...feeling this. like this big scen track more than the other. no complaints. nice to listen to.

good work everyone. pretty solid album
Steve Lurkel wrote:
Dirty bird is cool. Did you by chance grow up in ithaca, NY. and if so, are you a ginger?
no..i'm from ca

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

it was a slow monday...

naw but seriously, how could I not spread the good word. This project is dope.

I can't wait for 2010's solo EPs.

also any rappers who were on this that got shit dropping in 2010 and want press: blake@imposemagazine.com

I rarely check out :phila: rappers, except the ones that contact me. I don't think I've blown anybody off, yet.

Steve Lurkel

Post by Steve Lurkel »

GM Dizzy Skillespie wrote:
it was a slow monday...

naw but seriously, how could I not spread the good word. This project is dope.

I can't wait for 2010's solo EPs.

also any rappers who were on this that got shit dropping in 2010 and want press: blake@imposemagazine.com

I rarely check out :phila: rappers, except the ones that contact me. I don't think I've blown anybody off, yet.
Do i need to give you a heads up now? or can i put it in my address book and hit you up a few weeks/month in advance of the release date?

thanks. appreciate the support and spreading the word dude.

-scen

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

address book it.

this last month is going to be coasting...
best of lists and shit.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

GM Dizzy Skillespie wrote:
will do.

Nathan Blaze

Post by Nathan Blaze »

awesome.

Nathan Blaze

Post by Nathan Blaze »

Anybody still playing this?

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Having listened to this a couple times, I have a couple things I'll give my thoughts on:

1)Godamus. I haven't heard any of your shit besides what's on here, but you need to quit your dayjob and open for sean across the country. Loved the reveal on the Getaway. Passin Me Boy 09 will be played for years. Brilliant. I'm gonna check for Stik Figa off the strength.

2)Open Mike Eagle. Wow. Not at all what I expected. At the very least, you have a future as a hook guy extradonaire. That's meant as a compliment.

3)Nathan Blaze is dope. Loved the concept, and wanna hear him over some more up tempo shit. Yes, the Celph-Titled comparisons will come.

4)Galvy is ridic. Block, Vandy, you need to light a fire under this dude and produce a great album. Needs some Godamus singing though. Most charismatic dude on the site.

5)Co-sign everything said about Intuition. He has it. Book him on the west coast swing of sean's Godamus tour.

6)Ardamus can be hit or miss. Wasn't really feeling the two songs on this, though I loved Say To The Heart. Dude is mad talented either way and I didn't know he produced. Not bad at all.

7)Big Scen....is white?? AND CANADIAN?! Fuck. Dude is dope, period.

8)Finally...Alaska is my favorite rapper on here. Prolly cause I'm partial to the fast rap. And also cause I'm gonna find myself in NYC soon and gonna want a free beer. But nah, he murdereded Block's beat.

Everyone involved should be really proud of themselves. This plays like a real album and not some randomly thrown together tracks. Props to Gloss and Alaska. Oh, and with all the connections on this site, Passin Me By 09 needs to get some serious play.

But the Sole forum is going to reanimate the boombap dinosaur with the help of the inner city Oakland youth.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I still play this in my car. Each week there are a few songs I just play and then move on. This with its Painless, Everybodys Birthday and Rep To The Fullest. I'm sooooooooooo sick of Lonely, even my wife knows the words to that track now.